2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Who is the best ball-striker on tour now?

TracyS

Everything BUT the driver (and that IS getting better)......Tiger Woods........he has all of the shots and is NOT afraid to use them........WHEN he gets the driver down then he'll be so far ahead of the pack that he might well win every single time he tees it up........statistically, probably Joe Durant......however, Joe CANNOT hit the variety of shots that Tiger can and does nor can he attack the nearly as many pins as Tiger can, and does...........so, IMOP, it's not even close......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Lonard.

Doesn't have a great variety of shots, but doesn't need them because he hits it straight and solid every time. The sound at impact is incredible - great compressor of the ball. No need to take an iron off the tee for accuracy - Pete is as straight with his driver as he is with his irons.

Unfortunately, like some other exceptional ballstrikers, cannot putt very well at all. I think his ballstriking is the equal of anyone playing today - putting and short game let him down.

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

Everything BUT the driver (and that IS getting better)......Tiger Woods........he has all of the shots and is NOT afraid to use them........WHEN he gets the driver down then he'll be so far ahead of the pack that he might well win every single time he tees it up........statistically, probably Joe Durant......however, Joe CANNOT hit the variety of shots that Tiger can and does nor can he attack the nearly as many pins as Tiger can, and does...........so, IMOP, it's not even close......

what kind of shots are you referring to?

i think joe can hit a draw or fade on demand pretty well.

The thing with the PGA Tour stat is that they combine driving accuracy....if you go by GIR then Tiger is by far the best. Look at all the shots Tiger can hit and the quality of his strikes....By far the best. Everyone on Tour even says that the sound the ball makes when he makes contact is far better than anyone else. And if you have ever watched him on the range, you can tell. The sound is just incredible...extremely crisp and just plain old pure. I will say that Jim Furyk is very underrated as well and a fairly close 2nd imo.

0 .

I am confused here what is ballstriking if not driving and irons .

Maybe the person that asked the question Who is the best ball striker on tour? Needs to define it to me because its my understanding that the ball striking stat is a combination of driving accuracy and GIR's.

Which in a nutshell describes JD sure he is boring and he does not win much but he still owns that stat.

Like I said, I'm not in the place to set any kind of criteria. What guidlines did people use to determine Hogan was the best? Some feel it's the sound or crispness of the stike and the way the ball rocketed off the clubface, others feel it's accuracy and control and shotmaking. I left it open because it's a such a subjective topic and not something that can be quantified. Everyone can make their own case and back it up with whatever they feel is pertinent.

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

The thing with the PGA Tour stat is that they combine driving accuracy....if you go by GIR then Tiger is by far the best. Look at all the shots Tiger can hit and the quality of his strikes....By far the best. Everyone on Tour even says that the sound the ball makes when he makes contact is far better than anyone else. And if you have ever watched him on the range, you can tell. The sound is just incredible...extremely crisp and just plain old pure. I will say that Jim Furyk is very underrated as well and a fairly close 2nd imo.

0 .

Maybe the person that asked the question Who is the best ball striker on tour? Needs to define it to me because its my understanding that the ball striking stat is a combination of driving accuracy and GIR's.

Which in a nutshell describes JD sure he is boring and he does not win much but he still owns that stat.

Like I said, I'm not in the place to set any kind of criteria. What guidlines did people use to determine Hogan was the best? Some feel it's the sound or crispness of the stike and the way the ball rocketed off the clubface, others feel it's accuracy and control and shotmaking. I left it open because it's a such a subjective topic and not something that can be quantified. Everyone can make their own case and back it up with whatever they feel is pertinent.

A lot of Hogan was pure talent and some of it was like a fishing story. I mean old timers tell storys about him hitting it out of his own divots four days in a row.

I personally do not know if he was the best of his time with guys like Nelson Snead Bolt and others possibley

but I wonder how he would rate today?

The PGA stats regognizes fairways hit and GIR they have other stats to cover best iron player (GIR) Fairways hit and Total driving along with a trillion others.

