2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Riffle 6.0 and project x 5.5

Konakid67

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the mistake of order 6.0 PXs in my most recent cally iron set, thinking they were just like 6.0 rifles. They're quite a bit stiffer. Like going from S-300 to X-100.

No big deal if you're a low hanidcapper who can rip it, but def. an issue for my swing(speed).

The 5.5s in my PINGS feel more like 6.0 rifles.

I'm thinking of playing safe and just putting oldschool 6.0 rifles in the Callys.

I play a rifle 6.0 every day, i tried a couple of 5 irons shafted with the px one with a 5.5 and one with a 6.0 px. when I say tried, I don't mean I just demoed them, i take took them to the range with me for about a week. The 5.5 px still feels stiffer to me than the 6.0 rifle. I ended up staying with the 6.0 rifle.

I generally test my swing speed with 6 irons. I play 675B snake eyes with 6.0 rifle at 97mph. From what I am told the 5.5 will be good as it has a lower ball flight as I am a high ball hitter.

Kevin

97 mph ss with a 6 iron is pretty solid. Based on ss alone, you'd be a 6.0 if not 6.5. According to Royal Precision's website, you'd fit at a 7.0 at 95+ ss.

I'm at 87 ss with a 6 iron and 5.5 is perfect for me.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

I play 5.5 projects but use to play both rifle 6 and s300s. The 5.5 feel definitely stiffer than the rifle 6 and about the same as s300. At the same time, the 5.5 feels looser than the s300s too. Its hard to make a direct comparison. When I don't put a good swing on the 5.5, they feel about as stiff as the s300. But when I do put a good swing on them, they feel a bit looser than the s300s. Kind of weird, but that's definitely what it feels like.

Also...WEIGHT! The 5.5 is MUCH lighter than the S300s and even the project 6.0s. I think its like 13 grams or something. I really don't like the lighter weight. It threw off my timing for a bit.

My suggestion is that if you are used to s300s and you have a good, athletic swing and you are a good ballstriker, go with project 6.0s. They will perform well. The 5.5 is just too light if you are used to s300 weighting, and you'll feel that they are a bit loose when you swing em well.

My suggestion is that if you are used to s300s and you have a good, athletic swing and you are a good ballstriker, go with project 6.0s. They will perform well. The 5.5 is just too light if you are used to s300 weighting, and you'll feel that they are a bit loose when you swing em well.

I don't know that this is a good suggestion. There are a lot of people out there using DG S300 shafts that in no way should use PX 6.0 shafts.

What is an "athletic swing"? What does it matter if you are a "good ball striker"?

S-

I generally test my swing speed with 6 irons. I play 675B snake eyes with 6.0 rifle at 97mph. From what I am told the 5.5 will be good as it has a lower ball flight as I am a high ball hitter.

Kevin

97 mph ss with a 6 iron is pretty solid. Based on ss alone, you'd be a 6.0 if not 6.5. According to Royal Precision's website, you'd fit at a 7.0 at 95+ ss.

I really like the feel of my 6.0's I think 7's would feel very stiff.

Kevin

Kevin

I really like the feel of my 6.0's I think 7's would feel very stiff.

Kevin

I agree 7.0 is probably way too stiff unless you have a very fast tempo. However at a 97 mph ss with a six iron I'd be leary of going with a 5.5.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

I bought i set of Mizuno irons years ago - due i thought to the club heads. Much, much later realised that the Mizuno's were the only ones with Rifle shafts - the 'standard' Rifle (well, Brunswick i think at the time! ) ones.... so definitely wasn't aware of what the '6.5' meant on the shaft...... but it was a very easy decision. Even at this stiffness the rifles were way better..... BUT

recently bought a new set of irons. I know someone who could get me the original satin pre TT Rifle ProjX shafts... and had heard great things about them, and as an old Rifle lover - though i would try them.

I have ProjX 6.0 and they are much more 'unforgiving' on a poor swing than those old 6.5 ever, ever were. Still not convinced about them, to be honest.......

