Riding cart : New or Used?

Advance apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and I haven’t found a thread.

We live on a golf course and I have a nice old riding cart (honestly can’t remember whether it was built in 1985 or 1995, but one of those ).   It came with the property. It works fine, but is looking a bit tired and I’m ready to upgrade. Should I look at new or used?  Other thoughts?   Recommendations?  Thanks 

You need to decide your budget and that will effectively tell you new or used. It will also decide lithium or lead acid batteries. Here’s what you can plan on:

1) New Lithium: will run you between $11k-$17k depending on what options you add to it. 
2) Used Lithium: will run you $7k-$12k depending on options. 
3) New Lead Acid: will run you $5k-$10k depending on options 

4) Used Lead Acid: will run you $3k-$6k depending on number of hours and options. 

If your club will designate it a course cart that you’ll pay an annual trail fee for, I would ask if they would be willing to go to EZ-GO or Club Car and ask about buying one. Clubs can buy them significantly cheaper than private buyers and they may be willing to do this for you. Just keep in mind this is frowned upon by the cart manufacturers. 

• Like 2

Also, I have a lithium electric cart but ended up buying lead acid battery carts for my club because the lithiums have no weight below the seat because the battery is virtually non-existent and the cart is really easy to flip. Found that out with my daughter. Made my decision to stick with lead acid a lot easier. The cart companies will have to figure out a way to fix that problem for me to bring that insurance liability onto my course. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dbelles1 said:

If you are dead set on replacing it then you have to choose between gas or electric. New or used depends on your budget. You can’t really go wrong as long as they are relatively newer. Or, if you have the knowledge, time, and funds rebuild the old cart (or a different one) from the frame up.

Battery powered.  Interesting idea about rebuilding.  Thanks for input.

19 minutes ago, Chilidog said:

You need to decide your budget and that will effectively tell you new or used. It will also decide lithium or lead acid batteries. Here’s what you can plan on:

1) New Lithium: will run you between $11k-$17k depending on what options you add to it. 
2) Used Lithium: will run you $7k-$12k depending on options. 
3) New Lead Acid: will run you $5k-$10k depending on options 

4) Used Lead Acid: will run you $3k-$6k depending on number of hours and options. 

If your club will designate it a course cart that you’ll pay an annual trail fee for, I would ask if they would be willing to go to EZ-GO or Club Car and ask about buying one. Clubs can buy them significantly cheaper than private buyers and they may be willing to do this for you. Just keep in mind this is frowned upon by the cart manufacturers. 

Thank you!  Very helpful.  Club does charge a trail fee and club just got a new fleet this winter.  When I found out about the new fleet I asked the club owner if they could order and extra one for me and he said he'd ask the rep.  Radio silent but if I go new I'll ask again.  

18 minutes ago, Chilidog said:

Also, I have a lithium electric cart but ended up buying lead acid battery carts for my club because the lithiums have no weight below the seat because the battery is virtually non-existent and the cart is really easy to flip. Found that out with my daughter. Made my decision to stick with lead acid a lot easier. The cart companies will have to figure out a way to fix that problem for me to bring that insurance liability onto my course. 

Good to know.  Thanks again.  Totally agree with safety as a top priority.

7 hours ago, dbelles1 said:

If you are dead set on replacing it then you have to choose between gas or electric. New or used depends on your budget. You can’t really go wrong as long as they are relatively newer. Or, if you have the knowledge, time, and funds rebuild the old cart (or a different one) from the frame up.

I will go online to look at rebuilding info/tutorials, but wondering if you have any sources you'd recommend.  Fyi I'm retired so have time and the local cart dealers seem to have "spare parts" to sell me when I've needed something.  

2 hours ago, J295 said:

I will go online to look at rebuilding info/tutorials, but wondering if you have any sources you'd recommend.  Fyi I'm retired so have time and the local cart dealers seem to have "spare parts" to sell me when I've needed something.  

I don’t have many sources/websites off the top of my head but the easiest way is to look through your cart and make a list of what you feel needs upgrading. Then go online or to cart dealers to see if they have what you need. 

I went the rebuild route.  Fortunately, there are a couple of places near me that rebuild golf carts as a side business.  They typically buy fleets that are being "retired" from courses and rebuild them to order for customers.  The two places hear primarily deal in EZ GO.  As a part of the rebuild, newer EZ GOs can be programmed/upgraded to go fairly fast, 25-30mphs, which is fast for on the course but nice when driving in the neighborhood to and from the course.  I was able to choose pretty much any car paint color, seats, wheels, bluetooth with speakers, accessories and an enclosure.  They also offer lithium and traditional lead acid.  I went with the lead acid to save a little $ but a few guys at my club have lithium and seem to like them, although the lithium seem to drain a little faster than lead acid running them at high speeds.

