2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Mizuno Pro 223 vs PXG 0317 CB

Lhalberg

4 hours ago, Brandanb88 said:

So CB tend to be slightly more forgiving. 223 are hotter outdoors. I currently have 223 and switching to CB have tested and loved them. CB feel softer and head weight you can dial in. 

What shafts are you going to play on the CB’s. That’s the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on the CB’s. I like the shaft options better on the 223’s. 

7 hours ago, Brandanb88 said:

So CB tend to be slightly more forgiving. 223 are hotter outdoors. I currently have 223 and switching to CB have tested and loved them. CB feel softer and head weight you can dial in. 

That's great to hear.  Current 223 user.  Love them but looking for something a little more friendly in 5 and 6 iron for days when I am a bit offf my swing.  Never been a fan of PXG but these have my full attention.  Also thinking of trying Ping i230 so wonder how 317 CB compare to those?

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

26 minutes ago, soap1984 said:

The 223 are good they are decently forgiving and to me feel awesome. Haven't tried the 317. If you like the 223 and prefer thin soles I would slot the i230 behind them both because the 230 did not have great turf interaction/feel at least to me, but I'm a bit shallow into the ball. 

Interesting re the Ping i230.  I did try a demo 7 iron but it was just the standard lie angle and I am usually a few degrees up.  I tend to be shallow too and thin shots with the Ping felt  awful but still go.  I had to really concentrate on hitting down on the ball  but when I did they felt very good.  Not really a full demo or fitting so not judging until then...

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

23 minutes ago, blades_are_life said:

If you are looking at cavities, have you tried the JPX923 Tour? I found those notably better than both MP223 and 0317CB.

I found JPX 923 Tour and the previous 900/919/921 Tour to be fairly demanding from 7 iron and down and even more so than 223s Great clubs though  and I wish I was good enough to game them.  That's why I am looking for something a tad more forgiving and hoping the PXG could be a contender  

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

23 minutes ago, MyShortGameSucks said:

Interesting re the Ping i230.  I did try a demo 7 iron but it was just the standard lie angle and I am usually a few degrees up.  I tend to be shallow too and thin shots with the Ping felt  awful but still go.  I had to really concentrate on hitting down on the ball  but when I did they felt very good.  Not really a full demo or fitting so not judging until then...

Ping looked huge to me. Also did not feel great to me. I really wanted to like those. 

26 minutes ago, Brandanb88 said:

Ping looked huge to me. Also did not feel great to me. I really wanted to like those. 

depends on what you’re looking for, I guess. Size at the ball is very similar to ZX7 to me. A tad bigger than T100 or 223, but far from big. Feel-wise, I’d put them in the T100 camp also. Not the softest out there, but good feel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

11 hours ago, MyShortGameSucks said:

I found JPX 923 Tour and the previous 900/919/921 Tour to be fairly demanding from 7 iron and down and even more so than 223s Great clubs though  and I wish I was good enough to game them.  That's why I am looking for something a tad more forgiving and hoping the PXG could be a contender  

I have JPX 921 tours and they are very good but, to me, not as forgiving and the 223's feel better. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soap1984 said:

I have JPX 921 tours and they are very good but, to me, not as forgiving and the 223's feel better. 

JPX923 Tour is big upgrade over JPX921 Tour imo.

On 5/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, MyShortGameSucks said:

>5 handicap

>MyShortGameSucks

How is one to believe the ballstriking is not there? 😛

Edited by blades_are_life
  • Haha 2

Yeah I even felt like the 921T are pretty forgiving. Far from a blade. Haven’t hit the 923T yet but from reviews etc online, looks like forgiveness has improved! 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

50 minutes ago, Seidinho said:

Yeah I even felt like the 921T are pretty forgiving. Far from a blade. Haven’t hit the 923T yet but from reviews etc online, looks like forgiveness has improved! 

Yeah it has. Make an effort to try them out, they are genuinely mindblowing clubs for what they are. I saw Rick Shiels was dumping his T100s for something in the same category because he didn't think they had great feel and imo he would be an idiot to not focus on those in his selection process. I almost sent him an email after I saw that video, that is how strongly I felt about it.

Edited by blades_are_life
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Can’t believe I’m typing this, but after getting fit today for the 0317 CB…I’m leaving Mizuno after a pretty solid run of loyalty. Had the 221/223s combo, good not great (but gorgeous). Have the JPXs 923 Tour/Forged combo (same). 

PXG 0317 CB were hotter, launch consistently, with softer feel. Saw it with my own eyes and on the Trackman. What a damn deal…so I guess a BOOM BABY is in order.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 2:02 PM, regiwstruk said:

Can’t believe I’m typing this, but after getting fit today for the 0317 CB…I’m leaving Mizuno after a pretty solid run of loyalty. Had the 221/223s combo, good not great (but gorgeous). Have the JPXs 923 Tour/Forged combo (same). 

PXG 0317 CB were hotter, launch consistently, with softer feel. Saw it with my own eyes and on the Trackman. What a damn deal…so I guess a BOOM BABY is in order.

How are you liking the cbs?  I’m currently playing the cbs and thinking about going jpx tours.  How would you compare them?

On 8/29/2023 at 8:42 AM, Pnwpingi210 said:

How are you liking the cbs?  I’m currently playing the cbs and thinking about going jpx tours.  How would you compare them?

Man, it’s all in the eye of the beholder but the PXG are just better clubs in my opinion. My top requirements in an iron are a soft feel at impact, with a consistent launch and distance on pure strikes. I also want a little more help than a blade, but a similar top line and lofts b/c of what I’m used to swinging.

PXG 0317CB are the perfect iron for these requirements. In fairness as a longtime Mizuno homer, I had different shafts in the JPX heads. They were the ones fitted and recommended to me by Mizuno. I followed the same process with PXG. If I flipped them, would the outcome be different? I don’t know.

But as it stands today, the 0317 CBs are the best irons I’ve ever had. When they inevitably drop in price, I plan to buy another set with the same specs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, regiwstruk said:

Man, it’s all in the eye of the beholder but the PXG are just better clubs in my opinion. My top requirements in an iron are a soft feel at impact, with a consistent launch and distance on pure strikes. I also want a little more help than a blade, but a similar top line and lofts b/c of what I’m used to swinging.

PXG 0317CB are the perfect iron for these requirements. In fairness as a longtime Mizuno homer, I had different shafts in the JPX heads. They were the ones fitted and recommended to me by Mizuno. I followed the same process with PXG. If I flipped them, would the outcome be different? I don’t know.

But as it stands today, the 0317 CBs are the best irons I’ve ever had. When they inevitably drop in price, I plan to buy another set with the same specs. 

Thanks for this.  How do the pxg and jpx tour line compare on flight?  

agree with the pxgs being soft.  They do tend to launch and spin a bit for me.  Looking for a more boring trajectory.  Every now and then I pull out my mp32’s and play around and the flight they give is perfect, on solid strikes 🙂

On 9/1/2023 at 1:45 PM, Pnwpingi210 said:

Thanks for this.  How do the pxg and jpx tour line compare on flight?  

agree with the pxgs being soft.  They do tend to launch and spin a bit for me.  Looking for a more boring trajectory.  Every now and then I pull out my mp32’s and play around and the flight they give is perfect, on solid strikes 🙂

Flight is mostly about the head/shaft combo from my experience. I have KBS 130x soft stepped in the PXG and had PX LS 6.5 in the JPX. PXGs are launching higher and spinning more, but that’s exactly what I like. The soft-step actually gave me more carry, which could be a variety of factors based on two fittings a few months apart. If I recall correctly, the decent angle on the Mizunos were lower as well, but not by a ton.

My guess is you’ll probably lean JPX for the flight you’re after. You won’t be disappointed; Mizunos are always at or near the top of the list.