Losing a lot of swing speed after injury and weight loss

Hey y'all,

I suffered quite a significant injury 3 months - tears in my superior and inferior peroneal retinaculum on my left foot (i'm RH) - because of a bad landing while throwing, bad landing with basically almost 300lbs total bodyweight of my training partner and mine. Swelled a bit a couple of days, only got pain free after almost 3 months, and am still a bit stiff now, unable to fully extend my ankle.

Decided to use the resting time to get on the carnivore diet and have lost almost 20lbs, now down to about 170ish lbs. Kept training my upper body while waiting for the feet to heal, no real strength gains but my bench, push-up, and shoulder press stayed the same.

Only start swinging at full speed again this week, and my swing speed / distance from mid-irons to driver DROPPED SIGNIFICANTLY. Used to carry my 7i 140-145 meters consistently, and my driver 250 meters. Now they're 128 and 210-220 respectively. On the simulator, my driver swing speed used to top at around 115mph, it is now 105ish.

Has anyone gone through this as well? Is it just something I need to build back up into? Or maybe need to add back more carbs to the diet?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had a prostatectomy in August and I lost 9mph of club head speed.  I also lost 14lbs. 

Apparently, my urologist swapped my legs for kitten legs during my prostate surgery.  It's the only possible explanation.  My upper body strength was pretty normal when I got back in the gym.  However, my legs are for all intents and purposes.....grafted on kitten legs.

It's been a absolute grind trying to get my previous human legs back.  The only advantage to the kitten legs is how warm they have been over the winter.

9 hours ago, artileri said:

Hey y'all,

I suffered quite a significant injury 3 months - tears in my superior and inferior peroneal retinaculum on my left foot (i'm RH) - because of a bad landing while throwing, bad landing with basically almost 300lbs total bodyweight of my training partner and mine. Swelled a bit a couple of days, only got pain free after almost 3 months, and am still a bit stiff now, unable to fully extend my ankle.

Decided to use the resting time to get on the carnivore diet and have lost almost 20lbs, now down to about 170ish lbs. Kept training my upper body while waiting for the feet to heal, no real strength gains but my bench, push-up, and shoulder press stayed the same.

Only start swinging at full speed again this week, and my swing speed / distance from mid-irons to driver DROPPED SIGNIFICANTLY. Used to carry my 7i 140-145 meters consistently, and my driver 250 meters. Now they're 128 and 210-220 respectively. On the simulator, my driver swing speed used to top at around 115mph, it is now 105ish.

Has anyone gone through this as well? Is it just something I need to build back up into? Or maybe need to add back more carbs to the diet?

So, your swing speed is down after not swinging full-speed for 3 months, due to a significant injury to the same foot you post up on in your golf swing? Do I have that right?

This doesn't sounds like a carbs issue.

For me, weightlifting without golf swinging or significant stretching (or both) = loss of flexibility and clubhead speed.   It should come back.  I used to go through this every winter when I lived up north, workout in the offseason, feel pretty good, but come out in the spring and feel like I lost almost 10% of my distance from the previous year......  the cure is to be able to hit enough balls/practice to get it back, as long as your injury doesn't hold you back, you should be OK. 

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

1 hour ago, otto6457 said:

Well, I had a prostatectomy in August and I lost 9mph of club head speed.  I also lost 14lbs. 

Apparently, my urologist swapped my legs for kitten legs during my prostate surgery.  It's the only possible explanation.  My upper body strength was pretty normal when I got back in the gym.  However, my legs are for all intents and purposes.....grafted on kitten legs.

It's been a absolute grind trying to get my previous human legs back.  The only advantage to the kitten legs is how warm they have been over the winter.

Damn. What exercises brought your tiger legs back? And how long did it take for you personally?

9 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

So, your swing speed is down after not swinging full-speed for 3 months, due to a significant injury to the same foot you post up on in your golf swing? Do I have that right?

This doesn't sounds like a carbs issue.

Well ive never really been one to "post up hard on my left leg" to lash at it. My left ankle usually rolls outside, feet usually spins out and back at the end of a full driver swing.

I had to wait until 3 months just to make sure theres enough flexibility for my left ankle to roll out a bit without reinjuring anything

6 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

For me, weightlifting without golf swinging or significant stretching (or both) = loss of flexibility and clubhead speed.   It should come back.  I used to go through this every winter when I lived up north, workout in the offseason, feel pretty good, but come out in the spring and feel like I lost almost 10% of my distance from the previous year......  the cure is to be able to hit enough balls/practice to get it back, as long as your injury doesn't hold you back, you should be OK. 

