Mevo+ outdoor wedge spin inaccurate

Jfkervan

Hi,

I have recently entered a back and forth with flight scope on the accuracy of their mevo+ spin numbers observed with wedges outdoors. The company is justifying the numbers by claiming they’re are more accurate than trackman…

A large range of wedge -if give the irons the benefit of the doubt-  measurements seem off by 4000-8000 rpm. 56 comes in 5000, 60 at 1500rnp. On mat at an outdoor range. My spinloft on the 60 was 78 degrees, aoa -4 (this hitting down, ball first) and club speed 72 mph for carry of 63. I should have been in the 9000+ realm as measured by other devices in the past.

flightsvood answer is: nope, our Sw is right, this seems accurate. Trackman doesnt mesdure spin better than mevo+

I have had the device for 2 weeks now, and have been really disappointed by the spin accuracy challenge. Old mevo and sc300i were more consistent (above wedges).

I will test with and without stickers but stickers shouldn’t be required outdoors

Have you seen the same? Defective device?

Thoughts on the flightscope response? 

thx!

Edited by Jfkervan

• Jfkervan changed the title to Mevo+ outdoor wedge spin inaccurate

My useless $0.02.

Indoors the Mevo plus, is VERY Accurate. I have used both stickers and RCT balls. And I have a data/distance table which is EXTREMELY reliable based on the data I have collected over time

Secondly, indoors I have a very small setup,  16ft total to be exact, meaning 8ft ball to screen and 7ft ball to Mevo. (1ft screen to wall gap)

Now Outdoors is tricky, but should be solid,  I have tested the Mevo+ vs GC3 vs Laser,  with Real balls vs Range balls.  Its consistency is verified, Based on DISTANCE.  the spin outdoors though is suspect, sometimes as much as half,  But the distance is undeniable. 

As it tracks further flight the spin readings start to get more accurate 100y and further, but again the short tracking is questionable on SPIN specifically. But distance, its still spot on.

1) Real balls vs Range Balls,  With your Data set using just 1 real ball vs 1 range ball. It wont do it in my opinion as I think it has some type of algorithm to average shots, I have had 1 Kirkland ball in the mix of my RCT's and while it gives me an italicized number its averages close to the RCT balls.  I think the system has figured how to average the data set to be within the shots groups. (This has happened often as my kids mix the balls up in my sim all the time). Of course a bad shot, shows a bad shot, Skulled/thinned shot, vs a random stupid high spin shot 12,000rpms, which I just ignore.

2) Mevo Plus setting,  Making sure its set up correctly.

3) Wedge work, is best done indoor with real game balls if possible or an area where you can get your "gamers" back, and really work them. On a public range for wedge work sucks as you cant really run back and forth to get them.

4) Expectation of RPMS. people don't realize how little wedge spin they actually get. More so add in range balls and of course the distances will be off (generically speaking, not you) 

But here is a my data set based on your info you provided, very similar so it reads correctly? 

image.png.3e16eb5bba591bb9ac5112f2c34d8fd3.png
image.png.aa02bb9cfcdc0b5d04e431987ffe52b7.png

60* hitting 75y shots,
10,000rpm averages. (Lots of spin)

about 72mph swing speed

about 70mph ball speed.

it reads just fine indoors and and to assume it reads worst out doors doesn't make sense as it has more time to appropriately track the ball.

Anyways rambling aside,  

1) Range Balls wont do it

2) If you are using range balls, dont cont on the spin to be accurate, but check your distance, these should be pretty darn good. 

3) Find a place where you can pace of yardage and use your games best way to do it.

Other than that....My experience has been excellent with my Mevo+ and again that's been indoors and outdoors.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

6 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

My useless $0.02.

Indoors the Mevo plus, is VERY Accurate. I have used both stickers and RCT balls. And I have a data/distance table which is EXTREMELY reliable based on the data I have collected over time

Secondly, indoors I have a very small setup,  16ft total to be exact, meaning 8ft ball to screen and 7ft ball to Mevo. (1ft screen to wall gap)

Now Outdoors is tricky, but should be solid,  I have tested the Mevo+ vs GC3 vs Laser,  with Real balls vs Range balls.  Its consistency is verified, Based on DISTANCE.  the spin outdoors though is suspect, sometimes as much as half,  But the distance is undeniable. 

As it tracks further flight the spin readings start to get more accurate 100y and further, but again the short tracking is questionable on SPIN specifically. But distance, its still spot on.

1) Real balls vs Range Balls,  With your Data set using just 1 real ball vs 1 range ball. It wont do it in my opinion as I think it has some type of algorithm to average shots, I have had 1 Kirkland ball in the mix of my RCT's and while it gives me an italicized number its averages close to the RCT balls.  I think the system has figured how to average the data set to be within the shots groups. (This has happened often as my kids mix the balls up in my sim all the time). Of course a bad shot, shows a bad shot, Skulled/thinned shot, vs a random stupid high spin shot 12,000rpms, which I just ignore.

2) Mevo Plus setting,  Making sure its set up correctly.

3) Wedge work, is best done indoor with real game balls if possible or an area where you can get your "gamers" back, and really work them. On a public range for wedge work sucks as you cant really run back and forth to get them.

4) Expectation of RPMS. people don't realize how little wedge spin they actually get. More so add in range balls and of course the distances will be off (generically speaking, not you) 

But here is a my data set based on your info you provided, very similar so it reads correctly? 

image.png.3e16eb5bba591bb9ac5112f2c34d8fd3.png
image.png.aa02bb9cfcdc0b5d04e431987ffe52b7.png

60* hitting 75y shots,
10,000rpm averages. (Lots of spin)

about 72mph swing speed

about 70mph ball speed.

it reads just fine indoors and and to assume it reads worst out doors doesn't make sense as it has more time to appropriately track the ball.

Anyways rambling aside,  

1) Range Balls wont do it

2) If you are using range balls, dont cont on the spin to be accurate, but check your distance, these should be pretty darn good. 

3) Find a place where you can pace of yardage and use your games best way to do it.

Other than that....My experience has been excellent with my Mevo+ and again that's been indoors and outdoors.

I just got a mevo +

ky setup will be outdoors hitting into a net using RCT balls. I’m assuming I’d set it on indoor since it’s a net. 

any experience with this? How was the accuracy? Will be trying it this weekend for the first time.  

15 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

I just got a mevo +

ky setup will be outdoors hitting into a net using RCT balls. I’m assuming I’d set it on indoor since it’s a net. 

any experience with this? How was the accuracy? Will be trying it this weekend for the first time.  

Depends on the distance to net, But likely yes your setting is "Indoor"/ or "short indoor", as you will not be "tracking full flight.  Within the Indoor setting you will set the distance from net/screen to ball,  Ball to Mevo and height if there is a discrepancy of Height. ( Ball and Mevo are on slightly different elevations of one another)

Make sure to setup the distances as accurate as possible. That will will help the accuracy of the unit. 

• Thanks 1

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

indoor with the MEVO+ the baseline is: the more ball flight it can track, the more exact the data will be. 8feet to is net is VERY short. I have 10feet and this is still short.

since my use of RCT balls, the spin data and the carry data became better. But I have the feeling the high spinning wedge shots are not as exact, as the mid irons. Most important, give the device (via App) the exact data of the position. Distance and horizontal lines.

Radar devices have all problems with technical devices next to the device indoors and reflective material in the radar path. this is no MEVO problem, this is a radar problem.

12 hours ago, Streuner said:

indoor with the MEVO+ the baseline is: the more ball flight it can track, the more exact the data will be. 8feet to is net is VERY short. I have 10feet and this is still short.

since my use of RCT balls, the spin data and the carry data became better. But I have the feeling the high spinning wedge shots are not as exact, as the mid irons. Most important, give the device (via App) the exact data of the position. Distance and horizontal lines.

Radar devices have all problems with technical devices next to the device indoors and reflective material in the radar path. this is no MEVO problem, this is a radar problem.

I just tried mine outside for the first time on grass. It was TERRIBLE!

im hoping I didn’t have it set up or it was the Sun. But it tracked maybe 10 shots and 15 club head speed out of like 100 swings

2 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

I just tried mine outside for the first time on grass. It was TERRIBLE!

im hoping I didn’t have it set up or it was the Sun. But it tracked maybe 10 shots and 15 club head speed out of like 100 swings

This is strange. With correct setup my MEVO + has maybe 1 out of 100 no reads and maybe 5 out of 100 complete miss reads. I have had a Ernest Sports ES tour before, even this one was not that bad. 
check setup, check the correct angles and distance from device to hitting area. Check differences in the height of the hitting area and the device. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Streuner said:

This is strange. With correct setup my MEVO + has maybe 1 out of 100 no reads and maybe 5 out of 100 complete miss reads. I have had a Ernest Sports ES tour before, even this one was not that bad. 
check setup, check the correct angles and distance from device to hitting area. Check differences in the height of the hitting area and the device. 

Thanks. I watched a video and the guy said if it’s super sunny with a glare it might struggle to track the ball. 

hoping that was the issue

RADAR units don't care about sunlight. It is when something is in front of the tracker that can interfere with and/or reflect the RADAR pulse. But Sunlight is irrelevant.

• Like 2

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

• 2 weeks later...

This is most likely a setup issue.

Mevo+ should provide very reliable data comparable to Trackman and GC3/Quad. In fact during testing the wedge spin numbers are even more reliable than driver spin numbers indoor and outdoor. 

Please verify your setup (take a picture and post).

If the setup is good then it has to be a faulty unit. 

Unless you have a wonky unit ( I had a very early unit, has since been replaced) outdoors with good balls shows good numbers for the gapping I have done with my +. I make sure its level, clean my clubs. This also shows how strike is king and you can vary spin a lot in wedge shots because of you...not the reading. 

Slide a ball up the face of a 60 and don't expect 10K RPM for example....