2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Apple Watch Ultra vs Garmin Approach S70

weems

I currently have an Apple Watch Ultra that I very rarely wear, its kind of a pain to charge it constantly, and I have never used it for Golf.  I have always been a range finder useful, but sometimes I think it would be nice to just take a quick glance at a watch instead of pulling out the finder, especially into a blind hole.

Does anyone have experience with these?  Are the Apple Watch apps actually useful and/or better than a strictly golf watch like the S70?  If so, what apps do you use, and do they use the built in GPS of the watch or do I have to have my phone on me?

I have the Apple Series 8 watch and use the TaylorMade app, I don't care about stats, just want GPS distances and a scorecard feature so the free version works good for me. I also use a rangefinder for most approach shots but the GPS feature is helpful for layups or longer approach shots. The battery in the Apple watch does suck but could easily get through 2 rounds in a day. You can start a round directly from the watch but it does have to be close enough to the phone to communicate with it initially, once the round starts you're good to go, I keep my phone in my golf bag during a round.

Edited by AzRoger

I actually own both. Apple Watch Ultra is a fantastic watch and there are tons of great apps you can pair. Now that doesn’t come with drawback. They are easy to use but they all come a bit buggy at times. No issues with yardages and the screen provides an ample brightness for sunny days. 

The GARMIN S70 is fantastic. Battery life is great and the screen is MADE for the sunlight. It absolutely is a dedicated gold watch so if that’s what you’re looking for, its ease of use and course information is great. Much more detailed than any Apple Watch app.

If you can afford the luxury, I recommend the GARMIN. The Apple Watch will absolutely suffice but I would consider that you’re mostly using it for the green yardages and not mapping out the course and hazards. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm facing the same decision as I type this. I had already ordered an Ultra 2 when I decided to pick up an S70 on Amazon (free Prime returns.) Ultra 2 has a 2 week return window also.

The S70 came in Saturday. I charged it Saturday night and wore it to bed for sleep tracking. I played 18 holes Sunday, and 18 holes Thursday. It hasn't left my wrist and it's now Friday, and the battery is still at 41%, which is absolutely amazing compared to my old Series 6 that would die before bedtime on days that I golfed.

That said, I don't think I can justify both, and I get enough use out of all of the Apple Watch features that the S70 doesn't have to choose the Apple over the Garmin. I have cell service on my watch and live on a lake, if I hop on someone else' boat I don't bother to bring a phone with me and I still can reply to text messages and answer phone calls. I can stream music while out on runs, I can program reminders in with my voice, and more than anything, I don't think that the golf features alone are enough to justify the $699 S70 when I have an Apple Watch.

Apple Watch Ultra is a must for Arccos users who want a watch. Never could get through a round before. Today, it’s been on my wrist since 5am, through a couple of airports (Flighty and JetBlue apps), 18 holes tracked with Arccos and I keep the Tag Golf app on my wrist since it allows you to scroll the hole and get distances. I haven’t found a better Watch golf gps that maps the hole. 

For non Arccos use, I tried the S70 and returned it. I didn’t like the delay in the screen and I didn’t love the interface. Great screen and good information - I’ll try the next version if they can get a screen that doesn’t have a delay in drawing, and maybe preferable user interface. Write about it on one of the s70 threads. 

I’m in the walled garden already, and the non golf features are fully baked in and much more versatile on the Ultra (for me). I do keep a rangefinder in my bag for the approach shots, and I do keep my phone on my cart available if I want to look at it running Arccos (background), GolfLogix (greens only), and 18Birdies (I like this map the best). But mostly I rely on the Watch and rangefinder. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.