• Like 1

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

I just replaced my '99 Club Car gas with a new gas '21 Yamaha ptv.  I had zero issues with my Club Car, it was in excellent condition, and because of that, I was able to get 3/4 of what I paid for it new in 1999.  I really wanted to upgrade to 4 wheel independent suspension, and wow, does it ever ride smooth compared to what I had and to fleet rental models.  Very quiet.  I should be set for another 20yr!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tdeutmeyer said:

I just replaced my '99 Club Car gas with a new gas '21 Yamaha ptv.  I had zero issues with my Club Car, it was in excellent condition, and because of that, I was able to get 3/4 of what I paid for it new in 1999.  I really wanted to upgrade to 4 wheel independent suspension, and wow, does it ever ride smooth compared to what I had and to fleet rental models.  Very quiet.  I should be set for another 20yr!

Yamaha is also a lot bigger on the interior space so a nice added benefit over a Club Car which is the smallest of the big 3.  

• Like 1

We’ve gone the used lead acid route twice over the years and things worked out well. One thing that helped and I wish I’d done with the first cart was using a different battery charger from the stock cart company charger. It’s called the BatteryMinder.  It does help extend the life and run time of the lead acid batteries.  It’s not cheap, but has been worth it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NCDuffer said:

We’ve gone the used lead acid route twice over the years and things worked out well. One thing that helped and I wish I’d done with the first cart was using a different battery charger from the stock cart company charger. It’s called the BatteryMinder.  It does help extend the life and run time of the lead acid batteries.  It’s not cheap, but has been worth it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m actually using a used charger that I bought from the local golf cart company, and I have gotten five years out of my Trojan batteries. I have no idea if that’s good, bad, or indifferent but it seems OK. 

the big 3 - Club Car, EZ Go and Yamaha - are all great options.  Reliable and easy to repair.  I suggest staying away from the next tier of carts - Star, Icon, Evolution, etc - as they are lower in cost but reliability and parts availability are an issue.

I recently picked up a Club Car Onward HP.  It’s the AC motor version. If you have not driven one, I suggest doing so.  It only tops out at 20mph but it gets there really quick and does not lose speed on hills.  I chose not get lithium batteries yet as it was a $2000 upgrade and the range is less than lead acid batteries.  Hopefully, the next time I need to replace the batteries, the cost will have come down on lithium and the range will have improved.

You can build an Onward at www.clubcar.com .  From what I found, these carts sell at MSRP.

D4B447AE-1CCF-4DA9-B013-1E445A9AEFA5.jpeg

• Like 1
Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

1 hour ago, J295 said:

We see very few Yamaha around our club. Apparently it’s a good brand according to your post?  

Yes, I have an electric Drive2 and love it.  Living in AZ we use our cart a lot!  I looked hard at EZGO, Club Car, and Yamaha.  I would say 80% of the carts in our club are EZGO but since I bought my Yamaha about 6 months ago, 5 others have bought the same cart I have.  Before I had my cart I think there might of been one or two older ones in the entire place.  

I did like the lithium idea but stuck with the lead acid which gave the Yamaha the clear win in my books.  My plan is to possibly convert the cart to lithium when I need to replace the batteries since the cost should be down a lot by that time at the rate prices on lithium is dropping.  The reason you see so few Yamaha's is the dealer network is extremely small compared to their competitors.  

IMG_2574.JPG

Edited by Twinsgroupie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, portland said:

the big 3 - Club Car, EZ Go and Yamaha - are all great options.  Reliable and easy to repair.  I suggest staying away from the next tier of carts - Star, Icon, Evolution, etc - as they are lower in cost but reliability and parts availability are an issue.

I recently picked up a Club Car Onward HP.  It’s the AC motor version. If you have not driven one, I suggest doing so.  It only tops out at 20mph but it gets there really quick and does not lose speed on hills.  I chose not get lithium batteries yet as it was a $2000 upgrade and the range is less than lead acid batteries.  Hopefully, the next time I need to replace the batteries, the cost will have come down on lithium and the range will have improved.

You can build an Onward at www.clubcar.com .  From what I found, these carts sell at MSRP.

D4B447AE-1CCF-4DA9-B013-1E445A9AEFA5.jpeg

Great info and thanks for posting. Nice looking ride!

9 hours ago, Twinsgroupie said:

Yes, I have an electric Drive2 and love it.  Living in AZ we use our cart a lot!  I looked hard at EZGO, Club Car, and Yamaha.  I would say 80% of the carts in our club are EZGO but since I bought my Yamaha about 6 months ago, 5 others have bought the same cart I have.  Before I had my cart I think there might of been one or two older ones in the entire place.  

I did like the lithium idea but stuck with the lead acid which gave the Yamaha the clear win in my books.  My plan is to possibly convert the cart to lithium when I need to replace the batteries since the cost should be down a lot by that time at the rate prices on lithium is dropping.  The reason you see so few Yamaha's is the dealer network is extremely small compared to their competitors.  

IMG_2574.JPG

Another sharp looking cart.  Appreciate this info. It seems like I have a couple of good choices!

it will be a sad day when I get rid of the old white club car.  Around our course it is affectionately called the “classic cart.”   Haha. 

Edited by J295