2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bought Foresight Essential Putting Analysis for my GC Quad, now trying to figure out how to use the information to improve

So the Essential Putting Analysis was on sale for 75% off, normal price $2500, sale price $750. Probably a case of "more dollars than sense" but I figured "why not" in this case. I've read before that with the putting add-on, the Quad is the equivalent of a $10k stand alone putting monitor. I have no experience with other putting monitors, so I am unable to comment on that.

That said, I have it and I've played around with it some. And now I'm trying to figure out exactly how to leverage it to improve my putting stroke. 

I am in Maine and my course is still closed, probably will remain that way for another 2-3 weeks at least. I have a practice studio at home, and a staple of my current practice routine is to make at least 60 putts a day on my Perfect Practice mat. I've been working on my putting through the winter, and am pretty confident that I'll see it reflected in my on course putting this season- I can MUCH more reliably start a putt on the intended line than I could at the start of the winter.

Obviously I'm looking to be able to use the Quad to improve my putting further, but I'm unsure exactly what makes a good putting stroke, outside of rolling the ball on the intended line at the intended speed. Those two metrics are very easy to see without a monitor. 

Would anyone be able to make any suggestions on what I should focus my practice on when using my Quad? IE- what a typical "good" putting stroke would be for path, AoA, ETC?

I'd appreciate any input anyone might have. 

As a side bar- the Quad has been very helpful for analyzing what is going on with my full swing- I find it very helpful to be able to see what my swing path is, what my AoA is, what the face is actually doing, where on the face the ball is impacting, what the club head speed is, ETC. I just don't know as much about what makes a good putting stroke compared to what makes a good full swing- the basics are that you want a slightly upward AoA, but beyond that I'm not sure. I also need to re-research correct fiducial placement, as I have to get the heel pretty high to get the quad to show a level putter head (it normally shows 3 degrees toe up even when making a conscious effort to deliver it level.)

Thanks,

-BM

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AoA of about 2-3° up is good, loft of about 1-2°… minimize the skid and try not to have much if any backspin (you won't get much forward spin, but you can get a tiny amount, even a "no spin" ball is fine as long as it's not skidding for a long distance).

You probably set up with the toe in the air a bit - a lot of people do. 3° is not much - one minute on a clock is 6°.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

On 4/6/2024 at 6:52 PM, iacas said:

AoA of about 2-3° up is good, loft of about 1-2°… minimize the skid and try not to have much if any backspin (you won't get much forward spin, but you can get a tiny amount, even a "no spin" ball is fine as long as it's not skidding for a long distance).

You probably set up with the toe in the air a bit - a lot of people do. 3° is not much - one minute on a clock is 6°.

Thanks a bunch! I had a general idea of what to look at, that gives me some confirmation of what to focus on.

As to the toe up- I sent in a fitting video to LAB using my current stock 35" 69 degree DF2.1. Based on how I was using the putter, the fit came back at 65 degrees, but I could see in the video that my hands were really low and the shaft wasn't in line with my forearms. I'm attempting to work that out before committing to an order. The reason it is surprising that it measured 3 degrees toe up is the putts were made very deliberately upright. I'll need to take another DTL video to know for sure if it's a fiducial placement issue or an accurate read.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2024 at 2:16 PM, bm11 said:

So the Essential Putting Analysis was on sale for 75% off, normal price $2500, sale price $750. Probably a case of "more dollars than sense" but I figured "why not" in this case. I've read before that with the putting add-on, the Quad is the equivalent of a $10k stand alone putting monitor. I have no experience with other putting monitors, so I am unable to comment on that.

That said, I have it and I've played around with it some. And now I'm trying to figure out exactly how to leverage it to improve my putting stroke. 

I am in Maine and my course is still closed, probably will remain that way for another 2-3 weeks at least. I have a practice studio at home, and a staple of my current practice routine is to make at least 60 putts a day on my Perfect Practice mat. I've been working on my putting through the winter, and am pretty confident that I'll see it reflected in my on course putting this season- I can MUCH more reliably start a putt on the intended line than I could at the start of the winter.

Obviously I'm looking to be able to use the Quad to improve my putting further, but I'm unsure exactly what makes a good putting stroke, outside of rolling the ball on the intended line at the intended speed. Those two metrics are very easy to see without a monitor. 

Would anyone be able to make any suggestions on what I should focus my practice on when using my Quad? IE- what a typical "good" putting stroke would be for path, AoA, ETC?

I'd appreciate any input anyone might have. 

As a side bar- the Quad has been very helpful for analyzing what is going on with my full swing- I find it very helpful to be able to see what my swing path is, what my AoA is, what the face is actually doing, where on the face the ball is impacting, what the club head speed is, ETC. I just don't know as much about what makes a good putting stroke compared to what makes a good full swing- the basics are that you want a slightly upward AoA, but beyond that I'm not sure. I also need to re-research correct fiducial placement, as I have to get the heel pretty high to get the quad to show a level putter head (it normally shows 3 degrees toe up even when making a conscious effort to deliver it level.)

Thanks,

-BM

Hi BM. 

Can I ask how you are using the Essitanls, what I mean is what program do you use and like best (FSX pro, Play or what ever all those are that they have come out with). And also, when you take it out on the putting green, you use an iPad or?

On 4/25/2024 at 12:50 PM, Snuddi said:

Hi BM. 

Can I ask how you are using the Essitanls, what I mean is what program do you use and like best (FSX pro, Play or what ever all those are that they have come out with). And also, when you take it out on the putting green, you use an iPad or?

So far, I've been using it indoors only. I have a Perfect Practice mat in my home studio, and I set my Quad up and align it with the alignment stick on the putting line of my mat. I set up on the practice green in FSX 2020 (I haven't figured out where I'd find putting in Pro yet, and the data is still better in 2020 than it is in Play so I do my practice there.) 

I roll a putt, and try to learn whatever I can by looking at my path, face, AoA, and skid metrics. From there, I'm still a bit lost as to exactly use any of that to improve my putting. I think I may need to sign up for some online putting coaching with someone who is Quad adept to benefit any further.