We don't want any more band aids for hooks and slices!

19 hours ago, fried121 said:

I completely agree and don't own one myself.  However, as others have mentioned, PGA Superstore and other such shops have rental programs. . . .Even going into to do a free fitting or test clubs will give you an idea of these numbers.  

In terms of a more old school analysis, start line is a good indicator of face angle, and from there take a look at the ball flight curve.  Once you determine the miss you can adjust the path or face a variety of ways (open/close stance, grip changes, swing feel changes)

go to a grass range look at your divots it's an easy way to see your swing path. 

Edited by PhillipG78

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

Maltby Milled Wedges 50,56,60

KS1 Putter

8 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

go to a grass range look at your divots it's an easy way to see your swing path. 

Have to be carful with that, as many variables contribute to where the divot points and as a result, not much can be discerned.  A proper low point usually produces a left divot on an in to out swing because you’re on the sort of the arc already moving left.

An “in to out” divot is usually the result of a path way too far right.

• Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

7 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Have to be carful with that, as many variables contribute to where the divot points and as a result, not much can be discerned.  A proper low point usually produces a left divot on an in to out swing because you’re on the sort of the arc already moving left.

Agreed but if he cant get access to a monitor or a coach im at a loss for anything else to recommend

• Like 1

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

Maltby Milled Wedges 50,56,60

KS1 Putter

2 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Years ago when I knew less than what I know now which isn’t saying much my divots would go a little left.  The ball flight was great but since I had read somewhere that the divot should point at the target I was highly agitated that something was wrong.  The more I got it to point at the target the worse I hit it.  Imagine that!  If  you really don’t know how all the parts match up you will be lost.

few years back at one of Monties clinics he had one thing he wanted me to do.

Montie: “Stop your right shoulder from coming out or forward too soon.”   
Me: “How do I do that?  Any drills?”

Montie: “find a way, you have the hardest thing in golf to fix.”

Took 4 years to fix,  and I’m not sure he would like my solution, but it works.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, b_f_c_99 said:

Years ago when I knew less than what I know now which isn’t saying much my divots would go a little left.  The ball flight was great but since I had read somewhere that the divot should point at the target I was highly agitated that something was wrong.  The more I got it to point at the target the worse I hit it.  Imagine that!  If  you really don’t know how all the parts match up you will be lost.

few years back at one of Monties clinics he had one thing he wanted me to do.

Montie: “Stop your right shoulder from coming out or forward too soon.”   
Me: “How do I do that?  Any drills?”

Montie: “find a way, you have the hardest thing in golf to fix.”

Took 4 years to fix,  and I’m not sure he would like my solution, but it works.

If it worked I like it

• Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

@GoGoErky A few swings from today. I'm still overswinging and hooking also. I'm trying to not overswing but I think I returned to my usual hip rotation instead of hip back and up. From what I can see here is my right hip is leaning towards the ball in the downswing and I'm early extending?

Also I done the right foot back shot which I didn't get recorded. But I moved my right foot back 3 inch and I was able to get through and hit it straight and longer. Any ideas how that worked?

44 minutes ago, aaronjohnston said:

Anyone feel free to give me constructive criticism. I don't want attitude, I want clean but honest advice. 

This is why videos hitting a ball are better than some sort of controlled air swing.

Your address position is to hunched over. You rotate everything together and have no wrist set and your arms keep going after your turn completes.

This leads to all your downswing issues.

I know you are trying two different swing philosophies but it’s probably going to be better to work with a pro in person 

Edited by GoGoErky
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

This is why videos hitting a ball are better than some sort of controlled air swing.

Your address position is to hunched over. You rotate everything together and have no wrist set and your arms keep going after your turn completes.

This leads to all your downswing issues.

I know you are trying two different swing philosophies but it’s probably going to be better to work with a pro in person 

Yea I feel I need a pro's guidance also.

The too hunched over seems like if i stand up more i'm completely off plane or can't reach ball.

47 minutes ago, aaronjohnston said:

Yea I feel I need a pro's guidance also.

The too hunched over seems like if i stand up more i'm completely off plane or can't reach ball.

You are off plane in your current swing. When you stand up more you are probably not in the proper position if you can’t reach the ball.

Or you have a club length issue. 

6 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

You are off plane in your current swing. When you stand up more you are probably not in the proper position if you can’t reach the ball.

Or you have a club length issue. 

I have 1 inch longer than standard based on ping colour chart. Lie may need addressed. 

50 minutes ago, aaronjohnston said:

I'm thinking it could be physical and i need to do strength exercising. Hamstrings are very sore today.

I doubt anything physical is preventing you from having a taller setup position and reaching the ball. My guess is you stand too upright and don’t get the proper hinge and knee flex. Then you end up overdoing it as demonstrated in your recent video

There a bunch of videos on how to setup properly that show how far to stand from the ball.

they all have basically the same concept as what porzak shows.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

I doubt anything physical is preventing you from having a taller setup position and reaching the ball. My guess is you stand too upright and don’t get the proper hinge and knee flex. Then you end up overdoing it as demonstrated in your recent video

There a bunch of videos on how to setup properly that show how far to stand from the ball.

they all have basically the same concept as what porzak shows.

Been watching his strength training videos.

Thank you for sharing this.

When you say the proper knee flex, I have seen many coaches saying not to flex knees too much. Since I'm tall at 6ft 5 I have to assume I need a little more flex than the average person?

17 minutes ago, aaronjohnston said:

Been watching his strength training videos.

Thank you for sharing this.

When you say the proper knee flex, I have seen many coaches saying not to flex knees too much. Since I'm tall at 6ft 5 I have to assume I need a little more flex than the average person?

Yes the knee flex is going to vary by golfer as is the hinge. The method Porzak talks about applies to all heights 

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 8:41 PM, Rbsiedsc said:

Not op but went down the grip rathole. Can a strong grip cause slicing since it is usually cupped at the top unless you bow it or ulnar deviate (motorcycle move)?

If a grip is strong enough, cupping has nearly the same effect on the club as cocking the wrists in a neutral grip has. If you stand at address and just cup your wrists, without making a backswing, the club will raise vertically, yet the face will be still facing the target (that is if your grip is strong enough).

19 minutes ago, aaronjohnston said:

Will get on it! Looks like posture and grip need to be ingrained properly before moving ahead any further

Having the fundamentals down is a good start.

Just as a reference to height and reaching the ball. I recall @Carolina Golfer 2 had a tpi fitting where he was fit into titleist standard length in irons despite being 6’7”. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

Having the fundamentals down is a good start.

Just as a reference to height and reaching the ball. I recall @Carolina Golfer 2 had a tpi fitting where he was fit into titleist standard length in irons despite being 6’7”. 

Wow! standard length for 6'7" how is that possible lol

I went with Ping and my wrist from floor height and my body height was right in the middle of 1" longer than standard. 

4 minutes ago, aaronjohnston said:

Wow! standard length for 6'7" how is that possible lol

I went with Ping and my wrist from floor height and my body height was right in the middle of 1" longer than standard. 

It’s more than just wrist to floor. Length of arms, body proportions, so on.

iirc the fitter never took a wtf measurement for him and it was based on swing and ball flight. The fitter had considered going a little shorter but left it at their standard length. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, aaronjohnston said:

Will get on it! Looks like posture and grip need to be ingrained properly before moving ahead any further

Pretty much,  but it's not a daunting task, it comes from diligence.   Jason is a tall guy like yourself and some of his, and Elkington's, thoughts to keep in mind.

• Like 1

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

17 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

It’s more than just wrist to floor. Length of arms, body proportions, so on.

iirc the fitter never took a wtf measurement for him and it was based on swing and ball flight. The fitter had considered going a little shorter but left it at their standard length. 

I see. So the swing was adapting to the club length but his ability and skill was able to match that length. Where as some would need that little extra length to help them match the swing with the clubs. 

15 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

Pretty much,  but it's not a daunting task, it comes from diligence.   Jason is a tall guy like yourself and some of his, and Elkington's, thoughts to keep in mind.

He is tall lol. Nice thoughts to keep in mind also. Will try that drop to see how far it falls lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aaronjohnston said:

I see. So the swing was adapting to the club length but his ability and skill was able to match that length. Where as some would need that little extra length to help them match the swing with the clubs. 

The swing wasn’t adapting to the length. The length was fit to his swing. Tall and shorter arms will be different than tall with longer arms. Longer legs and shorter torso, a balance of upper and lower body, will be different. All will affect how one stands and swings.

It’s why wrist to floor is nothing more than a starting point for length and then from there the fitter adjust as needed. I haven’t seen a fitter use wtf in any fitting and I’m pretty sure the master fitter at tpi that did cg2s fitting didn’t either because you don’t hit a ball standing up 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

The swing wasn’t adapting to the length. The length was fit to his swing. Tall and shorter arms will be different than tall with longer arms. Longer legs and shorter torso, a balance of upper and lower body, will be different. All will affect how one stands and swings.

It’s why wrist to floor is nothing more than a starting point for length and then from there the fitter adjust as needed. I haven’t seen a fitter use wtf in any fitting and I’m pretty sure the master fitter at tpi that did cg2s fitting didn’t either because you don’t hit a ball standing up 

Ok I hear you now. That makes more sense.

I change my stance. I prefer to hit cuts with driver as it's easier to not get stuck and hit a big block. I am a little stronger grip than I used to be now though. 

If all your shots are big slices or hooks that's one thing. If it's just a bad swing then throw it in the mental garbage can. I spent too much time trying to "fix" 10% bad swings instead of dialing in the 90% great, good and acceptable swings. 

• Like 1