2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

PureDivots WITB with lots of pictures

Nice bag! I've been contemplating getting a Rogue St Max LS head as well, currently gaming the Epic Speed. I don't have any complaints really other than the sound and feel I don't prefer so that doesnt seem like the best reason haha.

Also been eyeing the Tri Hot line. I game a Newport 2. On the days I'm on it is great, but it is definitely punishing on days where I lose some putting focus. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* Kai'li White 70X

Cobra King LTDx LS 17.5* 5 Wood Motore F1 X-Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18* Hybrid HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Callaway X Forged CB 5-9 KBS $-Taper Stiff 120g

Jaws Raw 46* S, Vokey 50* F, Vokey 56* D

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball Stroke Lab

Titleist Prov1x

Just now, JourneyToBreak80 said:

Nice bag! I've been contemplating getting a Rogue St Max LS head as well, currently gaming the Epic Speed. I don't have any complaints really other than the sound and feel I don't prefer so that doesnt seem like the best reason haha.

Also been eyeing the Tri Hot line. I game a Newport 2. On the days I'm on it is great, but it is definitely punishing on days where I lose some putting focus. 

The rouge was a good driver without a doubt just didnt work for me. 

I can't say enough good things about the Tri Hot 5k. Its incredible and has been a total game changer

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PureDivots said:

The rouge was a good driver without a doubt just didnt work for me. 

I can't say enough good things about the Tri Hot 5k. Its incredible and has been a total game changer

I'm curious as your scores got lower would you attribute alot of that to short game/putting confidence?

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Titleist Prov1x

1 hour ago, JourneyToBreak80 said:

I'm curious as your scores got lower would you attribute alot of that to short game/putting confidence?

I can give you a short break down of what my game is like historically and where it improved. Here's a wall of words. 

Overall - Grinder don't make a lot of birdies, but don't make a lot of big numbers. Not out of the ordinary to have 0 birdies, 14 pars and 4 bogeys. 

Driving - Short hitter but I have a FIR floor of around 60% and if I miss its only by a tiny bit. Penalty strokes are few and fair between off the tee. 

Iron play- weakest part of my game by far plain and simple. I could hit every fairway in a round and only hit 3 greens. 

Short game/Wedges 100yard or less - Decent nothing to write home about I get up and down about as much as my handicap would suggest. I can hit distances from 100 yards in pretty well. 

Putting- Historically have been a good putter, Three putts have never been a problem, hit a bit of a rough patch though in say 2020-2021. I had a bit of a mental block with starting the ball on line especially on 4-8ft putts ones that should be easy clean up. 

What changed? Three major things, first I changed irons as I mentioned in my first post. What this did for me was boost confidence that I don't have to hit it perfect and gave me more distance so I could hit shorter clubs into greens. This vastly improved my GIR. I am not hitting the ball any closer than I did before, but Im giving myself more scoring opportunities.

Second thing, changing to the Tri-Hot 5k felt like trying on the perfect size glove, instant success. Speed control, starting on line, and confidence we're improved. This allowed me to take advantage of the increase in GIR and make more birdies.

Final thing, course management. Identified my strengths and weaknesses and put together a bit of a mindset of how I want to score and attack the course. Its nothing revolutionary. I am aiming to shoot even par.

Since I am above average at driving accuracy and weak at irons lets keep the ball in play off the tee and just hit the green in regulation.  No need to attack the pin just have a decent birdie look Im bound to make one or two from 20ft.  If not easy par. The target for par 4s is even any birdies are a nice bonus. 

Par 5s is where I planned to do my scoring. If there is four Par 5s I want to be -2 on them for the round. Simple enough, I'm a short hitter so I decided to stop pushing and trying to reach in two when its easy to just lay up, knock one close and make a 7ft putt. My go window for trying in two is hitting soft 3 wood with no trouble or a hybrid.

So right now if I par every par 4 and I'm -2 on par 5s I'm sitting pretty at -2 overall and that gives me a two shot cushion to on my nemesis par 3s. I don't know what it is, but hitting a 7 iron off the tee vs the middle of the fairway is so much harder. For the par 3s I am ok with playing them a +2 and anything better is a bonus. 

I have found thinking this way has taken the stress off myself to feel like I need to be making birdies everywhere. I'm perfectly happy to make par on a par 4 and move on or even par on a par 5 because Im likely still able to hit my target. What this has done is allow me to lower the ceiling on my bad rounds since I'm not pressing myself into making mistakes. 

Edited by PureDivots
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, PureDivots said:

I can give you a short break down of what my game is like historically and where it improved. Here's a wall of words. 

Overall - Grinder don't make a lot of birdies, but don't make a lot of big numbers. Not out of the ordinary to have 0 birdies, 14 pars and 4 bogeys. 

Driving - Short hitter but I have a FIR floor of around 60% and if I miss its only by a tiny bit. Penalty strokes are few and fair between off the tee. 

Iron play- weakest part of my game by far plain and simple. I could hit every fairway in a round and only hit 3 greens. 

Short game/Wedges 100yard or less - Decent nothing to write home about I get up and down about as much as my handicap would suggest. I can hit distances from 100 yards in pretty well. 

Putting- Historically have been a good putter, Three putts have never been a problem, hit a bit of a rough patch though in say 2020-2021. I had a bit of a mental block with starting the ball on line especially on 4-8ft putts ones that should be easy clean up. 

