2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Lexi to Retire End of 2024 Season

^ yep

Personally, I’ve enjoyed watching Lexi play golf. Even though I do not watch a lot of women’s sports, she had the it, and I have a sister in law that looks like her. So there’s that.

Seems to me a lot of folks just like to hate human imperfections. Cast the first stone eh? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lot of contrasting but informed posts in here. The perspective of others who have made a living on the road offer some good insight. Seems like for Thompson it's just the weight of too many things and I'm not sure many could deal with it all. 

Perhaps because they have what it takes to win early and because of the lower overall potential career earnings, far more young women decide to try and grind it out on one of the tours before 18 than young men, and neither group is really in a good place on average to deal with that kind of pressure. Add to that families often turn their kid into the breadwinner. Then add in that for most who take on these kinds of careers they become their identity; can look to Tiger to see how difficult it is for many to contemplate anything outside of being known as a premier force in their milieu. Then add on constant criticism including on social media for younger players who don't have the sense to know they should have handlers managing that to keep all the noise out of their head. 

The emotion may be more raw for Thompson but I think it's likely exactly what many on the mens tours feel as well. Her entire life since childhood has been defined with people looking at her to be a premiere golfer; not just a pro, not just someone making a living out there, but someone who should be one of the best. That's got to take a toll. 

We see plenty of top of their high school class kids burn out or flame out in life because the hype was too much for them to deal with in the end, and for them they aren't under nearly as large of a microscope. It's fair to say the scrutiny comes with the position, but there's no way a teenager can have any meaningful comprehension of what they're getting into signing up for a professional sports career or one in the public eye in any form. Thompson got a lot out of the game but it also took a lot more out of her than is healthy. 

Luckily she's set on resources to take all the time she needs to build the kind of life she wants as she takes at least a bit of a step back from the game. 

On 6/1/2024 at 9:37 PM, Louis_Posture said:

There are several cases of Tour pros cheating including Tiger at TPC, Stewart Cink at Harbour Town, Vijay Singh at the Masters and Presidents Cup, Lexi Thompson at Mission Hills and more. Sadly, the one thing they all have in common is not one of the Tour pros who cheated admits to doing so.

To be clear…if you’re referencing Cink at Harbor Town moving the sea shell bits in a battle with Ted Purdy?  In waste areas…not bunkers.  Yes there were people whining but there was no cheating involved.  Or did you have a different example.

What did Tiger do at TPC?

VJ?

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

To be clear…if you’re referencing Cink at Harbor Town moving the sea shell bits in a battle with Ted Purdy?  In waste areas…not bunkers.  Yes there were people whining but there was no cheating involved.  Or did you have a different example.

VJ?

To be clear, within the waste area at Harbor Town Cink used his finger to dig a trench behind the ball and build himself an improved lie, which is absolutely cheating, no question about it.

On a related subject at that hole's tee box Cink had asked Slugger White, the Official following the group, to clarify what was allowed within a waste bunker. While still on the tee box White told him "loose impediments may be removed", which is correct. However once at his golf ball Cink did not remove loose impediments, he used his finger to dig a trench behind the ball.

White was at fault for not accompanying Cink to his ball. Later in the clubhouse, upon watching a video of Cink violate the Rules, to cover up his own mistake of not accompanying Cink to his ball, White did not penalize Cink.

After watching the video Cink should have admitted he made a mistake and penalized himself.

After watching the video the PGA Tour management should have terminated Slugger White's employment.

At the 2013 Players Championship, 13th hole , Tiger pulled his tee shot left into the water and should have dropped where the ball crossed the hazard line which was in front of the tee box.

Instead he gave himself an additional 230 yards or so by dropping well down the fairway, to the side of the water, as if his original tee shot had a right-to-left hooking flight, which it did not.

10 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

To be clear, within the waste area at Harbor Town Cink used his finger to dig a trench behind the ball and build himself an improved lie, which is absolutely cheating, no question about it.

On a related subject at that hole's tee box Cink had asked Slugger White, the Official following the group, to clarify what was allowed within a waste bunker. While still on the tee box White told him "loose impediments may be removed", which is correct. However once at his golf ball Cink did not remove loose impediments, he used his finger to dig a trench behind the ball.

White was at fault for not accompanying Cink to his ball. Later in the clubhouse, upon watching a video of Cink violate the Rules, to cover up his own mistake of not accompanying Cink to his ball, White did not penalize Cink.

After watching the video Cink should have admitted he made a mistake and penalized himself.

After watching the video the PGA Tour management should have terminated Slugger White's employment.

https://www.espn.com/golf/news/story?id=1791623

VJ?

At the 2000 Masters Vijay pulled his approach shot into the pond to the left of the 11th green. Instead of dropping in front of the pond to play a 35 yard pitch over the water Singh took his drop  well forward, where the fringe of the green meets the downward slope to the water, leaving himself a routine up and down.

2 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

At the 2013 Players Championship, 13th hole , Tiger pulled his tee shot left into the water and should have dropped where the ball crossed the hazard line which was in front of the tee box.

Instead he gave himself an additional 230 yards or so by dropping well down the fairway, to the side of the water, as if his original tee shot had a right-to-left hooking flight, which it did not.

Of course being Tiger that one was discussed ad nauseum.  Every year it seems someone has an instance like that…this year it was Rory.  If you have video that no one else has let’s see it. Some say what he did was proper and some say it wasn’t as you seem to believe.  Unless you have proof he was wrong and knew it it’s not cheating.  If Cink was told it’s ok he was not cheating.  Misinformed but not cheating.

1 minute ago, Louis_Posture said:

At the 2000 Masters Vijay pulled his approach shot into the pond to the left of the 11th green. Instead of dropping in front of the pond to play a 35 yard pitch over the water Singh took his drop  well forward, where the fringe of the green meets the downward slope to the water, leaving himself a routine up and down.

That one I did not recall at all so have no comment.  My point is that not all claims of players cheating are cheating.  A player can break a rule without cheating.

6 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

The author of the article you linked wrote :

While loose impediments, in this case coquina shells, are fair game, sand is not and
on the videotape, it appeared Cink was moving sand with his index
finger.

And the above quote should be the thematic statement of the article. Again, using one's finger to dig a trench behind the ball is a violation of the Rules.

Instead the author seems to think the type of material (sand vs shells) is the story. It's not. What matters here is that Cink built himself a lie, which is cheating.

16 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

The author of the article you linked wrote :

While loose impediments, in this case coquina shells, are fair game, sand is not and
on the videotape, it appeared Cink was moving sand with his index
finger.

And the above quote should be the thematic statement of the article. Again, using one's finger to dig a trench behind the ball is a violation of the Rules.

Instead the author seems to think the type of material (sand vs shells) is the story. It's not. What matters here is that Cink built himself a lie, which is cheating.

I get what you’re saying.  Show me how you pick up a tiny piece of sea shell without doing so.  

And note …in that same article…Cink essentially agreed with you that you shouldn’t be able to.  He was told none of it was considered sand.  So it was all fair game.  Can you pick up one tiny stone the size of a grain of sand without seeming to make a line in the impediments?  He clearly was told the wrong thing by the rules official but that does not make it cheating.

IMO very few times do we see players “cheat”.  Gary Player 1974 Open…Reed a few times… Breaking a rule without intent is just that…breaking a rule.  Not necessarily cheating.  What started this part of the conversation was just that though imo.  Lexi seems to replace her ball a bit to the side to avoid a pitch mark.

24 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I get what you’re saying.  Show me how you pick up a tiny piece of sea shell without doing so.  

And note …in that same article…Cink essentially agreed with you that you shouldn’t be able to.  He was told none of it was considered sand.  So it was all fair game.  Can you pick up one tiny stone the size of a grain of sand without seeming to make a line in the impediments?  He clearly was told the wrong thing by the rules official but that does not make it cheating.

IMO very few times do we see players “cheat”.  Gary Player 1974 Open…Reed a few times… Breaking a rule without intent is just that…breaking a rule.  Not necessarily cheating.  What started this part of the conversation was just that though imo.  Lexi seems to replace her ball a bit to the side to avoid a pitch mark.

Breaking a rule, cheating.... Gotta say I lean to the side that says these are professionals, who should be expected to know the rules, and when they do err, own it and not ask for sympathy.  Amazing how guys can know to ask for a ruling that their ball may be in a burrowing animal hole, or that it is on an ant hill, but not knowing to take your drop where your ball actually crossed  the hazard line....  puh-lease.

This isn't a game where "if the ref didn't see it, you skated away with one" applies.  And we aren't talking the obscure, "only ever referred to once a year" type infractions either.  

It's not foolproof, but my rule of thumb is this :  If a player says "yep, I did it, I deserve the penalty, I didn't know the rule, but I will take it", they probably did "break a rule."  Anyone who defends, deflects or otherwise tries to pass blame elsewhere.....they know exactly what they did.

4 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Breaking a rule, cheating.... Gotta say I lean to the side that says these are professionals, who should be expected to know the rules, and when they do err, own it and not ask for sympathy.  Amazing how guys can know to ask for a ruling that their ball may be in a burrowing animal hole, or that it is on an ant hill, but not knowing to take your drop where your ball actually crossed  the hazard line....  puh-lease.

This isn't a game where "if the ref didn't see it, you skated away with one" applies.  And we aren't talking the obscure, "only ever referred to once a year" type infractions either.  

It's not foolproof, but my rule of thumb is this :  If a player says "yep, I did it, I deserve the penalty, I didn't know the rule, but I will take it", they probably did "break a rule."  Anyone who defends, deflects or otherwise tries to pass blame elsewhere.....they know exactly what they did.

If a player knowingly breaks a rule then yes….its cheating.  But in the many cases over the years of “where did the ball last cross the hazard line” type of rules? It’s a matter of perspective, viewing angles.

Your example of  "yep, I did it, I deserve the penalty, I didn't know the rule, but I will take it" you think that’s cheating?  Tiger at the 13th at Augusta comes to mind.  Don’t recall the year.  Hit it off the flagstick and ricochet’s into the water.  Brain farted and moved back a couple yards on the original line and hit again.  Problem was he could have hit again from the exact same spot OR moved to where the ball LAST CROSSED and played from there.

He broke a rule but, to me, cheating implies intent.  Not all rule breaking is cheating.  

You do realize every penalty stroke is because of breaking a rule? Is every penalty stroke then because the player cheated?

3 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

If a player knowingly breaks a rule then yes….its cheating.  But in the many cases over the years of “where did the ball last cross the hazard line” type of rules? It’s a matter of perspective, viewing angles.

Your example of  "yep, I did it, I deserve the penalty, I didn't know the rule, but I will take it" you think that’s cheating?  Tiger at the 13th at Augusta comes to mind.  Don’t recall the year.  Hit it off the flagstick and ricochet’s into the water.  Brain farted and moved back a couple yards on the original line and hit again.  Problem was he could have hit again from the exact same spot OR moved to where the ball LAST CROSSED and played from there.

He broke a rule but, to me, cheating implies intent.  Not all rule breaking is cheating.  

You do realize every penalty stroke is because of breaking a rule? Is every penalty stroke then because the player cheated?

You call it a brain fart, I'd say a player is expected to know that replaying a shot means replaying that shot, not "dropping two yards back so I can get the right distance."  Although the committee was as guilty in that crapshow as him, but still.  He has probably replayed enough shots to know the rule.  And if I'm not mistaken, he a) couldn't play from where it last crossed because that pond was staked so that rolling back in means you have to play over it again, and b) the line his shot took removed his option to play because that line was already into the grandstand.  replaying was his only option IIRC.

And no, I said when a guy says that I am inclined to believe he simply messed up.  It's when they try to deflect that I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

13 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

You call it a brain fart, I'd say a player is expected to know that replaying a shot means replaying that shot, not "dropping two yards back so I can get the right distance."  Although the committee was as guilty in that crapshow as him, but still.  He has probably replayed enough shots to know the rule.  And if I'm not mistaken, he a) couldn't play from where it last crossed because that pond was staked so that rolling back in means you have to play over it again, and b) the line his shot took removed his option to play because that line was already into the grandstand.  replaying was his only option IIRC.

And no, I said when a guy says that I am inclined to believe he simply messed up.  It's when they try to deflect that I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

I’m not in the mood to argue.  Tiger could have played from the same spot as the previous OR gone over to the other side of the fairway to stay in line where it last crossed.  There was nothing to prevent that. Most often a shot that crosses the hazard the last spot crossed is also the first one.  That’s why Tiger thought moving back a step or two…or as far back as desired for that matter…was ok.  He was wrong.

Making an error is not cheating in my book but some, apparently, disagree.

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

Were you to pick up a shell (or any other small item) you would use two of your fingers. 

Cink was not "told the wrong thing by a Rules Official" . Cink (and every Tour pro ) knows that digging a trench behind the ball to create an improved lie is against the Rules. It does matter if the material is sand, shells, grass, mud, dirt, pine needles, flower petals etc... digging a trench behind a ball is a Rules violation. Had the Official (Slugger White) done his job properly he would have accompanied Cink to the ball in the waste bunker and with White watching Cink likely would not have dug the trench.

My best guess is that he arrived at his ball and saw there was debris behind it so he did what he did  because it was stressful sudden death playoff situation, and he wanted to win the tournament,  and he just lost his mind for a minute.

The time for Cink to make things right was following the round when he was shown a video of his actions, he could have admitted he made a mistake and taken a penalty.

Or, after seeing the video Slugger White could have at that time assessed a penalty on Cink, giving Purdy the tournament win. But White instead chose to cover up the whole thing because he did not want to answer questions about why he left Cink on the tee box rather than accompany him to the golf ball.