Different shiny finishes for Scotty Cameron carbon head

green5

Thinking of sending out my old trusty rusty Newport TEI3 to BOS golf and surprisingly I couldn't find much information after searching for a while. What's exactly the similiarity/difference between Shiny Black Oxide, Patina Oil, and Aquamarine and how do you like it? I also see copper finish is available but don't remember seeing it much around, has anyone tried it with an old SC putter?

52 minutes ago, green5 said:

Thinking of sending out my old trusty rusty Newport TEI3 to BOS golf and surprisingly I couldn't find much information after searching for a while. What's exactly the similiarity/difference between Shiny Black Oxide, Patina Oil, and Aquamarine and how do you like it? I also see copper finish is available but don't remember seeing it much around, has anyone tried it with an old SC putter?

Shiny black oxide is more or less the original TeI3 finish, aquamarine is more of a charcoal/bluish matte, and patina oil is just as it sounds... oil can finish.

As a fellow TeI3 owner, if I were to send it back I'd go with the original shiny black oxide. If nothing else, I'd avoid copper. It would sort of ruin the look of the insert as it would all basically blend together.

Edited by Abh159

6 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Shiny black oxide is more or less the original TeI3 finish, aquamarine is more of a charcoal/bluish matte, and patina oil is just as it sounds... oil can finish.

As a fellow TeI3 owner, if I were to send it back I'd go with the original shiny black oxide. If nothing else, I'd avoid copper. It would sort of ruin the look of the insert as it would all basically blend together.

Thanks for the information. I'm deliberating between the black oxide and the oil can options. Other than the "rainbow" visual effect, is there any noticeable difference in the longevity or the sheen?

Also anyone has an opinion for milling a Teryllium putter face or using a weighted grip? I'm afraid those might change the feel too much but I am also somewhat tempted. I've been almost exclusively been putting with this Newport for over 20 years and won't be selling it so not really worried about the resale value.  

Edited by green5

1 hour ago, green5 said:

Thanks for the information. I'm deliberating between the black oxide and the oil can options. Other than the "rainbow" visual effect, is there any noticeable difference in the longevity or the sheen?

Also anyone has an opinion for milling a Teryllium putter face or using a weighted grip? I'm afraid those might change the feel too much but I am also somewhat tempted. I've been almost exclusively been putting with this Newport for over 20 years and won't be selling it so not really worried about the resale value.  

To me, oil can has always just looked dirty. Like it was meant to be black but someone neglected it. 

Not telling what to do or not to do, but… why are you wanting to change everything? Different finish, mill the face, weighted grip, and etc. You said you’ve been using it for 20 years so I assume you like it in its current/original state. 

Go with whatever you think will make you happy, but I’d be careful with milling it. Once you do that there isn’t really a way to undo it if you don’t like it. 

OP some of the finishes you're looking at are in this thread, doesn't give full answer but partial idea.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 3/3/2023 at 6:12 PM, Abh159 said:

To me, oil can has always just looked dirty. Like it was meant to be black but someone neglected it. 

Not telling what to do or not to do, but… why are you wanting to change everything? Different finish, mill the face, weighted grip, and etc. You said you’ve been using it for 20 years so I assume you like it in its current/original state. 

Go with whatever you think will make you happy, but I’d be careful with milling it. Once you do that there isn’t really a way to undo it if you don’t like it. 

All good points. I guess I want to keep my old putter but just curious what a variation of it would feel like. I think I'll heed your advice keep this one stock other than a new grip.

On 3/3/2023 at 7:34 PM, MattM97 said:

OP some of the finishes you're looking at are in this thread, doesn't give full answer but partial idea.

Yes I had read through it but I wasn't quite sure what the differences really were, I have a better feel for it now. But still thanks for the link!

On 3/4/2023 at 4:55 PM, brendan6q66 said:

They’re both fantastic finishes. I have two Mil-Specs refinished by BOS, one in oil can and the other black oxide. Here’s a few pics to help you see the difference. There shouldn’t be any difference in durability or care between the two. It’s a tough choice… why not pick up another TeI3 so you can have one of each 😉

Thank you so much for sharing such lovely and very informative photos. It'd be nice to have another TeI3 but I'm trying to reduce the number of clubs in my house, not increase it! However I do admit once I get the putter head back all shiny and pretty I'll spend some time just holding and looking at it like Gollum with the one ring. 

• 1 month later...

I got the head back from BOS and it looks great. I was a bit worried because the head had been in a bad condition after more than 20 years of use but it turned out nicely.

The only thing I regret somewhat is that I think the original finish in 2000/2001 was closer to the oil can, not the black oxide. I'm fine either way but now I almost feel tempted to get another TEI3 just to have the oil can finish too but better not go down that rabbit hole. 

5 minutes ago, green5 said:

I got the head back from BOS and it looks great. I was a bit worried because the head had been in a bad condition after more than 20 years of use but it turned out nicely.

The only thing I regret somewhat is that I think the original finish in 2000/2001 was closer to the oil can, not the black oxide. I'm fine either way but now I almost feel tempted to get another TEI3 just to have the oil can finish too but better not go down that rabbit hole. 

The original finish on TeI3s was what BOS calls "shiny black oxide". If that is what you went with then that is what would be closest to the original.

4 hours ago, green5 said:

yea like mentioned above the shiny black oxide was the original finish

but... i'd say you still go for it, bc an oil can TeI3 sounds sweeeeeeeeeeet

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

On 5/2/2023 at 10:09 AM, Abh159 said:

The original finish on TeI3s was what BOS calls "shiny black oxide". If that is what you went with then that is what would be closest to the original.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:59 PM, AlohaPineapple said:

yea like mentioned above the shiny black oxide was the original finish

but... i'd say you still go for it, bc an oil can TeI3 sounds sweeeeeeeeeeet

Yeah I chose the shiny black oxide finish because that's the original finish but my brain keeps saying two decades ago this putter was more brown-ish with rainbow oil reflection. But it's very possible I'm thinking of the color after some oxidation. 

On 5/2/2023 at 9:38 PM, Chungy said:

Here’s original black oxide and aquamarine from BOS

Those are some amazing photos and I'd feel bad to game those putters. The copper insert on mine has already lost a little bit of luster and it bothering me. But I intend to game this putter for decades to come, again.