Ping S57

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a Titleist staff member for 15 years, but after the frustration of trying to supply my customers with AP2's and not being able to get them in a timely fashion started trying other clubs. I hate to admit it, but this iron is a WINNER!!! It has great feel (from a cast club) it is easy to hit either direction and to flight the ball. So that all adds up to win, win, win... Not only will I gladly recommend this club for customers, I will more than likely make the conversion to them for myself... FYI, I have only played Titleist and Mizuno products for over 30 years so it takes a great club for me to even consider making this change.

I have been a Titleist staff member for 15 years, but after the frustration of trying to supply my customers with AP2's and not being able to get them in a timely fashion started trying other clubs. I hate to admit it, but this iron is a WINNER!!! It has great feel (from a cast club) it is easy to hit either direction and to flight the ball. So that all adds up to win, win, win... Not only will I gladly recommend this club for customers, I will more than likely make the conversion to them for myself... FYI, I have only played Titleist and Mizuno products for over 30 years so it takes a great club for me to even consider making this change.

Thanks for your post :good:

With your great and long experience with forged Mizuno and Titleist irons and all the debate that has been going on in here on GolfWRX about forged VS cast irons reagarding feel & softness (which in reality relates 99% to sound from the moment the ball gets into contact with the club head) - how would you rate the feel & sound of the Ping S57 irons compared to the numerous forged irons set from Mizuno and Titleist, you have tried and owned during the last 30 years ?

Thanks for sharing you opinion,

Claus :hi:

I have been competing with S-58's for 11 months after 12 years of playing Mizuno irons (even though I am a staffer for 'another' company. I have had mp-14, 33, 30, 32, 60, 67 and my favorite true blades. Last year tried my first set of cast clubs and my first set of Pings other than at a range. I was very surprised. After getting used to the increased but not offensive offset I was pleasantly surprised. I always enjoyed the exacting feedback of most of my Mizuno sets. The feedback that tells you of a very slight mishit even when the results a perfect. Every other cast or cavity iron I have tried completely lost this feedback. One has to rely on mainly on the visual result of the shot to judge impact. The S-58's have given me all the feedback I like, albeit slightly different, no pure dull thud of a crisply struck shot, but absolutely no clank either. Shot shaping and trajectory control has even improved. Yesterday I was able to hit the S-57's. Same specs as mine so a fair comparison. First the finish, in my opinion, is much better. Same finish as the Tour-W wedges (that I also game). Second, the offset and shape is very, very similar. I would wager that if the finish was the same most would not tell a difference. I did notice that the hosel was a touch longer (only a 1/16 or so). The performance of the club seemed great, same control-workability, and I did feel like they were a little bit more forgiving. My shot patterns were tighter (only one day so take that with a grain of salt). So all in all I was very pleased. Better looking finish. Possibly slightly more forgiving and more accurate (possibly, but definitely not worse), and here is the kicker....

better feel... closer to my old True blades than the 58's.

Not perfect as I would still like less offset but, as this past year was my best on course (3 W's in my mid 40's playing against the kids, that I believe was seriously helped by my irons) I'm having a set of 57's made and can't wait to get them.

By the way the Rapture V2 with the Blueboard 63 x is a rocket.

I have been competing with S-58's for 11 months after 12 years of playing Mizuno irons (even though I am a staffer for 'another' company. I have had mp-14, 33, 30, 32, 60, 67 and my favorite true blades. Last year tried my first set of cast clubs and my first set of Pings other than at a range. I was very surprised. After getting used to the increased but not offensive offset I was pleasantly surprised. I always enjoyed the exacting feedback of most of my Mizuno sets. The feedback that tells you of a very slight mishit even when the results a perfect. Every other cast or cavity iron I have tried completely lost this feedback. One has to rely on mainly on the visual result of the shot to judge impact. The S-58's have given me all the feedback I like, albeit slightly different, no pure dull thud of a crisply struck shot, but absolutely no clank either. Shot shaping and trajectory control has even improved. Yesterday I was able to hit the S-57's. Same specs as mine so a fair comparison. First the finish, in my opinion, is much better. Same finish as the Tour-W wedges (that I also game). Second, the offset and shape is very, very similar. I would wager that if the finish was the same most would not tell a difference. I did notice that the hosel was a touch longer (only a 1/16 or so). The performance of the club seemed great, same control-workability, and I did feel like they were a little bit more forgiving. My shot patterns were tighter (only one day so take that with a grain of salt). So all in all I was very pleased. Better looking finish. Possibly slightly more forgiving and more accurate (possibly, but definitely not worse), and here is the kicker....

better feel... closer to my old True blades than the 58's.

Not perfect as I would still like less offset but, as this past year was my best on course (3 W's in my mid 40's playing against the kids, that I believe was seriously helped by my irons) I'm having a set of 57's made and can't wait to get them.

Thanks for your interesting comment and small review of the S57 irons - nice to hear feedback from a pro level player, who just like the poster above, has have years of experience with forged Mizuno's and now has changed to cast Ping's and like the result pretty much.

I must get myself a set of these Ping S57's. I will probably always have 1 or 2 sets of forged irons (Scratch Custom, Miura, Mizuno, Epon etc.) , but these new casting offers from both Ping and Taylor Made kind of intrigue me.

May I ask what kind of tour level you play on, Sir ?

[quote name='blonday' date='Sep 12 2008, 10:49 AM' post='1252966'

i'm interested in trying this same combo...could you elaborate a little more on this? also, what is your swingspeed? i'm at 109ish, & have always played with stiff shafts...after seeing a reputible clubfitter who recommended i go to X i'm just trying to get a little more confidence before i pull the trigger.

thanks!

plenty of mini tour years with many nationwide/buy.com/nike tour stops and one PGA tour event...

the limited review is because I have had limited time with the 57's, but I liked them... as I am happy with the 58's, it will only be a bonus if the 57's work out better down the road... I will update after a few events with the new clubs...

I'm a 110-114 ss with a quicker tempo... one thing I have experienced withe the Blueboard is that it feels softer than it's flex compared to some others. I played a Grafalloy Blue for some time but could never play an X. In fact the Blue in stiff is quite a stout shaft and I felt like I always had to give it a good rip to get it to load properly. Same with the Prolaunch Red. But with the Mitsubishi products even with an X I can put a less than 100% swing and still feel like the shaft loads properly.

I recommend being fit as best as you can. Find a fitter who will spend some time with you and make sure you are in the right weight, as this will influence how solidly you strike the ball in a stiff or an X. Don't rule out tipping a stiff by an inch or possible more...

Earlier in the post someone asked me to comment on the "feel" factor. I admit for years I have been a proponent of the forged irons, but the "feel" of the S57 is right up there with some of the best blades I have hit through the years, without the harsh feedback that some of my older sets used to have. This is truly a great golf club and although I have not committed to making the change, I am convinced this is one of the better sticks on the market at the present time. I do like the aspect that once the clubs are built that they are less likely to need re-adjusted each year and will maintain their appearance better. :good:

What is so special about the KB Tour Shafts. I am kinda a high ball hitter, is this something i should think about?

In a nut shell, the KB Tours are basically Project X flight and spin with Dynamic Gold feel in them.

Project X is considered high launch low spin shafts. Compared to Dynamic Gold, Project X should launch initially higher than Dynamic Gold and then flatten out at the apex of the flight. However Project X are known to feel very harsh and stiff for stated flex but now KB Tours have emerged to solve that problem.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally received my S57 shafted with X100's and took them out to the range. Wow! I have been bouncing from different iron sets: Adams Pro Forged, Titleist 690mb, Mizuno MP-32 and now the S57's. By far and away, these clubs feel the best. The balance, the trajectory, the feel....best way to describe is to compare it to a car with a perfectly balanced chasis. I know that it could just be the honeymoon period but I am going to live this honeymoon period to the fullest (going to Bandon Dunes on Wednesday!). I came from Project X 6.5 (in my last 2 sets) and I had absolutely forgotten how I love the feel of Dynamic Gold. So much better for me.

Cobra LTDX 9* Ventus Blue 6X
Cobra LTDX LS 16.5* Ventus Black 8X
Cobra Tour 4-PW PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX6 50*/54*/58* PX 6.5
Ping PLD Anser D

Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

How is the leading edge?

Some says it's digging a bit, but I personally think the leading edge is bit more rounded compared to the older models, S59 and S58, to prevent digging in softer conditions. Ping also mentions this as one of the improvements in the new S57 over the S58 and S59.

Love this irons set from Ping, best ever Ping irons, I've ever tried and owned :smilie_ping:

• 3 weeks later...
why don't ping make there players irons forged

With the investment casting technology we have available today, the consistency that forged club had over casted clubs in the older days are non-existent now.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish