SonaCaddie V300: The Bomb!!!!!!

Heh - sorry, I couldn't resist. I pciked up the SonaCaddie V300 (well, clicked up - I bough it off Amazon) and it arrived yesterday.

Plug-in and setup were a breeze, and in short order (less than 40 minutes), I had 19 local courses (all the ones I play) in Northern California loaded up and ready to go. I was happy to see that they were all available online. Most are mapped out too. The few that weren't were little 9-holers or pitch and putt types.

I spent the next hour looking at the layouts and holes on there, getting comfortable with the button layouts and feel of it. It seems very well made, quite rugged and easy to use.

I played a quick 9 holes last night at the local course (a pitch and putt, really), just to test it out. It works as advertised. It had all the traps and even some trees mapped out with distances to front and back of greens. All-in-all it seems a very nice unit. Mind you, I've never used a Golf GPS before, so I don't have anything compare it to, but it certainly seemed to do it's job.

I'm playing early Friday morning at a "real" course so I'll give it a full work out there. So far, so good!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur...the V300 is great and the customer service for mapping is good and responsive as well. I haven't used most of its functionality yet but I'm very excited to do so. Have fun on the course this weekend...I know I will.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

I just recieved my V300 today and like the others, its as advertised. Man I was highly impressed with all the functions that were so simple too use. I played a quick 9 holes at my home course too test some distances of the mark locations the most it was off was 2yds. This is a keeper. Tomorrow I'm going too play one of our local championship courses too really test out the color layout. I am also happy about the free eagle membership

I was just about to pull the trigger and buy my own Upro as my senior buddy took himself and his Upro to Florida for several months. I just went back to the Sono site and found most of the courses that were not mapped for the new device is now ready.

This thing really looks cool. I kind of wish the Upro could have made the pro mode look the v300 in the color layout, instead of the real photo, if that was at all possible. I'm sure it is very easy to see in direct sunlight.

Have you guys done any more testing. I'm really curious how well the tracking mode works and if it is 'pocketable' without losing signal.

I tried one out & it worked good.

Big mises: Auto hole advance, shot track (pain to remember to go to menu to do this, then should just hit button) - does not advance to scorecard automatically - you must remember to do that, then go back to advance to next hole. Hole info - ie. Par, handicap, etc... & finally the Tracking (not shot track) this does not help improve game & not sure what it is for (figure out how far you walked?).

On Plus Side: - Solid distances & Sats(10 constantly), great looking, sturdy belt clip, color screen, software & setup. The hole maps of my home course was accurate. Easy to add target. They should include screen protector in the box for $!

In the end not the unit for me when weighing price/features.

In the end not the unit for me when weighing price/features.

Ok, which unit do you like?

I'm still tossed up between the V300 and Upro (and waiting for something for the Iphone), no one has hit the nail on the head yet.

Twist

Sticking with Guru, has most of the features I want, I have not tried Upro - mainly as does not do stats yet, color was awesome on v300.

Finally had a chance too play a local course using the course layout feature and using the track feature.

The course layout was as feature on the yardage cards the yards were spot on except a few holes that you can change right there. The track feature is awesome if you can remember to hit the button. I like the stats that you can vew when you finish. It'll tell you what area you are struggling in. Call CS to add a couple more area course they seem to be very helpful takes a few days too add color layout too courses. Best investment so far

V300 Question: Carefully read the User Guide I downloaded from Sonocaddie Website, and saw that it referred to Membership "Renewals". The site indicated that there were "No Annual Fees" and a Membership, selected by the purchaser (Free if purchased by 10 July) which is a "Lifetime Membership" -- for the Life of the V300. I can understand that someone might want to "Upgrade" their membership, but what's with "Renewals" if it's a "Lifetime Membership"? Also, if a course is GPS enabled, but Not in Color (per their symbolic depictions, does the V300 Only show FBM Green yardages, or does it show Fairway / Hazard yardages in Black & White? Would really appreciate any input regarding the effectiveness of the hole lay-out view. Thank you for your response(s).

Renewals are for lesser memberships. I've played around with one today. The unit will show the yardages in the course layout mode and in the regular (original Sono) mode in color. The hole layout looks very nice. I am familiar with a few courses and the layouts are spot on. Very simple to switch between modes. I won't get a chance to test it on course until Sat.

"Renewals are for lesser memberships." Sorry for the confusion, but I'm still not clear on "Renewals". If I purchase the V300 and pay $30.00 for the "Birdie" (all courses in U.S.) "Lifetime" (life of my V300) Membership, with "no annual fees", do I have to "Renew" that $30.00 Membership, or is that my only, one-time, payment? And would you please let me know how easy it is to see the screen and whether someone who only needs reading glasses for very small print, would have trouble seeing the yardages. It looks like I might be able to use one of the other view screens which shows each hazard in order of occurence, better than using the "hole layout" screen. Finally, as someone else earlier requested, would you please comment on how well it obtains, and retains, Satellite coverage. Thank you. This inquiry probably should have been posted under the "V300 or Golf Guru" topic because that is the decision I am trying to make. I already have the Pinseeker 1500 to use inside 150 yds but would like the GPS for quicker reading of hazards and Greens from outside 150 yds.

it is a good unit - solid! color is great, you can easily toggle between hole layout view & alternate view where splits into 3 columns for right/center/left yrds & distances on right to hzds traps, etc. It is personalize screen. It held Sats well (10 whole round), but I never put in pocket, has good sturdy belt clip. No auto hole advance - & shot track is pain as you have to remember to hit it (not a single button). The "tracking" feature basically records your position every XX seconds then maps it so you can review, but not sure what you would use it for. "You" the little red figure, moves around hole view in real time, very easy to use.

Basic stats & scoring info are ok. Should show par & handicap on hole view & really needs auto advance like guru & others.

For me given price difference - I stuck w/ guru as just could not justify price difference.

FYI - rec'd email on Golf logix - they are releasing "the future"(see website) in 2009 along with some new units. Suspect we will see lots more color units & more stats stuff from all mfg's.....

• 1 month later...
I'm also curious about whether the 300 can be put in your pocket without losing the signal. Can anyone make additional comments on the satellite acquisition, tracking, and retention abilities of this unit?

Yes, I keep mine in my pocket while playing, and it doesn't lose the signal.

Everything about mine has been great so far. I've used it for 15 rounds, and only had a few yardages that were off on my home course, but I fixed those on the first round.

Satelitte acquisition is pretty quick, as I power up on the way in from the parking lot, and it's good to go by the time I hit the proshop.

I played a tournament last month, on a course that was new to me, but Sonocaddie didn't have it listed as a mapped course. After I sent an email request, they answered back the next day, and had the course mapped 9 days later. I checked it against the sprinkler heads where yardages were marked, and the most it was off was 3 yards. Everything else was good.

The tracking feature for this is weird, as I'm not sure what the purpose is, except to see how far you walk on each hole, but the driving distance feature is cool, as is the scorekeeper. It tracks all the normal stats like putts, fairways hit, up and downs and sand saves.

Overall, I like mine alot, and it's much quicker than a rangefinder.

I used it for a full 18 yesterday, and it was great. No issues at all. Showed all the distances, I used the "mark" feature (244 yard drive baby!! LOL!!) and still have over half the charge. Never lost signal once, kept it in the cart with me (as opposed to on my belt).

Big thumbs up!

regardless of what you may think, if you keep it in the cart you are losing all the accuracy. the device relies on a minimum of 8 sats to get any decent accuracy. for that it needs to be able to see the sky and lock up the sats and that doesn't happen instantly. thats why you have to " initialize " it when you first turn it on and why that takes a few minutes. when it loses sight of the sats, even for a few seconds, it loses that relative data and as such any reference it gets from it. when you jump out of the cart and look at it it shows you some numbers but if the device has been under cover for more than 30 seconds or so , the accuracy will be garbage. best case for these is to use the belt clip to attach it to your bag so its always seeing the sky in one direction or another.

Satelitte acquisition is pretty quick, as I power up on the way in from the parking lot, and it's good to go by the time I hit the proshop.

I'm fired up...

regardless of what you may think, if you keep it in the cart you are losing all the accuracy. the device relies on a minimum of 8 sats to get any decent accuracy. for that it needs to be able to see the sky and lock up the sats and that doesn't happen instantly. thats why you have to " initialize " it when you first turn it on and why that takes a few minutes. when it loses sight of the sats, even for a few seconds, it loses that relative data and as such any reference it gets from it. when you jump out of the cart and look at it it shows you some numbers but if the device has been under cover for more than 30 seconds or so , the accuracy will be garbage. best case for these is to use the belt clip to attach it to your bag so its always seeing the sky in one direction or another
...and now I'm bummed again. I really want to be able to keep the device in my pocket, but if accuracy goes to pot when I do, that will defeat the purpose of the device. I want to be able to pull it out of my pocket and get an accurate reading within 2 or 3 seconds. If I have to wait 10 or 20 seconds for it to acquire enough satellites to be accurate, I just can't see myself using it from a practical standpoint; it will just cause delays and/or frustrate me.

I keep going back and forth between the Guru and the Sonocaddie v300. Everything about the 300 seems more to my liking except for a few things, and the one that is most important is antenna strength. By all accounts, the Guru has phenomenal satellite tracking/strength, based on whatever technology is in that thing (I think it's called Ublox or something like that?). I was (and still am) hoping the 300 has good enough antennas that it can make an accurate reading a few seconds from being in my pocket.

For those that do keep their 300 in their pocket, would you care to comment on this? Any sense of how long it takes to get an accurate reading once you take it out of your pocket?

Scott

I'm fired up...

regardless of what you may think, if you keep it in the cart you are losing all the accuracy. the device relies on a minimum of 8 sats to get any decent accuracy. for that it needs to be able to see the sky and lock up the sats and that doesn't happen instantly. thats why you have to " initialize " it when you first turn it on and why that takes a few minutes. when it loses sight of the sats, even for a few seconds, it loses that relative data and as such any reference it gets from it. when you jump out of the cart and look at it it shows you some numbers but if the device has been under cover for more than 30 seconds or so , the accuracy will be garbage. best case for these is to use the belt clip to attach it to your bag so its always seeing the sky in one direction or another
...and now I'm bummed again. I really want to be able to keep the device in my pocket, but if accuracy goes to pot when I do, that will defeat the purpose of the device. I want to be able to pull it out of my pocket and get an accurate reading within 2 or 3 seconds. If I have to wait 10 or 20 seconds for it to acquire enough satellites to be accurate, I just can't see myself using it from a practical standpoint; it will just cause delays and/or frustrate me.

I keep going back and forth between the Guru and the Sonocaddie v300. Everything about the 300 seems more to my liking except for a few things, and the one that is most important is antenna strength. By all accounts, the Guru has phenomenal satellite tracking/strength, based on whatever technology is in that thing (I think it's called Ublox or something like that?). I was (and still am) hoping the 300 has good enough antennas that it can make an accurate reading a few seconds from being in my pocket.

For those that do keep their 300 in their pocket, would you care to comment on this? Any sense of how long it takes to get an accurate reading once you take it out of your pocket?

Scott

Don't know if this is of any help to you - but I still have the old monochrome screen model called Sonocaddie XV2 - and I always have mine in my pocket, and I always have a very god signal on mine, when I take it out of my pocket to measure the distance to the hole.

I'm contemplating whether I should get the new V 300 color screen or some of the other GPS devices out there.......I like the fact, that the Sonocaddie XV2 works with both rechargeable batteries and normal batteries. With the V300 model, you have to remember to charge the unit in your PC the night before you play, or you will have no power left in the unit - this is a BIG letdown for me and the only reason why I still use the old model.

I've used it in the rain and it still works pretty good - still finds some satellites and the distance is still very precise - not at all like Stevesxm says. My occasional playing buddy has laser rangefinder and my GPS always is within 1-2 yards of his rangefinder, so I'm satisfied with its performance :hi:

I will however also get a Callaway Nikon Laser LR800 rangefinder (sold my Bushneel 1500 pinseeker 4 months ago - it was a bit too bulky and big sized - but a great range finder) - just so that I have both to be double sure and for when I play new courses not covered bythe GPS device. The laser rangefinder is also good fun to have on the range to know how far you hit your irons :good:

I'm fired up...

Scott

geeze... im begging you guys... please don't be stupid. my sonocaddie and every single other gps made on the planet be it golf related or otherwise HAS to see the sky to work. thats all there is to it. that intialization and reaquisition doesn't happen instantly... even on the ones that cost 10 grand. your unit like mine and all the others has an antenna in it 1/2 the size of a dime. it has the most basic and cheapest electronics and post processing that the chinese can make.

it isn't what nasa uses. honest. if you put it in your pocket you are making a mistake and defeating a lot of the purpose of carrying it. if you throw it in the cart you may or may not get bounced signals and may or may not lose the resolution but i wouldn't do it. clip it on you bag or your belt for gods sake and stop making a project out of this. they are fine devices and do EXACTLY what they are supposed to do... IF ( pay attention here) THEY CAN SEE THE SKY.

they lose 1/2 their resolution when clouds go over... what in hell do you think happens when its in your pocket ?

don't believe me ? go get it right now. turn it on and put it on your kitchen table. tell me how many sats it picks up.

My 2 cents .......

Although the GPS does have to see the sky there is a huge difference in receiver sensitivity among any set of GPS units. I have owned and used both Sonocaddie (not color) and Guru. The Guru easily picks up satellites in the house while the Sonocaddie would not. In the cart the Guru also wins the satellite race, easily holding them no matter where I put the unit. The Sonocaddie would loose them unless it had a clear view of the sky. Accuracy also goes to the Guru with giving readings closer to the same on successive days. I would contribute all of this to the fact that the receiver in the Guru is more sensitive.

If you get accuracy within a couple of yards that is VERY GOOD for a civilian GPS unit. I have used some that were within a cm but they were military grade. I'm 100% sure that I can't hit the ball with that much accuracy :good:

Steve ..... While it would be nice if folks would read up on the technology they are using I think "stupid" is an awfully harsh word.

hackin

I hope you've already read all the posts about the U-Pro. The one that concerned me the most was the difficulty, or impossibility, of being able to use the "Fly-over" view outside -- most said you can only see it while inside. Also, I worried about the time it might take to use the "measure" mode, which to me would be the most valuable asset of this GPS. Also, I didn't want to have to purchase the mapping for courses I was only going to play one time, like when taking golf vacations with my group. The final factor in my choosing the V300 over the U-Pro was the fact that U-Pro had Very Few of the courses that I regularly play, currently mapped. I am really enjoying my V300, which stays on my belt during the round, though I also use my Pinseeker 1500, which stays in my bag, on Par 3s and when I can readily access it from within 150 yds, for most accurate readings TO THE PIN. (when course is wet and carts have to stay on paths, I only use the 1500 on Par 3 tees because I don't like having to carry it with my 2 or 3 clubs out to my ball). I've just purchased the Guru for the ability to determine Accurate measurements to Center of Green, FROM MY APPROACH ANGLE. Hope my belt doesn't fall off from all the objects it'll have attached to it (I also have my insulin pump attached to my belt). We'll see. Anyway, just wanted to suggest that you not be too hasty in returning your V-300. I LOVE the Farway Views on it, and simplicity of adding / deleting different measurement points on it. I'm plotting 90 yd layups on various holes because that is my favorite approach distance -- A-Wedge. Think twice about returning that V-300.

I'm fired up...

Scott

geeze... im begging you guys... please don't be stupid. my sonocaddie and every single other gps made on the planet be it golf related or otherwise HAS to see the sky to work. thats all there is to it. that intialization and reaquisition doesn't happen instantly... even on the ones that cost 10 grand. your unit like mine and all the others has an antenna in it 1/2 the size of a dime. it has the most basic and cheapest electronics and post processing that the chinese can make.

it isn't what nasa uses. honest. if you put it in your pocket you are making a mistake and defeating a lot of the purpose of carrying it. if you throw it in the cart you may or may not get bounced signals and may or may not lose the resolution but i wouldn't do it. clip it on you bag or your belt for gods sake and stop making a project out of this. they are fine devices and do EXACTLY what they are supposed to do... IF ( pay attention here) THEY CAN SEE THE SKY.

they lose 1/2 their resolution when clouds go over... what in hell do you think happens when its in your pocket ?

don't believe me ? go get it right now. turn it on and put it on your kitchen table. tell me how many sats it picks up.

Steve, I agree with you - to some extent :grin:

A golf GPS device with a cheap Chinese satellite receiver probably needs all the clear sky available - but don't know why mine works the way it does.

I always carry it in my pocket and take it out and carry it with me towards my ball - maybe 20-30 seconds before I actually make a read of the distance for my next shot. My friend has double checked it several times with his Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 rangefinder and I did so to, when I had my Bushnell 1500 Tour edt. 5-6 months ago to test how precise my Sonocaddie device was. And just for the record, I have no interest in praising Sonocaddies products - I buy what works for me, no matter what brand it is.

So please don't call me stupid - I just tell people how my GPS device works - no more, no less that that !

Maybe mine has magical powers or a special dark force built in :good: - I don't know, I'm only being honest and sensere about my experience with the Sonocaddie XV2 GPS device :hi:

I still think it lacks an "auto advance to next hole" feature, a digital clock and some kind of alarm function, so it's far from perfect.

Thanks for your help milfordJ.

I have been confused for a while deciding between the two .

I am a minimalistic when it comes to carrying gadgets . If I carried the four things you mention . I will loose at least one on the course everyother week.

You have to have a rangfinder , No if's and but's. It's a must for approach shots if you are a serious golfer .

I love the score recording ability of the V300. The flyovers are great if your playing a new course . I have gone through the Upro thread . There are some glitches about the plotting?rangfinder ability . However people seem overall happy about it .

As far as courses are concerned . I am better off with Upro . Sonocaddie does not have my regular courses. It takes them weeks to get the courses mapped on the site .

I am cart player and most of the courses have built in GPS . I seriously question the need of these devices . All you need is a rangefinder .

Thanks for your help milfordJ.

I have been confused for a while deciding between the two .

I am a minimalistic when it comes to carrying gadgets . If I carried the four things you mention . I will loose at least one on the course everyother week.

You have to have a rangfinder , No if's and but's. It's a must for approach shots if you are a serious golfer .

I love the score recording ability of the V300. The flyovers are great if your playing a new course . I have gone through the Upro thread . There are some glitches about the plotting?rangfinder ability . However people seem overall happy about it .

As far as courses are concerned . I am better off with Upro . Sonocaddie does not have my regular courses. It takes them weeks to get the courses mapped on the site .

I am cart player and most of the courses have built in GPS . I seriously question the need of these devices . All you need is a rangefinder .

I've come to realize, that having both is the best of both worlds :grin:

A range finder for the range to check your distance and for the exact distance to the pin with shots from 150 yards and in :good:

A GPS device for ease of use from the tee and when you have long dogleg holes, where a laser range finder is useless & for keeping your score on the built in electronic scorecard :hi:

It won't help you more than a good pro caddy will, so I still feel like I'm playing golf :deadhorse:

I just have to focus on my next shot and no more than that - and it speeds up play, once you know how these devices work :cheesy:

I play 10-15 minutes faster rounds after I began using my GPS device.

I just go the sonocaddie V 300 and am planning to return it for a Upro .

Simply becasue of the ability to plot and measure distance . sort of like a rangefinder. Also small size and flyover views are a bonus.

Do you know if the Upro has built in electronic scorecard ?

I think you would be best off having both :grin:

A range finder for the range to check your distance and for the exact distance to the pin with shots from 150 yards and in :good:

A GPS device for ease of use from the tee and when you have long dogleg holes, where a laser range finder is useless & for keeping your score on the built in electronic scorecard :hi: