2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Launch monitor with iPad only use

Bryco

Does anyone have experience one way or the other using their iPad and iPad app only with the bushnell launch pro/Gc3 (they are the same machine) or the sky track plus?

The reviews I have read of the iPad apps with the gc3/launch pro FSX Pro app are not great (actually awful). I don’t really want to use a gaming computer and am really interested only in range type sessions  and practice - don’t care really about playing courses. 

The sky track+ seems like it might be a good option but have concerns it might not be as accurate. That said, their app and software gets great user friendly reviews. 

any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks 

On 12/19/2023 at 9:23 PM, Bryco said:

The reviews I have read of the iPad apps with the gc3/launch pro FSX Pro app are not great (actually awful).

It's kind of amazing how bad they are.

I just use the display on the GCQuad, typically. The unfortunate thing there is that it doesn't save your sessions.

The SkyTrak+ software is really good on the iPad. The SkyTrak+ itself isn't as good as the GC3 (probably, I haven't used a GC3 myself much). But the software is good.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

If you want you can read my experience with Skytrak+ in the recent thread where someone was looking for Skytrak+ feedback in the simulators forum, there is more info there.  I'm chiming in here because you specifically asked about ipad use, which is what I started with using Skytrak+ and it was not good.   I returned my Skytrak+ and am now using another launch monitor (but not with ipad). 

The issue I had with Skytrak+ and ipad is that I connected my projector directly to the ipad which meant I had to use wifi to connect to Skytrak+.   That was a colossal failure as it would disconnect after about 15-20 shots.   If you can connect the Skytrak+ directly into USB, so if you are not running a projector, and just hitting into a mat then the experience should be much better.     I had other issues explained in the thread I mentioned above so I won't repeat them here. 

If you have a lot of patience for frequent disconnects (where you have to reset the system) and are just using the launch monitor for practice and not sim golf, then it may work out for you.   Many love their Skytrak+ but believe the majority of those directly connect to a PC using the USB and don't rely on the wifi connection functionality.  For me that was one of if not the biggest issue I had with it and had to move on.  

27 minutes ago, txbadger said:

If you want you can read my experience with Skytrak+ in the recent thread where someone was looking for Skytrak+ feedback in the simulators forum, there is more info there.  I'm chiming in here because you specifically asked about ipad use, which is what I started with using Skytrak+ and it was not good.   I returned my Skytrak+ and am now using another launch monitor (but not with ipad). 

The issue I had with Skytrak+ and ipad is that I connected my projector directly to the ipad which meant I had to use wifi to connect to Skytrak+.   That was a colossal failure as it would disconnect after about 15-20 shots.   If you can connect the Skytrak+ directly into USB, so if you are not running a projector, and just hitting into a mat then the experience should be much better.     I had other issues explained in the thread I mentioned above so I won't repeat them here. 

If you have a lot of patience for frequent disconnects (where you have to reset the system) and are just using the launch monitor for practice and not sim golf, then it may work out for you.   Many love their Skytrak+ but believe the majority of those directly connect to a PC using the USB and don't rely on the wifi connection functionality.  For me that was one of if not the biggest issue I had with it and had to move on.

I've used the SkyTrak+ three times. One of those times I had the disconnects like you say, but the other times were hour+ sessions with no disconnections.

If it's a frequent issue I think they may resolve it. Obviously not in time for you, but… I know a lot of SkyTrak users who use the iPad. Assuming the connection is solid, the iPad software is pretty good. Would you agree with that?

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've used the SkyTrak+ three times. One of those times I had the disconnects like you say, but the other times were hour+ sessions with no disconnections.

If it's a frequent issue I think they may resolve it. Obviously not in time for you, but… I know a lot of SkyTrak users who use the iPad. Assuming the connection is solid, the iPad software is pretty good. Would you agree with that?

I somewhat agree.   My wifi connection in the room that I have my simulator is rock solid.  Before I transitioned it into a simulator room we used to stream 4k movies over the same wifi connection with no problem so the issue wasn't the wifi connection.   In fact after the first day having Skytrak+ and experiencing the frequent disconnects, I put a wifi extender 2 feet from where the Skytrak+ was placed to no avail.    

I'm not the only one having this problem with Skytrak+ (amongst missed shots, etc..).  Considering that there is such polarization on this issue I am assuming that there is a QC issue with the units.   Some love them, others can't get rid of them fast enough.   Even though I thought the Skytrak+ software was pretty good, I fell into the latter camp. 

Edited by txbadger
spelling

1 hour ago, Golfcrzy said:

Better than FSX iPad. 

It's crazy how bad that company's iPad/iPhone apps are. I really hope they have a big update coming. Needing to tie it to a PC to get a reasonable look at ball flight or all of the numbers (beyond the ones on the LCD display) is crazy bad in 2023/2024.

20 hours ago, iacas said:

It's crazy how bad that company's iPad/iPhone apps are. I really hope they have a big update coming. Needing to tie it to a PC to get a reasonable look at ball flight or all of the numbers (beyond the ones on the LCD display) is crazy bad in 2023/2024.

All the foresight software leaves something to be desired, but the mobile is the worst. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

You might find the EyeMini Lite to be your cup of tea… the EyeMini software is pretty good on iPad, including showing a slow-mo of impact. My eyeMini is pretty good with just an iPad.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mevo+ or any of the flightscope stuff is fantastic on iPad. In fact they develop all their features on iOS first and then port to PC.

What's in my Ping Pioneer cart bag:

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10k 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50s

3 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 60s 

7 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 70s 

3 & 4 Hybrid: Ping G430 KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 75r

Irons: 5 - PW Mizuno Pro 243 KBS $ Taper 120 shafts

Wedges: Mizuno S23 50 S Grind 54 D grind // Cleveland RTX full-face 2 58*

Putter: LAB DF 2.1 TPT shaft

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

ARCCOS