Ping Eye 2 Becu Iron

I've taken my 2 iron from the BeCu Iron set to the range and course. I cannot get it to elevate more than a foot off the ground.

How Jack got elevation (as well as anyone else) is a mystery. 

Odd question. Has anyone taken their 2 iron and chopped the shaft down to putter length and used it as a chipper?

The thought came to mind today after hitting a worm burner with it. 

Back in my younger days before hybrids were available I would use my Eye2 BeCu 2-iron as a driving iron off the tee, nice low stinger type shot. Doubt there are many PGA Tour players that use a 2-iron off the fairway nowadays. Not sure how much use it would be as a chipper, generally you'd want more loft than that except in special circumstances, would have to figure out what other club it would replace.

ok...hopefully I don't ruffle your feathers too much - so, is it just the 2 iron that doesn't have the height or length you expect? What about the rest of your clubs, do they "react" as you expect? Is the 2 iron part of a matched set or is it an add-on (ie. do swing weights etc match the rest of your set)? If it's only the 2 iron, is it a "worm burneer" off the tee (if used w/tee or not?) vs fairway?

Chippers have been around for over a half century, before that I believe they were called "Cleeks", which have been around for over a century...I know I've got a few in storage cuz I just thought they were an oddity. They're easy enough to find.

Rather than destroy a perfectly good club but cutting it down, why not ask a Pro to evaluate your grip, stance, adress & swing? 

Edited by bcstones

6 minutes ago, bcstones said:

ok...hopefully I don't ruffle your feathers too much - so, is it just the 2 iron that doesn't have the height or length you expect? What about the rest of your clubs, do they "react" as you expect? Is the 2 iron part of a matched set or is it an add-on (ie. do swing weights etc match the rest of your set)? If it's only the 2 iron, is it a "worm burneer" off the tee (if used w/tee or not?) vs fairway?

Chippers have been around for over a half century, before that I believe they were called "Cleeks", which have been around for over a century...I know I've got a few in storage cuz I just thought they were an oddity. They're easy enough to find.

Rather than destroy a perfectly good club but cutting it down, why not ask a Pro to evaluate your grip, stance, address & swing? 

No feathers ruffled. The other irons perform as they should (even though I don't always) but I've never been able to hit a 2 iron. The results are typically the same. Low flight, short air time and any remaining distance gained on the ground. I get the same results with hybrids and prefer fairway woods for my long distance second shots.

The flatter loft of the 2 iron might come in handy around the green when swung more like a putter than an iron. Just curious if the thought crossed anyone else's mind. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coppertop1880 said:

No feathers ruffled. The other irons perform as they should (even though I don't always) but I've never been able to hit a 2 iron. The results are typically the same. Low flight, short air time and any remaining distance gained on the ground. I get the same results with hybrids and prefer fairway woods for my long distance second shots.

The flatter loft of the 2 iron might come in handy around the green when swung more like a putter than an iron. Just curious if the thought crossed anyone else's mind. 

I'm still wondering if your 2 iron is part of your matched set...Ping, I think, can tell you what year that 2 iron was made, the loft, lie, and the swing weight (at least I think they can). If the specs for your 2 iron don't match what your matched set, then tweek it to match. If the specs do match - you have a choice, either have your 2 iron performance analyized by an expert or just forget the 2 iron & use your hybrid (keep in mind, this section is "Classic" & I'm not sure hybrids meet that classification (tho, I kind sorta think Spalding came out w/something in their Executive line that looked like a full set of hybrids even tho they called them something different)

4 hours ago, AzRoger said:

Back in my younger days before hybrids were available I would use my Eye2 BeCu 2-iron as a driving iron off the tee, nice low stinger type shot. Doubt there are many PGA Tour players that use a 2-iron off the fairway nowadays. Not sure how much use it would be as a chipper, generally you'd want more loft than that except in special circumstances, would have to figure out what other club it would replace.

Watch Rory McIlroy's approach to the 72'nd in last week's Scottish Open to see a 2 iron fairway stinger - out of a divot no less! One of the finest shots I have ever seen! Holed the putt to edge out Bob McIntyre (who hit an equally good 3 wood approach) and win.

I cut down the 2 iron from my first ramshackle assortment of clubs to keep and use as a run up club. It was a 1933 Wilson Oggmented iron so probably more loft than modern 2 irons but still effectively a lofted putter. Ideal for Scottish links golf where keeping it low is key.

