2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf Tec

SadTrombone

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been working with a guy at GolfTec for about 3 months now with great success. Now they do have a "Structure" they make their instructors follow that I don't totally believe in. But when it comes to some basics seeing is believing. I am at a crossroad now as I have been reading Slice's complilation and studing the 9-3 drill and anything Slice says and it is not correlating as to what Golftec is teaching me ( or trying to teach me). I am TOTALLY convinced that Slice knows what he is talking about and am leaning more towards trying to get down to Slice or at least send him a video in anaylize. But you do get what you put into it. I would take a lesson and go hit balls to only shank them all. But after a lot of hard work it has paid off. Bottom line it you get what you put into it and it depends on what your expectations are.

Golf-tec (and Motion Golf) is great stuff. For the less accomplished we can clearly see what the problems are. To me this is a major deal.....then you can fix yourself through fitness and or physical therapy and more lessons/practice.

I do prefer Motion Golf in that they aren't trying to make you into a composite of pros like Golf-tec.

Went through the Golftec thing a few years ago. The original instructor I had was good, but moved away. The second was OK.

While what they teach is fundamentally sound, I got the impression they were much more interested in signing me up for neverending lesson extensions and practice memberships than fixing my game.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I enjoy working on my swing on my own.

I prefer the 4view Swing Practis video set up at the range. Not sure if they have one set up near any of you, but they have them here in the SF Bay Area. It captures DTL and face on with enough frames to break things down. Granted, I am hitting off a mat, but I at least get to see the ball flight. You can view/mark your swings on the box or download them to take home.

If I'm hitting it poorly, I'll capture a swing and take a look at 1/4 speed . . . draw a few lines/circle my head and see what's going on . . . I use it to pick a swing thought and pick which drills to work on at home or the rest of my range session . . . I do not save my swings or download them . . . just use it as a quick peek- afraid I'll become an obsessed video frame by framer/over analyser . . .

Only use it in 5-10 minute bursts . . . I think a 6 hour card is $100.

I've watched a few Golf TEC lessons at Golfsmith- the putting green/putters is adjacent. Seems like you get a good frame by frame break down of your swing and someone to watch you and break down your swing. I suppose it depends on how you learn and the instructor you get. $25 for a 30 minute session with an instructor seems okay . . . good intro to see if you like that style of learning.

I did the 10 pack lessons and have only used 8. The system is great,it all depends on your teacher.The one i had we butted heads for a few lessons then i caved in a follwed him and found it to work out well.I took my lessons every 2-3 weeks in 4 months my handicap dropped from a solid 6 to 2.9 and was still dropping untill i hurt my shoulder. And to the poster about seeing ball flight,I feel its best to work on swing changes without see it.why,cause subconsciously you are able to change your swing by watching your flight.That could and will work against you.When you first change your swing,you will hit poor shots cause your not used to those or that new move.Even when i practice at home,i never watch ball cause i know excatly where its going anyhow,just from my swing.

So, for those who say it sucks,your wrong and have no concept about changing your swing

I started working with golf tec and i was shooting between 100 and 115. I worked with them for maybe 10 lessons over 5 months and I had lowered my scores to where i was upset shooting 90. The problem was, once i got into the 80's, i hit a wall and did not get any better.

Anytime you work on your game,you hit walls and have to work on it twice as hard to get over it.Thats why its hard to become a plus type golfer.When i was younger, i was good,but needed lessons to get better.I was a 4 handicap at the start of high school.Went through about 3 teachers untill i found one i liked.After 6 months i dropped to a 1.5 and at the end of the year got to scratch.After 6 months at that level we had to change up a few things to get over that hump.After 9 months working harder at my game i finally hit +2 with the handicap.That was another hump.Worked harder with short game,then finally saw improvements and saw +3..This game isnt easy to play at that level,hence why so few are that good..

The humps are an indication that something else need to be worked on to improve.

I did the 10 pack lessons and have only used 8. The system is great,it all depends on your teacher.The one i had we butted heads for a few lessons then i caved in a follwed him and found it to work out well.I took my lessons every 2-3 weeks in 4 months my handicap dropped from a solid 6 to 2.9 and was still dropping untill i hurt my shoulder. And to the poster about seeing ball flight,I feel its best to work on swing changes without see it.why,cause subconsciously you are able to change your swing by watching your flight.That could and will work against you.When you first change your swing,you will hit poor shots cause your not used to those or that new move.Even when i practice at home,i never watch ball cause i know excatly where its going anyhow,just from my swing.

