2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

David Duval - 2009

kharmon

Duval thinks U.S. Open finish a positive sign, not a fluke

duval_storytop.jpg

Jul. 7, 2009

By Craig Dolch, PGATOUR.COM Contributor

Had David Duval won last month's U.S. Open, it would have qualified as the best story in golf in a very long time...

That doesn't seem fair, because what Duval almost did was the stuff movies and fairy tales are made of. Here was a guy who had risen to the No. 1 ranking in the world in 1999, didn't seem to enjoy the view and slowly fell off the golf map, plunging to a No. 882 ranking as he entered the U.S. Open, just his second major since 2006.

But there Duval was, tied for the lead at Bethpage Black ...

http://www.pgatour.com/2009/tournaments/r0...lumn/index.html

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id be willing to bet if he put his old Titleist clubs in the bag,he'd be back.You dont shoot 59 in the final round to win and then forget how to play.Phil Knight started waving all that money in front of him and he switched clubs.Coincidently,thats about the same time his game went south. I think now that Nike is making a better product,he can potentially be back to form.His priorities changed after he won the open.Yeah,he won with Nike sticks but he staggered in.Same with Phil.He played his BEST golf when he was with Titleist.Hitting the hospitality tent on the 18 hole of the US Open was hideous. I play a Callaway driver because I tend to cut my 905R a little more than Id like.The FT-5 is a perfect fit for me but Phil isnt a 7 hdcp either.

Yeah -- That's why Tiger has really started playing poorly with his Nike equipment... :rolleyes:

Tiger can win with anything.As a junior he won with Ping and Mizuno.He held all 4 majors at the same time {have the golf digest cover signed and on my wall} while playing Titleist.Im partial to Titleist.I will say I hit the forged version of the now discontinued CGI's and really did like them and could possibly see myself playing them.My irons are 2001 models and I still love them.I do like Nike golf shoes though and apparel.I mean no disrespect to Nike or anyone who plays them but I think Phil made a comment about Nike one day that didnt go over too well.Their balls,even though they are Bridgestone,are great as well.Just not my cup of tea.I do still believe that if he returned to the "magic 59 clubs" he would see an improvement.If nothing else than confidence.This years National Open really had me pulling for him.He's back at Augusta {which owes him!} now and I think things are starting to "click" for him now.Just like I predicted several months ago when this thread originally popped up.I think he is really starting to believe in himself again too.Im really pulling for him!!

I just want to see him do well this week, and then grind it out at the Open for a win or another top 10 in a major.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

every year since 98 Tiger finished as number one in the word that one was Vjay year I think Duval was for a moment in 2001

I am not against him if he indeed finishes a comeback. But let him climb some hills first before you have in take on Everest because I assure you Everest would beat him down be like and Ali Floyd Patterson fight.

I really hope this form continues. I would love to see a Tiger and Duval showdown in the near future.

every year since 98 Tiger finished as number one in the word that one was Vjay year I think Duval was for a moment in 2001

I am not against him if he indeed finishes a comeback. But let him climb some hills first before you have in take on Everest because I assure you Everest would beat him down be like and Ali Floyd Patterson fight.

I do not disagree that Tiger would take him down, but look at my original post. I hope his form continues and want a showdown in the near future, not right now. I just think maybe Duval's age and experience would serve him better than most, especially if his golf game shows up as well. You are right about a smackdown right now though!!

Nice Rainbow falls avitar. I used to live in Mammoth.

Now , back to the thread.............

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

This is exactly why DD is the only one who could have ever seriously challenged Tiger. This is like Tiger saying "I'm close" for 6 months when he's going thru a significant swing change and firing balls all over the course.

These two have such ridiculous egos they would blame a butterfly fart for a bad shot. But that's why they are and were the best. If he ever gets it back he would be the guy who gives Tiger a run. He can do no wrong in his mind. Injuries (wrist, back, shoulder, neck), weight loss, weight gain, vertigo, family, grip caps...you name it. Never him. Sound familiar?

Unil he starts releasing hard left and playing a cut 90% of the time like he used to he'll never be consistent. But once that ball starts going left it's hard for guys who are rotary swingers to ever get back that confidence to turn that body like mad thru the ball.

Right now he's got a decent band aid in that he's taking it straighter back and dropping it under with serious spine tilt. If you here DD played a draw (like he did quite a bit at the US Open), he's not back. In his prime he aimed down the left and smashed it with a 15 yard cut. FEARLESS!!!

Right now he's still afraid. If I were his coach I'd stick an umbrella about 10 yds down the target line and make him hit 500 3 woods that have to start left of the umbrella and finish right of it. And the next day do the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the layoff has done some harm. Sitting at +4 through 5 holes into the second round, cut line looks to be -1. Unless there are opposite field events I am unaware of, there will be nothing for him to play in until October. Sitting 109 on the money list right now, I don't know if there will be many guys in the FedEx Cup who can pass him, or if most guys are in front of him.

I think he's relatively safe to stay in 126-150, which will get him conditional status, but he would still need Q school for a full card.

He needs to make this cut I think....but I'm not sure how easily he can get 4-5 shots back in 13 holes....

Yeah, he has slipped a little since the US Open. He'll play in 3 of the 5 Fall Series events, needing to finish in the top 125 Money Leaders at the end of the year for full Tour status in 2010. I think he'll do it. He is already exempt for the 2010 Masters, US Open and British Open.

He will win in 2010, maybe sooner...