2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Updated signature!!!...

Simp

I just stepped off of the launch monitor with my trusty TaylorMade R510TP with Fuji 757 stiff and a Cleveland Launcher Comp with the Aldila NV 65-S. The results were quite shocking! FWIW, my handicap is around a 1. I hit the 510TP better than any other driver I've hit to date. After this launch monitor session the TP will be collecting dust for a loooong time I'm afraid. With the TP, my carry distance was 255 yards and the clubhead speed was 105 +/-. With the Launcher/NV65-S combination my clubhead speed jumped up to 120 +/- and the carry distance is over 280. As a matter of fact, the very first ball that I hit with the Launcher/NV65-S carried 310 yards.

I thought this was a fluke so I teed up 8 more balls and they were all over 280 yards up to 305 yards. I wasn't swinging out of my shoes either. This is what scared me! Same swing with the TP resulted in a 255 yard carry while the Launcher/NV65-S was over 280. I never thought I'd find a driver that was better than the 510TP/Fuji 757 combo but it looks like I did. I think I can smell a 757 about to be pulled! Simp

Ps: BTW, the 460 Comp followed me home!

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats, if by pulled you mean to be stuck into your comp i frankly wouldnt do that. The shaft really is the key so if you didnt hit the comp with the speeder on the launch monitor who knows what will happen. Part of the reason your swing speed jumped and you were able to hit it farther is the kick point of the NV is different than the speeder as is the flex. The speeder tends to play very stiff and the torque is relatively low. If you pull it keep the NV around jic bc IMO never a good idea to change something that works, so if the NV works i wouldnt switch it.

Sorry for the confusion :). I wouldn't dare touch it! I was thinking along the lines of pulling the 757 and putting an NV in there and selling the 757. You're correct in that the kickpoint is alot different. With the 757 it seems to be stiffer and have less feel than the NV. I really liked the way the NV felt. The results far exceded my expectations. Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Yeah the NV is a great shaft, I used to play it but with everything that i do to my shafts and the time i spend practicing found them to be oddly brittle. A year and a half ago i broke 4 of them in a month and as great a shaft as it was i finally said enough is enough so i sent it back to aldila once again and they sent me another and i just finally stopped using it. The playing characteristics are great just couldnt have drivers breaking on me all the time especially since 3 of em broke during tournaments. The one thing ill say is that with the comp your going to have a more forgiving club with a little better distance on mishits just bc of the fact that its so much larger a head than the r510 tp. good luck with the new driver and enjoy.

well wed have to know all the specs, overall length, weight of the club etc. 15 seems odd however if he is able to swing harder at it bc its lighter, the club is longer, and he feels more comfortable over it its not wholey impossible.

Simp, as for the breakage, i doubt youll have that problem. I was playing the 95 x that had been tipped a lot, bout an inch or so, and then cut down to 44 inches overall length. The club flexed out at about a double x and was in a very deep bored driver head. The smt nemesis which has a deeper than standard bore depth so the tip was very stiff after having it cut to make it stiffer plus the depth of the bore. Hitting it so many times it just began to put serious stress on the tips of the shafts and they started breaking near the tips and cracking up the shaft. Enjoy the club and keep em long and straight.

Pretty sure no club would make your clubhead speed jump 15mph. Simply not possible. I'd say it requires minimum 30% more energy to go from 105-120mph. I can do the calculation if you want. :blink:

Hey man, I thought the same thing! The guy that was running the monitor even thought it was a bit odd, and if I had done this with only one swing/ball then I would write it off as a fluke, but it was with 8 consecutive balls. I believe that the monitor is accurate because I've been there 3 times hitting drivers and the speeds have all been about the same (swing speed, ball speed, carry distance) with the 510TP that I have. I even switched back to the 510TP after I hit the 120mph mark on the clubhead speed because I really didn't believe it and neither did the guy that was running the monitor.

I told him that the 510TP was averaging 255 yards of carry and the first shot that I hit was 253 yards. I then realized that the monitor was accurate and that it had to be the driver/shaft combination. How it did, it I can't begin to tell you but the numbers were what they were. I'm tempted to go back down there and try it again but $30 every time I show up and not to mention running the risk of looking like a stalker :).

As far as specs of the club are concerned, I can't tell you what they are. I have no way of measuring how much the club weighs but it is about 1/2 inch longer than the TP and it does feel slightly lighter than the TP as well. If you tell me exactly what measurements you'll need I'll try to get them for you at the local golf shop. Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

well i know your shaft measurements as the fact that i know the two shafts your playing. the 65 is approximately 10 grams lighter than the 757 in an s flex. the cleveland comp head is also far lighter than the r510tp as it is a composite head. the 1/2 inch is probly part of the reason you gained distance as well as the ligher weight. the loft could also effect this as if you find an optimal loft it will carry farther than an improper lofted club. many of these factors will contribute to the lengthening of the distance of your drives.

Ive messed around with a friends 510 tp just to see what the results were vs my mizuno 400cc and they we almost identical. I kinda liked the feel of the speeder a little bit better because it is heavier, but i still love the mizuno. And i have a 115 mph swing speed. I havent seen anything make your swing speed jump up like that unless u were using one of those 45 gram shafts. about 18 grams of weight is a big difference, but not that big of a difference.

you know what, i believe it. i believe in the club head speed gain. i compared a graf. blue to a nv-65, both stiff in ignite 460 10.5 and i was 8 mph faster with the nv-65, and 15 yards longer. the nv loads better for me than the graf. blue. i've only used a speeder in a 905s and loved it, but i've always felt shafts play different in titleist drivers than other drivers.

i would say another increase in the distance gain besides the increase in speed is the heads. i'm not saying the launcher is hotter, but i guarntee the sweet spot is larger and that is contributing to the distance.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

That's what I think as well. The shaft/clubhead combination is just (man I really hate to say this) that much better than the 510TP/757 combo. Oh well, the TP was fun while it lasted. Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Always good to find the right shaft for you !!! If this combination works, leave it alone. I pulled an NV 65 out of my G5 for a Grafalloy Comp NT 65 and gained about 10 yards - go figure? This combination works perfectly for me and may not for others. Again, if you have found the magic stick - Leave It Alone and enjoy the results.

TaylorMade M2 (9.5*)
Exotics CB5 (15*)
TM Rescue TP (19*)
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged (4-GW)
PING Anser Forged (54*,58*)
PING Vintage Pal 2 (35")

I can say I hit about 15 drivers when I got fit. Including the cleveland comp with NV 65-S, and the R5 w/757 that I have. My SS varied between 109-115, and it varied in about the same range with each club. I had some good swings and some not so good swings with each. Let course will be the final deciding factor. :)