What should I look for my dad

Long post ahead! TLDR: Any 75-80 gram regular shaft with a high launch profile and a distance oriented club head for a once great old golfer who broke his back? He is also a simulator non-believer, which makes fitting much more difficult...

My dad (64) used to be a great golfer, single digit since forever. In 2020 he suffered a multyple myeloma that caused a vertebrae to break and a prosthesis to be installed. He had to learn to walk again but his recovery was impressive for someone his age.

He took up golf again at the end of 2022, but he is not the same as he was: his swing speed is much slower, as expected, and he is not able to hit it hard anymore (never was a hard hitter but his drives where 260-270 average, now it's barely 220-230).

On his quest to return to golf, many pros told him to go to a regular graphite shaft on all clubs (some said even senior shafts but he refused, as "he was playing stiff with no issues prior the illness", he is a tough head as you will find out) as he was using stiff in woods, but regular on irons.

He was using a set of Burner 2.0 irons with a stock regular 85 gram steel shaft. He tried upgrading through the years from those irons but he always came back to those.

Fast forward, he went to get fitted indoors and bought TM Stealth irons with 60R graphite shafts. He used them for 4 months and hated them, he says that they felt like toy clubs and swears he'll never trust simulators again, as he shanked the ball a lot.

His main issues were 1) Distance (he needs distance but the Stealth were really inconsistent) and 2) Feeling the club head.

He is right now back at the Burners 2.0 but he struggles a bit with them, I think they are a bit heavy.

Are there any 75-80 gram shafts (either steel or graphite) in regular that would suit a once great but now grumpy old golfer who is never happy with his equipment?

And a head that may accomplish what the Stealth couldn't?

And how would you guys approach his simulator fear/denial?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Edited by Nbesa

2 minutes ago, FirstFlight said:

He sounds old school...so get him some foot spray and lead tape, and go hit the range with those TM stealth irons with super light shafts. He will probably like them better when they begin to mimic heavier shaft weight. 

Tried it! Added like 10 gr on the PW and he said he still didn't like it, so he asked me to sell them and I did...

As I said, the old man is VERY tough headed

Definitely!

But that does not take away from the fact that when I play with him he complains a lot about those issues, so if I find something that fits him it will be a win-win for everyone haha.

He shot 78 a couple of weeks ago and was really happy, as it was the first time since the injury that he was able to shoot sub-80, so I want to find something that will make it easier for him

• Like 1

He could still test with the Burner 2.0 sticks(it's obvious he can still bring it). Help him plan his testing in a journal, with his before and after thoughts. Get foot spray and a roll of lead tape. Then methodically test(mimic) more shaft weight and three different choked down grip holds. Undo that and mimic more head weight and three different choked down grip holds. He should clearly begin to see a trend. From there, he might try as I did with a driver, testing a combo of both more shaft weight and head weight(eye opening and enlightening, with some frustration). 

If he's thorough and honest with his journal entries...he should begin to believe the direction he needs to go with shafts. Follow the DIY driver tune up, it will not disappoint. Cheers

I’m 62 and the speed loss is real. And I also detest simulator testing. Coming off a bad elbow injury I bought a set of New Level 623CBs with Recoil Dart 75 gram shafts on here last year specifically for the light shaft. They are not my regulars but a super combination. Feel is good. They launch very high for me with perhaps 1/2 club loss in distance. 

A KBS TGI 70g is fairly stout for a regular flex (iirc they list it as an R+).  https://www.golfworks.com/kbs-tgi-graphite-370-iron-shafts/p/fs0054/

If you can find some Project X Catalyst 80g shafts in 5.5 (they are around) it would fit your needs.  If you found a set of 80g 5.5 in Callaway Apex 19 irons it would be a great combination.  The 60g version are quite a bit different and not a good substitute imo.

He could go full out old man and get some Tour Edge Exotics irons with a C72x head.  The C721 and C722 have the KBS TGI shafts as a stock option.  Nice irons imo.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

4 hours ago, Nbesa said:

Long post ahead! TLDR: Any 75-80 gram regular shaft with a high launch profile and a distance oriented club head for a once great old golfer who broke his back? He is also a simulator non-believer, which makes fitting much more difficult...

My dad (64) used to be a great golfer, single digit since forever. In 2020 he suffered a multyple myeloma that caused a vertebrae to break and a prosthesis to be installed. He had to learn to walk again but his recovery was impressive for someone his age.

He took up golf again at the end of 2022, but he is not the same as he was: his swing speed is much slower, as expected, and he is not able to hit it hard anymore (never was a hard hitter but his drives where 260-270 average, now it's barely 220-230).

On his quest to return to golf, many pros told him to go to a regular graphite shaft on all clubs (some said even senior shafts but he refused, as "he was playing stiff with no issues prior the illness", he is a tough head as you will find out) as he was using stiff in woods, but regular on irons.

He was using a set of Burner 2.0 irons with a stock regular 85 gram steel shaft. He tried upgrading through the years from those irons but he always came back to those.

Fast forward, he went to get fitted indoors and bought TM Stealth irons with 60R graphite shafts. He used them for 4 months and hated them, he says that they felt like toy clubs and swears he'll never trust simulators again, as he shanked the ball a lot.

His main issues were 1) Distance (he needs distance but the Stealth were really inconsistent) and 2) Feeling the club head.

He is right now back at the Burners 2.0 but he struggles a bit with them, I think they are a bit heavy.

Are there any 75-80 gram shafts (either steel or graphite) in regular that would suit a once great but now grumpy old golfer who is never happy with his equipment?

I would recommend the Callaway Ai Smoke. They are known for having some of the easiest fairway woods to hit, and their famous Heaven Wood! And they have irons in a very light make. The ai smoke max fast! Just a suggestion, but I Really Hope for Your Dad, you check them out. 

Good luck

4 hours ago, Nbesa said:

Well, I’m not your dad and don’t have quite the same issues… Depending upon your/his ultimate outcome desire. 

Leave him alone with irons. Just find him a driver that feels good to him. Tsr1-2 are brilliant in that category.