What changed? Three major things, first I changed irons as I mentioned in my first post. What this did for me was boost confidence that I don't have to hit it perfect and gave me more distance so I could hit shorter clubs into greens. This vastly improved my GIR. I am not hitting the ball any closer than I did before, but Im giving myself more scoring opportunities.

Second thing, changing to the Tri-Hot 5k felt like trying on the perfect size glove, instant success. Speed control, starting on line, and confidence we're improved. This allowed me to take advantage of the increase in GIR and make more birdies.

Final thing, course management. Identified my strengths and weaknesses and put together a bit of a mindset of how I want to score and attack the course. Its nothing revolutionary. I am aiming to shoot even par.

Since I am above average at driving accuracy and weak at irons lets keep the ball in play off the tee and just hit the green in regulation.  No need to attack the pin just have a decent birdie look Im bound to make one or two from 20ft.  If not easy par. The target for par 4s is even any birdies are a nice bonus. 

Par 5s is where I planned to do my scoring. If there is four Par 5s I want to be -2 on them for the round. Simple enough, I'm a short hitter so I decided to stop pushing and trying to reach in two when its easy to just lay up, knock one close and make a 7ft putt. My go window for trying in two is hitting soft 3 wood with no trouble or a hybrid.

So right now if I par every par 4 and I'm -2 on par 5s I'm sitting pretty at -2 overall and that gives me a two shot cushion to on my nemesis par 3s. I don't know what it is, but hitting a 7 iron off the tee vs the middle of the fairway is so much harder. For the par 3s I am ok with playing them a +2 and anything better is a bonus. 

I have found thinking this way has taken the stress off myself to feel like I need to be making birdies everywhere. I'm perfectly happy to make par on a par 4 and move on or even par on a par 5 because Im likely still able to hit my target. What this has done is allow me to lower the ceiling on my bad rounds since I'm not pressing myself into making mistakes. 

Thanks this is superb information. Right at the tail end of the season last year I was shooting about 6 over par. So I'm super close to my goal of finally breaking 80 haha. My big focus the start of this season is dialing in my short game, just keeping the driver in play, and getting better at course management. 

• Like 1

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Titleist Prov1x

19 hours ago, PureDivots said:

Sounds pretty similar to me. Solid at driving chipping putting but my GIR is awful for my handicap. Keep trying new irons and it doesn’t get any better for some reason………

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JourneyToBreak80 said:

Thanks this is superb information. Right at the tail end of the season last year I was shooting about 6 over par. So I'm super close to my goal of finally breaking 80 haha. My big focus the start of this season is dialing in my short game, just keeping the driver in play, and getting better at course management. 

No problem Three things that I always tell people when they ask what they need to do to break 90 or 80 or for help. I'm no swing coach, hell I barely know my own swing.

1. Get a rangefinder (Likely not a problem on WRX)

2. Stop taking penalty strokes off tee 

3. You're not as good as you think you are stop trying to attack every flag. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BostonWRX said:

Sounds pretty similar to me. Solid at driving chipping putting but my GIR is awful for my handicap. Keep trying new irons and it doesn’t get any better for some reason………

I've given up on trying to have a cool players bag at the cost of performance. Having confidence in my irons has just leaked into every part of my game. Go buy yourself some shovels and get to work hitting the center of the green and making them putts. Might as well take advantage of all the help technology can give you. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PureDivots said:

No problem Three things that I always tell people when they ask what they need to do to break 90 or 80 or for help. I'm no swing coach, hell I barely know my own swing.

1. Get a rangefinder (Likely not a problem on WRX)

2. Stop taking penalty strokes off tee 

3. You're not as good as you think you are stop trying to attack every flag. 

That was definitely one of my biggest weaknesses was making way too many attempts at hero shots. I've swallowed my ego and said I'd rather lay up and have a good shot at an up and down versus a crazy shot that could add penalty strokes. I totally agree with you on irons and such too. Most of my bag has turned into what is forgiving, and gives me confidence standing over it, screw everything else haha. 

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Titleist Prov1x

14 minutes ago, JourneyToBreak80 said:

That was definitely one of my biggest weaknesses was making way too many attempts at hero shots. I've swallowed my ego and said I'd rather lay up and have a good shot at an up and down versus a crazy shot that could add penalty strokes. I totally agree with you on irons and such too. Most of my bag has turned into what is forgiving, and gives me confidence standing over it, screw everything else haha. 

Cool guys hit 18 GIR and two putt for par and shoot even. 

34 minutes ago, PureDivots said:

I've given up on trying to have a cool players bag at the cost of performance. Having confidence in my irons has just leaked into every part of my game. Go buy yourself some shovels and get to work hitting the center of the green and making them putts. Might as well take advantage of all the help technology can give you. 

I actually got fit into those 921 forged last year along side zx5s. Ended up going with the zx5s. May have to give the forged a chance in the wild 

Just now, BostonWRX said:

I actually got fit into those 921 forged last year along side zx5s. Ended up going with the zx5s. May have to give the forged a chance in the wild 

Granted they are from a while back but I found the z545 to produce flyers or just really hot ones. I have yet to experience even a single shot like that with the JPX Forged. They just got a little pop that keeps the distance up on the mishits I cant recommend them enough.

• Like 1