2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Looking for guidance after swing changes

KPR

I have received great advice on this forum (thanks Valtiel!!) on fixing my setup and using my lower body more. I have also had a couple lessons and have been working on additional changes over the winter.

My swing is now producing much more consistent results, but my miss is a hook now (used to be a slice). Just looking for any additional advice to help me keep improving. 

thanks!

driver swing: 

7i swing:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KPR said:

I have received great advice on this forum (thanks Valtiel!!) on fixing my setup and using my lower body more. I have also had a couple lessons and have been working on additional changes over the winter.

My swing is now producing much more consistent results, but my miss is a hook now (used to be a slice). Just looking for any additional advice to help me keep improving. 

thanks!

driver swing: 

FullSizeRender.mov 20.93 MB · 1 download  

7i swing:

FullSizeRender.MOV 10.72 MB · 0 downloads  

You have quite slow arms and late release. This prompts a steep angle of attack and an open face. It looks like you are holding the face open in the downswing. In order to not slice it you try to quickly rotate the face closed at the bottom, which is probably why you have a hook.

I would work on bringing the arms down first and releasing the club. You may fear hitting it fat, but you won't with proper sequencing. Basically, you need to square the face earlier on plane in order to get rid of the nasty hook or slice.

At this point, you can play good golf with shorter clubs. I'm guessing you hit nice fades with that 7 iron. However, as the clubs get longer they need more time in he downswing in order to square the face before reaching the ball. Good luck.

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

19 hours ago, slytown said:

You have quite slow arms and late release. This prompts a steep angle of attack and an open face. It looks like you are holding the face open in the downswing. In order to not slice it you try to quickly rotate the face closed at the bottom, which is probably why you have a hook.

I would work on bringing the arms down first and releasing the club. You may fear hitting it fat, but you won't with proper sequencing. Basically, you need to square the face earlier on plane in order to get rid of the nasty hook or slice.

At this point, you can play good golf with shorter clubs. I'm guessing you hit nice fades with that 7 iron. However, as the clubs get longer they need more time in he downswing in order to square the face before reaching the ball. Good luck.

Thank for you the feedback!! Your insights are spot on as I’m quite comfortable with shorter clubs, but have more trouble with longer ones. 

ill work on bringing the hands down first. I’ve watched some pre shot routine videos of Justin Rose exaggerating the movement for bringing his hands down, so I’ll try and practice that so I can get into a better position to release the club.

thanks again for the help!

• Like 1

Going back to your previous thread and reviewing what we discussed previously i'm still seeing elements of what I mentioned here:

Back in August you were firing your right side pretty hard at the ball, which we discussed, and this created some speed/power but also messed with your downswing plane and your lower body distance from the ball, a common issue. In an effort to quiet that right side you're keeping your foot down, but you haven't replaced it with the necessary left/lead side forces, so you went from a "bad" power source to kinda no power source. Instead of focusing on keeping your right foot planted and stationary, you instead want to redirect the force you were creating before, from firing your right side out towards the ball to firing it more down the target line, towards your left foot. You don't have to (and really don't WANT to) keep your trail foot planted flat on the ground, you instead want to feel that right foot unweighting and shifting towards the left

I'll show you what I mean with your 7i swing and why this gets worse with the longer clubs:

KPRTakeaway.gif.a72e4deeb0e39ec1ccaac6bac202e2f1.gif

This is a good hip move in your takeaway. I'd argue the club is getting a little flat and inside though, but it's something you correct when you reach the top so i'm not terribly concerned about that. Point of note though, at the end of this sequence you should be maxed out in terms of right leg pressure....

KPRTop.gif.04c2d746e2a9a56f3962301e8a4930e5.gif

And judging by the shifting in your right leg, your right toe coming up off the ground slightly, and your left pocket turning in towards the camera a bit, you're still adding pressure on that right leg all the way up to the top of the backswing. This is a problem because now you're going to start your downswing from this position and that will almost never work "correctly". All pros/high level players have stopped adding pressure to that trail leg after P2/P3 and have started stabilizing, re-centering, and even shifting towards the front side by the time the backswing is completing. Without a version of this move you will almost never be able to get off your trail side in time, and whichever side has the pressure on it is the one you'll use to rotate, hence your earlier swings having a ton of "right side towards the ball" that we discussed before. Now we're about to see you do a really good job of *resisting* that in transition, but the fact you've started with your weight too far back is going to sabotage this:

KPRTrans.gif.c7bae0950a9d4e1f25264cdf33b27be1.gif

This is a great initial hip move. Lots of pros (Tiger included) look very similar to this. The problem comes with what I said before and the fact that you won't be able to continue pushing your left side back without weight on it, which is something you're trying to do at the same time instead of it being already setup and waiting for you via the re-centering/shifting I mentioned before.

