2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Zx5 mk II sand wedge?

1Ante

Happy user of the Zx5 mk II 5-PW irons here. My scoring potential has increased substantially with this iron set, but also made it clear to me that I ruin a lot (most) of that potential close to the green. I suck with wedges, really. Realizing that the set AW being 50° is a full swing club I also ordered that one and expecting it any day.

My fitter did a great job with the irons. We also tried some other wedges before I ordered the AW and the sand wedge position is still open. I was looking at the CBX Zipcore but he said I don’t need that help, and suggested the RTX6. I really can’t tell any difference of a mat. The obvious problem here is that my fitter has not seen me around a green. I own a few different wedges of different loft and bounce. They are all random number generators for me.

This makes me consider the Zx5 mk II set sand wedge. I mailed Srixon Europe asking what bounce it has and what “custom order only” means, will let you know when I get a reply.

A set sand wedge makes me think I will easier adopt to it and that any gap issues arising from combining a somewhat hot iron set with a one piece wedge is eliminated. Or at least I will not think it is the clubs fault when I land short.

Is the Zx5 mk II set sand wedge a bad idea and why is no one ever talking about set sand wedges in general, as to me they seem to make sense in terms of keeping things consistent?

edit: sand wedge for anything around the green, not only for bunkers. 

Edited by 1Ante

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would prefer to not go with the set SW. I have the same set 5-AW and just put them in play last week. The AW is clearly not putting as much greenside spin on the ball when I hit shots with it and has a pretty beefy sole, but I use it more as a full swing club and was just comparing it to my old one as a test. I would think the SW would be similar for me. That being said, it completely depends on your style of play. Even though most players wouldn't, it could be the best solution for you. I would consult with the fitter further and see if you can do a short game only mini session if your greenside play seems to be the question you are trying to answer. 

3.9 HCP and falling (hopefully)

PIng G430 10.5 Ventus Black TR 6S

Ping G430 3w Ventus Blue TR 7S

Ping G430 7w Ventus Blue TR 7S

Titleist 510 utility 4 iron HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist T150 5-PW, PX LZ 6.0

Vokey 48F, 54D, 58T
Scotty Cameron Phantom '24 7

Ball ProV1x

Thx for good input.

The potential less spin is definitely something to consider. A beefy sole on the other hand might just be what I need visually to feel safe taking critical shots close to the green. Will see how I like the AW regarding that.

Still have no feedback from Srixon on the SW bounce. The wedges I “play” with for now have bounce somewhere 8-10, I my fitter said I should go for 12. The shop were I got fitted don’t have any outside test area, but they are great and will lend clubs over a day. Obviously the set SW is not an option for that. I will wait for the AW and bring along a CBX and a RTX and try them on grass, preferably playing so there is some real “pressure”…

(Still strange in my mind that big brands don't include the option for really good wedges in the set line. It leaves the door open to buy wedges of a separate brand, which actually seems to be the normal case = lost business. For no reason since all brands offer good wedges but in separate lines)

2 hours ago, 1Ante said:

(Still strange in my mind that big brands don't include the option for really good wedges in the set line. It leaves the door open to buy wedges of a separate brand, which actually seems to be the normal case = lost business. For no reason since all brands offer good wedges but in separate lines)

They still do sometimes, and they always used to sell them all that way here in the UK, good old 3-SW, but many people, especially lower handicaps, would dump their set sand wedges for a ‘fancy’ one - so the set SW died out 🙂

Doing things the modern way means an OEM can offer just one range of wedges of similar design, rather than having to produce multiple ranges of varying design.

When I fitted, we’d encourage golfers to look at their wedges as a separate part of the bag to their irons. A set where the 6 iron works for you won’t necessarily provide you with the best SW, as the technique is so different. The short game is very much a game within a game, so it really pays to take the time to find the ideal tools for the job!

Bounce numbers can vary wildly, some manufacturers measure differently, and grinds can also affect the ‘playing’ bounce, so try to find a club you like rather than a spec. The ZX5 SW might seem good on paper but you might sit it behind a ball and be put off. I’d probably also suggest a Cleveland, they’re the sister brand, made to the same specs, and you should find something in their range. You may find you like them so much that you end up changing your AW too. 

Custom order just means they’ll be sourced/assembled when an order is received, and they maybe don’t have assembled stock in all warehouses. They’re not likely to be that popular when you have Clevelands available as an option. 

Edited by Wayside

9 hours ago, RHenderson said:

I owned and played a set of ZX7's and bought a matching pair of A & S wedges from Japan, the Approach is more common here the Sand Wedge was absolutely fantastic, maybe the best Sand Wedge I've played, best of luck and don't sleep on the Srixon Wedges they are great. 

That sounds great, thanks. Now Im really looking forward to the AW coming in soon, before this season ends! 🙂

8 hours ago, Wayside said:

They still do sometimes, and they always used to sell them all that way here in the UK, good old 3-SW, but many people, especially lower handicaps, would dump their set sand wedges for a ‘fancy’ one - so the set SW died out 🙂

Doing things the modern way means an OEM can offer just one range of wedges of similar design, rather than having to produce multiple ranges of varying design.

When I fitted, we’d encourage golfers to look at their wedges as a separate part of the bag to their irons. A set where the 6 iron works for you won’t necessarily provide you with the best SW, as the technique is so different. The short game is very much a game within a game, so it really pays to take the time to find the ideal tools for the job!

Bounce numbers can vary wildly, some manufacturers measure differently, and grinds can also affect the ‘playing’ bounce, so try to find a club you like rather than a spec. The ZX5 SW might seem good on paper but you might sit it behind a ball and be put off. I’d probably also suggest a Cleveland, they’re the sister brand, made to the same specs, and you should find something in their range. You may find you like them so much that you end up changing your AW too. 

Custom order just means they’ll be sourced/assembled when an order is received, and they maybe don’t have assembled stock in all warehouses. They’re not likely to be that popular when you have Clevelands available as an option. 

Thanks!
For sure Cleveland are the fine alternative wedges to Zrixon for me. It was actually what I was going for until I decided the set missed a full swing club at the bottom.

As you wisely say wedge and iron play are two separate things. I played Cobra Ltdx irons for two years. The mix of wedges I still keep fitted just fine with that set, everything going left, right or not at all like take a lottery ticket and see what you get. With the Zx5 iron set that I got just a month ago things have changed drastically 🙂I’m now able to hit greens from 150m (165y) out, but (still) not from 50m. I really hope the set AW will work and gap well to the PW as I am surprised to find looking for wedges is not that fun. Just too many club options even within a club considering gaping/hot face, bounce, grind etc and when you ad myself around a green to that its no bueno. I see the bunker club maybe being a separate thing but really hope the AW isn’t too bulky, then the set SW is still what I will consider. If it says Zx5 on a club I will at least trust its a good club for me. 

I use a Z785 A wedge with my ZX5/ZX7 blended set. It is one of my favorite clubs. Great for full shots up to about 110-115 but I chip with it a lot when I'm wanting the ball to run out on the greens. 

I think today's specialty sand wedges from Cleveland, Callaway or Vokey are pretty incredible and I doubt a sand wedge made to match a set of irons is going to be as satisfying to use, but everyone is different. 

Thx,
For what it’s worth I just got feedback from Zrixon that the Zx5 mkII SW bounce is 10*. 

Still waiting for the set AW to arrive. Will try it out and decide SW from there. Cleveland wedges are also very nice…

In any case, I just LOVE my Zx5 mk II irons. Stoped for a short range session on the way home today. These irons literally make me swing better. I don’t know how and I have been afraid it would wear of, but it has not. I have had them for well over a month and played perhaps four rounds with them. Game changer 🙂