2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Can I make my other Scotty Cameron putters feel like my 1998 Teryllium?

CoolBreeze

Hi Everyone - I’ve been playing around with a few Scotty Cameron putters in my collection. Just recently, I picked up my gamer in the late 90s and early aughts - a 1998 Terylium Newport that has been sitting in a closet for a long time with no use. I thought to myself - “Wow, this putter feels so good in my hand. I love the grip. I love the overall weight. I love the swing weight. I also love the way the balls feel off the face. I just wish it had a sight line and tri-sole and I think I prefer a Newport 2 shape.” I have been gaming my other two Scotty’s with bigger grips and I forgot how great this thing feels.  I was wondering how easy it would be to replicate that “feeling” in them. I am not knowledgeable of all the putter lingo and its hard for me to describe what I am feeling. I hope you all get the point if I am not using the proper terms. I have:

1)      1998 Teryllium Newport - 35 inch - w/original stock Titleist Royal Pebble grip

2)      2018 Select Newport 2 - 35 inch - w/original stock midsize Matador grip.

a.      Feels a little clunky, less refined, - just not as precise during the stroke? Almost like some of my heavier mallets. 

b.      Swingweight - E00 - measured at Golf Galaxy (measured with original 10g weights)

c.      I’ve put 15g weights in and it just feels off to me as well - not sure why?   

3)      2018 Select Newport 2 - 34 inch - w/original stock midsize Matador grip.

a.       Original 15g weights - feels better in my hands than the 35 inch. I don’t like bending over this much though and it doesn’t get use

b.       Swingweight - D4.58 measured at Golf Galaxy

4)      2020 Special Select Squareback 2 - 35 inch - w/original stock Pistolini plus grip.

a.        Original 10g weights - feels ok, can’t feel the head as much but that might be confusing the cause with the more rubbery and thicker grip.

b.        Swingweight D7.1 - measured at Golf Galaxy

c.       15 g weights - it definitely feels heavier than the Teryllium overall. I am not sure if I am feeling the headweight or the overall weight. It is steady during the stroke but still different than the Teryllium.

I am not sure why the Teryllium feels so good or even what exactly I am feeling. Is there any way to “convert” my other two Scotty’s to feel this way? I don’t know the swing weight of the Terylium (let me know if you know this!) and I don’t believe the grip still exists out there. It is hard, thin and has an almost rounded triangle shape vs. the more oval/round shapes of current offerings.  Is there anything close to grip/weight combo that I can acquire now that is close? Or am I missing something like the stepped shaft makes a big difference? The way a putter feels to me seems like a mystery as the thinner and firmer grip of the Teryllium could be throwing off my senses a bit. Anyone else feel this way? Are there any other putters that Scotty makes that feels like the Terylium in the hand?

Teryllium is a tough one to replicate. It’s a carbon head which is going to produce a softer feel and a different sound than what your SS ones currently do. Just with that alone I think it would be tough to get the same feel. 

The older heads weighed in at 330 grams so it could well be that you are sensitive to the heavier heads. Can’t really replicate that either with the new ones. If you take the 15g weights out I think the MOI would be compromised. 

Your best bet may be to find a champions choice or a T22 on the classifieds and see if the newer teryllium heads give you a similar feel.

The royal pebble grip I believe is still an option from the custom shop and there are some that pop up here and there on FB Scotty groups if you keep an eye out for them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Haber said:

Teryllium is a tough one to replicate. It’s a carbon head which is going to produce a softer feel and a different sound than what your SS ones currently do. Just with that alone I think it would be tough to get the same feel. 

The older heads weighed in at 330 grams so it could well be that you are sensitive to the heavier heads. Can’t really replicate that either with the new ones. If you take the 15g weights out I think the MOI would be compromised. 

Your best bet may be to find a champions choice or a T22 on the classifieds and see if the newer teryllium heads give you a similar feel.

The royal pebble grip I believe is still an option from the custom shop and there are some that pop up here and there on FB Scotty groups if you keep an eye out for them.

Thank you for the recommendations!  I didn't know the facebook groups existed (it never crossed my mind). A concern I would have would be if they are selling fakes on there or not

Regarding compromising MOI if I took the weights out...I totally didn't think of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

4 minutes ago, CoolBreeze said:

Thank you for the recommendations!  I didn't know the facebook groups existed (it never crossed my mind). A concern I would have would be if they are selling fakes on there or not

Regarding compromising MOI if I took the weights out...I totally didn't think of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Pretty sure he meant the classifieds here and if people were to sell a fake they would be called out fast and mods taken care of them. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 2/28/2023 at 5:52 AM, CoolBreeze said:

Hi Everyone - I’ve been playing around with a few Scotty Cameron putters in my collection. Just recently, I picked up my gamer in the late 90s and early aughts - a 1998 Terylium Newport that has been sitting in a closet for a long time with no use. I thought to myself - “Wow, this putter feels so good in my hand. I love the grip. I love the overall weight. I love the swing weight. I also love the way the balls feel off the face. I just wish it had a sight line and tri-sole and I think I prefer a Newport 2 shape.” I have been gaming my other two Scotty’s with bigger grips and I forgot how great this thing feels.  I was wondering how easy it would be to replicate that “feeling” in them. I am not knowledgeable of all the putter lingo and its hard for me to describe what I am feeling. I hope you all get the point if I am not using the proper terms. I have:

1)      1998 Teryllium Newport - 35 inch - w/original stock Titleist Royal Pebble grip

2)      2018 Select Newport 2 - 35 inch - w/original stock midsize Matador grip.

a.      Feels a little clunky, less refined, - just not as precise during the stroke? Almost like some of my heavier mallets. 

b.      Swingweight - E00 - measured at Golf Galaxy (measured with original 10g weights)

c.      I’ve put 15g weights in and it just feels off to me as well - not sure why?   

3)      2018 Select Newport 2 - 34 inch - w/original stock midsize Matador grip.

a.       Original 15g weights - feels better in my hands than the 35 inch. I don’t like bending over this much though and it doesn’t get use

b.       Swingweight - D4.58 measured at Golf Galaxy

4)      2020 Special Select Squareback 2 - 35 inch - w/original stock Pistolini plus grip.

a.        Original 10g weights - feels ok, can’t feel the head as much but that might be confusing the cause with the more rubbery and thicker grip.

b.        Swingweight D7.1 - measured at Golf Galaxy

c.       15 g weights - it definitely feels heavier than the Teryllium overall. I am not sure if I am feeling the headweight or the overall weight. It is steady during the stroke but still different than the Teryllium.

I am not sure why the Teryllium feels so good or even what exactly I am feeling. Is there any way to “convert” my other two Scotty’s to feel this way? I don’t know the swing weight of the Terylium (let me know if you know this!) and I don’t believe the grip still exists out there. It is hard, thin and has an almost rounded triangle shape vs. the more oval/round shapes of current offerings.  Is there anything close to grip/weight combo that I can acquire now that is close? Or am I missing something like the stepped shaft makes a big difference? The way a putter feels to me seems like a mystery as the thinner and firmer grip of the Teryllium could be throwing off my senses a bit. Anyone else feel this way? Are there any other putters that Scotty makes that feels like the Terylium in the hand?

Honestly I would try a similar grip as the teryllium on the 35 inch newport 2 and change the weights to 5 gram weights.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 7X

Callaway Ai Smoke 💎 💎💎20* - Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - UST Attas T2 8X

Titleist TSR1 25* - Fuji Atmos HB Blue TS 8X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - DG X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - DG X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. DF3 - TPT - Press II 3* Smooth / L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - SS XL Tour 2.0

Srixon Z-Star 💎

17 hours ago, tilasan said:

Honestly I would try a similar grip as the teryllium on the 35 inch newport 2 and change the weights to 5 gram weights.

I was hoping it would be as easy as that but wasn't sure the headweight of the 2018 select. All my research showed that they went up in weight from the classics period but I couldn't find definitive info as to whether a 35 inch headweight was 340g with stock weights or 350g. I believe the consensus of the Teryllium is 330g.

3 hours ago, CoolBreeze said:

I was hoping it would be as easy as that but wasn't sure the headweight of the 2018 select. All my research showed that they went up in weight from the classics period but I couldn't find definitive info as to whether a 35 inch headweight was 340g with stock weights or 350g. I believe the consensus of the Teryllium is 330g.

I am pretty sure the headweight is 330g with no weights, so it will be 340g with 5 grams but a lot closer then 350g or more (think you were at previously 360g with 15 g weights).  I am pretty sure 5 grams are the smallest weights they make.  You could maybe try a smaller midsize grip (smaller then your previous grips but heavier then the stock one on the teryllium) which would balance it out a little more.  Honestly, I would try to find a grip closest to the one on the teryllium and then put in 5 gram weights, then go from there.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 7X

Callaway Ai Smoke 💎 💎💎20* - Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - UST Attas T2 8X

Titleist TSR1 25* - Fuji Atmos HB Blue TS 8X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - DG X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - DG X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. DF3 - TPT - Press II 3* Smooth / L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - SS XL Tour 2.0

Srixon Z-Star 💎