Thinking of switching to Counterbalance shafts. Any advice?

I’m thinking of putting counterbalance shafts in my woods. Specifically Small Batch Riptide CB X flex. 60 in my driver, 70 in my woods. I’ve never played these before. I’ve read a little about how they can help you feel the club head more. Sometimes I feel like I’m just swinging an empty hand, if that makes any sense. Feels like all I’m doing is whipping a shaft. Not sure if these will help, or if maybe it’s a swingweight thing. I know I should test them, but that’s not the easiest thing around here. I’d have to drive a couple hours at least to a testing place. I’ve always been more of a “buy it and try it” kind of guy. Any of you shaft aficionados out there have any advice for me? The shafts I’m playing now are in my signature. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Big Bertha B21 Driver 9* Riptide 65X

Sim Ti 3W Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70X

Sim Max 5W EvenFlow Blue 75X

M4 7HL EvenFlow Black 75X

SIM Max 6H Ventus Stiff

G710 7-U Modus 105X

PM Grind ‘19 Tour Grey 54(bent to 52), 56 & 60

Ping Vault 2.0 B60 Copper

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FWIW, everyone is different but typically more "counterbalancing" takes away from the head weight feel, it doesn't add to it.  They have been designed specifically to keep the head weight feel from ge

This video from TXG should help

If your head has adjustable weights built in, you can also switch and put in heavier weights too.

If you like to feel the head more in your swing, you could always just add weight to the head. 

I’ve had great success doing this with a Ping Tour 65x in the past and I currently play a counterbalanced shaft Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX at 44.25 with a lot of weight added to the head in an already heavy head (Ping G410) 

Usually people go counterbalanced shaft to lighten the feel of the head, or play over length not vice versa! 

2 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

If you like to feel the head more in your swing, you could always just add weight to the head. 

I’ve had great success doing this with a Ping Tour 65x in the past and I currently play a counterbalanced shaft Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX at 44.25 with a lot of weight added to the head in an already heavy head (Ping G410) 

Usually people go counterbalanced shaft to lighten the feel of the head, or play over length not vice versa! 

So I have it completely backwards?? Great🤦🏻‍♂️😂 Did you just add weight by lead tape or did you do something more permanent like hot melt?

Big Bertha B21 Driver 9* Riptide 65X

Sim Ti 3W Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70X

Sim Max 5W EvenFlow Blue 75X

M4 7HL EvenFlow Black 75X

SIM Max 6H Ventus Stiff

G710 7-U Modus 105X

PM Grind ‘19 Tour Grey 54(bent to 52), 56 & 60

Ping Vault 2.0 B60 Copper

Just now, JermWRX said:

So I have it completely backwards?? Great🤦🏻‍♂️😂 Did you just add weight by lead tape or did you do something more permanent like hot melt?

I added weight by buying an aftermarket weight 

I purchased a Ping G410lst and it came with a Tensei Orange CK 75x shaft which is counterbalanced. The head came with a 12 or 14 gram weight...., I can’t remember, but they come with different headweight s depending on the shaft from what I’ve seen.  I hated the Tensei Orange, so I went back to my Ping Tour 65X , but hit a G400 with an Aldila Xtorsion Copper 70x in it, and liked it, so I bought 2 Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX shafts 1 at 44.75 and one at 44.25. I tried some different weight combos with each shaft, and found the 20 gram headweight to be best in the 44.25 and the 18 gram works as well in the 44.75, but my dispersion is better with the shorter length. 

I could have...... and may, just because I like the feel of the copper so much ..... get an Xtorsion Green which is similar to the Xtorsion Copper, just not counterbalanced. It’s nice to have options 👍

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I added weight by buying an aftermarket weight 

I purchased a Ping G410lst and it came with a Tensei Orange CK 75x shaft which is counterbalanced. The head came with a 12 or 14 gram weight...., I can’t remember, but they come with different headweight s depending on the shaft from what I’ve seen.  I hated the Tensei Orange, so I went back to my Ping Tour 65X , but hit a G400 with an Aldila Xtorsion Copper 70x in it, and liked it, so I bought 2 Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX shafts 1 at 44.75 and one at 44.25. I tried some different weight combos with each shaft, and found the 20 gram headweight to be best in the 44.25 and the 18 gram works as well in the 44.75, but my dispersion is better with the shorter length. 

I could have...... and may, just because I like the feel of the copper so much ..... get an Xtorsion Green which is similar to the Xtorsion Copper, just not counterbalanced. It’s nice to have options 👍

FWIW, everyone is different but typically more "counterbalancing" takes away from the head weight feel, it doesn't add to it.  They have been designed specifically to keep the head weight feel from getting too heavy with the longer stock playing lengths the OEM's are putting out.

Side note:  "Counterbalanced" shafts is really a bit of a mislabel in the majority of cases.  It's not the same as true counterbalancing where lots of weight is added right in the grip area.   Most really have the weight distribution over the whole shaft adjusted to move the balance point closer to the grip, lowering the swing weight contribution of the shaft.

• Like 4