South Jersey / Philly Junior Memberships

EDH_614

I recently re-located from Chicago to Collingswood, NJ and am hoping to find a club to join. I'm 30 y/o and play to a 7-handicap.  I've seen other posts that recommend Rolling Green and 1912 Club, but both are 25+ miles from where I'm living.

Based on the research I've done on course(s), amentities and proximity, it seems like Philly Cricket and Trump Philly are the two best options - even though Philly Cricket is only offering "intermediate" memberships at this time (does not give full playing privelages). If there are any here who are well-versed in the nearby clubs that are taking new members I'd love to get your thoughts.

Cost considerations are appreciated as well, but I should mention that I've already accepted the fact most clubs are asking 50%-100% more in upfront entrance fees and dues than they were 3-5 years ago.

On 7/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, crazex said:

Philly Cricket Club will be a haul from Collingswood, so you may want to consider options that are closer unless you're working in/near MontCo. May want to look at Tavistock, The Legacy Club (formerly Woodcrest), Little Mill, Trump Philly, Laurel Creek, or maybe even Medford Village.

It's funny because a few folks have mentioned that, but I checked Google Maps at multiple times of day and it never seems to be more than 35 mins. Trump (the other top contender at this time bc most others have a waitlist) is only about 5-10 mins less. I suppose that time does add up over the course of a golf season...

I’m in Marlton and have looked into most of the clubs you mentioned. The biggest problem is that everyone seems to have a wait list.  Cricket club is up to a 10 year waitlist, after having been 4 last year. You’re looking at $100k by the time you get in. You don’t get playing privileges while waiting and you have that for the few rounds you’re allowed to play each year. 

Manufacturers’ is close to Cricket but they are now member referral only. I’ve called Rolling Green multiple times and even spoke to a couple of members and I can’t get any information from the club. 

Trump was without question, the best combination of quality, price, and access. The only reason I’m not a member already is because we aren’t staying here long term. I plan to move to the Malvern, PA area so I’ve been looking into clubs closer to there.  I’m 39 and Trump was only like $3500 entrance fee for me last year. I know it’s up to $7500 for me now but you’re going to be cheaper than that. 

On 7/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, crazex said:

Philly Cricket Club will be a haul from Collingswood, so you may want to consider options that are closer unless you're working in/near MontCo. May want to look at Tavistock, The Legacy Club (formerly Woodcrest), Little Mill, Trump Philly, Laurel Creek, or maybe even Medford Village.

Every one of these clubs has a waitlist except Trump. 

Riverton should be on the list for anyone in the Collingswood area to look into, wait list may be an issue there also depending on membership class, for example full golf may have openings, but younger categories full.

I now live in South Jersey, very close to Betsy Ross & Tacony bridges to PA, and am original from Montco.  I make the drive to Cricket area often for both golf & personal.  I would be sure to test out that drive before joining anywhere in Montco.  676/76 through the city gives off a "this isn't all that far" vibe, but rarely is that drive traffic-free.  Any other alternate route is pretty much totally back roads - my drive to Cricket 2 days ago from living close to the Betsy Ross bridge was 45 mins.    

10 hours ago, C-Law said:

Riverton should be on the list for anyone in the Collingswood area to look into, wait list may be an issue there also depending on membership class, for example full golf may have openings, but younger categories full.

I now live in South Jersey, very close to Betsy Ross & Tacony bridges to PA, and am original from Montco.  I make the drive to Cricket area often for both golf & personal.  I would be sure to test out that drive before joining anywhere in Montco.  676/76 through the city gives off a "this isn't all that far" vibe, but rarely is that drive traffic-free.  Any other alternate route is pretty much totally back roads - my drive to Cricket 2 days ago from living close to the Betsy Ross bridge was 45 mins.    

Depends what type of golf course he’s looking for. Some love Riverton some hate it. 

12 hours ago, C-Law said:

Yeah, that's fair. I'm definitely going to do a test run one of these days and see what the drive is really like. I plan on checking out Riverton, but if it's only limited access I'd probably go with something else. It's a bad time to be looking for a golf club to join, I think we can all agree on that! 

