Hogan's Secret...what is it? what is it not? (Hogan Threads Merged)

Gxgolfer

How many of you guys out there have tried to copy Mr Hogan's takeaway ( roll the FACE open ) but got the sweetspot underplane ( clubface dragged inside with the arms )..Figure this out and you may well be on your way to getting the belt buckle over your left ankle a few frames past impact..

If you use your right foot turning clockwise into the ground as a reference for takeaway you are History...in fact its a death move

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you guys out there have tried to copy Mr Hogan's takeaway ( roll the FACE open ) but got the sweetspot underplane ( clubface dragged inside with the arms )..Figure this out and you may well be on your way to getting the belt buckle over your left ankle a few frames past impact..

If you use your right foot turning clockwise into the ground as a reference for takeaway you are History...in fact its a death move

I agree, in that I feel I am turning my right leg and foot toward my left heel as I mentioned a couple of pages back....this gives you something to roll the face open against that tempers the opening. I used to feel I moved straight back...not clockwise...now my right leg and humerus go counter-clockwise. I'm not quite as left as I would like, but that move helped me get much closer.

How many of you guys out there have tried to copy Mr Hogan's takeaway ( roll the FACE open ) but got the sweetspot underplane ( clubface dragged inside with the arms )..Figure this out and you may well be on your way to getting the belt buckle over your left ankle a few frames past impact..If you use your right foot turning clockwise into the ground as a reference for takeaway you are History...in fact its a death move
LoL. Sevam's thread got taken down for this garbage thread? Will Slices' (who i respect greatly) also go down for a book, please say no golfwrx...This is the dumbest post ever eightiron. Do you have a swing to post here? Maybe something of value to back this up? Hmm. Rolling the face open on the takeaway eh, going inside and underplane? You sure about that? Nothing steep and outside going on here?Ya, that right foot turning clockwise sure is the death move. Those 320 yard drives really ruins rounds... High School was more rational...

How many of you guys out there have tried to copy Mr Hogan's takeaway ( roll the FACE open ) but got the sweetspot underplane ( clubface dragged inside with the arms )..Figure this out and you may well be on your way to getting the belt buckle over your left ankle a few frames past impact.. If you use your right foot turning clockwise into the ground as a reference for takeaway you are History...in fact its a death move
LoL. Sevam's thread got taken down for this garbage thread? Will Slices' (who i respect greatly) also go down for a book, please say no golfwrx... This is the dumbest post ever eightiron. Do you have a swing to post here? Maybe something of value to back this up? Hmm. Rolling the face open on the takeaway eh, going inside and underplane? You sure about that? Nothing steep and outside going on here? Ya, that right foot turning clockwise sure is the death move. Those 320 yard drives really ruins rounds... High School was more rational...

Thanks Kevn357 for the compliments..one day you will understand what i wrote was correct in relation to Mr Hogan's golf swing..If you hit it 320 yards then for sure i must be 420 yards..thing is I play on golf courses and have done in tournaments as well :D

Beware of wolves in sheep's ......... Gee, I've got the warm fuzzys all over. I want to publicly thank

all who have taught me so much about this fine game, this gentleman's game of golf. Stand up and

take a bow, you deserve it. Thanks in particular to my new PM buddy PP who sidled up alongside

and made a request for more of what I had to say about my thoughts on the topic here. What an

encouragement you have become to me by showing your high level of integrity. It's surely a good

thing that Geoff Jones isn't judged by the content of his followers character. Geoff is a gentleman.

Apparently, that's not something that even he can teach. Mike Maves is likewise a gentleman of

integrity and deserving of better than this. Be proud, be very proud of what you've done here

once again in taking no account for good manners or even handed debates. Well done. Tilt, eight,

et al; you guys are the best. To my new friend martinez, I offer this word of caution..... be careful

Martin. If you get too provocative with your ideas and too much attention is drawn your way, well

just be very careful. dts

EZgolfer..I don't think so buddy. If you care to read the Encyclopedia ..You'll realize there are two major ways to classify golf swings in Slices opinion..and its all in the release. So if his release is different..his impact is different..thats pretty damn big in my book. BTW i'm always referencing impact..I'll post it again Impact is king.

jduncan..I may not know whos right..DTS might be right, who knows (I still have to take a good look at what he's saying). But after reading the many posts..watching TONS of video..doing my own research..I'm pretty confident I know who is dead wrong.

And what I can tell you for sure, is that no one has produced more convincing evidence that he knows hogan better than Geoff..and he has never tried to cash off of Hogan or his "secret".

I'd love to see Slice's critique of Sevam's "Move." It's something I have been trying to get from this site but to no avail. All I found were Slice's comments on Sevam's swing where he says things like "there's a lot of Hogan in that swing." As for early move to the left leg, I read posts where Slice was highly critical of DJ Trolio's work wherein Trolio says just that. So I am a bit confused on where Slice and Sevam deviate.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Beware of wolves in sheep's ......... Gee, I've got the warm fuzzys all over. I want to publicly thank

all who have taught me so much about this fine game, this gentleman's game of golf. Stand up and

take a bow, you deserve it. Thanks in particular to my new PM buddy PP who sidled up alongside

and made a request for more of what I had to say about my thoughts on the topic here. What an

encouragement you have become to me by showing your high level of integrity. It's surely a good

thing that Geoff Jones isn't judged by the content of his followers character. Geoff is a gentleman.

Apparently, that's not something that even he can teach. Mike Maves is likewise a gentleman of

integrity and deserving of better than this. Be proud, be very proud of what you've done here

once again in taking no account for good manners or even handed debates. Well done. Tilt, eight,

et al; you guys are the best. To my new friend martinez, I offer this word of caution..... be careful

Martin. If you get too provocative with your ideas and too much attention is drawn your way, well

Couldnt have put it any better. I have picked up lots from the posts of Geoff and Mike and really appreciate their time and efforts, now enjoying Martinez, finally "got" the bow thing, cross bow is next!

You crack me up DTS...calling me out as responsible for bursting your balloon..put up DTS..I questioned all alignments that are a Fundamental in MR HOGAN"S swing ...thats right MR to you...Where were you when the heat was on when Geoff and I had arguements over whether Mr Hogan had Right Side Participation being active in his swing...Nowhere were you..just hiding in a corner like a lot of you

And BTW what would MR Hogan think of people using his name ?? May the Great Man rest in peace from these constant secret schemes

EZgolfer..I don't think so buddy. If you care to read the Encyclopedia ..You'll realize there are two major ways to classify golf swings in Slices opinion..and its all in the release. So if his release is different..his impact is different..thats pretty damn big in my book. BTW i'm always referencing impact..I'll post it again Impact is king.

jduncan..I may not know whos right..DTS might be right, who knows (I still have to take a good look at what he's saying). But after reading the many posts..watching TONS of video..doing my own research..I'm pretty confident I know who is dead wrong.

And what I can tell you for sure, is that no one has produced more convincing evidence that he knows hogan better than Geoff..and he has never tried to cash off of Hogan or his "secret".

I'd love to see Slice's critique of Sevam's "Move." It's something I have been trying to get from this site but to no avail. All I found were Slice's comments on Sevam's swing where he says things like "there's a lot of Hogan in that swing." As for early move to the left leg, I read posts where Slice was highly critical of DJ Trolio's work wherein Trolio says just that. So I am a bit confused on where Slice and Sevam deviate.

I'm sure this isn't meant to be a Slice vs. Sevam or Slice vs. VJ Trolio debate but I do know what criticism Slice made of VJ. It wasn't that it was a "bad move" it was that Geoff didn't believe the COG shift left during the latter part of the backswing was/is "The Secret". One of Geoff's basic tenants is that the COG shift is unnecessary IF you set-up on good angles and maintain them.

I'm sure this isn't meant to be a Slice vs. Sevam or Slice vs. VJ Trolio debate but I do know what criticism Slice made of VJ. It wasn't that it was a "bad move" it was that Geoff didn't believe the COG shift left during the latter part of the backswing was/is "The Secret". One of Geoff's basic tenants is that the COG shift is unnecessary IF you set-up on good angles and maintain them.

Agreed...Hey Knuckles!! Saw your swing vid yesterday...marvelous action!!!!!!!!!

This Hogan's Secret thing has run it's course, finally abused so much that nothing said about it has credibility anymore...LOL

And JD...Geoff isn't the type to knock ol Sevam and his "move" so you won't find it anywhere.

