2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

David Duval - 2009

kharmon

Washed up, or does he have something left for '09?
You may say he's washed up.

I say he boasted eight sub-70 scores in his past 16 rounds this year. If he continues in '09, it will be a huge story. (from SI's Jason Sobel Blog)

What do you all think?

PS: DD will be playing on the PGA Tour in '09 using his Top 50 Career Money Exemption Status and will need to finish in the top 125 at the end of 2009 for 2010 eligibility. This a big year for DD!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may say he's washed up.

I say he boasted eight sub-70 scores in his past 16 rounds this year.

And I say he entered 20 events and made only 5 cuts, with a scoring average of 73.73. This will be at least the fifth year in a row where everyone has gotten all excited about DD and predicted his big comeback, and the fifth year in a row where he disappoints. How many times does it have to happen before people finally realize he isn't coming back?

Yes, you may definitely say he is washed up.

DD's done. It's more mental now than anything else. Bill Rogers never came back when he fell off the map and I just can't see DD coming back either albeit I'm rooting for him.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I am not sure "washed up" should be the correct description. He is on the precipice of disappearing though. He has flashes of game, but on Tour, flashes don't make you a lot of money. Consistency DOES.

I hope DD makes it back, so he can keep his card. The British open was a bright spot for him.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Krusty - Unfortunately, I can certainly understand while you feel that way and you are not alone.

However, I am hopeful for a top 125 finish at the end of 2009 as he will be out of exemptions at year's end. I just think it is a better Tour when DD is playing well and competing.

Im not sure how DD makes it a better Tour.  Im not sure why everyone feels sorry for DD, he IS in the top 50 career $$$.  Im sure he's not sitting at home crying....  lol  If he does trim down, and get in better shape, he may pickup some confidence in his game along the way.

I really like Duval, got to watch him play last month. If ballstriking was very iffy, if he can get things together he'll have a great 2009. If he strikes it like he did when I saw him, constantly having to get up and down, he will surely have a tough time. I wish the best for him; he and his family are very nice people.

If comes back in 2009 50lbs lighter we will know he's serious. Right now, he's toast unfortunately.

If you look at when DD was playing his best it was when he was "out of shape". In 2001 when he got so thin he started to loose it. When he got on that health kick he injured his back working out so hard and was never able to adjust to his new body. I know he won the Open in '01 but he was already on the down turn. He also went through a tough period with injuries and even a case of Vertigo which made things even tougher. When you go 30 years with one body type and one swing it can be difficult to change your body type so dramatically without having some swing trouble. I think the fact that he is back to his old body type will be good for his swing and his game.

I think his biggest issue now is where he is in his life. He has said many times that since he got re-married and started a family golf is no longer as important as it once was. To play at the level that those guys play at I think you have to be a little one sided. If he wants to get back to the level he was at, golf has to become the center of his world again, and I don't see that happening. I know he has said recently that he wants to put more time into his game but once you gain the kind of perspective that he has its hard to go back to being so single minded.

I have always been a fan of David's and I hope to see him return to the form he once saw, but if he has gotten to the point in his life where he is happy with playing a few tournaments here and there than Im cool with that too.

Taylormade `16 M2 8.5 - KKDC 70TX
Titleist 906f4 - Matrix Ozik Altus 
Srixon U65 20* - Aerotech Steelfiber i95S
Srixon Z785 Raw - KBS C-Taper lite X
Cleveland RTX 4 50*, 56* (bent to 57) KBS $-TaperS
Odyssey White Hot Pro 7CS
Srixon Z Star XV

Sadly, as a Duval fan, I don't see a miraculous return to major-winning form for Duval; which is a shame because in his prime he was one of the best ball strikers and players out there and for me has been the only serious rival to Woods' brilliance in the last decade or so.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of fantasy that he'll regain some semblance of form, perhaps even to a level where he seriously contends on a reasonably frequent basis again or wins a tournament or two, but I don't see another Open Championship in his future, sadly.

What's remarkable to me (as it was in Sandy Lyle's case, and even in Seve's) was why he had such a catastrophic loss of form. I know his radical changes in body shape were mooted as a possible reason but he played his best golf after hitting the weights and losing some of the lard, even if he did begin to pick up annoyingly niggling injuries afterwards. That said, Duval's swing always looked like one that could run into problems to my untrained eye. A strong grip and everything else, that was red hot when running on all four cylinders, but always had the potential to go a bit wonky.

Fingers crossed for the lad, and no doubt the regular 'Duval's Back!' threads will continue unabated every time he hits a few fairways and breaks 70, but I'm not having a flutter for next years' Masters or for Turnberry.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

I followed David Duval at the Ginn Sur Mer Classic, in the Saturday round, this year. There where only about 30 of us in his gallery. And 10 of those 30 people were his family....wife, mother-in-law, father, Mr. Bob Duval, and some other family members I didn't know....looked like maybe cousins or in-laws. Anyway, we (my father and I) got the chance to chat quite a bit with Bob, and David happened to be playing very well that day. The main thing that Bob kept saying is that it is all in David's head. He went through a slump, but it was a mental slump. He said that now, David has gotten focused and is ready to begin that climb. Now, was he just saying nice things about his son that any father would say?

I am going to have to say not, since that day, Duval could not have hit the ball any better. He was just puring every drive, and every iron shot. Even his chipping/pitching was hot....but his putting was a little shaky. Based on what I saw, up close and personal, Bob Duval was right....it's all in his head. If he can get focused, he's got just as much physical talent as anybody out there.....and I mean anybody. We'll see if he can find that focus next year. I sincerely hope so since I am a home-town, long time fan of David Duval.

DD has always been and will always be my favorite player. Until the day he retires, I'll be pulling for him. the issue might be in his head, but its certainly not in his heart. the guy is tough and always answers questions about his form by saying he's putting in the hard work and just waiting for his game to fire on all cylinders. here's to a solid year in 2009.

question though......if he were to fall out of the top 50, then a year or two make it back in the top 50, can he use the top 50 exemption again? same could be said for the top 25 (which he has already used i believe)

DD has always been and will always be my favorite player. Until the day he retires, I'll be pulling for him. the issue might be in his head, but its certainly not in his heart. the guy is tough and always answers questions about his form by saying he's putting in the hard work and just waiting for his game to fire on all cylinders. here's to a solid year in 2009.

question though......if he were to fall out of the top 50, then a year or two make it back in the top 50, can he use the top 50 exemption again? same could be said for the top 25 (which he has already used i believe)

Correct, he already used his Top 25 Career Exemption for '07 and when he uses his Top 50 Career Exemption for '09, he will be out of exemptions as you can only use them once. He used a medical exemption for '08 since he had to miss most/all of '07 due to his wife's illness during her pregnancy with their second child together, her 5th.

I followed David Duval at the Ginn Sur Mer Classic, in the Saturday round, this year. There where only about 30 of us in his gallery. And 10 of those 30 people were his family....wife, mother-in-law, father, Mr. Bob Duval, and some other family members I didn't know....looked like maybe cousins or in-laws. Anyway, we (my father and I) got the chance to chat quite a bit with Bob, and David happened to be playing very well that day. The main thing that Bob kept saying is that it is all in David's head. He went through a slump, but it was a mental slump. He said that now, David has gotten focused and is ready to begin that climb. Now, was he just saying nice things about his son that any father would say?

I am going to have to say not, since that day, Duval could not have hit the ball any better. He was just puring every drive, and every iron shot. Even his chipping/pitching was hot....but his putting was a little shaky. Based on what I saw, up close and personal, Bob Duval was right....it's all in his head. If he can get focused, he's got just as much physical talent as anybody out there.....and I mean anybody. We'll see if he can find that focus next year. I sincerely hope so since I am a home-town, long time fan of David Duval.

I had a similar encounter following DD at The Memorial Tournament. I watched DD warm up on the range with his coach Puggy Blackmon. DD did not miss a shot during warm up and I really thought he would have a great round. However, he pull hooked his first tee shot with the driver on #10 and struggled mentally all day. I walked the first 4 holes with Puggy and he offered some great insight about DD and what they have been working on. Then on the 5th hole, (14) his wife - Susie, carrying their 1 year old daughter arrived, along with her father and her oldest son Deano (played with DD in last year's Del Web Father/Son). I met all of them and they were very genuine and very nice people.

DD's done. It's more mental now than anything else. Bill Rogers never came back when he fell off the map and I just can't see DD coming back either albeit I'm rooting for him.

Funny that you mention Bill Rogers, he was my favorite player from 1980-1984. He too, after winning the British Open, lost his game and never returned. He struggled on the Senior Tour as well. He is a great guy though, and a true Texas golf legend....

You can add Ian Baker Finch to that list as well:

Bill Rogers won The Open in 1981

Ian Baker Finch won The Open in 1991

DD won The Open in 2001

...man, you don't want to win The Open in 2011, it's a curse...

Krusty - Unfortunately, I can certainly understand while you feel that way and you are not alone.

However, I am hopeful for a top 125 finish at the end of 2009 as he will be out of exemptions at year's end. I just think it is a better Tour when DD is playing well and competing.

Im not sure how DD makes it a better Tour. Im not sure why everyone feels sorry for DD, he IS in the top 50 career $$$. Im sure he's not sitting at home crying.... lol If he does trim down, and get in better shape, he may pickup some confidence in his game along the way.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. Hell, he's made 16 Million dollars playing golf and about 7 Million more in endorsements - Nike, Oakley, Momentus, well mostly Nike...

He plays better with the weight on and actually has stayed healthier with the weight as well. He could probably loose about 15 pounds though as he currently does appear to be at his heaviest state.

I do not get the fascination with DD.

Fantastic player, one of the all time best ballstrikers in his prime and a class act with a great temperament and personality. He also seems to have a conspicuous absence of attitude or big-headedness and is an articulate and educated individual - a contrast to many of the current stars who prance about like prima donnas on the course and then struggle to string a few words together when interviewed. All in between poncing about posing in ridiculous clothes and engaging in the sort of diva-esque behaviour that would put Mariah Carey to shame of course.

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

I do not get the fascination with DD. He is toast, done, burnt, never to compete again.

I do not get the fascination with DD.

Fantastic player, one of the all time best ballstrikers in his prime and a class act with a great temperament and personality. He also seems to have a conspicuous absence of attitude or big-headedness and is an articulate and educated individual - a contrast to many of the current stars who prance about like prima donnas on the course and then struggle to string a few words together when interviewed. All in between poncing about posing in ridiculous clothes and engaging in the sort of diva-esque behaviour that would put Mariah Carey to shame of course.

he may be a class act but great temperament and personality? he was one of the most boring interviews in golf. always emotionless and somewhat robotic.

Fair comment that he's not the most animated of characters; but he's certainly an intelligent man with an insightful mind - his Champion Golfer speech of a few years being a prime example - and strikes me as someone who, although a bit guarded, at least isn't a 'let's talk about me and how great I am until everyone's fed up of hearing it' merchant with the obligatory 'nothing's ever my fault' lines and one of those 'the world owes me a bloody good living' attitudes.

I'd much rather hear an interview with golfer who's got a lot going on upstairs but filters most of it out and, in the end, says very little; rather than a bloke who insists on waffling on about just about everything even though he's actually got very little to say that's worth hearing.

After initially seeing Duval in only domestic US coverage in his early days, I took note of the permanent shades and took him to be a surly individual with about as much personality as a wet flannel. After following him around in one of his early Open Championships though, I realised that he was a handy player and actually a bit of a character. I also remember seeing his play and some of his reactions at Brookline in the Ryder Cup and realised that he was a fiery character with a great deal of determination and drive. We all know what a player he became for, as it turned out, an unfortunately brief period.

As I say, I don't see Duval scaling the dizzy heights of his 1999-2001 purple patch for a variety of reasons. Form is fleeting but class is permanent though, and what I've seen of Duval convinces me that there's enough left in the tank for him to at least regain some semblance of form if the pieces all slot into place. An in-form Duval is really a treat to see and I for one would like to see him back performing at something like his best on some sort of a regular basis. I don't think it's a pipe dream to think that he may yet bag another tournament win or two in the next couple of seasons and he's a player I always take an interest in whenever he makes an appearance. Each to their own, but there are players who I'd much rather see humbled by the game than Duval.

Fair comment that he's not the most animated of characters; but he's certainly an intelligent man with an insightful mind - his Champion Golfer speech of a few years being a prime example - and strikes me as someone who, although a bit guarded, at least isn't a 'let's talk about me and how great I am until everyone's fed up of hearing it' merchant with the obligatory 'nothing's ever my fault' lines and one of those 'the world owes me a bloody good living' attitudes.

I'd much rather hear an interview with golfer who's got a lot going on upstairs but filters most of it out and, in the end, says very little; rather than a bloke who insists on waffling on about just about everything even though he's actually got very little to say that's worth hearing.

After initially seeing Duval in only domestic US coverage in his early days, I took note of the permanent shades and took him to be a surly individual with about as much personality as a wet flannel. After following him around in one of his early Open Championships though, I realised that he was a handy player and actually a bit of a character. I also remember seeing his play and some of his reactions at Brookline in the Ryder Cup and realised that he was a fiery character with a great deal of determination and drive. We all know what a player he became for, as it turned out, an unfortunately brief period.

As I say, I don't see Duval scaling the dizzy heights of his 1999-2001 purple patch for a variety of reasons. Form is fleeting but class is permanent though, and what I've seen of Duval convinces me that there's enough left in the tank for him to at least regain some semblance of form if the pieces all slot into place. An in-form Duval is really a treat to see and I for one would like to see him back performing at something like his best on some sort of a regular basis. I don't think it's a pipe dream to think that he may yet bag another tournament win or two in the next couple of seasons and he's a player I always take an interest in whenever he makes an appearance. Each to their own, but there are players who I'd much rather see humbled by the game than Duval.

Well said Mat, agree 100%

Come on guys never say never. Doesn't anybody watch James Bond? LOL. But I feel a good year for DD will be maybe a win in a somewhat low competition field and a couple top 10's, but I don't know if that will be enough for him. I hope he does well, I enjoy watching him play. So for all intensive purposes DD will have a "good" season, I just hope it's enough to get his card for 2010. Either way, DD is a better story than JD.

• 2 months later...