2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Should the tee break after a drive?

Tiger's tee just spins up and back out of the ground.
I am just wondering if the tee should crack or break after a correct drive? I see that many pros are able to pick the ball right off if not spin the tee backwards up in the air.

New drivers should be hit high on the face, in that case, all tees should break after a correct drive right? Tell me what you guys think.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be a spoiled sport, but a tee is a tee is a tee. Three prongs, brush, whatever. Personally I use a tee with a blue band so I can have a consistent height with every tee off, or if I want, I can use it to tee lower when it's windy consistently as well. Sometimes it breaks, sometimes it doesn't. Don't worry about the dang tee, worry about the dang ball. In fact, you shouldn't worry so much about the ball as much as your swing, the ball should just get in the way.

get some zero frictions, they will last you forever

I found a Zero Friction tee the other day and I've used it for two rounds now with hardly any signs of wear. I drew a red line at the spot I want to tee it to with a sharpie and it's perfect every time. The ground's firmness is what breaks the tee on a driver shot. That's all.... Get some Zero frictions. I did at dick's for $5.99 last night.

It's very simple really, the longer the tee is placed into the ground and the firmer the conditions, then it is more likely from any "solid" strike with a driver that the tee will break. Consider this: for a proper "sweet" hit on any modern 460cc driver, the bottom of the ball will be about 1/2" clear of the sole of the club. Therefore, the driver face must make contact with the tee with the full force of the swing for any reasonable drive hit on the face of the club. IF the tee is not contacted by the club, then you've either topped the ball with a 460cc driver and you should take two weeks off and then quit for good, OR you've hit a worm burner and you should take two weeks off and then take a series of lessons.

IF you really want to never break a tee, just use one that barely breaks into the ground. No resistance to force = no breakage.

Tim

wooden tees break every time on my drives - virtually every time.

have ya'll found the zero friction and brush tees to afford any performance benefits (other than consistent tee height and durability)?

I've known good players who swear UP and DOWN that the zero friction tees impart side-spin if not lined up a certain way...reminds me of the old proV1 myth about the alignment part. I personally like the zero friction ones and I'll use them when I find them until one of the prongs breaks off (usually about 2 rounds).

Cheers,

Tim

Are those the ones with the three prongs on top vs. the "cup"?

If so, how durable are they? Seems pricey for tees unless they're indestructable...

-mini

I just bought a pack, $5.99 I think for about 50 of them? Maybe less. Either way, I think it's the last time I'll have to buy T's... I tried breaking one by snapping it, it just bent.

have ya'll found the zero friction and brush tees to afford any performance benefits (other than consistent tee height and durability)?

I use the brush tees...maybe gained a few yards, but I think it's more to do with having consistent height than any performance issues. My drives still find the left and right parts of the FW on occasion. They sure are durable though, bought a set November '07.....still going strong, have about 25 rounds with them.

If so, how durable are they? Seems pricey for tees unless they're indestructable...

-mini

Indestructable. I've broken 2 or 3 out of a 25 pack in the last 7-8 months. A pack of 25 is looking to last me 4-5 years at this rate. I could give a crap about the "zero friction" part of it, total BS IMO, just easier to have 1 tee in my pocket and use it the whole round. Plus it beats having to buy tees every few weeks, usually for $1 for a 10 pack at the course.

-mini

I use the zero friction tees & they're really good. Can't beat not having to look for new tees all the time... just dig it out of my pocket or golf cart. I usually throw the one I used away after 1 or 2 rounds, as either the prongs start getting all chipped or the tee starts bending a bit too much on one side, thus, both instances make placing the ball on the tee a bit more annoying than it should be.

Yes, they're durable, but not "indestructible".

If I remember correctly, I think a pack of 50 tees cost $6 for the 2 3/4" size & 35 tees (I think it cost a bit more?) for the 3 1/4" size. Not too bad.

P.S. - Oops... by the way, I don't think it really matters whether u break the tees or not (IMO)...

If you tee the ball high with the modern deep faced drives you will break a few more tees than if you use a more shallow faced driver, IMO, simply because the the bottom of the clubhead will hit the tee and break it. If you sweep the ball off the tee and don't make contact with the tee it wont break as often. What I would really worry about is if you are hitting the sweet spot on the driver, if you are then don't worry about it. If you are popping the ball up then you have issues.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

In my experience, if I am breaking tees then I am doing something wrong. If the ground is real hard, then I don't worry about it so much but otherwise it indicates to me that I'm doing something wrong.

One time, after I hit my drive the tee popped straight up out of the ground and I hit it with my clubhead on the backswing. I didn't know I'd done until I couldn't find the tee and my playing partners told me. Found the tee at front of the tee box.

I've broken almost every kind of tee I've tried... yes even brush tee. Recently broke one of those callaway Eterne-tee or whatever they call them. It's missing teeth now inside of 3 rounds. The only tee that lasted past 5 rounds was that orange unbreakable tee, guess what I lost it ;)

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I've known good players who swear UP and DOWN that the zero friction tees impart side-spin if not lined up a certain way...reminds me of the old proV1 myth about the alignment part. I personally like the zero friction ones and I'll use them when I find them until one of the prongs breaks off (usually about 2 rounds).

Cheers,

Tim

Huh, I must be getting lucky then. I've been using them a while and haven't hit a slice in the last 600 or so tee shots.

For those of you who expressed a need for consistent tee height, try the ones with the colored bands near the bottom. I get them at pga superstore. Different length tees have different colors, some yellow, some green, some blue, etc. This is a very easy and cheap way to get the same tee height every time. For me, I buy the ones that are the second to longest (I think 2 3/4 if I remember properly but not sure) for my driver, and then I stick them in the ground until I can just barely see a little of the blue color above the ground.

Cheers,

Tim

Huh, I must be getting lucky then. I've been using them a while and haven't hit a slice in the last 600 or so tee shots.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I read an internet ad about the zero tees that one prong should be aimed at the direction of the target. So, since there's 3 prongs, 1 should point ft. to the target and the other 2 should be on the sides of the ball. I don't know if this really helps or not... just stating what I read.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I read an internet ad about the zero tees that one prong should be aimed at the direction of the target. So, since there's 3 prongs, 1 should point ft. to the target and the other 2 should be on the sides of the ball. I don't know if this really helps or not... just stating what I read.

I have heard this as well, reading that because that means there is only 1 prong that the ball has to go across as it leaves the tee, thus minimizing friction. I am not the one, however, to even begin to say whether that is true or not.

But I've never read much into whether or not a tee breaks, by itself. The only time I read into the tee breaking or not is if I balloon driver. If the tee snaps, then I've probably teed it up too high.

Some times on iron shots ill catch some of the thick cup on wooden tees that really grab the club and that causes a weak a** shot that hits the front of the green. so i have only seen a difference in irons with the zero friction tees. No idea about the brush ones though