How can I improve my swing and takeaway/backswing ???

dabs

I can definitely see here that my backswing has issues. After the club is parallel to the body, the back swing then becomes too inside*.

I have been trying for months fixing my upright backswing where at the top of the backswing, the club would point over my head. And maybe this is me trying to overcompensate for that issue.

Any tips? Also, are my hips turning enough?? Both during the backswing and down swing??

Edited by dabs
changed outside to inside*

You are an easy fix

At the beginning of your takeaway , you move your hands away from your body. Thus sets up a roll inside resulting in the shaft pointing to the right of your target at first parallel . This results in a chain reaction of problems during the rest of your backswing and downswing .

The FIX

Start your hands straight back until they move outside of your right leg . NO ROLL of your FOREARMS until your hands pass the outside of your right leg
To make it easier use the line on the mats that almost touching your toes as a visual guide . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfarb1 said:

You are an easy fix

At the beginning of your takeaway , you move your hands away from your body. Thus sets up a roll inside resulting in the shaft pointing to the right of your target at first parallel . This results in a chain reaction of problems during the rest of your backswing and downswing .

The FIX

Start your hands straight back until they move outside of your right leg . NO ROLL of your FOREARMS until your hands pass the outside of your right leg
To make it easier use the line on the mats that almost touching your toes as a visual guide . 

Thank you for the tip. I think having a proper takeaway and backswing will definitely solve a lot of my issues.

I have an old club at work so I will be practising now haha

In addition to what @golfarb1 noted about your immediate hand lift and excessive forearm rotation in the takeaway, your body motion is combining with that to make you very susceptible to a two-way miss. In short, your pivot is causing your path to be inconsistent, and your takeaway is causing your face angle to be inconsistent. 

To answer your question, I think you do rotate the hips enough in terms of degrees, but rotating the hips is actually not the correct feeling since to me you're interpreting that as rotating your left hip around your right leg--resulting in your right hip gaining no depth on the backswing. That motion sets up a downswing move where the only direction your hips can fire is closer to the ball, so your body is now taking up the space your hands need to come in on the correct path. So, you either get arms stuck behind the body and you block it right, or you throw the club over the top steep while flipping the forearms, resulting in a pull hook. Instead of rotating like that and swaying off the ball, you should feel like you are pushing your right hip as far back as you can during the backswing, maintaining your depth, and then rotating to push the left hip as far back as it can go on the downswing. You can do that in conjunction with the takeaway drill to get yourself in a consistently good position at the top, and from there it's much harder to make a big mistake. 

• Like 2

Your camera moves to the right during the video so it looks as if you’re maintaining that like but you’re not. You can see the line has moved slightly compared to the mat. It may not seem like much but you can create a LOT more room. You can also see how your weight is on your toes and your arm is kind of cramped in there 

It looks like you get under plane fairly well to hit a draw but you achieve this by having a steep shaft angle and dropping it under late. That club should be pointing more at your belt buckle at impact hence why you get a very high steep follow through. BUT you don’t create enough space to do this yet so I’d just do some slow reps and video work trying to get your hips as deep as possible past your butt like and feel your weight transfer into your lead heel

I feel like this will fix a lot of the problems, you seem to have a good motion but it’s going to take some repetition and video to really get that hip turn drilled in 

783F238C-D148-40C3-BE94-4D15E2D7E9FD.png

• Like 1

Also, doesn’t look horrible but your could get more weight onto your trail heel in your backswing. You’ll accomplish that if you get more hip depth past the butt line in the backswing

and then once you get the space thing figured out you could get your elbow pointing in more ready to swing through. BUT learning to create more space is definitely the priority

8405B564-E2C0-430D-BAFD-30DFB7620353.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabino said:

Your camera moves to the right during the video so it looks as if you’re maintaining that like but you’re not. You can see the line has moved slightly compared to the mat. It may not seem like much but you can create a LOT more room. You can also see how your weight is on your toes and your arm is kind of cramped in there 

It looks like you get under plane fairly well to hit a draw but you achieve this by having a steep shaft angle and dropping it under late. That club should be pointing more at your belt buckle at impact hence why you get a very high steep follow through. BUT you don’t create enough space to do this yet so I’d just do some slow reps and video work trying to get your hips as deep as possible past your butt like and feel your weight transfer into your lead heel

I feel like this will fix a lot of the problems, you seem to have a good motion but it’s going to take some repetition and video to really get that hip turn drilled in 

783F238C-D148-40C3-BE94-4D15E2D7E9FD.png

Thank you for the feedback.  I can clearly see that I have my weight on my toes. I will try and practise creating room for my arms during the downswing. Will clearling the hips create the room? I don't understand cleaning the left hips but I think that may be the answer. Thank you! 

Edited by dabs

@dabs don’t overcomplicate it, it’s literally just pushing your hips back as deep as possible past the line. Just get an analysis app and try to accomplish this.. (make sure your camera doesn’t move lol)

Now one other thing is don’t get discouraged if your contact suffers for a little bit, it’s going to change your spine angles a bit, but you’ll make the necessary adjustments naturally and it’ll be worth it in the end 👍

CA1CCF54-70EE-4567-B379-5F64F462188C.png

964B8369-DF4A-412C-B032-59CB5441C0C5.png

9D392C44-51B8-4E40-869D-05A4AE65B71B.png

EC5CA5A8-80D1-475C-A3A2-B53E30516431.png

18 hours ago, golfarb1 said:

You are an easy fix

The FIX

17 hours ago, dabs said:

Thank you for the tip. I think having a proper takeaway and backswing will definitely solve a lot of my issues.

I have an old club at work so I will be practising now haha

15 hours ago, ac6 said:

In addition to what @golfarb1 noted about your immediate hand lift and excessive forearm rotation in the takeaway, your body motion is combining with that to make you very susceptible to a two-way miss. In short, your pivot is causing your path to be inconsistent, and your takeaway is causing your face angle to be inconsistent. 

To answer your question, I think you do rotate the hips enough in terms of degrees, but rotating the hips is actually not the correct feeling since to me you're interpreting that as rotating your left hip around your right leg--resulting in your right hip gaining no depth on the backswing. That motion sets up a downswing move where the only direction your hips can fire is closer to the ball, so your body is now taking up the space your hands need to come in on the correct path. So, you either get arms stuck behind the body and you block it right, or you throw the club over the top steep while flipping the forearms, resulting in a pull hook. Instead of rotating like that and swaying off the ball, you should feel like you are pushing your right hip as far back as you can during the backswing, maintaining your depth, and then rotating to push the left hip as far back as it can go on the downswing. You can do that in conjunction with the takeaway drill to get yourself in a consistently good position at the top, and from there it's much harder to make a big mistake. 

I wanted to expand on what these guys are saying here, specifically with what golfarb said regarding takeaway and your comment about having a "proper" one:

dabsWristSet.gif.b4fd6663b4fda12accb0dbaa93b5f42d.gif

In your takeaway you basically have no proper right wrist setting going on which is being replaced with forearm roll which causes the club to get flat and behind you. I'd imagine this is either a conscious effort to "reduce variables" or is just simply a lack of knowing what you should be doing here.

dabsWristSet2.gif.7d1ce4a97dd35e5b176a4a96812b8769.gif

Some of the club plane and timing issues end up coming from the fact you DO set them all the way up here, which steepens your club path. You want this steepening happening in takeaway, not in transition. That wrist setting is called radial deviation, basically c0cking your wrist "up", and it's something that should be introduced much earlier in the backswing as it gets the club working up and in front of you as opposed to flat and behind you:

dabsWristset3.gif.2f2043ad89e7ad10c6f5f6d25c52a98b.gifAdamTakeaway4.gif.120bf3f642768bfe707a1c72f89c6c3b.gif

Notice the angle of the right wrist and how it influences the drastic difference in club planes here. Properly introducing this "hinge up" feeling as part of your takeaway will solve most of this combined with what golfarb said about starting your hands straight back, which will remove the "chain reaction" issue of your wrists setting really late as all that needs to happen from Adam's position above is a simple rotation to the top (see below).

We can also see what @ac6 referred to here in that your right hip is basically stationary while your left hip swings out.

AdamTop5.gif.ff3a629652add11c6a2271df93df8e0b.gif

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

10 hours ago, Gabino said:

@dabs don’t overcomplicate it, it’s literally just pushing your hips back as deep as possible past the line. Just get an analysis app and try to accomplish this.. (make sure your camera doesn’t move lol)

Now one other thing is don’t get discouraged if your contact suffers for a little bit, it’s going to change your spine angles a bit, but you’ll make the necessary adjustments naturally and it’ll be worth it in the end 👍

CA1CCF54-70EE-4567-B379-5F64F462188C.png

964B8369-DF4A-412C-B032-59CB5441C0C5.png

9D392C44-51B8-4E40-869D-05A4AE65B71B.png

EC5CA5A8-80D1-475C-A3A2-B53E30516431.png

7 hours ago, Valtiel said:

I wanted to expand on what these guys are saying here, specifically with what golfarb said regarding takeaway and your comment about having a "proper" one:

In your takeaway you basically have no proper right wrist setting going on which is being replaced with forearm roll which causes the club to get flat and behind you. I'd imagine this is either a conscious effort to "reduce variables" or is just simply a lack of knowing what you should be doing here.

Some of the club plane and timing issues end up coming from the fact you DO set them all the way up here, which steepens your club path. You want this steepening happening in takeaway, not in transition. That wrist setting is called radial deviation, basically c0cking your wrist "up", and it's something that should be introduced much earlier in the backswing as it gets the club working up and in front of you as opposed to flat and behind you:

dabsWristset3.gif.2f2043ad89e7ad10c6f5f6d25c52a98b.gifAdamTakeaway4.gif.120bf3f642768bfe707a1c72f89c6c3b.gif

Notice the angle of the right wrist and how it influences the drastic difference in club planes here. Properly introducing this "hinge up" feeling as part of your takeaway will solve most of this combined with what golfarb said about starting your hands straight back, which will remove the "chain reaction" issue of your wrists setting really late as all that needs to happen from Adam's position above is a simple rotation to the top (see below).

We can also see what @ac6 referred to here in that your right hip is basically stationary while your left hip swings out.

Thank you everyone. I will practise the wrist hinge/takeaway and also my hip movements today at work. 

Will be going to the range later tonight so hopefully I hit better shots!

• 7 months later...
On 11/17/2022 at 1:22 AM, Valtiel said:

Hey Valtiel

It's been a long time. I stopped playing golf for almost 7 months and recently got back into it last 3 weeks.

I have been working really hard on my takeaway and can see some improvements but still need some work.

Also need some work with my right hip having little depth during the back swing as well.

Here's a recording I took today at the golf range!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YCNq0uBkyQs

Edited by dabs