And JD...Geoff isn't the type to knock ol Sevam and his "move" so you won't find it anywhere.

And what has Sevam's theory to the question of CoG shift ? Noone, even you can say that Cog shift is not necessary. I agree that Hogan's was an excessive one after the accident, prolly because of injuries, but swinging without a CoG shift is an entirely wrong concept. That's why Hogan's elastic tape drawing without mentioning about the necessity of a pre-turn lateral shift would have been worthless.

Unless you two are talking about the CoG shift IN THE BACKSWING, so it changes the whole picture and make my posts worthless in this discussion...LOL.

Cheers

but as i said earlier i do see instances where slice had no problem busting on hardy and trolio and to some extent MORAD/S&T. Slice even used the acronym "FOS" when commenting on hardy's claims about BH's secret and hardy's 1PS. it was the "FOS" remark that got jeffy's panties all in a bunch ... LOL. which is the real reason i made this post, just like the way "got jeffy's panties all in a bunch" sounded. LOL

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

And what has Sevam's theory to the question of CoG shift ? Noone, even you can say that Cog shift is not necessary. I agree that Hogan's was an excessive one after the accident, prolly because of injuries, but swinging without a CoG shift is an entirely wrong concept. That's why Hogan's elastic tape drawing without mentioning about the necessity of a pre-turn lateral shift would have been worthless.

Unless you two are talking about the CoG shift IN THE BACKSWING, so it changes the whole picture and make my posts worthless in this discussion...LOL.

Cheers

They are talking about the backswing.

MGWP,

You're right, of course. Someone asked me in another thread about how much weight I had on my right side at the top of the backswing. It's significant, probably 75-80%, but it's not from a big lateral move nor did I consciously move it to the right.

Awesome thanks Knuckle, now we're getting somewhere. (Takes the power of youth to just answer questions directly without a bunch of name calling, inuendo, riddles and pitching of their own ideas.)

Next question: at the point in your downswing where your hands are even with your right foot (i.e. in the process of passing them), how much weight is on your right side? And how much pressure do you feel in the ball of your right foot?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

MGWP,

You're right, of course. Someone asked me in another thread about how much weight I had on my right side at the top of the backswing. It's significant, probably 75-80%, but it's not from a big lateral move nor did I consciously move it to the right.

Agreed, doesnt the COG shift automatically regardless of any lateral move. If you stand still and put both arms out to your right, your weight is now over the right leg, confirm it by trying to lift your left foot off the ground then doing the same with your right foot. Similarly if you put both arms out to your left the COG moves left. With a club in your hands the shift is even more assured.

Honestly, I don't know! I would guess very little but that happens too fast. I'm trying (I think) to get it all over the left pivot point. Regardless, I'm no Ben Hogan so I wouldn't use me as the model, lol

Since we're covered in ice down here I love reading this stuff (because it's about golf and I can't practice) but I'm more worried about getting it in the hole so I haven't dissected it to the point a lot of you guys have so I should probably follow the "read more, post less" rule!

MGWP,You're right, of course. Someone asked me in another thread about how much weight I had on my right side at the top of the backswing. It's significant, probably 75-80%, but it's not from a big lateral move nor did I consciously move it to the right.
Awesome thanks Knuckle, now we're getting somewhere. (Takes the power of youth to just answer questions directly without a bunch of name calling, inuendo, riddles and pitching of their own ideas.) Next question: at the point in your downswing where your hands are even with your right foot (i.e. in the process of passing them), how much weight is on your right side? And how much pressure do you feel in the ball of your right foot?

Just to warn you it seems like you are getting super technical with all of this knowledge. I tend to drift that way too, but try to stop myself. As when I get too technical I lose any natural athleticism to my swing.

What do you guys think of this 'drill' in the linked video? I call it a drill in this context. I point stuff out like this to my friends all the time and they just laugh at me and say I am paddling up a creek without a paddle, but I say they are disregarding small details that could be valuable.... I have been contemplating posting this for a week, so don't bash me too hard.

Pay attention to the pre-shot routine he is doing before his first swing in this video. In particular how he starts it, it is almost like he starts moving his feet to get his upper body moving. And then he starts going left before he gets to the top of the swing. In other words, don't think about a such % of weight on a foot, just let the weight flow like he is doing here. I believe this is how Hogan felt during his real swing, this can be discussed, maybe someone will enlighten me.

Honestly, I don't know! I would guess very little but that happens too fast. I'm trying (I think) to get it all over the left pivot point. Regardless, I'm no Ben Hogan so I wouldn't use me as the model, lol

Since we're covered in ice down here I love reading this stuff (because it's about golf and I can't practice) but I'm more worried about getting it in the hole so I haven't dissected it to the point a lot of you guys have so I should probably follow the "read more, post less" rule!

Thank you Knuckle, that's very helpful. I am stuck in a particularly brutal NYC winter so I know what you're going thru. One more question if you don't mind: what are the setup angles that Slice emphasizes? If you don't want to answer because it violates your "read more, post less" rule that's fine too.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

jduncan..were you reading the thread. The study was posted in response to dts claimed more that more weight was on the right side during the downswing and at impact..or he at least referenced some studies that showed that to be true. So I took the time to find some more recent studies, and shared them, which show quite the opposite. You can easily examine hogans pivot and tell where his weight is during his swing, or at least get a decent idea. Bottom line is Mike looks nooooottthiiiiing like Hogan and he's the biggest proponent of his little (once profitable) secret. So if Mike's using the torque/inversion deal..and he doesn't look like hogan in any of his videos (even the ones where he claims to) then how the hell could that even have a remote possiblity to be the secret. Its a bunch of crap IMO and people are looking to rid themselves of literal and metaphorical buyers remorse.

Keep to the topic at hand re: Hogan and his weight distribution at or just prior to impact. The needless pot shots at sevam1 are annoying and what creates the ill will in these threads. There is no literal buyer's remorse on my part, so speak for yourself.

Fats,Dariusz and knuckle..

With regards the COG ..I think the word is 'CONSCIOUS"

With a good set up and set at the top the resulting movement of the COG should just happen and not be a CONSCIOUS MOVE...

Opinions?

I agree as that's exactly the way it is for me...

Anyway...This Hogan's Secret thing is a load of BS anyway...interesting topic BTW, but 99.9% BS

With a good set up and set at the top the resulting movement of the COG should just happen and not be a CONSCIOUS MOVE...

Opinions?

Anyway...This Hogan's Secret thing is a load of BS anyway...interesting topic BTW, but 99.9% BS

Great Fats, and what are the setup elements/angles you'd emphasize so we can get that 00.1% that's not BS!!

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

MGWP,

Awesome thanks Knuckle, now we're getting somewhere. (Takes the power of youth to just answer questions directly without a bunch of name calling, inuendo, riddles and pitching of their own ideas.)

Next question: at the point in your downswing where your hands are even with your right foot (i.e. in the process of passing them), how much weight is on your right side? And how much pressure do you feel in the ball of your right foot?

<p>

Just to warn you it seems like you are getting super technical with all of this knowledge. I tend to drift that way too, but try to stop myself. As when I get too technical I lose any natural athleticism to my swing.

<p>

What do you guys think of this 'drill' in the linked video? I call it a drill in this context. I point stuff out like this to my friends all the time and they just laugh at me and say I am paddling up a creek without a paddle, but I say they are disregarding small details that could be valuable.... I have been contemplating posting this for a week, so don't bash me too hard.

<p>

Pay attention to the pre-shot routine he is doing before his first swing in this video. In particular how he starts it, it is almost like he starts moving his feet to get his upper body moving. And then he starts going left before he gets to the top of the swing. In other words, don't think about a such % of weight on a foot, just let the weight flow like he is doing here. I believe this is how Hogan felt during his real swing, this can be discussed, maybe someone will enlighten me.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The RELAXED right leg going through shows no pushing or shoving with the right foot at all...

Opinions?

Great Fats, and what are the setup elements/angles you'd emphasize so we can get that 00.1% that's not BS!!

I'm not giving anything I know away...If I did I'd certainly read about it under someone elses name...I'm sure of that.

Go see Geoff Jones like I asked you to and all these questions you ask will be answered first hand. Seems simple to me JD.

I'm not giving anything I know away...If I did I'd certainly read about it under someone elses name...I'm sure of that.

Go see Geoff Jones like I asked you to and all these questions you ask will be answered first hand. Seems simple to me JD.

Love to, but he's in TX and I'm in NYC. :beee:

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips