2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

David Duval - 2009

kharmon

Id be willing to bet if he put his old Titleist clubs in the bag,he'd be back.You dont shoot 59 in the final round to win and then forget how to play.Phil Knight started waving all that money in front of him and he switched clubs.Coincidently,thats about the same time his game went south. I think now that Nike is making a better product,he can potentially be back to form.His priorities changed after he won the open.Yeah,he won with Nike sticks but he staggered in.Same with Phil.He played his BEST golf when he was with Titleist.Hitting the hospitality tent on the 18 hole of the US Open was hideous. I play a Callaway driver because I tend to cut my 905R a little more than Id like.The FT-5 is a perfect fit for me but Phil isnt a 7 hdcp either.

Yeah -- That's why Tiger has really started playing poorly with his Nike equipment... :rolleyes:

I think Phil Mickleson said it best a couple of years ago when he said,on record,that "Tiger Woods is the only player good enough to over come the equiptment he is "stuck" with.In the past year or so,Nike has made leaps and bounds but just look at DD's numbers of when he played Titleist and when he changed.Im aware he won the Open with Nike clubs in his bag.When I think about Nike,I just think of Tennis shoes but then again,at the level of golf these guys play,they could play well with just about anything.I remember the same thing happening to Payne Stewart.He switched from his forged blades to Top Flites and fell off the radar.When his contract was up, he didnt renew and put is own clubs {of his choosing} in the bag and was back in top form again.Literally overnight.I certainly dont mean any disrespect to Nike gear and it serves a lot of the younger players well on tour.When Tiger went to Nike he gave them his Titleist 681's and said "duplicate these except put a swoosh on it and Ill play 'em". I have a friend on tour right now {DJ Trahan} and he said it was a mistake for him to sign with Nike {at that time but he was just coming from tour school} and they made him the best offer.He left them after one year and then went with MacGreggor and is now with Titleist.I think this will shape up to be his best year on tour.A buddy had a set of "pro combo's" a couple of years ago and I hit a few irons on the range,as we were warming up and I wasnt impressed at all.Ive not hit a Nike club since and have no desire to do so.I will say that I do like the One Plat. ball but it's basicly a Bridgestone.I say, whatever works best for you,play it.Nike is not working best for DD. Just go back and look at the stats.Numbers dont lie.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my boy is T5 right now after shooting 4 under. I don't live and die by him anymore but I think if he can put a handful of top 10s together, his confidence (on the course) will increase and that will likely result in a marked improvement. at minimum he needs to finish top 125 this year or we won't see much more of him on tour ever again.

I'm a huge DD fan, have been since '99 but before I get my hopes up again I will wait to see if he can put together 4 good rounds. Very good start though.

Ping G30 10.5* Driver
Callaway Big Bertha 815 14* Fairway
Cobra Z-Fly 3-4 & 4-5 Hybrids
Mizuno MP30 5-PW
Ping Glide GW SW LW
SC Studio Design 1.5 Black Pearl

You may say he's washed up.

I say he boasted eight sub-70 scores in his past 16 rounds this year. If he continues in '09, it will be a huge story. (from SI's Jason Sobel Blog)

What do you all think?

PS: DD will be playing on the PGA Tour in '09 using his Top 50 Career Money Exemption Status and will need to finish in the top 125 at the end of 2009 for 2010 eligibility. This a big year for DD!

I like him. Miss seeing him in contention. Hope he makes a comeback :P

When I really started getting into golf DD was dominating. I really hope he can turn it around because that dude could flat out play.

I just hate hearing how great his family life is and how great it is to realize that shooting low rounds doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. It is easy to say that when you have fallen so far. You never ever hear the winner say something like that.

He just shot a 66 at the Valero Texas Open and is T6....

Indeed he did, I just got back from watching his round, it could have been even lower if he made a couple more putts on the first nine. Starting from 18 (which was his ninth hole) to 9 (18th) he was 5 under. And it was a pretty easy 5 under. It was great to see him play so well!

(PS: He is hitting an "antique" 4-ish wood often off the tee. Puggy Blackmon, his swing coach (and South Carolina Gamecocks golf director) said it was a Callaway club, and I couldn't be 100% positive, but it looked like it had the first ever graphite shaft that Fujikura made. It was REALLY old, and he hit it just as far, and sometimes further, than Leaney and Wilson hit their drivers.)

Brian

When I really started getting into golf DD was dominating. I really hope he can turn it around because that dude could flat out play.

I just hate hearing how great his family life is and how great it is to realize that shooting low rounds doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. It is easy to say that when you have fallen so far. You never ever hear the winner say something like that.

we should all be so lucky to have a family life like that. i'm not counting Duval out--he has a new motivation to reclaim his game. now that his kids are a bit older, he wants them to see their dad be successful. an excerpt from a 2006 interview:

There are four children in your family now. you've indicated one reason for wanting to play golf the way you used to play is for them. You want your kids to see what you do for a living.

Absolutely. One reason I got involved in the game was, like a lot of kids, I was curious about what my dad did. [bob Duval started as a club professional and went on to win on the Champions Tour.] I was around golf at a young age. Our kids obviously know who I am, but I'd like them to see me perform the way I'm capable of performing.