I used to live in Mount Laurel and I can tell you that the trip to PCC is never going to be short (Google maps lies) as 676 & 76 are a nightmare. If you're joining with the intention of playing multiple times per week, or even multiple times per month, that commute will get old really quick. Trump Philly is nice, but definitely not my favorite in the area.

On 7/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, crazex said:

I used to live in Mount Laurel and I can tell you that the trip to PCC is never going to be short (Google maps lies) as 676 & 76 are a nightmare. If you're joining with the intention of playing multiple times per week, or even multiple times per month, that commute will get old really quick. Trump Philly is nice, but definitely not my favorite in the area.

Any in the area worth mentioning that you would join before Trump?

On 7/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, crazex said:

What do you like better in the area than trump? 

On 7/14/2022 at 10:55 AM, EDH_614 said:

I recently re-located from Chicago to Collingswood, NJ and am hoping to find a club to join. I'm 30 y/o and play to a 7-handicap.  I've seen other posts that recommend Rolling Green and 1912 Club, but both are 25+ miles from where I'm living.

Based on the research I've done on course(s), amentities and proximity, it seems like Philly Cricket and Trump Philly are the two best options - even though Philly Cricket is only offering "intermediate" memberships at this time (does not give full playing privelages). If there are any here who are well-versed in the nearby clubs that are taking new members I'd love to get your thoughts.

Cost considerations are appreciated as well, but I should mention that I've already accepted the fact most clubs are asking 50%-100% more in upfront entrance fees and dues than they were 3-5 years ago.

How the eff would you get into Philly Cricket?

No Waitlist at Legacy/Woodcrest. 

On 7/20/2022 at 10:31 PM, EDH_614 said:

It's funny because a few folks have mentioned that, but I checked Google Maps at multiple times of day and it never seems to be more than 35 mins. Trump (the other top contender at this time bc most others have a waitlist) is only about 5-10 mins less. I suppose that time does add up over the course of a golf season...

Cricket is a major pain to get to at any time other than totally off peak hours. Wouldn't even consider that. Rolling Green is amazing but too far for everyday. If considering PA, I would say Union League Torresdale is your easiest option for travel, but you would need to join UL and add golf. It's a process.

Best bets are mentioned above:

Tavistock

Legacy Club @ Woodcrest

Little Mill

Riverton just completed a huge Ross restore and is getting some (albeit whispering) hype

Trump Phila (carts only keep in mind)

Laurel Creek

Merchantville (9 holes but private) - may consider if you are price sensative

Edited by jibbs1082

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

18 hours ago, woofelfin said:

How the eff would you get into Philly Cricket?

No Waitlist at Legacy/Woodcrest. 

I've hears Legacy's tee sheet is beyond packed. Granted, who's isn't post-covid.

• Like 1

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

3 minutes ago, woofelfin said:

That was last year they increased the price by 40% and there are no issues whatsoever this year. They also don't do tee times weekend mornings you can just show up and get out. 

Great to hear that.... How is the course, any improvements? I have seen the range and it looks great - not sure if they were able to add any yardage (dont think so?) - limited flight balls still, right?

Love that! Such a fan of no tee times....

5 minutes ago, jibbs1082 said:
6 minutes ago, jibbs1082 said:

Great to hear that.... How is the course, any improvements? I have seen the range and it looks great - not sure if they were able to add any yardage (dont think so?) - limited flight balls still, right?

Love that! Such a fan of no tee times....

Hole 10 and 14 they took down all the trees on the left hand side and put in bunkers- looks really nice. Yes they put in a grass range( still using range balls but you can hit driver). The course is in great shape.  

• 3 weeks later...

Current member at legacy at WC. Range has been pushed back 50-60 yards with a hybrid Bermuda. Not limited flight. Many improvements. Hole 10, 14 and now 6 are getting huge makeovers with fairway bunkers added and trees being taken out. Cart paths redone. Many other things in the pipeline. I live a half mile from riverton and joined Woodcrest for several reasons. Bang for your buck. No food and bev min. Course is a notch above. Riverton can be blah after a season or two plus all the assessments and minimums. You can literally walk out in the afternoon at Woodcrest whenever you want and feel like you own the place. 

• Like 1