2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Hey all. I ordered my PBS last week. I'm really looking forward to giving it a go very soon -- fingers crossed it has the desired result! So excuse my ignorance, but all this business about power accumulators and PP3s has raised my interest in the more technical side of swing mechanics. I've read 5 Lessons plenty of times, but what's the best resource book on the technical stuff (assuming I lack a PhD in bio-mechanics and keniseology, which I do ;) )? Swing Machine Golf? Something else? Thx.

Slicefixer's Encyclopedia Texarkana is pretty good and PB Striker works well with his 9-3 drill. It's a bit advanced stuff, but I'm pretty sure if you e-mail him he'll help you through anything you don't understand.

3JACK

Hey all. I ordered my PBS last week. I'm really looking forward to giving it a go very soon -- fingers crossed it has the desired result! So excuse my ignorance, but all this business about power accumulators and PP3s has raised my interest in the more technical side of swing mechanics. I've read 5 Lessons plenty of times, but what's the best resource book on the technical stuff (assuming I lack a PhD in bio-mechanics and keniseology, which I do ;) )? Swing Machine Golf? Something else? Thx.

Homer Kelley's "The Golfing Machine" But don't be a feared of it like everyone else is!

I am here to HELP! and if I can not I am sure I can find the help from somewhere.

The 4 power accumulators and Pressure points are from "The Golfing Machine" book by Homer Kelly. Other books may give their own terms to these things. The information Jeff is teaching us here is from TGM (The Golfing Machine).

ETA...spelled Jeff's name wrong

The 4 power accumulators and Pressure points are from "The Golfing Machine" book by Homer Kelly. Other books may give their own terms to these things. The information Geoff is teaching us here is from TGM (The Golfing Machine).

Logan did you mean me?

The 4 power accumulators and Pressure points are from "The Golfing Machine" book by Homer Kelly. Other books may give their own terms to these things. The information Geoff is teaching us here is from TGM (The Golfing Machine).

Logan did you mean me?

Yea, I spelled your name wrong. Sorry!!!

Will edit and fix.

Logan did you mean me?

Yea, I spelled your name wrong. Sorry!!!

Will edit and fix.

No Problem dude! It is OK by me!

Mine came in yesterday, I ordered it last Thursday, so it was real fast shipping as others have mentioned.

I tried it out w/o a ball in my yard for a few swings. I need to check out this thread in more detail along with the blog since I dunno if I was doing it right. I couldn't really tell if I was feeling anything. I did try some swings where I'm pretty sure I threw away all my lag early but I couldn't discern the difference.

My guesses right now are I'm gripping too tightly and maybe I'm not holding any lag with any of my swings. It wouldn't surprise me per se. I'm a 100+ shooter, so I wouldn't know lag if it bit me in the rear.

I'm assuming that it's a fairly subtle feeling. I have a feeling someone like me really needs to hit balls with it to work out what it should feel like.

Oh, I tried to use it as a clown nose but it wouldn't stay on :jester:

First off, I'd like to state that the PBS is a great training aid. I've had mine for a few weeks and am about 10 yards longer with every club in my bag without swinging as "hard" as I used to. I carry a 2 handicap, but had peaked there due to a lack of distance (7 iron=~145 yards) which video analysis showed to be from an obvious "casting" motion. Working with the PBS has me getting my hands more in front of the clubhead at impact, however, I don't think I'm enjoying its full benefits yet because I don't really "feel" it on my backswing as I do on the downswing. In an effort to hit the ball straight, I don't **** my wrists much, and that is something I know I need to work on if I want to hit the ball farther, but even in playing around with making a big wrist **** I can't feel the PBS where I'm supposed to.

I just read some of the Moe/Hogan "secret" giant thread (although I still haven't found out what the secret is), and what I've taken from this is that the left thumb is a point where pressure should be felt at the top of the backswing, which would seem to indicate a decent amount of wrist ****. It is cold where I live so I haven't gotten to the range to test my theory out, but I'm thinking that by using the left thumb as my pressure point at the top of backswing to assist in cocking my wrists and the thought of the PBS pressure point on the downswing, I might just be onto something. I'd appreciate any thoughts regarding this that anyone may have.

I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble "feeling" the PBS on the backswing (only) and what they were able to do to overcome it.

Disclaimer: I haven't read anything close to the entire Moe/Hogan "secret" thread and my knowledge of TGM is non-existant, so there may have been something in this thread already posted that I missed.

Jeff and friends -- I was just watching one of KOC's Hogan compilations on You Tube and saw the bit where Hogan discusses the grip and especially the proper role of the right index finger (for righties) in the swing. It's around 0:53 - 1:02 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKU8o3ewZc...feature=related

Is the feel that Hogan describes the same feel the PBS is trying to develop?

Jeff and friends -- I was just watching one of KOC's Hogan compilations on You Tube and saw the bit where Hogan discusses the grip and especially the proper role of the right index finger (for righties) in the swing. It's around 0:53 - 1:02 of this video:

WOW!

First off, I'd like to state that the PBS is a great training aid. I've had mine for a few weeks and am about 10 yards longer with every club in my bag without swinging as "hard" as I used to. I carry a 2 handicap, but had peaked there due to a lack of distance (7 iron=~145 yards) which video analysis showed to be from an obvious "casting" motion. Working with the PBS has me getting my hands more in front of the clubhead at impact, however, I don't think I'm enjoying its full benefits yet because I don't really "feel" it on my backswing as I do on the downswing. In an effort to hit the ball straight, I don't **** my wrists much, and that is something I know I need to work on if I want to hit the ball farther, but even in playing around with making a big wrist **** I can't feel the PBS where I'm supposed to.

I just read some of the Moe/Hogan "secret" giant thread (although I still haven't found out what the secret is), and what I've taken from this is that the left thumb is a point where pressure should be felt at the top of the backswing, which would seem to indicate a decent amount of wrist ****. It is cold where I live so I haven't gotten to the range to test my theory out, but I'm thinking that by using the left thumb as my pressure point at the top of backswing to assist in cocking my wrists and the thought of the PBS pressure point on the downswing, I might just be onto something. I'd appreciate any thoughts regarding this that anyone may have.

I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble "feeling" the PBS on the backswing (only) and what they were able to do to overcome it.

Disclaimer: I haven't read anything close to the entire Moe/Hogan "secret" thread and my knowledge of TGM is non-existant, so there may have been something in this thread already posted that I missed.

I don't feel the PBS in the backswing either. Only from the transition through impact do I feel the pressure on the right index finger.

I don't feel the PBS in the backswing either. Only from the transition through impact do I feel the pressure on the right index finger.

I guess that means you are more of a swinger. Check out this video. Chuck Evans describes exactly what you did when he was describing a "swinger".

Somewhere around the 1:15 mark he talks about where a hitter and swinger will feel PP#3.

WOW!

That is absolutely the feeling the PBS develops. Jeff actually has a condensed version of that clip on his PBS blog.

A very intuitive find, well done.

Excellent. I tried out my PBS for the first time this morning before work (I recieved it yesterday). I really liked the feel. All the way to the Metro I couldn't get it out of my head. (People probably thought I was psycho since I kept swinging my hand while walking in the stone skipping motion.) Then completely by accident I looked at that video at lunch and felt like yelling "exactly". But I'm a novice so I thought I'd better ask before I got too carried away. I can't wait to get to the range this weekend to really give it a workout. :clapping:

There is only ONE secret in golf and that is "sustaining the line of compression". All other secrets are others opinions and feelings. Not universal laws. The PBS will help you do this. Just keep the clubshaft on plane on the backswing and you will feel the pressure during the change of direction.

Dave, G.E.S.B

I guess that means you are more of a swinger. Check out this video. Chuck Evans describes exactly what you did when he was describing a "swinger".

Somewhere around the 1:15 mark he talks about where a hitter and swinger will feel PP#3.

Thanks for that video, that makes me feel like I'm on the right track. My swing definitely looks more like the "swinger" on there.

Immediately at the point of transition I can feel the pressure on the PBS. Prior to having the PBS I'd be on the course and I'd look at the ball that traveled 10-20 yards shorter than I thought it should have and wonder why. Now after having worked with the PBS I know that I lost contact between the index finger of the right hand and the grip before the ball even hits the ground. In my mind this sense of feedback is why the PBS is such a valuable tool.

I received my PBS yesterday. So far, I have used it to "carpet putt" and to swing indoors with a gap wedge. Here are my findings. I hope my honesty is taken in the right spirit:

Overall, the PBS is a little harder and slick than I expected it to be. I thought it would be more of a "rubbery" texture, with some tackiness like a grip compound. It had a tendency to slip a little down or sideways on the shaft of the wedge. However, it fit very snugly on the wider putter grip.

I started out putting. I rolled about 50 putts with it. The very strongly positive effect was that it "knit" my hands together in the grip and through the stroke. It also took my wrists out of the stroke. Once again, bringing everything together as a unit. On the negative side, but not a big deal, was that distance control initially suffered because of this new sensation. However, this was soon corrected as I became more accustomed to the sensation. This was part of the normal learning process and was worked out quickly. I was soon rolling putts more consistently and successfully.

When I put the PBS (there is some slang name we need to come up with a la Scotty Cameron's ball marker "scrode") on the wedge, I had to work a little to sort out how I wanted it to fit. My grips are Golf Pride New Decade multicompound in standard size.

As I got more accustomed to the PBS, I was soon making swings and just learning about the tool. I will need more work and feedback, but for now I'm intrigued. I think a great application is to use the PBS together with an impact bag. I plan to do that for the next few days and hope it is warm enough to take it outside to the range.

Thanks for reading.

Guys, I hate to start sounding like a shill, but I have no ties to Jeff, or his product, I bought it like everyone else...

I have been concientously using my PBS with noticable improvement on my long game all the way down to chips and pitches with wonderful results. Now I am finding that the positive "feel" of applied pressure in my right forefinger pad may allow me to return to using a standard length putter and get away from the long - anti yip broom stick. AMAZING!!!

Thanks again Jeff,

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Guys, I hate to start sounding like a shill, but I have no ties to Jeff, or his product, I bought it like everyone else...

I have been concientously using my PBS with noticable improvement on my long game all the way down to chips and pitches with wonderful results. Now I am finding that the positive "feel" of applied pressure in my right forefinger pad may allow me to return to using a standard length putter and get away from the long - anti yip broom stick. AMAZING!!!

Thanks again Jeff,

Kevin

Kevin,

I've read your love for this device over and over. I must say I am extremely jealous of your results. :drinks:

I just haven't had the time to spend with it since it came in. :(

Cheers!

Thanks again Jeff,

Kevin

Kevin,

I've read your love for this device over and over. I must say I am extremely jealous of your results. :drinks:

I just haven't had the time to spend with it since it came in. :(

Cheers!

Don't be jealous, I have mine on a club behind the counter. I waggle it a few times a day just to keep the feel. I have very little time for practice these days, but the PBS can help you keep the feel anywhere you can stash a club!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again