So, for those who say it sucks,your wrong and have no concept about changing your swing

I took 6 lessons from them as an absolute beginner and felt like it was making my swing worse as my consistency was worse after 6 lessons than having taken no lessons (was unable to get the ball in the air after taking 6 golf lessons, pathetic), so I stopped going. I did learn some good fundementals from the lessons, but didn't feel like the instructor was very good and just didn't care enough about my improvement, only about signing me up for more lessons. My plan is to just get lessons from the pro at my golf club while on the driving range to fix my remaining flaws.

took a series of lessons and felt it was a waste of money, as other posters have stated the tech is awesome but I felt like they were trying to string me along with more and more lessons. It is like they are trying to get you hooked on "swing crack" and they teach you just enough to make you worse so you have to keep coming to get better, always dangleing a carrot so to speak. They obsess on hitting postions in the swing and not on dynamics, they also seem to try to fit you into a mold of the perfect swing, I did learn that I am not physically capable of swinging like Tiger or Adam Scott LOL, and they constantly try to sell you training aids,and equipment. If you are lookinhg to tweak your swing DO NOT GO, if you want to rebuild your swing over a period of 2 years it just might be your cup of tea.

edit: I kept telling my instructor "I need to feel what you are talking about" he told me on more than one occasion that he cant teach feel, he could only put me in the correct positions and I would have to learn the feel myself. That is what sealed the deal for me, I want an instructor who can teach me feel and the postions will take care of themselves.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I took 6 lessons from them as an absolute beginner and felt like it was making my swing worse as my consistency was worse after 6 lessons than having taken no lessons (was unable to get the ball in the air after taking 6 golf lessons, pathetic), so I stopped going. I did learn some good fundementals from the lessons, but didn't feel like the instructor was very good and just didn't care enough about my improvement, only about signing me up for more lessons. My plan is to just get lessons from the pro at my golf club while on the driving range to fix my remaining flaws.

Dont you know the ol saying? You will get worse before you get better.You will always get worse at first and it may take some time for your new swing to take hold and get better.I always hear oh i tokk a few leasons ,but it didnt work.Gee,i wonder why.You never gave it a chance.

Tiger is one of the best and it took over a year for his swing change to feel comfortable.

my theory-If you are good already and you take lessons your scores will go up at first by a guess of 5 strokes then i will go below what you are use to.If you are average,that score will go up 10 strokes.Why,cause you dont have the rest of the game to kept the scores lower.Short game,putting and the 100 yrd in shot.That area is worth a ton on your score.

took a series of lessons and felt it was a waste of money, as other posters have stated the tech is awesome but I felt like they were trying to string me along with more and more lessons. It is like they are trying to get you hooked on "swing crack" and they teach you just enough to make you worse so you have to keep coming to get better, always dangleing a carrot so to speak. They obsess on hitting postions in the swing and not on dynamics, they also seem to try to fit you into a mold of the perfect swing, I did learn that I am not physically capable of swinging like Tiger or Adam Scott LOL, and they constantly try to sell you training aids,and equipment. If you are lookinhg to tweak your swing DO NOT GO, if you want to rebuild your swing over a period of 2 years it just might be your cup of tea.

edit: I kept telling my instructor "I need to feel what you are talking about" he told me on more than one occasion that he cant teach feel, he could only put me in the correct positions and I would have to learn the feel myself. That is what sealed the deal for me, I want an instructor who can teach me feel and the postions will take care of themselves.

Feel cant be taught.Its something you already have or learn on your own.There is a drill that can help with that,but most teachers dont do that.

Dont you know the ol saying? You will get worse before you get better.You will always get worse at first and it may take some time for your new swing to take hold and get better.I always hear oh i tokk a few leasons ,but it didnt work.Gee,i wonder why.You never gave it a chance.

Tiger is one of the best and it took over a year for his swing change to feel comfortable.

my theory-If you are good already and you take lessons your scores will go up at first by a guess of 5 strokes then i will go below what you are use to.If you are average,that score will go up 10 strokes.Why,cause you dont have the rest of the game to kept the scores lower.Short game,putting and the 100 yrd in shot.That area is worth a ton on your score.

I'm not talking about my score going up, I'm talking about not being able to hit the ball to save my life after taking 6 lessons (spent over $400 and nothing to show for it), huge difference.