2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Small children and driving ranges

While warming up for a recent tourny a gentleman stepped up to the bay beside me, set some clubs down, left his two young daughters there while he went to get something else. By young I mean like 5 and 8. Okay no problem maybe he forogt to get a token right? a few minutes go by and his girls are starting to get real chatty, a little annoying while I'm trying to focus but hey they're kids right? So now its been like ten minutes and this tool is nowhere to be found, his girls are yammering away and I just had to step back for a minute to take it all in. Good thing I did because the 5 year old decides to mosey down the range. The guy is still nowhere in sight and nobody else semmed to notice so I felt obligated to say something to the girl before she gets whacked by a ball as the range was full of people practicing. Thankfully she listened to me and went back behind the bay. I hit a few more balls and eventually the dad shows back up. I wanted to say something to him but I was rather miffed at him for leaving his young kids like that and I didn't need the confrontation prior to my round.

Strange day indeed.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you my friend

I have issues with young kids on a golf course, much less a driving range and even more if they are not supervised.

There was a thread on here about three or four year olds joing dear old dad for a round.

Danger danger danger

What four year old knows to duck and cover for the word four?

Now at a range properly supervised I have no problem. On the course I think they need to be at least seven or eight and they need to understand what the game is about.

Trust me no one loves kids or wants them involved with the game more than I do . But there needs to be rules.

Recently at a muni i play frequently, two kids darted out right in front of me across the front of the 9th green. There's a path so neighbors can walk from there house to the pro shop, but the path turns and goes way around the back of the green. these two parent less kids ran straight across with out looking up the fairway, had they'd been there 25 seconds earlier I would have creamed one with my approach shot.

So i finish the hole and these 4 and 6 year old kids are still alone, and hanging out in the bar! I walked up to them and said nicely ( i have two kids a few years older) "you really need to look both ways before crossing the course just like it was a street. Maybe you should take the path."

The older one rolled her eyes and said "we do!" their parents showed up a few minutes later for drinks. The parents don't play golf but just drink at the bar. There basic response to me was "why don't i look before I hit! "

Maybe Darwinism will catch up with their gene pool some day...

"Please accept my resignation.
I don’t care to belong to any club that
will have me as a member".

During Easter Sunday, a family group brought their 3 young children ranging from 5-9 years old to the range to hit some balls. The adults gave the kids some small buckets of balls and let them use 3 bays, as they took a few photos of them trying to hit the ball. After a few minutes, the adults left them be, and stepped back and sat down about 15-20 feet away. The adults were so wrapped up in their conversation, they didn't notice that the kids started to run around their hitting areas, and wandered into each others designated hitting area. One of the kids wandered into the hitting bay of his friend in front of him as he was finishing up his forward swing and proceeded to hit the little boy upside the head. Fortunately the kid wasn't swinging hard, and the swing was towards the tail end of the arc and thus had little momentum. But it was enough to scratch the little boy upside the head, causing a small cut above his forehead.

The parents were so engrossed in their conversation that they didn't notice this, until after the boy walked up to them and pointed out that his head hurt. Needless to say the mom freaked out when she saw the blood trickling down his forehead, which in turned caused the little boy to be frightened and he began to cry. And of course, by this time all the other adults proceeded to freakout and start screaming they needed to rush him to the hospital. Of course they rushed off to take care of the little kid.

But get this, 15 minutes later, another group of kids with their parents showed up at the hitting bays behind me. The parents left their kids at the hitting bay to go get some balls, the kids were walking around started to wander off and cross the redline in front of the range. I noticed this in my peripheral vision, and grabbed the little boy before he could run farther off onto the range. Of course, the mom walks up as this happens and see's this and proceeds to freakout and yell at me. By now my patience is gone - so I let into her and the husband: That they need to teach their young childred the etiquette and safety concerns about being on a golf range. No straying beyond the safety lines, and no wandering into someone's hitting bay when they are swinging a golf club 60-90mph.

I felt like such a jerk afterwards, as it was one of those situations where I felt I was the only responsible one out there, that had any common sense.

I think it's great that these parents are teaching their kids how to swing a club and to get interested in golf. But for crying out loud, teach them how to be safe and not get hit by a club or golf ball. Sorry for the rant, but your post reminded me of that day.

I have taken my two sons to the course since they were old enough to stay quiet while everyone was swinging. They love the course and now being 7 and 9, they love to play. I don't take them out when the course is crowded or there are events going on, but we still make it out 3-4 days a week. If parents are going to bring a child to a course they must make sure the kids know some inkling of civil behavior. That includes letting them know how to act around people with clubs and what to do when you hear the word "fore". My boys know it is a treat to go to the course and are better behaved than most of the other members most of the time.

That father is a moron. I have my 2 sons (5 and 7) with me all the time. They never leave my sight. They have been taught about the dangers on the course and they act better on the course than most of the guys I play with. They are there to learn about all aspects of this game, not because I have to take them with me.

Just a side note my 7 yr. old plays in a 2 man golf league for work with me every week. He plays from the red tees, not modified junior tees. Last week we played the back nine and he 4 putted 18 for a double and still shot a 51. Man, that was frickin' sweet. Just had to share that.

These parents irresponsibility probably doesn't only exist on the the range, or course.

I live by a busy VERY busy road and there are very small children always playing in some grass areas ajacent to the road with no barriers and there are no parents around where I can see and if they were in my view they are not close enough do anything fast enough in case the kids wonder in the street.

I get P.O'd when I see this, I never let my sons out of my sight when outside, but they are very young. It's hard for me to swallow, but if I were to say anything to those kids the parents would probably call the police or something.

I grew up in the country where there was danger but not like the dangers of the city, couldn't imagine growing up not being able to run free, but you really can't unless at a park, where these people should be taking their children.

That father is a moron. I have my 2 sons (5 and 7) with me all the time. They never leave my sight. They have been taught about the dangers on the course and they act better on the course than most of the guys I play with. They are there to learn about all aspects of this game, not because I have to take them with me.

Just a side note my 7 yr. old plays in a 2 man golf league for work with me every week. He plays from the red tees, not modified junior tees. Last week we played the back nine and he 4 putted 18 for a double and still shot a 51. Man, that was frickin' sweet. Just had to share that.

seriously you play in a golf league with your seven year old?

I suppose you think the rest of the league is just fine with this , and playing golf with a seven year old is what the guys look forward to everyweek. You know that night they get away from their wife and kids.

This may seem harsh but I honestly feel for your playing partners.

Maybe Darwinism will catch up with their gene pool some day...

I felt like such a jerk afterwards, as it was one of those situations where I felt I was the only responsible one out there, that had any common sense.

Unfortuneatly we have gotten so wrapped up in batting helmets and seat belts and air bags that, in the words of George Carlin, "Nature can't do its job of killing off the weak and sickly and ignorant among us. Whatever happened to the kid that eats the most marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own? Natural selection. Call it passive eugenics."

Sometimes I think Carlin and I are the only ones that have any common sense. And everyday I am amazed that some people got to be the age that they are, but that brings us back to batting helmets and air bags. :clapping:

Little kids, fast white projectiles, and swinging metal sticks aren't a great combination. What bothers me the most about your story is he left 2 kids by themselves. I don't care where you are, you need to keep an eye on your kids for their protection and those around them. We don't need an Amber alert connected to golf.

I hear you my friend

I have issues with young kids on a golf course, much less a driving range and even more if they are not supervised.

There was a thread on here about three or four year olds joing dear old dad for a round.

Danger danger danger

Now at a range properly supervised I have no problem. On the course I think they need to be at least seven or eight and they need to understand what the game is about.

Trust me no one loves kids or wants them involved with the game more than I do . But there needs to be rules.

Totally agree. When I am at the range and I see children I watch them like a hawk. It stinks because it is distracting to me but their safety is more important. Some parents are selfish and clueless.

A driving range is dangerous for kids. I will same something or make sure they do not get in a dangerous position.

The gentleman who posted this topic related a very dangerous situation with those little ones. Their old man probably should have been taken in for child abuse and been given a warning by the cops or something.

Swinging metal clubs, balls flying at over 100 mph, lakes and ponds a young child could fall into or some weirdo abducting a child.

I am glad the gentleman posting here was watching these two little ones because it sure as hell looks like no one else was. ;)

I take my 5 and 7 y/o all the time. I will say I never leave their sides. If the dad was worth a crap he would never, ever, ever, leave young kids unattended...... anywhere for that matter...

I would have said something..I have zero patience for crap like that.

My girls know where to stand and even are aware not to talk to loud when someone is hitting. Although at the range it is not that important...I don't follow that "no noise" junk..if you need absolute quiet while hitting something is wrong. Sudden burst of noise yes....background noise...no

I hear you my friend

Danger danger danger

FORE*

Also, Im not a fan of kids either, and im only 19 years old. However my cousin had to bring his daughter with him 1 day long story. She sat in the cart and drove around.

SHE WAS AN ANGEL. The only thing that went wrong all day was she picked up her dads ball mark and he couldnt find it and she just LAUGHED AND LAUGHED haha it was great. Didnt matter though hes a Hack and loves playing with my father and myself.

