Sonocaddie V300 vs Golf Guru

Please help me decide...
Hi Guys,

I am fascinated with what you can do with the V300 and unlike some, I want all the data and features that it provides. I do have some give and take as all my desires are superceded by reliability, durability and CS.

Thus, I am torn between it and the Golf Guru. Yes, I know the price different -- I don't care. Yes, I know the color and customization differences. Other than color and data, the V300 has game stats. These 3 are the main functional differences between the 2.

What do you guys think?

There are great GG reviews here...any for the V300? I'm looking more for horror stories than praise.

Both are available at Amazon today.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the vx2 and prefer it over the Guru. It is so much easier to modify targets. I've used them side by side and the mark functions come out to the same distance, maybe only a few yards off.

I would say the Guru has better reception if you like to put it in your pocket. I just hang mine off my bag and take it off if I need to carry it so I don't have a problem. I would think the v300 would have improved reception.

If money is not a problem I would get the Sono or wait for reviews on the upro. The ease of modifying targets on the Sonocaddie makes it so much simpler to use.

I have had nothing but problems with the Golf Guru. Courses they mapped for me are incomplete (two months have gone by and they still have not corrected that problem for me); attempts to self map or modify courses have caused the courses to become corrupted and unusable and all the time spent mapping wasted. With each revision of the software they claim the problems are fixed. I have not found that to be the case. According to the people at Golf Guru, I may be the only one out of "thousands" who is having any problems. I will say they are responsive, at least they get back to you relatively quickly with emails full of apologies but no "fixes".

Thanks guys for your replies. I will be ordering the V300 from Amazon tonight.

L.A.B. Golf DF3

If you are willing to wait a little, another option would be the Golf Buddy Pro. I just got it yesterday and seems like a very good unit. However, I am a little concerned about the accuracy. I just posted a mini-review on another thread but if the accuracy is fine this may be a great unit too. I'll report later if accuracy is a concern on the course, I have only turned it on outside my house and there are many trees..

Thanks golf_fanatik but I already ordered it. I have seen the Golf Buddy Pro at my local Golfsmith and I considered it. I rationalized however, that for $50 more, I'd get all the features of the V300. I think the GB Pro is overpriced by about $50.

L.A.B. Golf DF3

I'm able to get my hands on just about any device. I've tried them all and used the Golf Buddy plus today. The course info is about the best. Every course I play has as many points and sometimes more than the SCaddie. With the ability to modify points without exiting play, imo, you can't beat it. The only concern I have with it is the receiver. You really cannot put it in your pocket as it will lose signal, but will acquire again in around 10 -20 seconds. When I kept it on my bag I didn't have a problem.

The Sono VX2 and GB+ were similar in reception. I think the buddy was mapped better though. I hope they have improved the gps in the newer units. I wish I could get my hands on a GB pro to see if reception improved.

fanatik, have you tried getting a signal and putting it in your pocket or just tested? How big is it, doesn't say on site.

Wow, just read the manual on the V300. It's an electronic geek's dream.

Gsco,

I live in Seattle and yesterday I tried the GB Pro on the course. It took about 5 minutes to pick up the signal. A little faster than the skycaddies but definitely slower than the guru. The GB has 12 channels and you normally need about 7 sats to get reliable information based on my limited testing.

On a "typical" overcast afternoon I didn't have a problem picking up at least 9 signals. I put it in my pocket and I would lose about 2 signals. The GB also comes with a little holster that you can clip to your belt or your bag.

The form factor is similar to the SG 3/4 but it is smaller. I was comparing the dimensions yesterday with the SG2.5 and they are similar.

About 4.5" wide x 2.5" tall x 1" thick.. These are approximate measurements since I don't have it with me right now. The screen is 2" (diagonally measured).

I was thinking of getting the GB Tour with the color screen but the B/W screen in the pro is more than enough. Easier to read outdoors than the guru in my opinion and it has a backlight for really dark conditions.

My concern yesterday was the accuracy but I am impressed so far. The greens were very well mapped on the single course I tested it yesterday and the number of targets was great.

Three downsides compared to the guru:

1.- You cannot map the greens. You can add only F/B/C and targets obviously.

2.- The stats tracking module is more comprehensive on the guru (at least in paper). With the GB you can only track strokes..

3.- Although my limited interaction with GB's customer service was satisfactory, I'm sure it is not up to the Guru standards. However, it is better than Skycaddie though.

Overall I like to think of the GB Tour/Pro as a good compromise between the Guru and the Skycaddies.

Wow, just read the manual on the V300. It's an electronic geek's dream.

Exactly. That would describe me to almost to the letter. ;)

L.A.B. Golf DF3

2.- The stats tracking module is more comprehensive on the guru (at least in paper). With the GB you can only track strokes..

3.- Although my limited interaction with GB's customer service was satisfactory, I'm sure it is not up to the Guru standards. However, it is better than Skycaddie though.

Overall I like to think of the GB Tour/Pro as a good compromise between the Guru and the Skycaddies.

1. That is only important if the course is not available for download in the database, or, as I found with the Golf Guru, the greens were inaccurate in terms of shape or orientation to the fairway.

2. Used the stat tracking on the Guru one time and never used it again. Too basic. If expanded it might be a nice feature.

3. I once thought Golf Guru's CS was outstanding, but there is more to customer service than just answering questions, you need to provide help and solutions. Only used SkyCaddie's CS one time and it was excellent for me.

I was just browsing the Sonocaddie website and saw that the required system is Windows XP/Vista/etc. Does that mean that it won't work with a Mac?

If it doesn't say Mac, it doesn't support it natively. Use Parallels or VMware to install Windows on your Mac and all will be well.

L.A.B. Golf DF3

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't found one that I wanted to keep. They all have their +'s and -'s. I'm going to try the Upro and maybe the V300 next week. If they don't cut the mustard I'm done and will just stick with the SG 2.5.

If and when you do please please let us know your thoughts. I'm torn between the SG5, the V300, and the uPro myself and not really in a position to test them all.

Have you tried your Sonocaddie v300 on the course yet? If so, what did you think? It looks pretty sweet.

Unfortunately no. I received it but I haven't taken it to the course yet. The most I've done is put courses in. Sonocaddie has a special -- download all you want until June 30th for free. I'm download all courses that I even have the slightest inclination of going to. I should just download every course on the east coast.

Be on the look out for my review.

L.A.B. Golf DF3

My V300 was delivered on June 2nd. I have played three rounds with it at two courses. So far it has been great. I have had one hole that was off by approx. 9 yards but I quickly fixed it on the fly. I really like the real layout and the easy to read screen. I am very happy with the purchase so far. As I play more courses I can expand. I have not had to charge the battery yet in three rounds. It is still showing full charge so I am very excited. The quality of the GPS used in this unit appears better than the V2 because I have never been below 8 signals with this unit compared to floating around 5-8 on the V2.

1. That is only important if the course is not available for download in the database, or, as I found with the Golf Guru, the greens were inaccurate in terms of shape or orientation to the fairway.

2. Used the stat tracking on the Guru one time and never used it again. Too basic. If expanded it might be a nice feature.

3. I once thought Golf Guru's CS was outstanding, but there is more to customer service than just answering questions, you need to provide help and solutions. Only used SkyCaddie's CS one time and it was excellent for me.

I just bought a Guru and could not be happier. Everything works. I have found no problems. Yesterday I actually mapped a course as I played it with my foursome in under four hours, and we all walk - it is literally that easy to map a course with this device! I am coming from an iGolf Caddie. The Guru is so much faster, more accurate, and easier to use that there is no comparison.

It is early in the life of this device and this company, so there are bound to be hiccups along the way. Some people do not have the disposition to buy into the leading edge of something new. I came at it with the expectation that I would have some problems, and so far I have been delighted with my purchase and the help I have received from the Golf Guru support people.

• 1 year later...

I already have a Laser Link and Bushnell 1500, but recently bought a Sonocaddie V300 because GPS has the advantage of measuring a blind shot. After using it on my two home courses, I'm disappointed in it. Very few of the course hazards such as creeks, barrancas, lay-up spots etc. are marked on the course layouts, only a few fairway bunkers. My playing partner has a Skycaddie and the information given is much more comprehensive. I'll have to try a few more courses to see if this is true of all their course information, but I find it a disappointment so far.

I already have a Laser Link and Bushnell 1500, but recently bought a Sonocaddie V300 because GPS has the advantage of measuring a blind shot. After using it on my two home courses, I'm disappointed in it. Very few of the course hazards such as creeks, barrancas, lay-up spots etc. are marked on the course layouts, only a few fairway bunkers. My playing partner has a Skycaddie and the information given is much more comprehensive. I'll have to try a few more courses to see if this is true of all their course information, but I find it a disappointment so far.

That is one of the reasons I went with the Golf Guru, the ability to totally map a course, including the outline of the greens, or modify existing courses (again including the greens of they have changed) and to add my own meaningful waypoints, hide some that don't come into play for me, etc. I am curious as to how that functionality will work with the new Guru 4 which provides a graphic depiction of the hole similar to the V300.

I looked at Sonocaddie's and GG's units. They were all ok but offered something different. In the end, I chose a uPro, and I'm very happy I made that choice. It can be had for $250-300 with the current rebate. Though I thought I'd be disappointed by the cost of pro-mode courses, I'm not. I cannot see a reason to need every course in pro-mode anyway. In fact, the only real reason for pro-mode to me is either you just want it because it can be had or you're playing somewhere that you don't play often and want to be able to score well despite never seeing or walking the course. That said, there are several websites (I use www.golfflyover.com) that show course aerials so there's no real need for me to see them while I'm playing. It was very accurate, fast sat acquisition, and gave distances to greens and hazard inside 50 yards (which many units don't).

Best of all, non-pro mode courses are free. That means access to all the courses in the Callaway map library. Though you'd probably have to install a 16 or 32 gig microSD card to store more than the included 1 gig card allows, I don't see a reason to have every course available on my unit anyway. I'm not going to play every course in the U.S. or the world (it would take 60 years to play all 22k worldwide at 1 per day), making the free regular courses even more sensible.

Any of the units you're looking at are nice, but price-features was a no-brainer for uPro to me. I also really enjoy that it's small. I've played with it in my pocket, and there was no issue - like it wasn't even there.

I almost went with the Garmin unit until I saw that uPro was just so easy to use and small. The Garmin is too bulky for my pocket carrying preference.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='odieaxp' post='1860893' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:23 AM']Is it possible to edit the green or do you have to add a second green. One hole at a course I play was way off. I added a second green with the correct information but I would rather correct the existing green.??? :black eye:[/quote]
There are slots for the existing green on the edit page, and I would imagine you could edit the distance. But I haven't had to try this. Let us know how it works if you try it. The more I think about it, that would be a necessity, so I'm sure you can, because sono has thought of pretty much everything on this device.... Ok, you made me check, yes it has 2 reference points for the green on the edit page. Record the front and back of green.