Callaway Tour i Ball

RNF

I've been messing around with this ball for the last 2 days and I can say that Callaway has a real winner here.

From the hole back:

Softer off the putter than the HX Tour & Tour 56.

More bite on short chips and picthes than either Tour/56 (Pro V1 & V1x too).

Nice solid feel off the irons. Slightly higher ballflight than the ProV1/V1x (same as the HX Tour & 56 did). Stops quickly without the ball backing way up. I'd say it is more of a hit and sit and hit and spin back 2-3" into a 15+mph wind with a 9i. I'd say just like the HX Tour & Tour 56 it comes in steeper than a ProV1/V1X. Approximately 4' longer w/an 8i (which was easy to see on my very wet fairways).

Off the driver I'd say again slightly higher ballflight than a ProV1/V1x and slightly steeper drop (same a s the HX Tour series). The ball stays in the air a very long time.

What makes it different than other balls:

Wonderfully stable on crosswinds and into the wind. Hitting knockdowns into the wind the ball is very stable and not prone to ballooning (of course I'm speaking of a well stuck knockdown, as any poorly stuck knockdown is prone to be gobbled up in the wind). This ball is similar to the HX Tour series balls but does everything just that bit better and with a softer feel off the putter.

If you like the HX Tour series you will really enjoy the Touri ball.

BTW - 30 ProV1/V1x players on tour have switched in the last month and I can see why. Callaway is paying them and they have a winner with this ball; it was a no brainer for them to switch.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if I would benefit more from the i vs. the iX...I had the same debate with the HX Tour vs. the HX Tour 56. I like the fact that the iX is longer, but does that length make a different compared to the softness in feel you trade for it?

When I compared the Tour and Tour 56 side-by-side last year I was pretty surprised at how noticeably softer the 56 was. But I'm not the longest hitter either, so some extra yards wouldn't hurt me. Hmmmm

I'm wondering if I would benefit more from the i vs. the iX...I had the same debate with the HX Tour vs. the HX Tour 56. I like the fact that the iX is longer, but does that length make a different compared to the softness in feel you trade for it?

When I compared the Tour and Tour 56 side-by-side last year I was pretty surprised at how noticeably softer the 56 was. But I'm not the longest hitter either, so some extra yards wouldn't hurt me. Hmmmm

[/quote

You might want to wait for the I.....I am in the same boat with spin....The IX dosnet spin as much as the HX56 IMO. IT is definately longer off the tee by 10-15 than the HX56 but i need the soft feel of the HX56. That being said you might want to try them just in case.

JWF

ALL Taylormade :)

I've been messing around with this ball for the last 2 days and I can say that Callaway has a real winner here.

From the hole back:

Nice solid feel off the irons. Slightly higher ballflight than the ProV1/V1x (same as the HX Tour & 56 did). Stops quickly without the ball backing way up. I'd say it is more of a hit and sit and hit and spin back 2-3" into a 15+mph wind with a 9i. I'd say just like the HX Tour & Tour 56 it comes in steeper than a ProV1/V1X. Approximately 4' longer w/an 8i (which was easy to see on my very wet fairways).

Off the driver I'd say again slightly higher ballflight than a ProV1/V1x and slightly steeper drop (same a s the HX Tour series). The ball stays in the air a very long time.

Wonderfully stable on crosswinds and into the wind. Hitting knockdowns into the wind the ball is very stable and not prone to ballooning (of course I'm speaking of a well stuck knockdown, as any poorly stuck knockdown is prone to be gobbled up in the wind). This ball is similar to the HX Tour series balls but does everything just that bit better and with a softer feel off the putter.

BTW - 30 ProV1/V1x players on tour have switched in the last month and I can see why. Callaway is paying them and they have a winner with this ball; it was a no brainer for them to switch.

I agree 100% with all points you have made. I am switching from Pro V1x.

From the hole back:

I agree 100% with all points you have made. I am switching from Pro V1x.

My findings are that the Prov1x is for me a better ball, driver distance is the same(prov1x a tad farther), iron shots were the same, Tour IX doesnt spin as much as prov1x. short chips prov1x is hands down a better ball, putting Prov1x feels much better. For me I will stay with Prov1x, but if Prov1x goes away my next choice will be Tour IX

BTW(in my opinion) Dont pay attention to what PRo's play, it is all about money, I am sure if someone paid you money to play their ball you might play it even if you like another ball better. You must go out and try them yourself and if the Callaway is the best then play it, if Prov1x is then play it, if Bridgestone is then play it. Good luck with all of your games, have a great year and lets all improve this year!!!

Granted there is NO DOUBT the reason that 30 guys switched is because of money, however they are only getting ~$150k. If you felt that the ball was going to hinder you then that $150k is not that much over a years time. To switch you have to be assured that the ball is at minimum equal to your ball of choice.

BTW - Most Titleist players are not playing the new ProV1 series; they play the 2005 ball.

The majority of callaway players are using the Touri, not the ix

Tour Ix is Callaway's competitor to ProV1X. The HX Tour was their version of ProV, the 56 had no competitor, leaving a gap. Callaway needed to fill the gap, they did.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Granted there is NO DOUBT the reason that 30 guys switched is because of money, however they are only getting ~$150k. If you felt that the ball was going to hinder you then that $150k is not that much over a years time. To switch you have to be assured that the ball is at minimum equal to your ball of choice.

BTW - Most Titleist players are not playing the new ProV1 series; they play the 2005 ball.

Any Professional knows one thing that most amateurs fail to consider or understand; a professional at anything has to make hay while the sun shines, meaning earn as much money as possible in any given year because God forbid, next year could be worse. A professional has to have a positive outlook for the future yet be astutley aware of what could happen if....

I disagree with your statement (paraphrased) “minimum equal to ball of choice”; 150k pays a lot of bills and 10yds long or short in the fairway (which is what touring pros deal with) does NOT win a tournament.

I know a few PGA tour players; their garage has stacks of boxes of balls from various years, and some players prefer one year over another. I preferred the ProV1X from 2005, but cannot get them; been gifted some however. But, I am curious how you know “Titleist players are not playing the new ProV1 series; they play the 2005 ball.” That is not what I’ve been told by friends.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I myself have never really played one consistant ball, but this year i plan on just that. I read the ball article in Golf Mag. and it game me some good insite into a couple to try this year.

Question is this: The HX Hot Bite seem to be similar to the ix when you read the box. Has anyone tried these in compairison ? I am wanting to find a ball but would like to stay around the $30 range, The Bite might be the ticket ??

I myself have never really played one consistant ball, but this year i plan on just that. I read the ball article in Golf Mag. and it game me some good insite into a couple to try this year.

Question is this: The HX Hot Bite seem to be similar to the ix when you read the box. Has anyone tried these in compairison ? I am wanting to find a ball but would like to stay around the $30 range, The Bite might be the ticket ??

yeah that article was very interesting, it's pretty much how i settled on using the new tp black, it was the longest out of all the balls, but still was 4th or 5th i think with most spin. but i did pick up a sleeve of the ix to try out. only played one round with them so far, and i was playing in some pretty windy conditions, so couldn't get a firm decision on how the balls performed, but they never ballooned when i had a shot into the wind, so they're okay in my book. couldnt really judge the spin, as the wind had turned the greens into plywood. as far as distance, i'd say the tp black was still longer by about 5-7 yards with every club. one thing i did notice was that it was a bit easier to hit knockdown shots with the ix, but, the tp black was made to produce a higher ballflight anyways, so that's neither here nor there. all in all, a pretty solid ball, i'm playing a round tomorrow at a course that won't be as windy and will have slightly more receptive greens, so there i'll be able to give it a full analysis, and i'll return with my findings.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

Any Professional knows one thing that most amateurs fail to consider or understand; a professional at anything has to make hay while the sun shines, meaning earn as much money as possible in any given year because God forbid, next year could be worse. A professional has to have a positive outlook for the future yet be astutley aware of what could happen if....

I disagree with your statement (paraphrased) "minimum equal to ball of choice"; 150k pays a lot of bills and 10yds long or short in the fairway (which is what touring pros deal with) does NOT win a tournament.

I know a few PGA tour players; their garage has stacks of boxes of balls from various years, and some players prefer one year over another. I preferred the ProV1X from 2005, but cannot get them; been gifted some however. But, I am curious how you know "Titleist players are not playing the new ProV1 series; they play the 2005 ball." That is not what I've been told by friends.

Ummm...I am a professional.

In the world of $4+m purses $150k to play a ball that you do not trust is not going to get anyone to change. You can lose your card so quick out there it isn't even funny. You are right about one thing - 10yards is not going to make them switch; 10 yards with equal spin around the greens and more stability in the wind has a very good chance though.

And trust me Callaway/Titleist/TM/BS are not going to pay a 1st year "unproven" rookie $150k/yr. They will pay a seasoned journeyman $150k though. One person I am referring to is also negotiating a new contract and they are one of the 30 that have switched from ProV1x to Touri. They are now talking about switching from Ping to Callaway. A huge surprise to me because thats all I've ever seen him play.

I disagree with your statement (paraphrased) "minimum equal to ball of choice"; 150k pays a lot of bills and 10yds long or short in the fairway (which is what touring pros deal with) does NOT win a tournament.

I know a few PGA tour players; their garage has stacks of boxes of balls from various years, and some players prefer one year over another. I preferred the ProV1X from 2005, but cannot get them; been gifted some however. But, I am curious how you know "Titleist players are not playing the new ProV1 series; they play the 2005 ball." That is not what I've been told by friends.

Ummm...I am a professional.

In the world of $4+m purses $150k to play a ball that you do not trust is not going to get anyone to change. You can lose your card so quick out there it isn't even funny. You are right about one thing - 10yards is not going to make them switch; 10 yards with equal spin around the greens and more stability in the wind has a very good chance though.

And trust me Callaway/Titleist/TM/BS are not going to pay a 1st year "unproven" rookie $150k/yr. They will pay a seasoned journeyman $150k though. One person I am referring to is also negotiating a new contract and they are one of the 30 that have switched from ProV1x to Touri. They are now talking about switching from Ping to Callaway. A huge surprise to me because thats all I've ever seen him play.

Yes, the purses are large, but for the most part the average “tour” player is not getting the lion’s share of those purses. Fredrik Jacobson is #100 on the world money list. I would be hard pressed to think 150k a year doesn’t mean anything to him or others like him further down the list, or all the players on other tours and other world tours.

I sponsored a few mini tour players in years past through my company, 150k meant a lot to many with a families. As for trusting the ball, you are right; nobody is going to abruptly switch without using the ball. But in defensive of the balls today, the balls on tour are tested; and there are more then ProV’s and Callaway, as you know. Brings to mind a while back Stewart Cink showed up wearing dorky sandals for a while; and he fielded a lot of ribbing; it had to be for money.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

well i finally got to try the ball out in semi-ideal conditions, it was still a bit breezy, but that was fine, because it's where this ball really shines, it is so good in the wind, my ball didn't balloon once during the round. i had 104 yd 3rd shot into a par 5, it was downwind, so i hit sand wedge, but i hit it as hard as i could, because my experience with most other balls was that the tailwind would end up taking a good amount of spin on the ball, not so with this ball, it took one hop and stopped about 2 feet from the hole. distance wise, i'd say it was right on line with the new tp black, maybe 1-2 yards shorter. it was very soft, but not mushy feeling, especially when putting, which i liked because i prefer a much firmer feel when putting, when a ball feels too soft, i feel like i have to hit it harder than i normally would. all in all a very solid ball. don't think it'll take the place of my tp blacks, but that's only because the callaways are 50 bucks a dozen, and the tp's are 10 bucks cheaper. but they are a very excellent rock and i can't wait to try the tour i's when they come out.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

I am very curious about the 30 pros switching to the callaway, i would like to know who they are, can you name some please?

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

From the hole back:

30 prov1x players switched, lets have the list, I am curious to see who switched?

I think guys will switch drivers and putters often, if the money is right. The ball is the life blood of their game. If they cannot trust what the ball is going to do then they will not switch to it. Money isn't the only driving force.

I think maybe Callaway has a ball that is turning heads on tour like a little ball that came out 7 years ago that started having similar momentum. The 4 peice inertia technology is very quite interesting if you check out the website.

Ernie, Phil, Annika, and Lorena have all won with it recently, they are not too shabby.

I think guys will switch drivers and putters often, if the money is right. The ball is the life blood of their game. If they cannot trust what the ball is going to do then they will not switch to it. Money isn't the only driving force.

I think maybe Callaway has a ball that is turning heads on tour like a little ball that came out 7 years ago that started having similar momentum. The 4 peice inertia technology is very quite interesting if you check out the website.

Ernie, Phil, Annika, and Lorena have all won with it recently, they are not too shabby.

I think the callaway is a good ball, but those 4 players you mentioned would win with whatever ball they played, like tiger if he played callaway he win just as many , same with Prov....

I tried both, not a very good test though wet and temps in the 40's the bite is just a tad bit longer, the ix feels a tad harder of the driver and putter. chipping with a new callaway wedge I scuffed the paint off thei x while the cover on the bite not so much. I really want to try them both on hotter weather to decide which ball I like.

I picked up a dozen of the IX's a few weeks back. I've played two rounds with them, both from the same sleeve. I finally lost one ball on 17 yesterday. I am a big fan of the Cally HX tour and figured the iX would be a similar ball only better. I have to say after two rounds I am very disappointed. This is about 10-15 yards shorter for me, and feels like I am hitting a rock. I have a ss about 105 so I have no problem compressing, but these things have no feel. They also do not spin as much on greens, IMHO. In fact if I didn't know any better, these things feel about like the 2007 version of the TP blacks from taylor made. Needless to say, I'll find some of the old Cally HX's and play my backup when I can't find them anymore in the Nike Blacks. Cally, you chose poorly in releasing these, if you ask me. Maybe the Tour i's will be better, but I am not so sure I want to drop another 45 on something I don't care for.