Whats the usual culprit? Lower body or upperbody flexibility.

Guess its no harm to just get looser overall 😄

1 minute ago, artileri said:

Well ive never really been one to "post up hard on my left leg" to lash at it. My left ankle usually rolls outside, feet usually spins out and back at the end of a full driver swing.

I had to wait until 3 months just to make sure theres enough flexibility for my left ankle to roll out a bit without reinjuring anything

Sorry -- I should have said "and you use your same, injured foot for balance and support during the golf swing, and don't swing standing on one foot?"

Your second line above is making my point. I know that I would have some trepidation going full-out with any activity/movement that involved a recently-injured body part (like when I got back to playing golf after nursing a cracked rib). Even if you're not concerned about reinjury (but you are), you haven't swung a golf club in 3 MONTHS. I certainly wouldn't expect to just pick up where I left off 3 months prior. It sounds as though you're not considering the layoff as a contributing factor (let alone THE factor) in your swing speed being off right now.

I think you should allow yourself some time and reps to get back to where you were. Otherwise, if there were some magic "yards-to-pounds" ratio out there, many of us would just be banging down donuts between rounds.

6 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

Sorry -- I should have said "and you use your same, injured foot for balance and support during the golf swing, and don't swing standing on one foot?"

Your second line above is making my point. I know that I would have some trepidation going full-out with any activity/movement that involved a recently-injured body part (like when I got back to playing golf after nursing a cracked rib). Even if you're not concerned about reinjury (but you are), you haven't swung a golf club in 3 MONTHS. I certainly wouldn't expect to just pick up where I left off 3 months prior. It sounds as though you're not considering the layoff as a contributing factor (let alone THE factor) in your swing speed being off right now.

I think you should allow yourself some time and reps to get back to where you were. Otherwise, if there were some magic "yards-to-pounds" ratio out there, many of us would just be banging down donuts between rounds.

We might be on to something here. John Daly would be on board

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, artileri said:

Whats the usual culprit? Lower body or upperbody flexibility.

Guess its no harm to just get looser overall 😄

Both really. A lot of arm/shoulder/core work, and just a lack of swinging/sitting around in the winter tightens the hips/legs. 

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I had some knee and abdominal surgeries. I lost about 12 mph. I got it back! 
This is what I did:

1) stretching  and yoga focusing on hips

2) core exercises- mostly planks but some medicine ball rotational stuff too

3) speed training with the Speed Stick and Rypstick. I also swung the Orange Whip quite a bit. 
I think most golf training aids are BS but the Speed Sticks and the RypStick actually work. I don’t have the Stack but people say that works too. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

2 hours ago, artileri said:

Damn. What exercises brought your tiger legs back? And how long did it take for you personally?

I'm not all the way back yet.  I'm doing lots of body weight squats every day.  (150). Then in the gym M-W-F, I alternate regular squats, Bulgarian split squats, leg press machine, hack squat machine, and hamstring machine.  It keeps it somewhat interesting mixing it up.  Plus, I still do my normal upper body work.  Age has made it harder to get back and the hormone therapy a few months before my surgery to kill off my testosterone was brutal.  I've never felt so bad, for so long. 

But I'm in a life and death grudge match against Father Time.  I just keep doing all I can do to stay competitive as long as possible.  This getting old ain't for sissies.

7 hours ago, otto6457 said:

I'm not all the way back yet.  I'm doing lots of body weight squats every day.  (150). Then in the gym M-W-F, I alternate regular squats, Bulgarian split squats, leg press machine, hack squat machine, and hamstring machine.  It keeps it somewhat interesting mixing it up.  Plus, I still do my normal upper body work.  Age has made it harder to get back and the hormone therapy a few months before my surgery to kill off my testosterone was brutal.  I've never felt so bad, for so long. 

But I'm in a life and death grudge match against Father Time.  I just keep doing all I can do to stay competitive as long as possible.  This getting old ain't for sissies.

The killing off of the test sounds brutal man. Hope you can get that pop back soon

7 hours ago, PJE said:

I had some knee and abdominal surgeries. I lost about 12 mph. I got it back! 
This is what I did:

1) stretching  and yoga focusing on hips

2) core exercises- mostly planks but some medicine ball rotational stuff too

3) speed training with the Speed Stick and Rypstick. I also swung the Orange Whip quite a bit. 
I think most golf training aids are BS but the Speed Sticks and the RypStick actually work. I don’t have the Stack but people say that works too. 

Well... looks like I will end up using that 3 months worth of green fees for something golf-related after all