Midwest-ish / Southeast - late February trip?

My 18 yr old son and I want to play golf on his college winter break which is the last week of February.  The basic plan is to check the weather forecasts and start driving south from Michigan, to where the temperature is at least in the 50's during the day.  We'd play at least 3-4 days and could try to get 36 in on a day or two, assuming we can get some early tee times.  Other than Nashville and Pigeon Forge, I haven't golfed in the middle part of the US.  Can you throw out some suggestions of an area with a handful of mid-level courses in decent proximity that won't break the bank?  I'm thinking $50-$100/round with $125-$175 Hampton type hotel pricing and willing to splurge on something nicer for a round.  (I originally looked at flying to Scottsdale and had sticker shock on the golf pricing at this time of year.)

3 hours ago, MichBadger said:

My 18 yr old son and I want to play golf on his college winter break which is the last week of February.  The basic plan is to check the weather forecasts and start driving south from Michigan, to where the temperature is at least in the 50's during the day.  We'd play at least 3-4 days and could try to get 36 in on a day or two, assuming we can get some early tee times.  Other than Nashville and Pigeon Forge, I haven't golfed in the middle part of the US.  Can you throw out some suggestions of an area with a handful of mid-level courses in decent proximity that won't break the bank?  I'm thinking $50-$100/round with $125-$175 Hampton type hotel pricing and willing to splurge on something nicer for a round.  (I originally looked at flying to Scottsdale and had sticker shock on the golf pricing at this time of year.)

Check out Fairfield Glade, TN https://fairfieldglade.net/golf/. There are 5 courses within the community and they offer stay and play packages. Nearby is another course inside the state park https://tnstateparks.com/golf/course/bear-trace-at-cumberland-mountain. Unsure of conditions and weather this time of the year but it has always been an enjoyable trip in the fall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, srs06d said:

Check out Fairfield Glade, TN https://fairfieldglade.net/golf/. There are 5 courses within the community and they offer stay and play packages. Nearby is another course inside the state park https://tnstateparks.com/golf/course/bear-trace-at-cumberland-mountain. Unsure of conditions and weather this time of the year but it has always been an enjoyable trip in the fall. 

Coincidental you mention this...my company has a facility in the area and my wife and I spent last week there.  While I worked, she checked out the Tellico Village and Rarity Bay communities, looking for a possible relocation since we are now empty nesters.  We did not golf, but were considering that as a trip back to check it out.  

Do you have any idea how the courses compare between the communities in the area?

Unfortunately I've only played the Fairfield courses and don't have any information on the other communities. I've been to Fairfield on golf trips with my dad 10+ times and have never had a bad experience. Courses are always in great shape and the employees have been kind and helpful. From the families we know there and the football flags that are adorned on the houses, the Fairfield area seems to have a large Midwest retirement contingency. The only downside I could see for some is that the winters can still be pretty cold (they do allow golf in blue jeans) and the area is a little sleepy (but you do have Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga nearby). 

Huntsville and Muscle Shoals (other than nashville/mid tn area)

I am sitting in middle TN now and it is currently 64* and sunny.  Looking at the ten day (out to 2/16) the lowest high temp is 45*.

Weather here all depends on whether a front has moved through and which way the wind is blowing.  A few days of southwesterly flow and we will be in the 50's and 60's.  A front pushes through and we get NW wind for two days and it will be highs in the 30's.  Moral of that story, hard to say end of Feb what you will get.  Right now it is beautiful though and course tee sheets are full according to the few I follow on the book of faces.

If you just wanted to hit courses as you came down I-65 you could find courses in Louisville, just south of Louisville (Heritage Hill), north of Bowling Green (Park Mammoth), Bowling Green (Crosswinds) and then get down into TN.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2024 at 1:26 PM, smashdn said:

Huntsville and Muscle Shoals (other than nashville/mid tn area)

I am sitting in middle TN now and it is currently 64* and sunny.  Looking at the ten day (out to 2/16) the lowest high temp is 45*.

What are you recommendations for Nashville /mid TN area?  I've only played the Hermitage a couple of times in a scramble?

19 hours ago, MichBadger said:

What are you recommendations for Nashville /mid TN area?  I've only played the Hermitage a couple of times in a scramble?

I don't have any private contacts down there so all public and a bunch of this depends upon how far off 65 you want to venture.  Also, most of my experience is on the north side of nashville.

• Legacy in Springfield
  • Twelve Stone Crossings Goodlettsville
  • Greystone in Dickson
  • Long Hollow in Gallatin
  • Thanks 1