2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Moi matched my iron set, now living on the heel

Rbsiedsc

46 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Is this a better spot to be in? Was working on this after speed traing (sorry no club head or ball). 

Judging a swing without hitting a ball isn’t optimal because the body reacts differently when trying to make

contact and achieve a result

what I see is disconnected arms in the takeaway, no pressure shift, wrist not set as Monte pointed out earlier.

Left hip moving forward in the backswing and arms over running.

Steep transition and dropping right shoulder to shallow and right hip moving towards the ball.

Wrists in bad position and if there was a club the face would be open

• Thanks 1

Had a decent striking round today. Focused on swinging to left arm parallel and then initiating palmer flexion in transition. My fade for irons was gone and contact was much cleaner. Driver this wasn't helping, likely over swinging (I think because its a ventus black, i mentally think i need to make a big swing). When I swung with a fairway finder swing (easy swing and not to far back) still hit it 279 but was straight. Everything else with driver today was a bad slice. Will keep grinding with feels and proper movements. I found @iacas30 day practice plan and over the past few days has shown to be very helpful.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

Trying to get some perspective. Been working with my Skillest coach for the last year. Avg scores moved from breaking 100 once so 100-115 on avg. to breaking 90 more often. Let’s say 92-103 any given day. My coach likes the swing progress I have done. I agree, it’s made me mostly functional. My problem is all the flaws that get pointed out when I post progress or ask questions. At what point do you try to go from functional to fixing other flaws? Do I move coaches to try and address more of my technique since I have already developed some skill to compensate for my flaws. 

15 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Trying to get some perspective. Been working with my Skillest coach for the last year. Avg scores moved from breaking 100 once so 100-115 on avg. to breaking 90 more often. Let’s say 92-103 any given day. My coach likes the swing progress I have done. I agree, it’s made me mostly functional. My problem is all the flaws that get pointed out when I post progress or ask questions. At what point do you try to go from functional to fixing other flaws? Do I move coaches to try and address more of my technique since I have already developed some skill to compensate for my flaws. 

Scoring is much more than just full swing work. You may have a function Al swing compared to your old one, but that doesn’t guarantee lower scores, they’re so much more that goes into playing better/scoring lower.

Has your course management improved? How many strokes are you taking form 125 or 150 in? Has that changed over the course of the year.

Curious if you have video of your swing hitting a ball from a year ago and one with the latest change you made that led to a better ball striking day the other day that you can post for a comparison?

18 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

Scoring is much more than just full swing work. You may have a function Al swing compared to your old one, but that doesn’t guarantee lower scores, they’re so much more that goes into playing better/scoring lower.

Has your course management improved? How many strokes are you taking form 125 or 150 in? Has that changed over the course of the year.

Curious if you have video of your swing hitting a ball from a year ago and one with the latest change you made that led to a better ball striking day the other day that you can post for a comparison?

I didn’t record video of that swing. If I shoot more then I’ll do a compare and contrast. 

my biggest scoring issues are penalties and course management issues. It’s gotten a lot better. I plan my tee shots out ahead of time. Choose smarter targets. Focus on just getting on the green instead of trying to get cute. I don’t pin hunt. I take a club that will get to the back of the green on approaches. One thing I could do is play up a tee. I play back tees due to my driving distance. Doing that for a few rounds would definitely make the game more enjoyable 

See attached for SS data compared to a 20 hdcp since middle of last year.
IMG_7678.png.8727a2528882c53f1180aec311c1e5cb.pngAlso my driving by hole distance and my overall SG all compared to 20.
IMG_7679.png.72616bf957209daf8b488105a654ac17.pngMy putting this year is better than last by one stroke (moved to a LAB DF) and Short game is two strokes better than last year (had a lesson end of year that really helped) Tee dipped three strokes (due to penalties and my driver now slicing a lot compared to last year) and approach game is half a stroke worse this year, hence the focus on full swing of recently. 

19 total rounds (mostly 9 hole rounds)IMG_7680.png.d2dcc02b9ee0cfd92cd60f999296e7ca.png

IMG_7682.png.93084f5c09c5c917796b6293282828f9.png

IMG_7681.png.c2d8af81f5a7b74d57bee26df8eb505f.png

1 hour ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I didn’t record video of that swing. If I shoot more then I’ll do a compare and contrast. 

my biggest scoring issues are penalties and course management issues. It’s gotten a lot better. I plan my tee shots out ahead of time. Choose smarter targets. Focus on just getting on the green instead of trying to get cute. I don’t pin hunt. I take a club that will get to the back of the green on approaches. One thing I could do is play up a tee. I play back tees due to my driving distance. Doing that for a few rounds would definitely make the game more enjoyable 

See attached for SS data compared to a 20 hdcp since middle of last year.
IMG_7678.png.8727a2528882c53f1180aec311c1e5cb.pngAlso my driving by hole distance and my overall SG all compared to 20.
IMG_7679.png.72616bf957209daf8b488105a654ac17.pngMy putting this year is better than last by one stroke (moved to a LAB DF) and Short game is two strokes better than last year (had a lesson end of year that really helped) Tee dipped three strokes (due to penalties and my driver now slicing a lot compared to last year) and approach game is half a stroke worse this year, hence the focus on full swing of recently. 

19 total rounds (mostly 9 hole rounds)IMG_7680.png.d2dcc02b9ee0cfd92cd60f999296e7ca.png

IMG_7682.png.93084f5c09c5c917796b6293282828f9.png

IMG_7681.png.c2d8af81f5a7b74d57bee26df8eb505f.png

If you are happy with your coach and you feel like he cns help you get better then stay with him and try to spend as much time practicing short game as you do full swing. Short game isn’t going to improve on its own.

what course management issues do you think you have?

Why the back of the green as the target?

15 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

If you are happy with your coach and you feel like he cns help you get better then stay with him and try to spend as much time practicing short game as you do full swing. Short game isn’t going to improve on its own.

what course management issues do you think you have?

Why the back of the green as the target?

Back of the green as target since most Am's don't hit the ball flush. Best case I am just over the green. Worse case, i am still likely on the green.

Course management issues: They aren't as bad as it used to be but i still have my moments.

Over swinging driver when a fairway finder will work.

Getting greedy with short pitches (50% of the time I remember to just aim at the fat part of the green and not short side myself).

understanding what different lies will due to my shot (above feet will cause it to draw more, rough going toward target so likely a flier, still engraining these things).

As for my coach, i like him a lot. its a two fold issue though with commentary i get from others and the fact that when i started, his rates were way more affordable to what his rates are now.

Edited by Rbsiedsc

25 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Back of the green as target since most Am's don't hit the ball flush. Best case I am just over the green. Worse case, i am still likely on the green.

To me this doesn’t make much sense. If the pin is middle maybe a little sense but can lead to being in a bad spot to putt from. Middle of the green is probably a wiser choice but far part of the green and in similar position to the pin. 

Over swinging driver when a fairway finder will work.

This could be course management but it could be ego more than course management. 

understanding what different lies will due to my shot (above feet will cause it to draw more, rough going toward target so likely a flier, still engraining these things).

I would recommend looking into Monte’s videos on these types of shots.

29 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

As for my coach, i like him a lot. its a two fold issue though with commentary i get from others and the fact that when i started, his rates were way more affordable to what his rates are now.

This is the issue when asking for other opinions about the swing outside of what the coach is trying to have you do. Monte touched on how many don’t care if their guy gets a second opinion, but it can lead to doubts and questioning the learning. As for the price that’s really only something you can decide on. Is the value of the information and instruction you are getting worth the new price.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoGoErky said:

To me this doesn’t make much sense. If the pin is middle maybe a little sense but can lead to being in a bad spot to putt from. Middle of the green is probably a wiser choice but far part of the green and in similar position to the pin. 

This could be course management but it could be ego more than course management. 

I would recommend looking into Monte’s videos on these types of shots.

This is the issue when asking for other opinions about the swing outside of what the coach is trying to have you do. Monte touched on how many don’t care if their guy gets a second opinion, but it can lead to doubts and questioning the learning. As for the price that’s really only something you can decide on. Is the value of the information and instruction you are getting worth the new price.

The first one comes from "The Four Foundations of Golf". Of course, if it is a front pin and I know for sure, I pick middle of green.

Ya, initially I asked if this was a club issue and unfortunately I got feedback on my mechanics which sent me down a brief rabbit hole. I meditated a little and then saw a video from a different coach that also showed what my coach was trying to get me to do and I felt validated. I will say, if it wasn't for my rabbit hole, I wouldn't have found out about Palmer Flexion to close the club face in transition, so there was a plus there. Ultimately, I just need to keep grinding, maybe send in videos less often to my coach and my improvements over time.

Thanks for the commentary.

14 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

if it wasn't for my rabbit hole, I wouldn't have found out about Palmer Flexion to close the club face in transition, so there was a plus there. Ultimately, I just need to keep grinding, maybe send in videos less often to my coach and my improvements over time.

You have mentioned that you have dabbled in ntc. This is basically the cast a move. 

I don’t know if less interaction with the coach is the right approach. 4-6 weeks is probably a good period.

when you practice do you do slow motion drills if a specific movement like wrist set early on the swing and hit balls from that position or from lead arm parallel?

Or any of the drills your coach gives you? 

I do find it interesting tho that after a year wrist set in the takeaway and then the cast a move haven’t been discussed by your coach

Edited by GoGoErky

6 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

You have mentioned that you have dabbled in ntc. This is basically the cast a move. 

I don’t know if less interaction with the coach is the right approach. 4-6 weeks is probably a good period.

when you practice do you do slow motion drills if a specific movement like wrist set early on the swing and hit balls from that position or from lead arm parallel?

Or any of the drills your coach gives you? 

yes i do. I usually spend the first half of my range time doing drills slow along with alternating with my DIY pressure board. Then I do face contact work with driver and then some random/experimental work with the rest of my bucket.

When i can't get to the range, I do the slow swings with foam balls in a park by me or I do dry swings indoors slow and then full speed.

Edited by Rbsiedsc
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a TrackMan session today after a week’s vacation. Best ball striking of the year. The pro couldn’t believe I was a 20 cap. Stock swings. Not full bore. Good information to have for on the course and some validation of swing work I have been doing. 

• Like 1

Would HackMotion help me out here to see proper wrist movement?

• 3 weeks later...

Had a video lesson with my coach and some good things to work on. Speed training and listening to too many voices threw me back to old habits. I am on a pathway to a more useable swing now.