0 .

A lot of Hogan was pure talent and some of it was like a fishing story. I mean old timers tell storys about him hitting it out of his own divots four days in a row.

I personally do not know if he was the best of his time with guys like Nelson Snead Bolt and others possibley

The PGA stats regognizes fairways hit and GIR they have other stats to cover best iron player (GIR) Fairways hit and Total driving along with a trillion others.

I've read many times that Nicklaus would stop to watch Hogan practice, and Hogan never watched Nicklaus. Don't know if that's true, but another good ol' dawg story!

:partytime2: ;) :D

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Boo Weekley and Joe Durant......

$LEFTY$  

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65S - Taylormade Stealth 2 3W HL w/ Fugi Ventus TR 6-S - Callaway Big Bertha Max 4H w/ Recoil 75 - Srixon Zx5 5i-PW w/ Recoil 95 - Titleist SM8 48 & 52 w/ Recoil 110 - Callaway JAWS 56 w/ Recoil 110 - Ping Tour-W 60 w/ Recoil 110 - Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 34 - Taylormade TP5X - PING Hoofer

In 'Putting Out of Your Mind,' Rotella talks about Wild Bill Melhorne. Hogan said he felt Bill was the best ball-striker he'd seen from tee to green. Unfortunately, Bill couldn't putt. He'd hit a green in 2 and play his 4th from a bunker. :partytime2:

Sorry, a little off-topic. Back to the subject at hand. Who do you think is currently the best ball-striker and WHY?

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

in terms of ballstriking you can't look purely at the us tour stats there are plenty of players on other tours who swing the club as good as joe durant or better At highest level of pressure i.e major champ events this is where the best come to the top in most cases Tiger Jimbo garcia etc are there

Most of the top European players play enough on the PGA tour to be all over the stats Sergio was number one in Ball striking on one of those stats I listed.

Also like Europe only calls it the Open and we call it the British Open

Over here when we refer to the Tour we are referring to the US tour when we refer to Europes we call it the European tour. So that is what I thought the person asking the question meant.

Now if you ask the question who is the best Pro golfer when it comes to ball striking in the world and we were given the above mentioned GIR's and Fairways hit combo as our guidelines I would stll say Joe Durant

Now thats no slight on European players from what I saw of the list at a quick glance Sergio is probably second the last several years all told.

:partytime2:

tiger plays very few tournaments, and most of them are very difficult courses. His stats are obviously going to be lower if the greens he's trying to hit in regulation are at oakmont, augusta, etc.

here are the last few years.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?158 2007 Durant 14

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?158 2006 Durant 10

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?158 2005 Durant 2

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?158 2004 Durant 1

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?158 2003 Durant 3

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?158 2002 Durant 18

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?158 2001 Durant 2

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?158 2004 Durant 4

Joe was sixth in 99 13th 98 6th in 97

Thats as far back as I can find his name not sure when he came on tour.

Now this in my opinion is pretty undisputable for the last decade day in and day out the best ball striker on the PGA tour is Joe Durant

By no means does this make him the best player thats Tiger Woods

I just do not understand how you can look at these stats (ball striking ) and deny this?

lol this is circular

I think it is very hard to define what/who you think is the best ball-striker to someone else's opinion as it is just that. I don't read too deeply into stats, as they aren't always clear representations, just facts on paper, and if they aren't put altogether then it gets out of context - where did they play for the majority of these stats for instance.

GARCIA! DARREN CLARKE! two of the best ive seen. Lee westwood is also very good. Poulter must be one of the worst on tour

You must be European... LOL. Yeah, Westwood can hit the ball. But I still gotta say the best Euro guy is Jesper. JMO

Too all you Boo guys out there, I never seen him play in the flesh but I hear he is awesome. As for Couples, he definately hits the ball SOLID. I remember the first time I saw him hit a ball, he was playing with Watson and Payne; he out drove them both by 30 yards consistently straight, and hit the ball probably twice as high as both of them. I was amazed.