Daytona Beach Courses

rollingrockfan

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there in early Feb (Ormond Beach) right before speedweeks. Not alot of premeium golf courses there. My Dad and I ended up going out to LPGA Int'l a couple of times. Its right off I-95. The 2 courses there were pretty nice. The Champions (Rees Jones) course is pretty wide-open with mounding along the fairways. The Legends (Arthur Hills) is more tree-lined and a better test IMO. They also have a 3 hole practice course which is pretty cool. 20 bucks for 3 hours-you keep playing the holes over and over. Range is also super nice.

Don't know how it will be condition wise in September but it was nice in Feb.

P.S. We also played River Bend. A mistake - its located next to Daytona Airport and a lot of general aviation and helicopters coupled with horrible greens.

I enjoyed the public courses at Palm Coast.

http://www.palm-coast-flagler.com/golf.html

Never played Ocean Hammock, they said you had to stay at their hotel to get a tee time and the agent said many people book a room for the privelege without actually using the room.

September is great, the summer vacation crowd is gone, it's not as hot as summer but the ocean is still warm.

Only downside is Hurricane potential.

How long are you in town for? The LPGA courses are probably the best in the Daytona Beach area - I grew up in Ormond Beach and worked at LPGA many moons ago in my high school days. Halifax Plantation is a good track just south of town but other than that most of the courses are just average. Some of the Palm Coast courses are good - Ocean Hammock is amazing if you can get on (probably best course in the area - four holes are right on the ocean), but you'll have to fork up a decent amount of money to get on. Victoria Hills is a great course in Deland, which is about 20 minutes or so from Daytona Beach, probably 30ish from the coast if you're staying at the beach.

September is a great month to be in Daytona, the weather should be perfect.

Hope this helps...

Callaway AI Smoke Triple 🔹 9*
AI Smoke Max 3wood 15*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 56, 60
Jailbird

Lived there for 17 years prior to moving to Charlotte.

Depending on current condition (call and ask how they would rank the course condition and the green speed) I would recommend:

Golf Club at Cypress Head - Port Orange 20 minutes from Daytona South - Open driving a couple tight ones

Halifax Plantation - Ormond 20 minutes from Daytona North - Wooded and fairly open driving

LPGA both courses - Daytona - varies mostly open - Legends is a little tighter

Indigo Lakes - Daytona - Wooded and open driving

Sugar Mill - New Smyrna Beach 25 minutes South - Wooded and tight driving

Hammock Dunes - Palm Coast 40 minutes from Daytona North

All are good varied skill level courses, play the right set of tees as recommended by the pro for your handicap and you will enjoy any of them. I have played all of these many times but cannot speak for current conditions, they all used to be the best conditioned of all the area courses.

Stay away from Daytona Beach Municipal, Pelican Bay, Tomoka Oaks, River Bend (as another poster recommended) generally conditions are poor.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

Any updates on the courses listed here? I am going down to Daytona in July, and while the closest course to where my family will stay is DBGC, I would like to find something better. The DBGC courses could be good, but they just seem worn out in Summer conditions. The North course could be a real good track if it got some real TLC. I used to go to LPGA International, but I have not been there in several years.

Thanks for any updates you may have!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well,

I am here in Daytona and enjoying the beach.

I have played twice down here: Pelican Bay South, and a little par 3 pitch 'n' putt at the Oceans Condo complex in Daytona Beach Shores.

Pelican Bay South might be nice in the winter, but it is not real good in summer. Now I did get on for $15 for 18 w/cart, so I can't complain too much. However, the blue tees were not well taken care of and the greens were very sandy and inconsistent. One green had just been sanded, and was almost white. It is a little better than Daytona Beach GC, but not much. It is condo golf at it's worse. Also, don't expect to find any gear for sale in the pro shop.

The Oceans is a 13 hole pitch and putt. I played in the mid afternoon, about 2:30 P.M. so it was hot. $10 for 13 is not bad. Greens were very soft and slow. Holes ranged from 135-140 yards to two holes which were 45 yards at most. Most holes were in the 85-100 yard range. It was a good place to practice your short game. But, greens were too slow for any real work on your putting.But the tees were well taken care of, and the greens were lush and looked good.

Hello Again,

I just played 18 at Pelican Bay North. Had the course to myself at 7 AM, and for $20 to ride, it was a steal. If you can get on it for that amount, go for it. I have heard it was once a private course that had to go public or go away, and it was a nice track. There were not a lot of bells and whistles, like GPS in the carts, but so what?

I have only played two other times on a "private"/country club course, and only once or twice on upscale public courses, so I am not familiar with with a great course in these categories offer. I was impressed with this course, it is better than what I normally play.

I played the blue tees, about 6500 yards. Water is on every hole, but there is only one forced carry, the Par 3 16th. Water is supposedly on every hole, but for most of them, unless you hit a really bad shot, it is not in play. It looks more like a moat to keep balls, players, and residents in the houses away from each other. Lots of tree trouble, lots of dogleg holes, both left and right. Greens are very small, and are well bunkered. Nice practice facility, and the staff was cordial.

The clubhouse and restaurant betray the private club past; it would be a great place to eat after a round, but I got out of there too early and the site was not open. The snack bar at the turn was not open, but it was early in the morning.

In short, avoid DBCC and Pelican South like the plague. If you are in town or on the beach, play it. If you are on I-95, it's worth the stop.

The biggest gripe I had with the place is that it is condo/housing development golf; the course is totally surrounded by homes, except maybe for 18. How the place was going bust is beyond me, they had houses everywhere, except there was water between them and the course.

It is said a Senior Tour event was played there, but it is hard to see where they could put fans!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ANG' timestamp='1277256483' post='2527145']
The Deltona Club is best track in central florida according to Golf Magazine. I love the place. About 40 minutes but well worth the ride.
[/quote]

Deltona Club has gone to crap unfortunately, they really did a nice renovation, but can't keep it up, avoid it and play Victoria Hills or Venetian Bay instead

[quote name='MikeBurn' timestamp='1309520516' post='3355162']
[quote name='ANG' timestamp='1277256483' post='2527145']
The Deltona Club is best track in central florida according to Golf Magazine. I love the place. About 40 minutes but well worth the ride.
[/quote]

Deltona Club has gone to crap unfortunately, they really did a nice renovation, but can't keep it up, avoid it and play Victoria Hills or Venetian Bay instead
[/quote]

Thanks for the update. I hear great things about Deltona, but nothing recent on condition until now.

How is Duran?....Its in Melbourne

• 5 months later...

I am looking for information on Daytona Beach courses, courses to play or avoid. I will be in Daytona Beach January 10 - 17
and plan to spend 4-5 days golfing and 1-2 renting a Goldwing.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[color=#000080][size=2]Ping G400 9.5[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 5 Woods[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"[/size][/color]
[color=#000080][size=2]Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black[/size]
[size=2]Bat Caddy X4r[/size][/color]