2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway X-22 Tour

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these clubs are the perfect transition clubs for someone such as myself who is going from a GI iron to more of a player's iron(My previous set was Srixon 403 AD's which are great GI irons) or for a player who wants just a bit more forgiveness than a blade but is interested in the ball going a direction other than just straight all the time. I love them.

I have 5-PW 6.0 Project X's.

Went out and played 9, wished it was 18 but only had a little time to kill. Again wow, these are awesome, just love the way they feel and my distance is the same if not a little better than my X-18's, I am so glad I made the switch, hope it is going the same for everyone else with the X-22 tours!!!!

X-22 tours Project X 6.5(non flighted)

I am currently using Callaway X-14 pro series irons. I am wanting to buy some new irons. These irons have been great but I think i'm ready for a new set. I have played golf for about 10 years, but only serious for the last 3. I ended last year around a 16 to 18 handicap. I was looking at the X-20 tour and X-22 tour irons. Do you guys think the Tour Irons are going to be to much of a jump for me right now? Or should I step down to the X-20 or X-22 irons instead?

I feel like I have a pretty good golf game, my biggest problem is getting off of the tee. Everything else to me seems OK.

Thanks

Hi,

I might've been wrong about the X-22 Tour iron set, my set has the .355T hosel, looks like most of the X-22 Tours now have .370P.

Previously I'd stated that the X-22 Tours felt clunky to me, this was with Ns Pro 850GH 85gm .355T shafts.

I installed Ns Pro-100 109gm .355T shafts from a set of Titleist irons and must say the extra shaft weight made a real difference, I didn't need as much tip weight to get the clubs to D2.

I think the problem with my game may have been the lighter 85gm shafts, first round with Ns Pro-100 and shot an easy 2 over par with many missed birdie putts. The lighter X-22 Tour heads needed more tip weight than I like to use.

The X-22 Tour irons felt softer than my X-20 Tour irons, these currently have the Ns Pro 850Gh shafts.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

Just picked up my X22 Tours from the local shop today... thanks for all the discussion here, it really helped.

Coming from the X14's, the X22's feel very familiar. I got the 6.0 Project X Flighted shafts. I'm pumped to try these things out tomorrow (golf on 3/21 in Minnesota!!). From the simulator and net I hit them in while I tested the clubs out, they feel very strong and very forgiving. I almost went with a set of X-Forged from last year to save some money, but I think the forgiveness is what made me pick these. The X16, X18 and X20's just didn't do it for me... something about this set makes me feel very comfortable and confident. Lets hope it translates to the course.

Cheers...

• 2 weeks later...

I am close to possibly buying these.

I've gone back and forth with tons of this year's offerings for irons. I have floated between higher GI, and more of a player's iron. I am using blades right now, but I've tested a lot of different stuff....

Basically I find something in these irons that just fits a criteria I have. I think some player's irons are just plain hard to hit period, even those that clam a little forgiveness.

These seem to actually have decent help, BUT still retain a real look of a player's club when I look down on them. I especially like the fact I can -feel- the shots. No, not as much as a blade, but again I want some forgiveness and these guys are in the front running while giving me shot making ability. The thinner sole this year, and the overall profile is more in the direction of player's iron, but I like that. The old ones (last year) were too big.

So far I've been testing against: Nike split forged, VR blade, Mizuno MP57,MP52, TM Tour Preferred, X Forged, and a few others.

The Xforged is close. But again, it isn't truly a blade, and obviously not forgiving. That's what I'm using. I want maybe just a touch more help? Then again, the X Forged is actually probably the most forgiving blade I've ever hit. I think after a while you might have to jump into the 'cast' club to get a certain level of forgiveness in a -small- head. There's only so much weight you can move around on a small forging.

Anyway, I haven't done it yet. I still don't know about the PX Shafts. I don't hit irons that hard. Maybe high 80's, I seem to almost be between a 5.0 and a 5.5. Very unsure about that part. So we'll see. I'm up for advice, but for anyone reading, these are a really nice offering.

cast

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my X22 tours yesterday and they are pretty sweet. I have never hit a 200 yard six iron before.

I played Wilson Staff for years but with lack of playing I switched to Big Bertha's. My game has steadily gone down hill.

After getting a Callaway giftcard I decided to do the custom fitting thing. I originally was eying the regular X22's but the launch monitor showed I had superior results with the tour edition. Very solid feel and my ball moves with a slight draw. I was all over the place with the Berthas, which I thought would help me. Turns out I spun them way too much. My two cents, but I love these irons.

