2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MacGregor Persimmons - spec details

I have recently obtained a little collection of MacGregor persimmon woods:

• MacGregor Muirfield - 1, 3 & 5
  • MacGregor 693T – 1, 3 & 5
  • MacGregor T85 eyeomotic – 3 wood

Before I go down the restoration route I would like to obtain some details on the original specs for the clubs, ideally I would like to know the year of manufacture, shaft & grip options and lofts.

Apologies - now reposted in the persimmon classic club forum!

Edited by SEB73
posted in incorrect forum

Best bet is go to the classic clubs forums here. A lot of knowledge there and you might get some info 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

5 hours ago, SEB73 said:

Before I go down the restoration route I would like to obtain some details on the original specs for the clubs, ideally I would like to know the year of manufacture, shaft & grip options and lofts.

Pictures would be helpful. The Muirfields are definitely '80's but the others could be '50's original or '80's reissue. Not sure the specs would necessarily be the same - certainly not for shafts and grips but possibly also for lofts, bulge and roll etc. Plenty on here who can help once we ID the patients.

36 minutes ago, SEB73 said:

Images attached of the sole plates, I can add more images if needed.

Appreciate any info on these!

1710266021166blob.jpg

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures. All 1980's vintage. The T85 should be stiff flex if true to the original MacGregor numbering but i am not sure how faithful these '80's reissues were to the '50's originals. Hopefully others can help with details of loft etc. 

All very playable so enjoy! Once you do there is no going back!

• Like 2

Can’t help you on lofts but I do have the same Muirfield driver along with an 80’s JN Super Eye-Omatic remake (looks like a 945W). Both with regular flex shafts. I like both, I hit the SEOM a little bit higher. Either slightly more loft or could easily be the added lead or brass weight in the back of the club that the Muirfield doesn’t have. Those 5 woods are so fun to play!

On 3/13/2024 at 5:21 AM, SEB73 said:

Not worth restoring.  These are more modern  / recent persimmons.  Very little value and not worth investing $$ to restore

• Like 1

I mostly agree with Golfunderpar. I had a 1,3,5 set of Hogan Speedslots refinished for about $180. Think this is on the cheaper end for the work that was done. Original decals and everything, very handsome clubs now. Factor in price paid initially for clubs and I have $265 dollars into them. Just a guess but I doubt I could sell the set for much more than $180 if I even wanted to sell them. I don’t necessarily look at clubs that way but it’s kinda hard not too if you have many. They are good for another bunch of years anyways. 

Your sets don’t look horrible as long as  faces match the rest of pics. Good players as is and possible candidates for a DIY refinish job. There’s no decals or script other than on the sole so should be on the easier side. I have yet to DIY a set and once I experiment on a club or two I’m gonna do my Muirfield’s and a set of Staffs myself. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, golfunderpar18 said:

Not worth restoring.  These are more modern  / recent persimmons.  Very little value and not worth investing $$ to restore

They are worth refinishing if the OP does the work himself. Since they are 80s, the inserts, sole plates, and shafts don't need to be reset. A refinish just requires stripping the finish staining, and applying polly, plus a little paintfill. All basic tasks that are easy for even a newbie. If I were him, I'd do these himself and enjoy playing them.

• Like 3

Do the 693’s have Dynamic Gold shafts? I’m unsure how late Mac sold them but if late 80’s early 90’s we’re getting right into the proper era for TT DG’s.  Going back to original specs wouldn’t 43.5 inch driver and 11/15/19 degrees be about right. Seems like the custom stuff would have been stamped differently. 

I am in the UK - just recently acquired the woods.

TT dynamic shafts in the woods - Muirfield are regular, 693T and the eye-o-matic are stiff.

Does anyone know the original grips on these?

The Muirfields are very good, except a little damage to the face if the 3-wood.

The eye-o-matic is a little more worn, this will require some more work.

i pick the 693T’s up next week - I couldn’t turn these down at £10 for the set (approx $13 USD)

1 hour ago, AdamMH said:

OP asked for specs, not a judgement on value...

Reread his post. “Before I go down the restoration route I would like to obtain some details on the original specs for the clubs,”

they aren’t worth investing $$$ in restoring.   I didn’t say he’s looking for a judgement on value.  I just noted my opinion on restoring. The OP can take it or not - doesn’t matter to me.

Edited by golfunderpar18

1 hour ago, Stephen8802 said:

They are worth refinishing if the OP does the work himself. Since they are 80s, the inserts, sole plates, and shafts don't need to be reset. A refinish just requires stripping the finish staining, and applying polly, plus a little paintfill. All basic tasks that are easy for even a newbie. If I were him, I'd do these himself and enjoy playing them.

Yes but not paying someone to restore.  I’m personally not one to refinish myself.  Personally I use 3 or 4 refinishers in the US when I get my persimmons refinished.    I’ve done a couple myself but I want them done right so I use a few that I know and trust who do great work locally

Edited by golfunderpar18

1 hour ago, Stephen8802 said:

The t85 sole plate needs reset based on the photo I’m seeing.   Not many pics but you are likely right with the set.  Still needs refinished and I’d let the professional refinisher make an assessment about what needs done.  These would be solid gamers.  The muirfields are good woods 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shallowface said:

The MacGregor catalogs I have from that era don't have any specs.

3 hours ago, golfunderpar18 said:

That’s because these are modern persimmons.  The Kaplan MacGregor catalogs would include vintage MacGregors 

I'm referring to catalogs from the 1980s.  I knew what they were.  I've owned all of them at one time or another.

• Like 3

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Posted (edited)

Thank you for everyone's feedback & input on my original post.

The woods I have obtained are purely for my pleasure, if they can be improved cosmetically great - if not I will still keep hold of them.

My purchases are not intended for financial benefit, i'm intending to play with the woods when the dryer weather finally arrives.

I have an old Mizuno persimmon 5-wood to "practice" cosmetic restoration.  Depending on my patience and the outcome of my "practice run" I will have a go at these woods myself.

Is there a guide on restoration that anyone can recommend for a first-timer?

Edited by SEB73
mis-spelling
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, SEB73 said:

The woods I have obtained are purely for my pleasure, if they can be improved cosmetically great - if not I will still keep hold of them.

My purchases are not intended for financial benefit, i'm intending to play with the woods when the dryer weather finally arrives.

I have an old Mizuno persimmon 5-wood to "practice" cosmetic restoration.  Depending on my patience and the outcome of my "practice run" I will have a go at these woods myself.

I applaud your sentiment of buying for pleasure and to enjoy playing them and not for financial benefit; it ensures instant acceptance amongst the brotherhood here! 

I am pleased the advice you have received so far has been helpful. There is a huge depth of knowledge in this forum and a willingness to share so I am sure your further questions will be answered.

Welcome my friend! Fairways and greens!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SEB73 said:

There is a WhatsApp based group of UK persimmon and blades players who organise casual days amongst themselves and more front line P&B events, around 40 strong . PM me if interested.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SEB73 said:

...Is there a guide on restoration that anyone can recommend for a first-timer?

Watch all the Mike Rees videos on YouTube and that will get you 90% of the way there. The Maltby and Paul refinishing books help as well. I started with the Rees videos, then I read all the past posts in this forum that talk about refinishing, then I started with some disposable clubs from thrift stores, then on to the good stuff. The club head in my picture is one I did. It really isn't hard, just basic wood working skills and some patience. It's helpful to have a friend or two who have done it before to bounce questions off of.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have recently joined the Persimmon & Blade group in the UK - I have kindly been invited to play a fourball early in April with more like minded golfers that appreciate P&B's.

I'm starting to go through the Mike Rees online videos: attached is a driver & 3-wood that has nearly finished restoration by a seasoned professional here in the UK - these are not MacGregors.

The inserts were replaced approx. 22 yrs ago when the woods were refurbished first time round.

Anyone want to have a stab at the make & model of the woods? 🙂  

Restore 2.jpg

Edited by SEB73
mis-spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SEB73 said:

I have recently joined the Persimmon & Blade group in the UK - I have kindly been invited to play a fourball early in April with more like minded golfers that appreciate P&B's.

I'm starting to go through the Mike Rees online videos: attached is a driver & 3-wood that has nearly finished restoration by a seasoned professional here in the UK - these are not MacGregors.

The inserts were replaced approx. 22 yrs ago when the woods were refurbished first time round.

Anyone want to have a stab at the make & model of the woods? 🙂  

Restore 2.jpg

Appreciate the challenge!

Inserts are distinctive but i am a little confused by the 4 and 6 screw pattern variation.

Ram used that insert in 6 screw format.

20201204_200145.jpg.dc8daf20de39b83b97739974928aa7b2.jpg20201204_200048.jpg.2a51850f13f2b3e2b0f2050af42ff23d.jpgI also have a set of Peter Broadbents using the 4 screw pattern.20201204_075843.jpg.268230ea3dc8acb1b25963c0f0be6525.jpg20201204_075946.jpg.09b84fc740373db0f166d98b5be4c38f.jpg

Peter didn't use model names so I will plump for Golden Ram?

• Like 4