2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping PLD Custom Program

dlow206

I know that there is talk of the PLD custom program in other PLD threads, but wanted to create one that is specific to the custom program.

i have my appointment set up for an in-person fitting for early April. really excited for this and am trying to think of all the creative stuff that i ask for. i know they may not be able to fulfill all custom requests, but worth a shot to ask.

anyone else booked yet?

• Like 3

I’m trying to stealth like encourage my wife to plan a vacation near there so I can set one up. 
if I did go I would just let the fitter do their thing and try to give as much feedback as possible on my taste and what looks good to my eye. 
I’m sure whatever I end up with would be carbon steel with the raw patina finish 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Unteachable said:

I’m trying to stealth like encourage my wife to plan a vacation near there so I can set one up. 
if I did go I would just let the fitter do their thing and try to give as much feedback as possible on my taste and what looks good to my eye. 
I’m sure whatever I end up with would be carbon steel with the raw patina finish 

that is exactly what i did (the family vacation)

My virtual fitting is the 24th. So far, Ive been impressed. A perfect amount of communication and even a call to ask what questions I had before our fitting actually happens. One thing I have found slightly disappointing is when I had asked if there was a list of options to choose from - there isn’t/wasn’t. Ping has a lot of brand equity with me, so it isn’t a big deal but I found it a little odd. I guess one could argue that having those options available for a consumer to choose from and simply building the request would be more of a competitor to a Toulon Garage and less of a “Tour experience” they are going for. I’ll update everyone with my experience but I feel the price tag is fairly reasonable for what you receive.

I wish I could do it in person but that’s not in the cards at this time. 

• Like 3

On 3/11/2022 at 6:53 PM, leftycabe said:

My virtual fitting is the 24th. So far, Ive been impressed. A perfect amount of communication and even a call to ask what questions I had before our fitting actually happens. One thing I have found slightly disappointing is when I had asked if there was a list of options to choose from - there isn’t/wasn’t. Ping has a lot of brand equity with me, so it isn’t a big deal but I found it a little odd. I guess one could argue that having those options available for a consumer to choose from and simply building the request would be more of a competitor to a Toulon Garage and less of a “Tour experience” they are going for. I’ll update everyone with my experience but I feel the price tag is fairly reasonable for what you receive.

I wish I could do it in person but that’s not in the cards at this time. 

this is so cool - can't wait to hear feedback on the virtual experience. Might have to start selling some stuff to build up that PayPal balance! 

• Like 1

I checked with the guy I’m scheduled to do my fitting with. He’s been fantastic. He told me the following models are part of the PLD program. 

1. Anser
  2. Anser 2
  3. Anser 2D
  4. Kushin – Double bend
  5. Kushin H
  6. Kushin 4
  7. DS72 – Double bend
  8. DS72 H
  9. DS72 4
  10. Prime Tyne – Double bend
  11. Prime Tyne H
  12. Prime Tyne 4
  13. Oslo – Double bend
  14. Oslo H
  15. Oslo 4

I should clarify that he did not specify if any of these models are currently unavailable or if there are some that are available at a later date, etc. Regardless, I thought I’d share what info I had. Hopefully this is helpful to others. I’ve found this to be a pretty impressive selection to customize. I hope this is the one that will be a 20 year gamer. 

• Like 1

even though i am doing an in-person fitting, they still send the iPing apple device and cradle to first do at home. i guess it makes it so i don't have to bring my gamer with me to the in-person fitting, and they can get some data in advance. they said the iPing will be repeated during the in-person fitting as well. 

i still haven't figured out what type of creative stuff i want (color, engravings, etc.)

On 3/15/2022 at 6:07 PM, leftycabe said:

I checked with the guy I’m scheduled to do my fitting with. He’s been fantastic. He told me the following models are part of the PLD program. 

1. Anser
  2. Anser 2
  3. Anser 2D
  4. Kushin – Double bend
  5. Kushin H
  6. Kushin 4
  7. DS72 – Double bend
  8. DS72 H
  9. DS72 4
  10. Prime Tyne – Double bend
  11. Prime Tyne H
  12. Prime Tyne 4
  13. Oslo – Double bend
  14. Oslo H
  15. Oslo 4

I should clarify that he did not specify if any of these models are currently unavailable or if there are some that are available at a later date, etc. Regardless, I thought I’d share what info I had. Hopefully this is helpful to others. I’ve found this to be a pretty impressive selection to customize. I hope this is the one that will be a 20 year gamer. 

Are those the only heads available for the full custom program? I know exactly what I want and was going to take advantage of this but the style I want isn’t listed. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

5 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

Are those the only heads available for the full custom program? I know exactly what I want and was going to take advantage of this but the style I want isn’t listed. 

Those are the only heads listed as available. but you can always try asking for something that's not on the list

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kenny Lee Puckett said:

You'll enjoy the PING Tour Department immensely (they call it "The Proving Grounds" now, but it's been the same thing all along, they remodeled the lobby most recently FWIW). Jeff T. will probably do all the onsite work with you on the putter. The Putting Studio is inside the Tour Department offices basically, it's not a large room. A long, perfectly level, granite slab you stand up on for putter testing, there's also a little practice green in the room with a few holes. You'll see the inside of the PING Gold Putter Vault at some point (it's in another area, you'd walk right buy it, it's not particularly noticeable). Weather here in April will be spectacular, you might even spend a few minutes outside on the artificial turf green that sits between the buildings and the driving range. You'll see outdoor range testing going on right there in front of you. It could be anybody out there on any given day. It'll be a blast dude. Every time you leave that place it's with a smile on your face. Have fun!

dumb question here but aside from PLD, can you get fitted for irons/woods there?

Does anyone have the link to sign up or to find out which are available, the link I try (as seen in the screenshot) from the Ping website is always dead for me.

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 6.48.41 AM.png

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

5 hours ago, Viper4225 said:

dumb question here but aside from PLD, can you get fitted for irons/woods there?

Vipe, that part is not an everyday occurrence, that's typically a special invite, but that being said, it is possible. If you're coming from out of state I'd imagine connections thru your regional PING Rep could possibly open the door for you. I'm a PING Top 100 Fitter, and an AZ local 30 mins away from the factory itself, so it has been something I've been VERY fortunate to have enjoyed on numerous trips there over the years.

• Like 4

Is it not possible to get a center shafted Tyne?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

21 minutes ago, ace036 said:

Pretty sure you can, they already make them for Champ so they should make them for this program.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

10 hours ago, ace036 said:

Exactly what I was wondering.  I would love to do this if I could get it past the wife.  I’m open to different neck styles but would want center shaft to be included for testing as that is what has generally gave me the best results.

Got the iPing kit today (even though i am doing in-person, you still do a round of testing with the iPing kit with your gamer). The app is a streamlined version of the normal iPing kit, it doesn't have the functionality where it tells your your "putting handicap" nor does it provide and summary of your data. You can look at the data captured for each putt though. And then you submit the data to your fitter. 

although it doesn't provide the summary, i found that i am right on the border between slight arc and strong arc, slow tempo. these are all things i knew based on a SAM putt lab fitting in the past, so its good that its consistent. 

31 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Got the iPing kit today (even though i am doing in-person, you still do a round of testing with the iPing kit with your gamer). The app is a streamlined version of the normal iPing kit, it doesn't have the functionality where it tells your your "putting handicap" nor does it provide and summary of your data. You can look at the data captured for each putt though. And then you submit the data to your fitter. 

although it doesn't provide the summary, i found that i am right on the border between slight arc and strong arc, slow tempo. these are all things i knew based on a SAM putt lab fitting in the past, so its good that its consistent. 

Always wanted to do a Sam putter fitting , worth it?  If anything just to learn about my stroke 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

14 hours ago, dlow206 said:

You can download the iping 2.0 app afterwards and do/see all of that stuff. 

guided fit, single stroke, fit for stroke, as well as live Lie/Loft. It’s awesome. I’ve been doing a lot of sessions on it. 

10 hours ago, jeff1727 said:

Program must be doing well.  No available appointments until first week of June.  Thinking I’ll put down my deposit tomorrow and get on the  schedule.    

Keep looking. I booked about 3 weeks ago and wasn’t anything until end of may. 

then one day, virtual opened for end of march. Someone must have canceled. I grabbed it right away. 

glad to see it going over well tho!

16 minutes ago, YoungJedi said:

Keep looking. I booked about 3 weeks ago and wasn’t anything until end of may. 

then one day, virtual opened for end of march. Someone must have canceled. I grabbed it right away. 

glad to see it going over well tho!

Good suggestion.  I’ll periodically check for any cancellations.  

Does anyone know what a DS 72 4 is?  I was thinking maybe a slant/flow neck, but isn't that what the DS 72 H would be, or is that just for heel shafted?

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

For those like myself interested in a center shafted Tyne through the PLD program, I reached out to Ping customer service and they responded with the following:

“Thank you for your inquiry. At this time it is a prototype (not an option), but if it gains traction we may add into available options.”

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

2 hours ago, ace036 said:

For those like myself interested in a center shafted Tyne through the PLD program, I reached out to Ping customer service and they responded with the following:

“Thank you for your inquiry. At this time it is a prototype (not an option), but if it gains traction we may add into available options.”

For $1300 it would have been nice if they could have made this happen.  It seems like most of the customization is in stamping options, weighting and site lines that are not available on OTR models. It doesn’t feel like a “tour experience” if you can’t get what the pros have access to.  I think the hefty price tag takes into account the fitting process one goes through to get a properly fit putter. 

Alright, got my kit ! Zoom call next Wednesday. Can't wait !

• Like 2

WITB:

TSR2 10* @D1 Tour AD UB 6s

G430 5W @ flat neutral Tour AD UB 7s

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

'23 T200 Utility AD IZ 95S

'23 King Tour 5-G Modus 105S

RTX 6 Zipcore Tour Rack 54 Low+ and 58 Low

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Soft X