To add my 2cents DD hits it as good and even better tahn anyone on the planet at times. There are lots of guys out on tour that say when playing with him WOW! They just can not believe he is not winning, and the sound of the ball coming off the club is like no other like in a Hogan way. I don't know if he will ever win again or fade away but there are alot of guys out on the tour that in la-la land when they play with him. I know him and Puggy have been working out the left miss and DD has been working on reading greens better because he already rolls it with the best. To be honest I would say he either never wins again and fades away, or he pulls a Ben Hogan and finds a way to take the left shot out of play and becomes #1 in the world again????

(PS: He is hitting an "antique" 4-ish wood often off the tee. Puggy Blackmon, his swing coach (and South Carolina Gamecocks golf director) said it was a Callaway club, and I couldn't be 100% positive, but it looked like it had the first ever graphite shaft that Fujikura made. It was REALLY old, and he hit it just as far, and sometimes further, than Leaney and Wilson hit their drivers.)

Brian

I saw David play at Chateau Elan in early 1990's, and he had a Big Bertha WarBird 4 wood in the bag that he absolutely killed. Perhaps it's the old BB that he's dragged out again.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

Brian

I saw David play at Chateau Elan in early 1990's, and he had a Big Bertha WarBird 4 wood in the bag that he absolutely killed. Perhaps it's the old BB that he's dragged out again.

Its a Callaway S2H2 4 wood just incase you wante to know.

Brian

Its a Callaway S2H2 4 wood just incase you wante to know.

Looked like a War Bird to me........got any confirmation on this?

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

You may say he's washed up.

I say he boasted eight sub-70 scores in his past 16 rounds this year. If he continues in '09, it will be a huge story. (from SI's Jason Sobel Blog)

What do you all think?

PS: DD will be playing on the PGA Tour in '09 using his Top 50 Career Money Exemption Status and will need to finish in the top 125 at the end of 2009 for 2010 eligibility. This a big year for DD!

I don't think it was ever a case of being washed up. Didn't he have a problem with severe bouts of vertigo from head trauma while snowboarding? It's more of a medical thing.

we should all be so lucky to have a family life like that. i'm not counting Duval out--he has a new motivation to reclaim his game. now that his kids are a bit older, he wants them to see their dad be successful. an excerpt from a 2006 interview:

There are four children in your family now. you've indicated one reason for wanting to play golf the way you used to play is for them. You want your kids to see what you do for a living.

Absolutely. One reason I got involved in the game was, like a lot of kids, I was curious about what my dad did. [bob Duval started as a club professional and went on to win on the Champions Tour.] I was around golf at a young age. Our kids obviously know who I am, but I'd like them to see me perform the way I'm capable of performing.

I have a great family and I am not dimishing that at all (although I don't get to play as much as I would like!). When I hear players yap about that it just seems like a coping mechanism to give them a free pass at not performing at a high level. It's almost like they diminish the pain of their poor play and most likely, poor preparation, by saying that golf isn't a priority. Of course it isn't a priority but you are a professional golfer. If I stunk it up at my job and stopped bring in money, I wouldn't say at least I have a great family, I'm very happy, etc. It is not authentic. If you don't want to play, don't play.

That being said, I was/am a huge DD fan. I want him to come back and start winning tournaments. But he should do it for himself. It is clear that he doesn't want to prepare anymore the way he did at Georgia Tech and when he was a noob professional. For Duval, that is what it will take to get back on top and I bet he doesn't have the drive to do that anymore. So to convince himself that he isn't failing or underachieving or not working hard enough, he reminds himself that he has a great family. What he doesn't have is the drive and he won't get it by playing to impress his kids.

What he doesn't have is the drive and he won't get it by playing to impress his kids.

i disagree with that. DD is famous for his "now what?" reaction after winning the British Open. well, he now has the answer to that question--he will win again because it will be immensely fulfilling to be able to share the achievement with his family. as motivation, that's just as powerful, maybe even more so than "doing it for yourself".

the chance to make his kid proud is what drove Claude Lemieux to come out of retirement and return to the NHL, and he did it the hard way. the Sharks didn't hand Lemieiux a roster spot on a silver platter--he had to play for the China Sharks of the Asia League Ice Hockey, which had to be a powerfully humbling experience for a 3-time Stanley Cup champ and former Conn Smythe winner.

What he doesn't have is the drive and he won't get it by playing to impress his kids.

i disagree with that. DD is famous for his "now what?" reaction after winning the British Open. well, he now has the answer to that question--he will win again because it will be immensely fulfilling to be able to share the achievement with his family. as motivation, that's just as powerful, maybe even more so than "doing it for yourself".

the chance to make his kid proud is what drove Claude Lemieux to come out of retirement and return to the NHL, and he did it the hard way. the Sharks didn't hand Lemieiux a roster spot on a silver platter--he had to play for the China Sharks of the Asia League Ice Hockey, which had to be a powerfully humbling experience for a 3-time Stanley Cup champ and former Conn Smythe winner.

I hear what you are saying and yes he wasn't so enamored with winning a major. I guess my point is that Duval basically kept saying how great his family was while he sucked to distract himself and other people from the fact that he didn't want to work at the game anymore. Having a good or bad family really has no bearing in his situation.

And Lemieux didn't exactly fall off the face of the earth. David Duval didn't pack it in and begin playing poorly. He just got very bad very quickly. His kids will not provide motivation or improved skills. Lemieux just needed to get back into shape so he did.