So - you MUST try them first!

And the designer of those Rifle shatfs is now with FST... i'd like to try them as they cover stepless a la rifle in 125g and 115g and also stepped 'KB Tour' stuff, would seem a good shaft to try if i could find them.....

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

I was under the impressionn that the PX Flighted felt a little softer than the regular PX in equivalent designations. Somedays I think this and other's I'm not so sure. I have read other comments on this board expressing the same.

Randy

The PX Filghted feel slightly softer in the longer irons. Basically, P-7i feel like regular PX's and 6i-3i feel more like standard Rifle flighted to me.

I've tried PX's in R7 TP's and AP2's and I always go back to standard Rifle Flighted. The PX's always feel way to harsh for me compared to the solid yet smooth feel of the standard Rifles.

Recently in my AP2's, I went from PX 5.5 to PX Flighted 6.0 and ended with Rifle Flighted 6.0 and couldn't be happier...

Driver: Callaway ROGUE w/Tour AD Di-6
3w & 5w: Callaway Epic Sub Zero w/Tour AD Di-7
4h: Callaway Epic
5-PW: Callaway Apex MB '18
Wedges: 50* & 54* Mack Daddy 4, 60* Mizuno T7
Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

I played flighted rifle 6.0 for years in my TM300's and the stiffness and feel was perfect for me, unfortunately the ball flight I felt was too high in the scoring irons. So I have now played s300's in two subsequent sets and they feel much softer to me, I can feel the shaft bend on hard shots.

I have played PX 5.5's in a hybrid and the stiffness was similar to the flighted rifle 6.0 without the silky smooth feel. So today I demoed once again the PX 6.0 and an DG X100 in a AP2 6 iron (fittingworks screw-in shaft). Surprise was the X100 was not too stiff at all. The PX 6.0 felt terrible on all but my very best swings. It felt much stiffer and harsher than the X100. My driver swingspeed is approx. 105 with a quick transition.

My next iron shaft will be the X100's. Great control for me anyway.

I bought i set of Mizuno irons years ago - due i thought to the club heads. Much, much later realised that the Mizuno's were the only ones with Rifle shafts - the 'standard' Rifle (well, Brunswick i think at the time! ) ones.... so definitely wasn't aware of what the '6.5' meant on the shaft...... but it was a very easy decision. Even at this stiffness the rifles were way better..... BUT

recently bought a new set of irons. I know someone who could get me the original satin pre TT Rifle ProjX shafts... and had heard great things about them, and as an old Rifle lover - though i would try them.

I have ProjX 6.0 and they are much more 'unforgiving' on a poor swing than those old 6.5 ever, ever were. Still not convinced about them, to be honest.......

So - you MUST try them first!

And the designer of those Rifle shatfs is now with FST... i'd like to try them as they cover stepless a la rifle in 125g and 115g and also stepped 'KB Tour' stuff, would seem a good shaft to try if i could find them.....

My gammers have the old precision rifle 6.0's I wonder if they are the same as the Brunswick?

Kevin

I don't know that this is a good suggestion. There are a lot of people out there using DG S300 shafts that in no way should use PX 6.0 shafts.

What is an "athletic swing"? What does it matter if you are a "good ball striker"?

S-

For the projects to feel right, you have to load it properly. You have to be a bit aggressive and hit down well with them. I guess that's what I mean by an "athletic swing" and being a "good ball striker." If you regularly take divots and strike the ball clean, the projects will feel very lively in your hands with good action. If you tend to sweep the ball, the projects will feel stiff and dead. That's why you always hear people with projects say that if they don't put a good swing on them, the shafts feel awful.

I guess the proper thing to say is not that a project 6 is stiffer than an s300 but that it is less forgiving that an s300. If you are compressing the ball and taking divots with an s300, a project 6 should feel a bit livelier in your hands. If you are just sweeping the ball with the s300s, a 6 will feel dead.

All of this is to say that its not as much swing speed that dictates which shaft, but the way you swing and load that dictates which shaft to use.