This type of club (incorrectly) became known as a Jigger rather than Chipper. In original terminolgy a Jigger is more correctly a long distance approach club.

That cut down 2 iron saw me through many of my recurring short game meltdowns! Great little club!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bcstones said:

I'm still wondering if your 2 iron is part of your matched set...Ping, I think, can tell you what year that 2 iron was made, the loft, lie, and the swing weight (at least I think they can). If the specs for your 2 iron don't match what your matched set, then tweek it to match. If the specs do match - you have a choice, either have your 2 iron performance analyized by an expert or just forget the 2 iron & use your hybrid (keep in mind, this section is "Classic" & I'm not sure hybrids meet that classification (tho, I kind sorta think Spalding came out w/something in their Executive line that looked like a full set of hybrids even tho they called them something different)

It is part of the set. I had Ping check the serial numbers and it was manufactured in 1988 as a 2-SW set. I'm missing the sand wedge, but have everything else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coppertop1880 said:

It is part of the set. I had Ping check the serial numbers and it was manufactured in 1988 as a 2-SW set. I'm missing the sand wedge, but have everything else.

Cool...so did Ping have any info on the specs for the 2 iron, ie. loft, lie, or swing weight? 
Do you have the 1 iron &/or Lob Wedge?

10 hours ago, golfunderpar18 said:

Pick up a vintage ping Chipo if you really need one but I wouldn’t mess with the 2 iron shaft.  

I always loved long irons.  When I was a strong junior and college player my eye 2 one iron was my go to a lot off the tee.  Also had a 2 but typically gamed 1, 3-lob eye 2’s.

I've got the newer Chipr from Ping, which I like, but after attempting to use the 2 iron it was just a thought that came to mind while playing a round.

I'll keep the 2 iron as is, put a new grip on it and work on getting a little more elevation out of it during my range time.

Thanks for the information and thoughts.

17 hours ago, bcstones said:

Cool...so did Ping have any info on the specs for the 2 iron, ie. loft, lie, or swing weight? 
Do you have the 1 iron &/or Lob Wedge?

This is what Ping sent me. The set still had the ZZ-Lite shafts which were swapped out for regular flex shafts. 

Kinda wish the set still had the SW but can find one later on.

I've had two range trips with the clubs and two rounds under my belt. I like the feel and slightly higher ball flight.

I hit my Ping Zing 2 irons a little better but they don't have the same feel. My modern set of irons (Taylormade Stealth) comes in a close third.

It's been fun revisiting the older clubs. When they were in production, I couldn't come close to affording them. I've been fortunate to have found good sets of the vintage irons to enjoy.

I like the Stealth irons, but there's something about the older Pings that is hard to resist.

blob.png

Edited by Coppertop1880
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2023 at 8:09 PM, Coppertop1880 said:

I've taken my 2 iron from the BeCu Iron set to the range and course. I cannot get it to elevate more than a foot off the ground.

How Jack got elevation (as well as anyone else) is a mystery. 

Odd question. Has anyone taken their 2 iron and chopped the shaft down to putter length and used it as a chipper?

The thought came to mind today after hitting a worm burner with it. 

Don't forget, the balls had much more spin in Jack's day, which would help getting them airborne.

Edited by dokex

58 minutes ago, dokex said:

Don't forget, the balls had much more spin in Jack's day, which would help getting them airborne.

It's both the ball & the club....Just spent the last 15 to 20 minutes on @Jiggered 's YouTube channel...there is an excellent video where he show how the demand for distance over the decades has caused club manufactures to change the loft. (gotta say here, I really don't comprehend the idea that a club w/less loft is considered "strong", while similar club w/more loft is "weak"...just can't seem to wrap my head around it - so far). Anyway, Jiggered showed the significant changes of loft over a few decades comparing similar clubs....maybe he or someone else might take pity on me, & mention just which of the video's it is. 

20 minutes ago, bcstones said:

It's both the ball & the club....Just spent the last 15 to 20 minutes on @Jiggered 's YouTube channel...there is an excellent video where he show how the demand for distance over the decades has caused club manufactures to change the loft. (gotta say here, I really don't comprehend the idea that a club w/less loft is considered "strong", while similar club w/more loft is "weak"...just can't seem to wrap my head around it - so far). Anyway, Jiggered showed the significant changes of loft over a few decades comparing similar clubs....maybe he or someone else might take pity on me, & mention just which of the video's it is. 

