2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway FT-iQ

Driver is as straight as advertised. With the tour vers. you can hit slight fades and draws. Does not appear to be as long and lack of serious draw means that you won't get significant added roll distance. Still relatively early but the more you play it the more you like it. Swing away cuz it's going down the fairway.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the FT iq ti fix my occasional slice. The Ft iq took an occasional slice to a constant duck HOOK. WORST club I've ever hit I wish i didn't drop 500 on it. :black eye:

Thats a shame - I certainly hope there is an exchange/refund you can get.

I traded stuff to get the Tour iQ and in the limited time I have had to hit it, I have to giggle like a nerd.... I am amazed at how it suits my swing. Hope you find a good replacement!

• 2 weeks later...

Curious. How does this shaft compare with the FTi Speeder 586 shaft? And how is the overall driver compared to the FTi? I'm looking for someone who's had both. I really like the Speeder shaft in my FTi and neutral face. Now you get a closed face (on the standard model) with no options. That's going backwards and charging the same price IMHO.

Bottom line from someone who's played both extensively. Which is better FTi or FTiq?

Curious. How does this shaft compare with the FTi Speeder 586 shaft? And how is the overall driver compared to the FTi? I'm looking for someone who's had both. I really like the Speeder shaft in my FTi and neutral face. Now you get a closed face (on the standard model) with no options. That's going backwards and charging the same price IMHO.

Bottom line from someone who's played both extensively. Which is better FTi or FTiq?

FT-iQ. Clearly better all around. Better flight, more forgiving, better sound and straighter, if you can believe it. It WILL NOT curve. If you mishit it and it goes right, it's a STRAIGHT right. It is a MUCH better driver than the FT-i. The Speeder shaft is better IMO, but the stock Fubuki isn't bad either.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Spent some time out at the course today and yesterday trying different drivers. Played with this driver for a while...it was a 9* w/Fubakai 60 stiff. It was a little light for my taste but it seemed to have a good feel and the ball didn't balloon like I thought it would.

This club is straight. If I pulled it left, it went dead left straight. If I cut it, it went straight right. I had to really over compensate to get any thing but straight. It's a lot better than my father in law's Nike Sumo square. Of course that is the first square version. Didn't look as long as my Nike Sumo...But this was at the range?

I didn't care for the way it looked, but that's personel preference. If you want something straight, it's deffinatly that. For reference my ss is 105, 2 hcp, avg drive 250-270. Natural ball flight, fade.

Callaway Epic Speed 9.0* Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Epic 15* Hazurdus 65
Callaway Epic 18* Hazurdus 65
Takomo 101t 4-pw Steelfiber fc90cw 
Bridgestone J15 56* Project x PXI 5.0
Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"

you seem to have good insights on the FT IQ; I just ordered one, stiff, 9.0, non-tour. Hit it at the club fitting net and was the winner over all others. Consistantly hitting it 260 on the monitor, felt so solid. My natural ball flight is draw...concerned that I didn't get the 1 degree open. What is your handicap? Any additional feedback would be helpful.

Hit the 9.5 Tour version with the stock Fubuki shaft (stiff) at a demo day this past Saturday. (8.5 the first time)

Same terrific launch and flight. Couldn't slice it. Could draw it very slightly. Basically straight as an arrow and appeared to be quite long.

I will try to take my current driver and this FT-IQ to a course late one afternoon and hit a dozen balls with each to get a feel for distance.

For those that don't like the price ($499, 529 Tour)

That's just about $100 over the premium drivers of most companies right now. If you hit, say, just 2 more fairways per round for the next couple of years, would THAT be worth the extra $100 ??? :rolleyes: Extra $200 ?

C'mon now - tell the truth !!! :good:

I tried the FT IQ at a local golf store and was sold on it based on the monitor reading of 260-270 yard drives and a very solid feel at contact.

Once the club arrived (stiff, 9.0) I took it to the course where, as advertised, it is very straight....problem is ball flight was too high resulting in about 10 yards of lost distance v. my F Speed Cobra 2006 model.

I'm not sure whether it's worth the $$$$ v. my old Cobra, although the FT IG was hitting more fairway, I want it all in a new driver. Distance and accuracy.

KP 8.2 index from NoCal.

I've had a cobra sz440 for 3 years now. I went last year and hit all the latest drivers including the FT-I, I didnt notice any difference and actually hit the sz 440 just as far. This year, I thought to try the FT-9 since I had heard all the hype about the DT-9 with Fubuki 63. I went to the local golfmart and they ghost taped up an FT-IQ 10 stiff, FT-IQ 10 Reg, FT-9 9.5 tour stiff, Ft-9 10 stiff, and adams something. Going into it I was thinkig Ft-9 all the way. Needless to say after hitting 59 balls the FT-IQ was the clear winner. It was at least 10-20 yards longer on the fly than my cobra sz440 and was much straighter. No matter how hard I tried, the ball would only go straight. I could actually go back further in my backswing (which alwasy spells disaster) and hit the ball, and it actually went 20 yard further than all my other drives, straight!! Wow, Ive never ahd that happen before. I went back and forth between the ft-iq 10 stiff and cobra and could hit much more pronounced fades (not a slice) with the same swing. I'd go back to the FT-IQ, same swing and hit it dead nuts straight. I bought one the same day, I couldnt believe it. I am getting out on Sunday so I should know more once I put her in play. I typically drive the ball 240-260 in the summer. Right now I am more like 220-240 so either the cold weather makes that much of a difference or I lost a lot of strength over the winter. So if I can get my average drives up to 260-280 now, I will be ecstatic.

I also noticed the balls hit with the FT-IQ would have tons of rollout after first hit, they almost seemed to spring forward. The Cobra balls would bounce once or twice and stop. I think I will get at least 10-15 yards extra roll alone. So if you take the cold weather, rock hard range balls, rubber tee(which I hate) and I am hitting 225 on the fly consistently or more with FT-IQ. I can only imagine with summer weather, tourix balls, and tee'd up to my liking equalling 260+ yards every drive. I am so excited, its been a few years since anything like this has got me jacked up.

I hope this review helps someone as I know 500 is a lot to drop but its worth it!!! BTW I am currently a 16.5 handicap if that helps at all.

Paul

I tried the FT IQ at a local golf store and was sold on it based on the monitor reading of 260-270 yard drives and a very solid feel at contact.

Once the club arrived (stiff, 9.0) I took it to the course where, as advertised, it is very straight....problem is ball flight was too high resulting in about 10 yards of lost distance v. my F Speed Cobra 2006 model.

I'm not sure whether it's worth the $$$$ v. my old Cobra, although the FT IG was hitting more fairway, I want it all in a new driver. Distance and accuracy.

KP 8.2 index from NoCal.

Sounds like you found your driver that needs a reshaft to a lower launch.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I lusted after the FT-iq all through the Christmas holidays, and kept going back to Golfsmith to demo it. I was hitting it 260-270 on the launch monitor about half the time, straight down the middle, but I still couldn't pull the trigger simply because of the price. To me, $499 = retardedly overpriced, especially when you see the mark down prices on the hot clubs from last year or the year before. Finally after months of obsessing about it, about three weeks ago I bought the Tour 9.5 on eBay for $389, no tax, free shipping. Still a lot of cash to part with, especially with the brilliant state of the economy, and I caught a massive earful from my wife about it, but all in all I have to say it was worth it. Every time I've been out since I got it my drives are consistently 250+, and almost always in the fairway.

I'm swinging easy, it's going straight and far, what more can you ask for?

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the 11* non-tour in regular.

Started out with this club going very straight and long (about 240-250), but the ball flight was very high and was getting zero roll. It was so bad I would find the ball 18" away from the ball mark in the fairway. Yes, I was putting ball marks on the fairway! Had it re-shafted with the Enzo 70R and cut to 44.5. This lowered the launch angle, gave the club some weight and put it at a perfect D2. I'm now getting a much better trajectory and roll out.

As an example, today I brought it into the local golf shop to test it against the Diablo on the launch monitor. I tested the diablo 9* stiff and 10* regular in neutral. The FT-iq was out-driving both clubs by 20 yards and was much straighter as well.

Last year I had the FT-i. The iq is straighter, handles mis-hits better and hits longer. The iq is also much quieter. But you can get a heck of a deal on an FT-i right now!

Oh man, I just picked up an FT-IQ this evening. I needed a new driver (up until today, I was hitting the Taylor Made 360), so I tried out the Ping G10, Callaway Diablo, Taylor Made Burner 09, Taylor Made R7 CGB Max and the FT-IQ. I'm a 15 handicap, and I have ridiculous spin on my drives (about 4500 RPM). I was able to hit lower, farther shots by far with the IQ than with anything else, and I was able to keep spin down to around 3500RPM. I'm definitely a big fan!

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

i bought the ft-iq based on the reviews and i did like the ft-i. i took it out saturday and i have never been so dissapointed with a driver. this thing is nothing but hooks all day long for me. i feel like i have thrown $499 down the drain. looking for something else now.

I have to pretty much agree with this statement...I am about a 7 -8 HCP and can draw a little or fade a bit with my old Cleveland Launcher Comp...wanted a second set and tried the FT-IQ on the monitor together with Ping Rapture V2, G10, Taylormade TP model, and another one I cant remember now...hit the IQ great on the Monitor, little lower flight but about same spin rate I had before in the mid 2000...didnt think to much about the 1 deg closed (which looks more like 3- 4 deg to me) face...took it out to range, fairly low hooks all the time...no idea but I couldnt hit the thing even on my second session...went to Cally Fitting Center and tried another one, same model (by then the closed face got really annoying) then the tour version, then the draw and neutral FT9...not to my liking (for Cally's CS defense I have to say that they offered to free exchange to any other model I wanted)...ended up returning it to Watts and exchanged for the Rapture V2 w/ Diamana BB...

i bought the ft-iq based on the reviews and i did like the ft-i. i took it out saturday and i have never been so dissapointed with a driver. this thing is nothing but hooks all day long for me. i feel like i have thrown $499 down the drain. looking for something else now.

I have to pretty much agree with this statement...I am about a 7 -8 HCP and can draw a little or fade a bit with my old Cleveland Launcher Comp...wanted a second set and tried the FT-IQ on the monitor together with Ping Rapture V2, G10, Taylormade TP model, and another one I cant remember now...hit the IQ great on the Monitor, little lower flight but about same spin rate I had before in the mid 2000...didnt think to much about the 1 deg closed (which looks more like 3- 4 deg to me) face...took it out to range, fairly low hooks all the time...no idea but I couldnt hit the thing even on my second session...went to Cally Fitting Center and tried another one, same model (by then the closed face got really annoying) then the tour version, then the draw and neutral FT9...not to my liking (for Cally's CS defense I have to say that they offered to free exchange to any other model I wanted)...ended up returning it to Watts and exchanged for the Rapture V2 w/ Diamana BB...

From what I understand the stock FT-iq is close faced AND draw weighted. I wish Callaway would have done a better job of getting this info out there. For those with a strong draw and many low HCPs, the standard FT-iq is probably not going to be for you. The FT-iq tour will probably be a better fit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the imix shaft system and have used all of the callaway heads - the FT-5, FT-I, FT-9 and FT-IQ. The FT-IQ is a solid 5 and blows all the other heads away - the face feels extremely hot, the ball flight with my diamana blueboard is very penetrating, and only an absolute horrible swing will result in anything other than a straight ball flight. I hit about 20 balls each with 3 pieces of impact tape and had an incredibly tight pattern all within the hyperbolic x face area. I've never had such pure contact consistently shot after shot with a driver before. There was always the occasional hit on the toe or low on the heel. Something about the way this club helps me visualize moving into the ball on an inside swing path just has me crushing it in the sweet spot every time. Also I noticed that in my address position the club head wants to sit just slightly open - so even though the specs say the club face is 1 deg closed it looks neutral to open when placed on the ground. I am a 9 handicap with a 98 mph driver swing speed and hit everything in the bag straight to a slight pull/draw except for my driver which has always tended to be a fade on good swings and a slice or block right on poor swings. I've been in search of the perfect driver for the last 2 years and have probably owned about 15 drivers during that time. The only other driver that even comes close to the FT-IQ is my Hi-Bore XL with a Fit-on Red shaft (which I still own). I can't see being able to hit any other driver straighter or with as much center face contact as the FT-IQ.

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE THE fubuki x flex. in the tour. it is stock 63 on the tour model. u sure u dont have that one. anyway. yes it is too light. but really i am a lead tape nut, so are many pros. just put about 2 inches on the shaft around the shaft label below grip. another 3 inches center back of head. presto a heavier club, shaft still effectively just as stiff, no need to spend money.

ive turned an ft-i ozik code 6 into a code -7 with about 15 inches of lead tape. believe me ive done this several times by taping one then ordering the heavier shaft same model. if you know your swing enough and can judge effects of tape, you can dial in any club.

every club in my bag has lead tape except my wedges, oddly enough. tiger has often taped his drivers on the shaft. especially early in carear. just dont overload one end of club or the other. the more tape you add even it out. you can make a club play less stiff with too much tape on end of club, also up the swingweight. example if you take a your driver, swing weight d3. put 2 inches near grip and 4 on head, might up sw to d4, i personally like d5. if still too light but like d4 swing weight, then add another 2 inches further down a bit on shaft. you just added 8 inches of lead tape to the club, or turn your 63 into a 71. can be ugly. but i really dont care. to be honest that white fubuki goes with the gray tape anyway, and u dont see tape on bottom.....

hooks all day long.....i had fti ozik, no problems at all with hooks, then got tour iq hook fest.

i almost sold it, didnt. glad i didnt. yesterday played 45 holes missed 3 fairways.

something about that fubuki, i have no idea, but way left. i usually get that in a stiff, i play x which is what i have. stiffs usually spin too much and also disperse too much. well all i did was put the ball like 1 inch farther back in my stance, which usually causes a push. not the case. actually now causing a very consistent lower 5 yard draw. even when i heel it it goes and goes. this thing is much more forgiving that ft-i and now that i found the right ball position i am very happy. i have 8.5 thinking i could use 9.5 with that ball position. im gonna try a srixon as opposed to my normal tp reds to raise flight a bit hopefully enough.

Played nine holes with the head pro's son (he's a +2). He plays this driver with the Fubuki shaft, and he CRUSHES the ball. Wow. It's really impressive. Dead straight, and long, long, long.

My point? This appears to NOT be just a "high handicapper" driver, or a driver "for those who need to cure a slice." This +2's thinking with this driver is that the square shape allows him to swing harder when he needs to, and the ball will continue to go straight. Sounds pretty smart to me.

I have never been a Callaway guy (for reasons I can't really put my finger on), but seeing this driver in action in the hands of a great player had me intrigued.

I've been playing my R5 TP for the last 3 years... When my swing is on, and i find the center of the clubface, I can bomb the thing, but i'd say i'm happy with 1 out of every 5-6 shots I hit with it... for example in todays round i hit it 7 times and only 2 of them were "decent", 1 of which was a 300 yarder down the middle...

I just ordered the FT-iq Tour 9.5 and will be hitting the course with it this week... I'll add my .02 when I get some feedback from it mid week...

If all the talk about straight is legit i'll drop 5 strokes off my game... alot of times i hit a long iron off the tee, cause i never know what i'm gonna get from my driver... i'm probably around a 10-12 cap right now, but if i could find more fariways i could probably drop that to an 8 easily, as my short game is pretty good...

Holy macarony loaf guys, you must all be Tiger woods talking about workability with your driver...

I was a solid 12 hadicap the last 2 years and my biggest problem was the dreaded fade moving to biiiig slice, tried many drivers and the Cobra was the best..

Then I tried the IQ wow wow wow its worth every penny no more slice, I bought it after 1 demo round. I am even working on a draw now and RARLY miss the fairway and if I do the misses are small. Distance is as long or longer than any driver I have hit (Ive had a few)

If you struggle with a slice you have to try it

I have the FT IQ 11 deg, Mitsubishi Fubuki 60 stiff.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing off 15 right now, sick of losing shots to crappy drives. So I'm fully sick of my R7SQ, I think it's beat and needs a new shaft at least. So I went to Callaway Golf Center and demoed the IQ tour w/ Fubuki 63 Stiff .... DAMN! This thing is impossible to hook, which is my problem when my backswing gets laid off. Straight, far, maybe touch of fade which I used to have! LOVE THIS DRIVER. No matter how hard I swing, how OTT or laid off - this thing just goes. So, after 2 demo's, I'm bidding for one now.

I am just getting back into the game after a 15 year lay-off (was a 12 HC). I needed to upgrade all my clubs (my 20 year old driver looks like a 5 wood of today). I have a bit of a slice/fade and was interested in the FTi. Tried it at the store and chilli-dipped it five times. Figured it was me needing to get uset to it. The price was scary but Callaway had their promotion of getting two fairway woods for $1.00! So all three clubs were $500.00. Can't beat that deal.

Went to the range and chilli-dipped the first five again. Made some adjustments and started hiiting the ball better. After about 15 balls was hitting them veryyyy straight and long (270yds).

Have hit about 300 balls so far and really like this club. It helped eliminate my big fade and I am able to generated more club head speed because of the light weight (which any new driver will do). But I feel the design is what is helping with my fade.

I bought the regular flex at 10 degress.

Great club in my opinion and the two free woods justified the cost.