2024 Mizuho Americas Open (May 16 - 19)

irrelevant stuff:

where did the name mizuho come from?

it was a merger of three japanese banks to form a mega bank in 1999.

the chairman of the largest insisted that the name be mizuho against the wishes of just about everyone involved. he prevailed.

it’s the name of his late wife, and he wanted her name to be remembered in perpetuity.

• Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

10 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

irrelevant stuff:

the chairman of the largest insisted that the name be mizuho against the wishes of just about everyone involved. he prevailed.

it’s the name of his late wife, and he wanted her name to be remembered in perpetuity.

Now considered 1of3 top financial COs in Japan. MUFG Bank, along with Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation and Mizuho Bank, is recognized as one of the three major megabanks in Japan. -Wikipedia

MUFG is Mitsubishi’s financial wing.

From NHK Japan/world yesterday, Mizuho earnings were up 22.4% last Q on overall 4.4Bil USD.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, kmbean said:

I wonder how much longer Paula C will see being on tour as a financial proposition that makes any logical sense.  Seven events so far this year and $0 prize money won.

She isn’t touring again with same focus/target goals as previously. It’s more about getting back on tour in the traveling circus with her friends and networking.

She said she missed it and the competition. Recognized its a different tour now focused on new players and more length. Some networking will be helpful to set her up for next career and her future.

Until then she is enjoying being back on tour and giving back. Last year at Mizuho, she was the primary pro-am pro and had the NY Giants focus.

Her parents also came out to enjoy NYC to thank them and enjoy time being a family together.

Remember this is the only tournament ideally setup for players and families to enjoy NYC. Until the Mizuho, there wasn’t the direct access and logistics setup for NYC.

Edited by aabcuue
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 9:12 AM, pmcuk said:

Forecast is heavy rain all day today. Not good for the course.

Forecast is rain tomorrow as well, but not so much. Hope the action isn't interrupted too much. Friday should be sunny.

Shouldn’t be too bad, as it’s a modern course it drains v well and the hills drain quickly.

Even most areas near water is elevated and not marshy.

The bigger scoring restriction and effect is the winds as course is open w v limited trees. Winds tend to blow in afternoon more than in the morning.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gabi seems to be adapting to the big tour quite nicely. 

I wouldn't classify her as a darkhorse pick considering that she lost in a playoff here to Rose last year, but Jennifer is one to watch this week. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

good to see some of the "less heraldeds" on the leaderboard today - So Mi, Pagdanganan, Saigo... Even Andrea L and Gabby are not exactly TV ratings draw (but to me, this is the golf I wanna watch heading into the weekend) - let's hope one of  these guys win it ... all the way to even the Twitter trigger happy Jenny Shin 😆  (I'm just focusing on top 10 right now - even if it's only R1)

I would guess this is Paula Creamer's last year on Tour?  I believe this is the last of her Top 20 Career Money exemptions.

Alison Lee has cooled off after a torrid stretch late last year and early this year.  Hopefully, she will still get an LPGA win somewhere along the line.  However, sometimes there are only so many chances and one needs to strike while the iron is hot.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

irrelevant stuff:

actually pretty cool bit of random info imo

• Thanks 1

Tough conditions out there late. Heck of a round by So Mi after getting into the field at the last minute. 

With only the top 50 (and ties) making it into the weekend, a lot of players have their work cut out for them tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

12 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

irrelevant stuff:

thanks @Soloman1 for the interesting trivia w.r.t. "Mizuho" (perhaps the lineage = from farming?)

image.png.f0a4ecd9cd541128a88a352c60dee6d1.png

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Tough conditions out there late. Heck of a round by So Mi after getting into the field at the last minute. 

With only the top 50 (and ties) making it into the weekend, a lot of players have their work cut out for them tomorrow. 

"+1" on So Mi Lee making the most out of a last-minute inclusion into the field. 

Ditto Mao Saigo.

image.png.1e3eb4094daa322c7d31c140684436bc.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MagicClassic407 said:

With several withdraws, must have been some bad sushi? Weather looks better now so looking for the course to dry out a bit. Impressed with Amy Lee, the junior who had an ace. Nice interview!

@MagicClassic407 perhaps it was from over-indulging at the Founders (as JYK previously mentioned ... the food at Founders is fab!)

The Mizuho organisers would take as a matter of shame/ loss of 'face', if dodgy sushi was the cause of the withdrawals! @Soloman1 can attest to the Japanese pride in matters of 'face'?

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1845133-lets-appreciate-the-consistency-of-jin-young-ko/?do=findComment&comment=23902012

image.png.706b53d7f6e42cb2b6142eeccdd6b397.png

Edited by JungleJimbo

On 5/16/2024 at 12:29 AM, GolfMoose said:

Epson Tour win in case anyone else was also curious.  The website article mentions a mid-round back injury when she pushed to get 100% on a drive. Recall from the Blue Bay coverage lots of discussion regarding her unusual move where she pretty much turns around and looks behind her during her backswing.

(Lots of Olympic hopefuls action this week on Epson....Szeryk and Sharp, Ardina, Weber etc)

As I understand it, her unusual take-away is because of her back injury, not the cause of it. Maybe she reverted to a normal take-away for one shot.

On 5/16/2024 at 10:35 AM, aabcuue said:

Don’t forget the free ferry from hotel to/from direct to course lockroom. It makes travel extremely convenient. This saves the need for rental car yet BMWs are still available as needed for “special events”.

This setup saves every player thousands, logistic hassles and the majority of tournament costs to play.

However players and VIPs sort of stick out on a ferry mixed in with general public. Fortunately they have been left alone and not bothered much. Yes, the LPGA has stalkers it happened last week.

If I lived in NYC I'd be a stalker - if you count riding the ferry back and forth all day as stalking!

11 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Gabi seems to be adapting to the big tour quite nicely. 

I wouldn't classify her as a darkhorse pick considering that she lost in a playoff here to Rose last year, but Jennifer is one to watch this week. 

Outside chance for Olympic qualification? On current form she could snare Top-15 in the Rolex rankings.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:05 AM, aabcuue said:

However players and VIPs sort of stick out on a ferry mixed in with general public. Fortunately they have been left alone and not bothered much. Yes, the LPGA has stalkers it happened last week.

they managed to keep it out of the media! Good thing the LPGA Security team is proactive w.r.t. the real Security Binder! (Did you hear about it, via the security updates given to Volunteers at the Founders ... or you are "Mr Security Binder / The Bodyguard/ 007"?)

image.png.c1bbe59f138788cd4187422711473da8.png

image.png.21b3a5283f9481d385f310c719151690.png

11 hours ago, Shakeshook said:

good to see some of the "less heraldeds" on the leaderboard today - So Mi, Pagdanganan, Saigo... Even Andrea L and Gabby are not exactly TV ratings draw (but to me, this is the golf I wanna watch heading into the weekend) - let's hope one of  these guys win it ... all the way to even the Twitter trigger happy Jenny Shin 😆  (I'm just focusing on top 10 right now - even if it's only R1)

Jenny is amusing . Definitely likes a bit of attention . Would love to see her bink one but never bet on her . Somethings missing 

kind of looking forward to Lexi retiring . She gets way too much coverage and I don’t like her swing , demeanour ..or even think she’s particularly interesting or attractive 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, QueenJIN said:

Jenny is amusing . Definitely likes a bit of attention . Would love to see her bink one but never bet on her . Somethings missing 

kind of looking forward to Lexi retiring . She gets way too much coverage and I don’t like her swing , demeanour ..or even think she’s particularly interesting or attractive 

what’s “Would love to see her bink one”? Is this a groovy new slang term? Similar to  “boink”?

30 Rock Hello GIF

Edited by JungleJimbo

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, QueenJIN said:

Jenny Shin's twitter is a "stream of consciousness" ie covers a myriad of topics! : https://twitter.com/JennyShin_LPGA

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, QueenJIN said:

Even in Brooke-land at the CPKC she remained a big draw (like Nelly, whose crowd work was very impressive), for young girls and others. Watching Lexi at short range, the lady standing beside me in her 30's turned to her husband and said "wow, I think I have a bit of a girl crush". 🙂  I'll admit, she has a kind of presence. This stuff is outside pure results or logic isn't it....why was Fowler still in half the golf commercials years after winning.

Edited by GolfMoose
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

perhaps it was from over-indulging at the Founders (as JYK previously mentioned ... the food at Founders is fab!)

The WDs continue to add up! I think we're up to 8 on the scoreboard, ie, those who actually made a start!  Wassup??? OK, now looking forward to seeing what the boards (must be blowing up) are saying about Sheffler...........

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 1:33 AM, Raving Shanker said:

If I lived in NYC I'd be a stalker - if you count riding the ferry back and forth all day as stalking!

Not likely to happen pd are always present on the ferry, something about homeland security and terrorism prevention. That and a trickle effect prevention after all the subway attacks.

Edited by aabcuue

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

they managed to keep it out of the media! Good thing the LPGA Security team is proactive w.r.t. the real Security Binder! (Did you hear about it, via the security updates given to Volunteers at the Founders ... or you are "Mr Security Binder / The Bodyguard/ 007"?)

image.png.c1bbe59f138788cd4187422711473da8.png

image.png.21b3a5283f9481d385f310c719151690.png

No it was all over the scuttlebutt and on the radio. Again no for vols update. Only need to know otherwise why tell everybody. Why spread confidential news that could be uncontrollably spread and rumored.

PD arrested the stalker on fri. A heavier pd presence remained the rest of the tournament and esp around the player(s).

Edited by aabcuue
  • Like 1