They arent all rotten, just rotten parents that cant teach their children squat

kenk7us2002, I know its the internet, but you come off as a real know it all jerk. To paraphrase you: "I really feel for your kids" (if you have any)

To respond to your call out of "that guy who took his 3 year old out" I'm the guy

It might not have been my thread, but my 3 year old has been out for multiple rounds with me. At least 1-2 times a week we head out to an executive course and play 9 holes. Its only 1205 yards from the front tees and I pick times when the course is pretty open PLUS I'll call ahead to find out how crowded the course is.

That sometimes means we're playing at 7:00 am on a weekday or when its 45 degrees and about to rain on the weekends.

Yeah I still have to work on the finer points of golf like not walking through my line on the putting green and that you DON'T need to throw your ball back into the bunker after you've hit it out 3x.(he does like raking the traps though) But I'm convinced my 3 year old has a firmer grasp of the game and its etiquette then 75% of the golfers that normally fill the course. He will NOT hit into a group ahead of him because they are slow, he will NOT scream/make noise during someones backswing, he will NOT play out of turn, he DOES rake the traps after running through them, he DOES replace the pin after everyone has putted out, and he DOES NOT delay play in any way(the two of us can get 9 holes finished in just under 1 hour 15 minutes so there's NO way we're holding up play.)

As for the range, he's been there since 2 (well, actually since about birth but hitting since 2) The first thing is I always take the two farthest right stalls/bays and he always gets the last one, that way he's ALWAYS in front of me and never behind ANYONE, furthermore, when he's on the range its about HIM not me. I can go hit balls whenever, for him the range is a special treat that he only gets when he's done something good. Again we'll NEVER go to the range between the hours of 11:30 am and 1 pm when folks are on lunch or from 4-5:30 when folks get off from work.

Next at EVERY range session before we hit I'll set up like I'm going to hit, then turn around and tap him softly on the head with an iron to re-enforce the fact that if it hurts when I tap you, imagine how hard it would hurt if you got hit full swing. He's also been taught if on the occasion I decide to hit a ball he NEEDS to stand right next to my bag(again which is always placed IN front of me) If he decides to break any of these rules, we go straight home, and I have pulled him of the range twice for not following directions, and SHOCKINGLY once you do it twice, the kid figures out that: a. you are serious about the rules b. you will follow through if you break the rules and c. if I want to be on the range/course, I'd better follow directions.

So I'd like to ask you: Where are these kids going to learn the game if they don't get out on the course or go to the range? Where are they going to learn not to walk behind people while they're swinging, or that you shouldn't talk/make noise during someones backswing, or to rake out bunkers/replace divots/fix pitch marks.... ie the proper etiquette if NOBODY does it when they're young?

Obviously leaving your child on the range unattended is stupid, moronic, and downright dangerous. I don't think anyone is going to argue that point, but kids should be on the golf course at a young age to get them hooked.

For those of you that don't have kids yet.....I will assure you that when you do, and you take your son or daughter out to the range, or course. You will feel a feeling like no other, when they step up there w/ a face full of concentration, whiff a few times, look back at you w/ that look on their face, you give them some pointers, they step back up and hit one 10-20 yards straight down the middle, and then turn to you and say "that's how it's done daddy".....it's a special thing.

For those of you who say leave the kids at home....screw you. If my playing partners have a problem, I'll just fine ones that don't. No arrogant a-hole is going to tell me that I shouldn't be taking them to the course to learn the game.

The other day my wife starts telling me about a co-worker who took his 5 yr old son and and one of the kid's little friends to the driving range. I interupt her and say, "let me guess, one of the kids got whacked and hurt" She's like, "how'd you know?" (she's not a golfer)

I tell her one adult, two little kids at a range = recipe for disaster.

Turns out worse than I thought, the little guy that got whacked may lose or have impaired eyesight in one eye.

Be Careful out there.

kenk7us2002, I know its the internet, but you come off as a real know it all jerk. To paraphrase you: "I really feel for your kids" (if you have any)

To respond to your call out of "that guy who took his 3 year old out" I'm the guy

It might not have been my thread, but my 3 year old has been out for multiple rounds with me. At least 1-2 times a week we head out to an executive course and play 9 holes. Its only 1205 yards from the front tees and I pick times when the course is pretty open PLUS I'll call ahead to find out how crowded the course is.

That sometimes means we're playing at 7:00 am on a weekday or when its 45 degrees and about to rain on the weekends.

Yeah I still have to work on the finer points of golf like not walking through my line on the putting green and that you DON'T need to throw your ball back into the bunker after you've hit it out 3x.(he does like raking the traps though) But I'm convinced my 3 year old has a firmer grasp of the game and its etiquette then 75% of the golfers that normally fill the course. He will NOT hit into a group ahead of him because they are slow, he will NOT scream/make noise during someones backswing, he will NOT play out of turn, he DOES rake the traps after running through them, he DOES replace the pin after everyone has putted out, and he DOES NOT delay play in any way(the two of us can get 9 holes finished in just under 1 hour 15 minutes so there's NO way we're holding up play.)

As for the range, he's been there since 2 (well, actually since about birth but hitting since 2) The first thing is I always take the two farthest right stalls/bays and he always gets the last one, that way he's ALWAYS in front of me and never behind ANYONE, furthermore, when he's on the range its about HIM not me. I can go hit balls whenever, for him the range is a special treat that he only gets when he's done something good. Again we'll NEVER go to the range between the hours of 11:30 am and 1 pm when folks are on lunch or from 4-5:30 when folks get off from work.

Next at EVERY range session before we hit I'll set up like I'm going to hit, then turn around and tap him softly on the head with an iron to re-enforce the fact that if it hurts when I tap you, imagine how hard it would hurt if you got hit full swing. He's also been taught if on the occasion I decide to hit a ball he NEEDS to stand right next to my bag(again which is always placed IN front of me) If he decides to break any of these rules, we go straight home, and I have pulled him of the range twice for not following directions, and SHOCKINGLY once you do it twice, the kid figures out that: a. you are serious about the rules b. you will follow through if you break the rules and c. if I want to be on the range/course, I'd better follow directions.

So I'd like to ask you: Where are these kids going to learn the game if they don't get out on the course or go to the range? Where are they going to learn not to walk behind people while they're swinging, or that you shouldn't talk/make noise during someones backswing, or to rake out bunkers/replace divots/fix pitch marks.... ie the proper etiquette if NOBODY does it when they're young?

Obviously leaving your child on the range unattended is stupid, moronic, and downright dangerous. I don't think anyone is going to argue that point, but kids should be on the golf course at a young age to get them hooked.

I think around eight is a good age for kids to begin learning even then they need lots of supervision.

So you're telling me that your three year old hears four and he knows to cover his head and duck yet he is just barely potty trained?

As the kid in the thread above that might loose and eye.

Because I am concerned with the safety of these kids I am a jerk. Because I have seen parents and small children on the course and on the range and it is a recipe for disaster.

If that makes me a jerk so be it.

Three is still too young in my opinion

I suppose you think the rest of the league is just fine with this , and playing golf with a seven year old is what the guys look forward to everyweek. You know that night they get away from their wife and kids.

Well, there are about thirty guys from work in this league. Outside of myself and maybe 3 others its hackers night out! The only thing you should be sympathizing with them is the fact that they just got waxed by a 7 yr. old. My son is learning the way this game should be played, with honor and respect. Which is alot more than I can say for most of the guys in the league. Not to mention the fact the competitive experience he is gaining from this. If I honestly believed he was a disctraction to the others, he would not be there.

laseranimal & king Bogey, very well stated and I couldn't agree more!

I have 3 kids ( 11 - 4 ) and we go to the range all the time. I'm fortunate enough to have a facility by me that is designed specifically for kids to learn the game. They have all been taught how to act on the range as well as the course and like laseranimal stated, when they don't follow the rules, we go home! Doesn't matter if we've been there for 5 minutes or 50 minutes. When we go to the range, it's for them to hit and learn and I'll stand back to watch. They're not "church mice" by any means of the imigaination, but they're also not as obnoxious as some teen agers there just screwing around. If they do get a little louder than normal, I will have them stop and apologize to anyone near by if necessary. I then explain to them that some people are there working on their games and trying to concentrate. I have never had any problems with this approach.

As far as going to the course, I have had my 11yr old & 7yr old to the course on several occasions, the 4yr old should make his first trip this summer. With the three of us, we can finish 9 holes in roughly 90 minutes. I have had my daughter (7yr old) pick up when she reaches "double par" so we don't hold things up. In the 8 - 10 times we played last year, she only had to do this 5x's. They do not take multiple practice strokes, or run around and not pay attention while they're out there. They are also doing a much better job on the green, where to stand, etc.

My kids are not perfect by any means, but, they are far better behaved than some of the adults that I have encountered on the course. They need to learn the game and ettiquete at some point. I think the earlier thet learn it, the better the game will be. It does require the parents/guardians to be responsible for this.

For the select few that have a problem with kids on the course, I hope you're not the ones in front of our group slowing down play !

As for the point that the OP stated the "Parent" left two small kids unattended, this is completey irresponsible on many levels.

sorry for the rant !

I take my 5 and 7 y/o all the time. I will say I never leave their sides. If the dad was worth a crap he would never, ever, ever, leave young kids unattended...... anywhere for that matter...

I would have said something..I have zero patience for crap like that.

My girls know where to stand and even are aware not to talk to loud when someone is hitting. Although at the range it is not that important...I don't follow that "no noise" junk..if you need absolute quiet while hitting something is wrong. Sudden burst of noise yes....background noise...no

+1

I started taking my 4 yr old daughter to the range since she was 3. It's a little pitch-and-putt 9-hole course, all par 3's including a small range. The course is a very "family" oriented place, a great place to learn golf and take the kids out. There is another course closer to our place but I"m hesitant to take her there until she's about 10-11, it's more of the adult course. Although, I've never taken her on the course-- we always hit the range on Wednesdays and take the farthest bay on the right. She's very, very familiar with the rules: stay in the bay/mat unless she needs to go potty or would like to sit down, never ever go on the "grass" (hitting area), and most importantly no running. After a good session of hitting balls, we hit the putting green and watch a few people tee off on the first hole.

I guess my point is -- it boils down to the parent's responsibility on setting a foundation for safety and the child's understanding. There is nothing wrong with kids being in the range while they are supervised by responsible parents, I think we all can agree. But then again-- the subject of responsibility is subjective. The OP said the parent left their kids for several minutes, that could be the parent's definition of responsibility or just plain ole' no common sense but it's viewed differently by other parent's.

Just my .02, take it for what it's worth--- FREE.

So you're telling me that your three year old hears four and he knows to cover his head and duck yet he is just barely potty trained?

Because I am concerned with the safety of these kids I am a jerk. Because I have seen parents and small children on the course and on the range and it is a recipe for disaster.

nope he doesn't know to duck and cover, thus the reason for playing at uncrowded times, when the two of us are out we are often the ONLY ones on the course.

I see your point though, but we're not talking about a Par 72 18 hole course with adjoining fairways where some 30 capper could lose a drive right and smack someone, this is just a 1205 yard par 27 pitch and putt. Sure there's a possibility someone on the 278 yard 3rd hole could hit a 260 yard slice which would take out my three year old standing on the first green, but knowing the clientèle that populate the course(mostly women, seniors, and newbies), the only people that have the distance reach that "hot zone" are more likely to hit 3-4-5 irons since the fairway is only 15 yards wide and has OB on the left and water on the right. Every other tee box and green is placed far enough out of harms way that I'm not too terribly worried about a stray shot.

As for falling INTO the water hazard, my kid has been in the water since 6 weeks and learned to swim by himself at 2.5.

As others have said, there are some courses that are generally more "Family Friendly" then others.

If that makes me a jerk so be it.

your call not mine :good: You're opinion is definitely valid, you seem like you're a pretty good player and are looking out for the well being of the kids and thats GREAT. I'm just saying that should you ever make it to Upstate NY I'm offering you and open invitation to come out and play a round with us ;)

They're not "church mice" by any means of the imigaination, but they're also not as obnoxious as some teen agers there just screwing around.

Speaking of which, I was in Golfsmith recently demoing drivers. In the bay next to me were a couple teenagers who had no business there. During my backswing one of them walked right out in front of me. Luckily I was able to stop my swing without hurting myself. That kid could have been very seriously injured. It doesn't matter what the age, it's all about what the kids have been taught.

Let me guess...

1. You have no kids or one of the reasons you play to get away from them.

2. His kids 51 beat half the field.

Your instinct is correct, you are being harsh.

Sometimes when the crowds die down just before dark I take my daughter, 21 months, out and we hit some wedges and putt. I have to help her of course. I cut down a 5 iron, Vokey wedge, and a whitehot putter to fit her. She loves it! She is aways carrying her little bag of clubs around the house and wanting to go out in the lawn to mess around with them. I know she is to young to know what she is doing, but as long as she is having fun, I will have a blast with it.

• 2 weeks later...

My son is 3 1/2 right now and we go to the range every couple weeks for some father-son time. He will make his first trip to a golf course at the end of July when we go visit grandpa and go to his course. For the folks that think kids shouldn't be on golf courses or practice ranges you obviously have no kids or do not like being around your kids. Now, if someone leaves them unsupervised that is one thing but a supervised child is fine in my book. My son loves to play golf. He practices everyday in our back yard and the range and practice green are special times for him. I wouldn't trade it for anything.