KPRImpact.gif.be7c0d6dad78669e49fc1ba3f91b371e.gif

So down into impact the left side moving back as stopped and now the right side takes over and swings towards the ball. You're trying to snap your left leg back, but too much weight on your right side is leading to your brain taking over and firing whatever it can to create rotation.

When trying to fix this you're likely going to have to feel like the moment you've started your takeaway that you stop loading the right leg because you can't make the backswing you're used to making while thinking "i'll recenter when my backswing is done" because it is already too late. The intent and timing of that recentering move needs to be baked into your swing right from the start, it can't be tacked on to the end. If you get an opportunity to post a face on video in the future that would be helpful to further highlight this.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

16 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Going back to your previous thread and reviewing what we discussed previously i'm still seeing elements of what I mentioned here:

I'll show you what I mean with your 7i swing and why this gets worse with the longer clubs:

This is a good hip move in your takeaway. I'd argue the club is getting a little flat and inside though, but it's something you correct when you reach the top so i'm not terribly concerned about that. Point of note though, at the end of this sequence you should be maxed out in terms of right leg pressure....

And judging by the shifting in your right leg, your right toe coming up off the ground slightly, and your left pocket turning in towards the camera a bit, you're still adding pressure on that right leg all the way up to the top of the backswing. This is a problem because now you're going to start your downswing from this position and that will almost never work "correctly". All pros/high level players have stopped adding pressure to that trail leg after P2/P3 and have started stabilizing, re-centering, and even shifting towards the front side by the time the backswing is completing. Without a version of this move you will almost never be able to get off your trail side in time, and whichever side has the pressure on it is the one you'll use to rotate, hence your earlier swings having a ton of "right side towards the ball" that we discussed before. Now we're about to see you do a really good job of *resisting* that in transition, but the fact you've started with your weight too far back is going to sabotage this:

This is a great initial hip move. Lots of pros (Tiger included) look very similar to this. The problem comes with what I said before and the fact that you won't be able to continue pushing your left side back without weight on it, which is something you're trying to do at the same time instead of it being already setup and waiting for you via the re-centering/shifting I mentioned before.

So down into impact the left side moving back as stopped and now the right side takes over and swings towards the ball. You're trying to snap your left leg back, but too much weight on your right side is leading to your brain taking over and firing whatever it can to create rotation.

When trying to fix this you're likely going to have to feel like the moment you've started your takeaway that you stop loading the right leg because you can't make the backswing you're used to making while thinking "i'll recenter when my backswing is done" because it is already too late. The intent and timing of that recentering move needs to be baked into your swing right from the start, it can't be tacked on to the end. If you get an opportunity to post a face on video in the future that would be helpful to further highlight this.

Valitel is right. That's what I meant by proper sequencing. If you have the slight lateral movement plus the arms come down faster, you can square the club, or turn through the ball, with your body. You may want to work on shifting your weight to your lead side before you complete your backswing. 

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2023 at 6:05 PM, Valtiel said:

thank you for the incredible analysis and helpful feedback as always. I apologize for the delayed response as I have had some back issues and I wasn’t able to practice your advice at the range until recently. 

however, you have me a lot of feedback to visualize the weight shift more properly at home and I have just been trying to practice that. 

I have been trying to feel the weight shift to my front leg much sooner and pushing my left side back through the rotation. It has honestly been very challenging to try and reprogram that movement, but I feel like I’ve had finally made some progress. 

I have included my current swing above, but I apologize for not getting a face on video as I had someone in the bay beside of me. 

thanks again!

On 4/3/2023 at 10:16 AM, slytown said:

Valitel is right. That's what I meant by proper sequencing. If you have the slight lateral movement plus the arms come down faster, you can square the club, or turn through the ball, with your body. You may want to work on shifting your weight to your lead side before you complete your backswing. 

Thank you! Your combined advice with Valtiel unlocked something for me to try and better understand the weight shift and proper sequencing. Getting the weight to my lead side before I initiate the transition has been my main focus to get a better feel for it.

it feels awkward still, but with more swings the movement is starting to feel more natural and seems to help me get my lead leg rotating back more in the downswing. 

thanks!