It's not the club in this case; he is using an old BeCu 2 iron.

14 hours ago, dokex said:

It's not the club in this case; he is using an old BeCu 2 iron.

I'm not sure what you mean by "old" since this is a forum on Classic/Vintage clubs.

The OP said he wasn't getting any height of that club, the rest of the set was fine. Until the OP checks the loft & lie of his 2 iron with the Ping loft & lie specs, it's not clear if the club is "out of wack". Lets say they don't match, have the iron tweaked to match Ping specs (wouldn't even hurt to have his favorite iron along & check swing weight of both clubs). Then go out & see if the problem still exists, with the tweaked club or if it matched...if it does, then perhaps a session w/a Pro who can video & they both can figure out the "why"....

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the club.

I've never been able to hit a 2 iron and was just thinking of an alternate use for the club.

Can't hit driving irons, 2 irons or hybrids for some reason, guaranteed to have low flying, short distance results. Fairway woods on the other hand, I can hit with good results. 

Thought the 2 Iron may make for a decent chipper and was curious if anyone had tried such.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:36 PM, bcstones said:

As I understand it a strong loft is one that hits the ball a long way and a weak loft hits the ball a short way, so increasing the loft angle, weakens the club.  (I'm not saying that this is necessarily correct though as I could have had this wrong for years!)

Re the video, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is a short:

• Thanks 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

On 7/23/2023 at 5:36 PM, bcstones said:

(gotta say here, I really don't comprehend the idea that a club w/less loft is considered "strong", while similar club w/more loft is "weak"...just can't seem to wrap my head around it - so far)

Think of it in distance terms.  it will make more sense that way.

Less loft results in (theoretically) more distance, aka stronger.  <shrug>

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 7/25/2023 at 4:16 PM, NRJyzr said:

Think of it in distance terms.  it will make more sense that way.

Less loft results in (theoretically) more distance, aka stronger.  <shrug>

Thanks, and also @Jiggered Thanks....I first was instructed some 64-65 years ago, it was "Don't force it, just swing, let the clubhead do the work" & earlier than that w/my Dad, same thing. It was Palmer who led the Charge for distance, smack the ball w/every fiber of your body...and it continues today, as golf companies, ball makers, pro's , and those who emulate them pay homage to Bertie, the God of the Long Ball. It wasn't until I helped Odel w/his shop that I came across the Hogan clubs - Bounce Sole Plus 1, IPT w/the + on the sole, Slazenger/Hogan Bounce 1+...that I heard the terms 'weak' & 'strong'. I never got it until you & Jiggered used simple english 😂 

However, I think I'll continue to think of adjusting the loft to increase distance or lessen it (& when I hear 'stronger', 'weaker'...I'll just translate it to me 🙃🤣 ).

So to the OP, I'd say, find out the loft of the club now, and decrease it to get the height you desire. 😉

On 7/25/2023 at 5:02 AM, Jiggered said:

As I understand it a strong loft is one that hits the ball a long way and a weak loft hits the ball a short way, so increasing the loft angle, weakens the club.  (I'm not saying that this is necessarily correct though as I could have had this wrong for years!)

Re the video, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is a short:

Yeah, I thought so also...however, I seem to remember a couple of screens but I'm just not sure exactly which video. So, I guess I'll do a "Classic Golf Club" binge weekend to see if I can find it...FUN! 😂

Edited by bcstones

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

Yeah, I thought so also...however, I seem to remember a couple of screens but I'm just not sure exactly which video. So, I guess I'll do a "Classic Golf Club" binge weekend to see if I can find it...FUN! 😂

Maybe you were thinking of this table, which I originally copied from WRX and have reposted many times.

image.png.d2af2b088242abc2af7f3a1b312584c2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

1 hour ago, Jiggered said:

Maybe you were thinking of this table, which I originally copied from WRX and have reposted many times.

image.png.d2af2b088242abc2af7f3a1b312584c2.png

Thanks...I think so....perfect. 

Oh, already started the "binge" 😂

btw....the referene to "Bertie, the God of the Long Ball" is from the book, "The Gods of Golf" (also the Goddess' of Golf). Absolute fun read...

Edited by bcstones