I play of 2 hcp and with a swing speed of around 85-87 mph. I play the Callaway X 20 tours with 5.0 shafts (feel pretty firm) and also I hit my eight iron around 155 yards? Would you guys recommend switching over to the X 22 tours? What are the advantages of this club besides the softer feel?

/lead

I called cally 3 times they told me to jump off a cliff and pay them 300 bucks

i talk to a club fitter here and he said that all i will lose is distance about 10 yrds by sticking with these 6.0 if that is true then it is no big deal I hit a 8 iron 150 now so if I have to hit a 7 iron 150 so be it. Will i lose anything else

well then if that is the case you lied or were wrong on your first post saying you are 86 mph and should you get the 5.0. With that swing speed regardless of style of swing or impact you are a 5.0 or 5.5 at best. You are also not getting 150 with the 8 iron. you would need a 90+ consistent swing for a chance at regularly hitting it that far.

unless you hit all your iron as thin wormburners?

ps cally switched my clubs and shafts for free...guessed i asked nicer ;)

• 4 weeks later...

:clapping: Prior to a wrist injury I played Nike Forged blades with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts. I had been playing them for 4 years and lowered my handicap from 14 to 9 during that time. After recovering from 2 wrist surgeries (broken navicular) I returned to the blades and just couldn't get the same distance, nor could I get around on them any longer. It was frustrating needless to say.

After much prodding from dad who plays Callaway, I finally broke down and agreed to try a fitting at the Callaway fitting center in Carlsbad mid February. The folks took very good care of me and clearly understood my predicament wanting to continue improving with clubs that could help me lower my handicap further. I tried everything from the Fusion to X22 and the forged blades. Almost ready to give up, I was given the X22 tour irons with the new Aldila prototype shafts and the difference was astounding. I went right back to the results I was producing prior to my surgery. Ball speed picked up and the weak fade disappeared after 20-30 shots on the simulator. I was stunned.

Admittedly these clubs weren't cheap, but golf is my passion and my chief hobby so I was prepared for the investment. That said, I was somewhat dubious as to whether I could produce the same results on the course. Within three rounds I tied my best score of 77. I have gone on to shoot 77, 78 and several 79's and low 80 scores since March when I received the clubs. I have frequently been on pace to shoot 74 and 76, but my putting still needs some work, but I am hoping for a breakthrough in the near future.

I play 1/2" short but standard loft, lie and grip. I hit an 8 iron 140 yards and a 5 iron 175-180 yards if that helps anyone compare distances. The dispersion is tight and these have been the first clubs I have played that have given me the confidence to know that when I try to hit a low stinger as opposed to a high fade, I can pull it off. I play 2-3 times a week and now play to a 7 handicap.

As I continue to learn the game, these clubs are a great fit and I am amazed to find that as I discover and attempt new shots, the clubs allow me to pull them off. Most importantly of all, is that I have not had any wrist pain. The move to graphite shafts has been a good decision and I must admit that I can't tell the difference between the Aldila Prototype and steel.

These clubs are probably not for everyone, but I highly recommend the Callaway fitting center. The service and knowledgeable staff are impressive and they are truly interested in finding the clubs that will fit you best.

I am a 8 handicapper. I just made the switch from Tommy Armours 845s with graphite to the X-22 tours, with the PX 6.0 shafts. I've only hit them once on the range, but I love them!! The switch from graphite (don't ask me why I ever was hitting graphite) to steel is definitely something that is going to take me awhile to adjust to - the weight difference is substantial - but these clubs are awesome!!!!! They look great at address and they feel so smooth when you strike them. I haven't taken advantage of the new iron technology over the past 10 years - so I feel like these are the greatest things ever invented. Not only has my feel been much improved, but my distance has jumped considerably - I'm taking the 4-iron 225+ yards - with my 7-iron landing 175+ yards. I don't really care about distance once I'm inside of 150 because the difference between a 9 and an 8 isn't substantial, but it's nice to have the extra distance when you're 190 out and hitting a 6-iron instead of a 5-iron. I'll update this again once I get a chance to hit them again, but my first impression is pure amazement! I need to keep up with the technology going forward!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought these two weeks ago and so far I have 6 rounds under my belt with them. The long and short on these irons, they are great with decent feel, rediculous distance and great workability. The 2007 X Forged feel better as do the newer 09 X forged line but the X22's offer a lot more forgivness for those off days. I have mine fitted with PX 5.5 flighted shafts which seem to work great for me. Distance is rediculous. 165 yrd 7 irons are no big deal, same goes for 155 yrd+ 8 irons depending on the lie and you do not need a huge swing to achieve these results, of course it should be noted that the lofts on these irons are 1 degree stronger then most, even with that, I am still a lot longer with these then I was with my Titleist 695CB which had the same specs. Takes some time to get used to, I am used to having to hammer a 7 iron 165 yrds, now I just have to make a nice easy swing. I have hit the 5 iron well over 200 yrds on many occassions on some par 3's which has caused some issues. With that said, they are still nice around the greens. The ball does not just jump off the club face and you can still get some touch when needed. Flight is high with these especially with the PX flighted shafts.

All in all, best cast irons I have had to date. Definately work a look.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

just got a set w/ 6.0 flighted. was gaming a titleist 690c/b w/ tts300.
awesomes sticks but i do find my distances are off a bit. i hit my 7I 165-170. my PW was 120-125 but the x-22 barely gets to 110yds. 6.0's are stiffer but i have to get some range work in with them. they are very forgiving and i love that i finally take a divot on all shots compared to a more sweeping thin pass thru the ball i got with the 690's. I may have to get the lofts checked on these. :rolleyes:

I like these irons when i had them with PX 6.0 but sold them quickly after the leading edges dug really bad for me since i take a divot to say the least. I then went '09 X-forged PX 6.0 and problem fixed. AMAZING IRONS! I am honestly thinking of going with possibly a 3 and 4 iron of the X-22 tour and dulling the leading edges to death and mixing them with the 5-9 (possibly the PW too) then X-forged blade wedges.. Anyone else do this?

• 2 weeks later...

Question about the 22 Tours, I have been playing for 2.5 years and now am about a 20 handicap. I currently play a G5 set with regular flex shafts that are too soft for my swing now(driver SS ~104 mph, 7 iron carry about 168 yards) and I feel leads to a little inconsistency at impact. I find myself drawn to clubs with a thinner topline and a little less offset, can't explain it they just 'fit my eye' better. So my question is will I completely regret getting 'player' irons? I have played with my fathers X-18 pros with little to no issues, but just concerned that getting the 22 tours would be a mistake. Any insight would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have both the X-20 Tour and X-22 Tour iron sets. I would compare your X-18 Pro to X-20 Tour.

What I've noticed is the X-20 Tour are a little more more forgiving, but the X-22 Tour give me a more penetrating and less deviation ball flight, I hit the X-22 Tour irons generally closer to the pin with more shots being pin high, rather than short or long.

With the X-22 Tour irons, the weight saved by the slightly small head size and thinner top line has been placed at the bottom of the club, making them less forgiving than the X-20 Tour irons, but with more mass directly behind the ball at impact.

I think changing to the X-22 Tour would be a good move for you if you wish to continually improve, they're not unforgiving, just better.

Cheerz :):D;)

[quote name='pittman22' post='1915223' date='Aug 27 2009, 12:38 AM']Question about the 22 Tours, I have been playing for 2.5 years and now am about a 20 handicap. I currently play a G5 set with regular flex shafts that are too soft for my swing now(driver SS ~104 mph, 7 iron carry about 168 yards) and I feel leads to a little inconsistency at impact. I find myself drawn to clubs with a thinner topline and a little less offset, can't explain it they just 'fit my eye' better. So my question is will I completely regret getting 'player' irons? I have played with my fathers X-18 pros with little to no issues, but just concerned that getting the 22 tours would be a mistake. Any insight would be much appreciated.[/quote]

• 1 year later...

The idea is that the rifle-flighted's allow the longer irons to launch higher to get more distance and you don't need a higher launch at the 9i/PW end because the loft already does that. I think the end result is that the PW end plays more stiff than the 3/4-iron end of the series (for rifle flighted).

From their web site:

[b]"Project X
[/b] A proven winner on the PGA Tour, the patented RIFLE design features a discrete constant taper for each shaft in the set. Longer taper rates result in more energy transfer to the ball, getting the ball up faster and flattening out quicker for a penetrating trajectory and ball flight.

[b]Project X Flighted
[/b]In addition to the playing characteristics that have made the Project X shaft a tour favorite, the Project X Flighted features an exaggerated change in kick point within each shaft throughout the set to optimize ball flight through the bag. Long irons provide a lower kick point for higher ball flight, easier launch and greater distance, while the short irons have a higher kick point for a lower trajectory, greater accuracy and control. "

[quote name='golfer98' timestamp='1232830198' post='1444843']
what's the difference between the "flighted" PX which are standard on the new Callaway X22-tours and the "regular" PX which are standard on the Titleist AP2's ?

thanks
:partytime2:
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter