Single Length 2 years later

OsnolaKinnard

I played 18 yesterday and shot a 4 over par on the front 9 and 9 over par on the back 9.  The back 9 was actually better than the scorecard shows...I have had some 'health related shenanigans' over the past 14 months' and I literally just hit the wall on the 16th hole and ran out of gas and had two disasters.

Regardless, I have come to some conclusions for me regarding single length irons.  I am a tall golfer 6'4" tall.  Previous fittings have had me at irons based off of a 39" 5 iron and 3* upright lie angle.  My Edels are 37.5" long and 2* upright.  I love the 6-GW but in all honesty now that I have been using them for the past 2 years and have several rounds under my belt, I would have variable length irons in 4-6 irons and SL irons in my 7-GW.

I just don't think the SL Concept offers me any benefit in the longer and middle irons.  I won't say it does  not work, I just don't think it's better, or worse.  In fact, I think they're just sort of mediocre.  It's odd that I hit the 7-GW so well and the 6 iron is LITERALLY the exact same club except for loft, and I do not hit it as well.

Right now, my 'irons' are as follows:  4 iron is a Tour Edge CBX Ironwood.  5 iron is a CBX Ironwood.  6-GW Edel SLS01 irons.  I would like to extend my 6 iron .5" to bring it up to 38" long, and then leave the rest of the irons the same.  I am not sure how this would effect playability...either good or bad.  I removed the Edel SLS 5 iron and am contemplating a 6 iron replacement or lengthening the 6 iron to 38" long.

I will say this... my short iron play, has been fantastic.  I played a links course yesterday in winds that were a constant 10-15 with gusts to 20, and the ability to control trajectory and spin with the 7 iron on down is fantastic.  I hit a lot of knockdowns and little wind cheaters that set up birdie chances and pars.  I have never felt comfortable with an iron that was shorter than a 7 iron, so the 37.5" length for me in the 7-GW makes total sense.  My confidence level in my short irons is at an all time high.  The CBX ironwoods are amazing clubs...fantastic tee clubs, but also great for approaches.  The only club that really does not inspire a ton of confidence is the 6 iron.  It' just OK.

Anyway, I think the SL concept has merit, but I honestly think that 'split' sets are really where it's at.  I think shorter golfers will like the SL 'long and mid irons' and, I think taller golfers benefit from the longer SL 'mid and short irons'.

• Like 3

I knew you from the GEA and I hope things are looking up for your health.

So what’s not happening with your 5 and 6 irons?  Distance? Height?

With your normal 5 iron being 39”, you’re a special case.  

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

This was refreshing to read. I’m 6’5” tall and have always struggled with short irons. Hit my 4-7 irons much better than 8 on down. A split set sounds like the perfect solution. The problem would be wedges. That would be great for full swings, but I’m very comfortable with the standard length from 50 yards in. Time to research!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

I knew you from the GEA and I hope things are looking up for your health.

So what’s not happening with your 5 and 6 irons?  Distance? Height?

With your normal 5 iron being 39”, you’re a special case.  

It is hard to describe, but they just don't do what I want them to do.  Also, mentally, looking down at the flat club that is so short, I want to swing it hard...not good.

Thanks for the well wishes..I remember you too.  Health is looking up.  I had a second run in with cancer in September and now have no kidneys and am 100% dependent on dialysis.  The upside is I literally never have to pee.  I will be eligible for transplant on 9/22.

Edited by OsnolaKinnard
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Nachosgrande said:

This was refreshing to read. I’m 6’5” tall and have always struggled with short irons. Hit my 4-7 irons much better than 8 on down. A split set sounds like the perfect solution. The problem would be wedges. That would be great for full swings, but I’m very comfortable with the standard length from 50 yards in. Time to research!

My SW is an Edel hand ground 55* that is +1".  I tried a 37.5" SW and LW and did not like it for half shots amd short pitches.

I like that slightly longer SW and LW for just the shots you mention.

Edited by OsnolaKinnard
  • Like 1

What you mentioned isn't uncommon with single length. That's why many have been going to two length sets now.

I did a lot of research because I didn't like the Cobras, Wishons and the  Edels weren't available in my area.

I ended up finding True Length Technologies which solves the issues perfectly. Like you I had the same issues, I hated 9i to Wedges, they always felt too short for me and they were inconsistent.

Now my 8i to wedges are a lot longer and the rest are slightly longer with better lie angles.

I would encourage any taller golfers, shorter golfers and single plane swingers especially to check out TLT, it's awesome and you can have the set made with any clubs you want. I ended up going with PXGs because I liked the feel and forgiveness the best.

https://danscustomgolfshop.com/true-length-technology/

There are about 170 fitters world-wide for TLT.

• Like 2

I’ve bought 2 sets of cobra one lengths and sold both sets. I was in the same boat as you, loved the short irons, and hated the Long irons. Hit them too low and had to get roll to get proper distances. Tried the ol hybrids and never really got along with those either. I could easily play ol irons again, but still wouldn’t know what to do about the long irons. If I bought again I’d buy edels. No doubt. 

• Like 1

Just posted this in another SL thread, but I feel it goes well here too.

I  played a set of the Edel SLS01 irons for a couple of seasons and regrettably sold them at the end of this summer season and went back to my old Srixon 945/745 variable set. 

I was fitted in Washington State and ended up getting fit into 3-PW, but with the short iron profile 95g x-stiff in all of the clubs. My driver swing speed can get into the 130mph range with 7 iron carrying about 195. I loved the extra stiff shafts (320cpm) and I even bought a Paderson driver shaft and would go back to the iron shafts in a heart beat. 

When I got fitted I did try out the mid-iron profile shafts but felt a difference in how the shaft kicked, which for me resulted in a little bit of a block. It may be different for slower swing speed players, but I didn't love the idea of having two different shaft profiles in my irons. The main reason I left single length was because I felt my 3-5 iron were not launching high enough. Looking back on it now though, I would take that sacrifice with the comfort of swinging a shorter club. I've learned now to be very slow to sell equipment. 

Now with that being said I am looking to return to a single length set. I purchased a set of the Wishon Sterling heads and am going to get fitted as best as possible at a local fitter to figure out the best build. What I think I'm going to do differently this time is get a heavier steal shaft (thinking Nippon Modus3 130X) in the PW-5 or maybe 6 iron and then go with a lighter, but similar bend profile shaft, probably graphite in the 4 and maybe 5 iron. Maybe even lengthen the shaft a 1/2 inch in the longer irons. For me, I hit very few long-irons in a round, but I am uncomfortable looking down at the long shaft long irons after playing the single length set for a couple of seasons.

• Like 1

I tried Pinhawk SL myself, with FST steel shafts at 8i length (36.5"). Loved the 7-PW, ok with 6, fought with 5 & GW/SW. 5i went to low and GW/SW to high. I tried modifying to dual length, 5/6 at 37" and just moved to trad length GW/SW (Pings I think). Played better, but since it was just a variation of VL, I went back to VL irons (Ping G20 and now Cleveland Launcher UHX). Still can hit a stinky shot with any club, but working on my swing was the reason for more consistent iron play. I am 5'6", so I don't have the issues a tall golfer does with shorter clubs. I have a buddy on my league who is tall. I'll mention to him the idea of having his wedges extended. He has a fast swing, so any add'l swing weight feel shouldn't be a problem.

Hope you win over your medical challenges and have a successful 2021 golf year.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel