Garage practice range

TheBUNKY

Anyone else made one or hit balls in their garage or basement?
Seems like I saw a thread on here back in the Summer about some of you building indoor practice ranges in your basement or garage. Did anyone ever do this? I did a search of the forums but didn't find anything.

Right now I can get away with hitting the "Almost Golf" balls in my garage, but would like to go to the real thing. I am looking for some pointers or suggestions on how to make this happen. I am thinking about using a couple of old bed sheets or bed spreads and a practice or door mat. I think I can run a length of cable from one side of my garage to the other and fasten that to the wall with some eye hooks into the studs. Then just throw the sheets over that or use a net in place of the sheets.

Anyone else have any pointers or pictures of your creations?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goal is to turn my garage into an "indoor" practice facility. Hopefully my son (and any future kids) will like to play golf, so it'll be for the whole family. I'm thinking about installing a fake putting green in the backyard as well.

Β 

The only catch is, I might have to wait until the house is paid off, which is TEN years away. Ugh. If I wait that long, you can bet I'll do it top-notch. I'm talking professional install, make the garage a living space, even if it costs like $30 grand. Ahhh....dreams... :drinks:

Last year I bought several dozen of these. These are the Almost Golf Balls that I mentioned above. Luckily I play golf with my neighbors regularly and we hit them from yard to yard. All was fine and good until one of our neighbors, who is an older grouchy guy, started raising hell that we were hitting his house and in his mind could break a window which simply isn't possible with these. So anyway we had to change our games up a bit but still hit them regularly. I've started hitting them in my garage and I know what you mean about how they will come back at you. I was practicing knock down shots last week and had several come back at me. :drinks:

Β 

The great thing about these balls are they check up on pavement and you can hit cuts and draws with them. They weigh 1/4 of what a regular ball weighs and I think they are the same size. I can hit one with my driver about 125 yards.

Β 

Back to the garage thing. I have the ultimate man garage complete with Neon Signs, TV and beer fridge. I just wish I could spend more time out there :crazy2: What better way than to hit balls.

I've been struggling with this for quite some time. I first went out and bought one of those already made hitting nets. After five swings I put a whole right through it. Luckily I was outside when it happened. I then tried to jimmy a cage using bed linens however that only lasted a few days before I tour threw them as well. I also, tried foam but that became dangerous as the balls kept flying back at my head. My suggestion is to get a full cage. I've seen them online. They'll run you about $150.

Get a thick tarp from Wal-Mart.Some 2X4's to build a frame with.Hang the tarp from the frame.The trick is to not pull the tarp tight on the frame.If you have an 8" tall frame use a 12" tarp attach it at the top and bottom of the frame.You may want to double the tarp also.The slack in the tarp should be sufficient to stop even a full shot from a Driver.I have a ss of 120mph and have yet to punch a hole thru the double tarp.Don't set the frame close to a wall.I would post a pic but where I live all I have available is dial up internet and it takes forever to load pics.The whole setup should cost less than $50.

Here is the one in my garage. I never use it which explains why there are Christmas yard deers all around it... Where I live is REALLY cold in the winter so my dad built this net (for himself...) since we have a heater in our garage. The two things that I would change would be to hit into a net instead of a tarp because it is really loud. You also need to make sure that there are no support beams exposed because your ball will most likely hit it and bounce back at you... which explains my add-on of the purple "noodles" to cover the pvc pipes.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping an old post, but I found this thread while doing a search for "garage practice".

Β 

This is a good topic this time of year in the North East. I'd like to put a cage in my garage to swing in through the winter.

Β 

Does anyone have any reviews of the full cages for sale on the Internet? I had a net that I used once outside and put holes through it immediately, what a waste. I don't want to buy the same quality cage for hitting in the garage this winter. Any advice would be appreciated. There are no indoor facilities anywhere near me that I'm aware of.

Β 

Thanks.

:bb2: :clapping: If your looking for a good garage net, go to sportsnetting.com. I have a few kids and going to the driving range isn't easy. It's meant to be an outside cage but you can hang it in the garage. The way its works is you use fence posts to build the cage, but just hang it from the ceiling and skip the down posts. The weight of the posts on the bottom will keep your net hanging down. I had it for about two years and its works great. I can only use up to a five iron but you can hit alot of balls.

I use a net, a heavy duty mat and a video camera to work on my swing in the winter.

Β 

I have an Auto Golf Net, which has been extremely durable (very little wear in three seasons). If folds down into a circular bag about 4' x 6", so it doesn't take up space when not in use.

Β 

http://www.practicerange.com/detail.aspx?ID=600

Β 

I also have a Fiberbuilt practice mat. This thing is very good to hit from, because it has a soft "grass" that is very easy on your body, and it has alignment aids built into the mat itself. The mat is heavy rubber and weighs about 100 lbs, and it is a real beech to lug around because it is not rigid. I attached mine to a plywood sheet, so now it weighs about 110 lbs. I'm currently working on a way to add a couple small wheels so it is easier to move around.

Β 

http://www.fiberbuilt.com/golf/s3rn.html

Β 

The video camera is a key to successful indoor practice, because you can't watch the ball in the air to figure out what's going on with your swing. Personally, I think it is MUCH easier to make swing changes while hitting into a net rather than on the range because you don't worry about where the ball is going. You concentrate on making the kind of swing you want.

The myTPI site has a section that explains step by step how to create your own hitting space.

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

I just bought this hitting net from GPPGolf.com, which had it for an great price (sold out now):

Β 

292476.jpg

Β 

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/292476

Β 

I normally go to the range every day before work, but I thought this would be nice for weekends, warm-ups before rounds at courses with no range, and late-night insomnia inspired hitting session.

Β 

I'll post a review after it shows up and I have a chance to use it a few times.

I'll look for it, I found it by accident once.

Β 

I wish I had the motivation to hit balls before work.

http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/Learning_Tech...icle.asp?id=124

Β 

See if that works... If not its in Learning Technology/ Teaching Centers/ How to build your own home teaching center

I just bought this hitting net from GPPGolf.com, which had it for an great price (sold out now):

Β 

292476.jpg

Β 

Β 

I normally go to the range every day before work, but I thought this would be nice for weekends, warm-ups before rounds at courses with no range, and late-night insomnia inspired hitting session.

Β 

Β 

Dannnngggg that thing looks sweeeet!

Β 

292476.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Dannnngggg that thing looks sweeeet!

Β 

I had never seriously considered a net, but the price on this one was so low, it had to be done. I'm still expecting it to be a mistake - as in they left off a 1 before the rest of the numbers in the price and then sold it for 1/2 off. We'll see if it actually shows up.