2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Closing out a round

55 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Do you know your dispersion circles for your mid/long irons and driver?

No idea.  I haven’t used decade in at least 6 months.    I don’t see the game that way anyway.  That circle is a day to day variable. and how would you know what it is minus trackman , or physically walking out 20 drives and lasering ?   Kind of funny you ask that . The slump started when I signed up for decade.  Worrying about metric things like that absolutely sucked the fun and artistry  out of the game for me.  Being honest. Not poo pooing on anyone who finds that useful.  I prefer to see the shot needed and hit that shot. 

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Let me back up and say let's not confuse strategy for tactics. Laying up or aiming for the middle of the green is not a strategy. They're things you do to execute a strategy or to bail you out when execution of the strategy fails. 

Ok.  That interests me. What do you mean ?  Can you give me an example of a strategy then. 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

No idea.  I haven’t used decade in at least 6 months.    I don’t see the game that way anyway.  That circle is a day to day variable. and how would you know what it is minus trackman , or physically walking out 20 drives and lasering ?   Kind of funny you ask that . The slump started when I signed up for decade.  Worrying about metric things like that absolutely sucked the fun and artistry  out of the game for me.  Being honest. Not poo pooing on anyone who finds that useful.  I prefer to see the shot needed and hit that shot. 

Nothing wrong with that. I'm the opposite, but that's just how our minds work differently. 

Where do your bogies come from...you have that data, right?

5 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Ok.  That interests me. What do you mean ?  Can you give me an example of a strategy then. 

Par 5. Bunker left. Bunker right. Hazard over the left Bunker. Bunker right goes from rough to middle of fairway...it's basically a cross Bunker and needs 285 carry, 270 gets into it. You carry the ball 265.

Hit driver means your landing zone is going in the cross Bunker or hazard if offline but you can slide driver into a 15 yard gap and have 4i or 5i in. In the cross Bunker means a layup.

3w off the tee leaves a 3w or hybrid into the green. You can get there in 2 every time if you play short of the bunkers.

Playing short of cross Bunker is strategy. 3w is the tactic.

Had a breakthrough weekend this weekend and shot 65-64. Course rating is just 68.2 keep in mind.

I just kept telling myself if you make a bogey its ok, you are playing good enough. Ended up only making 4 bogies for the weekend and a shatload of birdies. Its overwhelming the first time you go low, but once you get more comfortable with it, it just comes naturally.

In other words, you can't worry about screwing up. Just have to stay positive and in the moment.

16 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Nothing wrong with that. I'm the opposite, but that's just how our minds work differently. 

Where do your bogies come from...you have that data, right?

Thanks for not playing the old “ gotcha “ game.  The stats police would have attacked right there. 😂.  

this is current as of about April when I stopped entering rounds.  The slump got so bad I just can’t take the constant “ you suck “ the stats give.  

to me it’s easy to see I lose shots driving and putting.  This is set to pga tour “ level “ on decade.  

driving is mostly aggression coupled with a old tight home course.  I can hit 3 wood about as accurately as a 4iron.  I just tend to try to push.  And my home course is very tight. I’d score better if I never carried a driver.  But there’s always the current convention whispering in my ear to get it up there as far as possible.  

IMG_9734.png

IMG_9735.png

IMG_9732.png

IMG_9733.png

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Thanks for not playing the old “ gotcha “ game.  The stats police would have attacked right there. 😂.  

this is current as of about April when I stopped entering rounds.  The slump got so bad I just can’t take the constant “ you suck “ the stats give.  

to me it’s easy to see I lose shots driving and putting.  This is set to pga tour “ level “ on decade.  

driving is mostly aggression coupled with a old tight home course.  I can hit 3 wood about as accurately as a 4iron.  I just tend to try to push.  And my home course is very tight. I’d score better if I never carried a driver.  But there’s always the current convention whispering in my ear to get it up there as far as possible.  

IMG_9734.png

IMG_9735.png

IMG_9732.png

IMG_9733.png

Yeah, driver needs work. 30% fwys hit with driver is no bueno. You don't have a consistent miss with driver either...Basically 20% both left and right. 

But you're -2 sg approach. Is that mostly from missed fairways and having to be creative to hit a green? 

8 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

IMG_9734.png

IMG_9735.png

IMG_9732.png

IMG_9733.png

What I see is either you need to aim for middle of the green more when you're in the rough or you need to force yourself to hit driver less. 

Your save % is just over 50%...not a good enough conversion rate to lean on it off the tee...

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

Yeah, driver needs work. 30% fwys hit with driver is no bueno. You don't have a consistent miss with driver either...Basically 20% both left and right. 

But you're -2 sg approach. Is that mostly from missed fairways and having to be creative to hit a green? 

It is.  I still manage a high percentage of greens hit.  And after a round lots of times it feels like I hit 16-17 greens , but you have to recall that several are 3rd shots after punch outs.  I really wish I had screen shots of pre slump.  I guess I can probably figure out how to go back and parse those numbers out. I still have a paid decade membership. I’m just not using it.  ( why ?  I don’t know ). 

funny part about driver is.  If you bet me I couldn’t hit 100 % fairways. I probably could come close.  At least I’d hit way more. I’m stuck in this habit of trying to nuke them all. The two way miss you see comes from trying to draw it. I’ll push as many as I pull.  I can very very easily play a fade and just bunt it out there with my eyes closed. ( according to track man there’s about 8 mph between my full swing and my bunt ). But that calls into question the utility of carrying a 3 wood at all. I may hit the 3 wood longer if it’s dry out.  This is how much garbage is in my head. The more I studied it. The more swirls around. 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

What I see is either you need to aim for middle of the green more when you're in the rough or you need to force yourself to hit driver less. 

Your save % is just over 50%...not a good enough conversion rate to lean on it off the tee...

Went back and looked just now. Total GIR during this slump is dead on 60 %.  And I count it accurately, so plenty of fringe putts on there that aren’t counted as GIR.  If I get off the tee I get alot of good looks at birdie.  If I were even strokes gained putting on those days I’d break par every round.     When I played my best I hit a low spinny cut with driver.  It went nowhere.  Probably 40 yards less than my best now.  Changing my driving approach to kill spin and play a more square setup was probably the fork in the road that led to here.  

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

Went back and looked just now. Total GIR during this slump is dead on 60 %.  And I count it accurately, so plenty of fringe putts on there that aren’t counted as GIR.  If I get off the tee I get alot of good looks at birdie.  If I were even strokes gained putting on those days I’d break par every round.     When I played my best I hit a low spinny cut with driver.  It went nowhere.  Probably 40 yards less than my best now.  Changing my driving approach to kill spin and play a more square setup was probably the fork in the road that led to here.  

Maybe change the driver setup...hit the cut with lower spin...?

6 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Maybe change the driver setup...hit the cut with lower spin...?

Yep. I have a combo now that will do that. That’s a very hard combo to find.  I spin the crap out of the ball with a fade. That’s probably the way forward.  At least you know that high right is the only miss.  

Edited by bladehunter

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. I have a combo now that will do that. That’s a very hard combo to find.  I spin the crap out of the ball with a fade. That’s probably the way forward.  At least you know that high right is the only miss.  

14 fairways per round. 20% miss left...that's 3 drives that miss left and 3 that miss right. 

Potential is there to eliminate 1 side and then dial in that right side miss. Probably hit 4 more fairways per round.