Callaway X-22 Tour

X-22 tour iron

Performance irons designed for accomplished golfers seeking premium feel and stability. To improve on the highly successful X-20 Tour Irons, Callaway Golf engineers added new features that allow the X-22 Tour Irons to play even better and feel even softer. Precision Notch Weighting and a new sleeker hosel combine to raise the MOI for better stability and allow the CG to be moved lower and more in line with the center of the face. This generates ideal trajectories and significantly enhances the level of feel. The head shape has been refined with the thinnest possible topline while still using a 360-Degree Undercut Channel, and the optimized sole width progression provides better turf interaction.

X-22 Tour, Precision Notch Weighting, Project X Flighted, Tour Proven Head Shape, Sole Width Progression

post-11-1220938421-1_thumb.jpg

post-11-1220938421-2_thumb.jpg

post-11-1220938422-3_thumb.jpg

post-11-1220938423-4_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a quick pre-review review. I only got them a few days ago and have been to the range twice in 20d weather... like hitting rocks on a frozen lake!

I am about a 30 handicapper... and I switched from X-16's to the 22tours mainly because I got tired of the tennis racket feel of the thick rounded 16's and wanted something cleaner and more accurate. Wanted to get the forged, but at my handicap I think the players irons are a stretch enough... so why be greedy?

I absolutely love these irons! I find they are better for me since I can actually tell what I am doing wrong by the flight of the ball, rather than do the same wrong thing over and over with the game improvement irons. The flighted rifle shafts are much better for me than the uniflex. You can really understand the penetrating ball flight on say a 9 iron and the high kick on say a 4. I feel like I have alot to work on, but these are the right tools to work with!

They feel pretty soft, and the added meat does inspire a little more confidence than one would have with a true blade. The sharp lines around the face feel more precise than the 16's... and they are pretty solid all around! I will post again after I have had them for awhile, but I felt like they needed some sort of review on here so a preview is better than nothing!

Just reading the review that indyvai wrote. I have the x20's now. Regular not the tour edition. I really really like the X-22 Tours. I too like the slim down version with less offset. My handicap after last season ended being 18. Little scared on switching to a harder club to swing. I can draw my X20's, but can't fade them at all (just goes too straight). I am a solid ball striker just not very long. 7 iron goes about 150.

If you were in my situation would you go for the X22's? or just hold on to my X20's?

You could be able to handle the x20 tours or 22's. However you should be prepared to have a break in period or time to get used to a less off set, and very narrower sole. i saythat because it will be much easier to dig the sole on the tour than your x20 which have more bounce. I say this because i went from the x18 to the x 20 tours and had this problem. However once i got passed it i have never looked back!

they look fairly forgiving if you are coming from a blade or player type iron such as mp-52 or first generation x forged. They do look thinner than the x20 tours...like the x tour irons imo

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

how is callaway marketing this in terms of swing speed? Should you be a higher swing speed player to use these clubs? Or avg to faster is fine?

The feel of the club is 10x better then my x20's. Distance was pretty much on par with my x20's. Didn't see a huge difference. The x22 tours just felt better. Alot less bulkier. There is still snow in Ny so i havent played a round with them though. They are amazing at the range though. We will see how they turn out when I actually get out with them in late March.

Excellent irons, I just wish that the top line was a tad thinner!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

are the X-22 tours forgiving enough for a 14 handicapper? :partytime2:

I think you'll be just fine. If you're playing stiff, go to the 5.5's and if you're playing regulars, go to the 5.0's. The 6.0's are boards.

I can reply to both. I am a reg flex player in all irons and woods. i use fusions right now in uniflex and due to some hooking with offset want a less offset iron. I also want forgiveness but a slightly thinner profile.

I agree with other poster that i wish it was a tad slimmer, it truly is not much different in that regard compared with my fusions which are not bulky.

But i tried them in a sim and was shocked how much i liked them and thankful that i did not get the x forged as i never got a soft zuno like feel.

My plans were to get my next irons in the x forged model but it was not good for my swing. I am a 13 handicap and this iron will work well for low handicappers and if iron play is decent, i think up to the mid teens.

ON a weird note, i swing slow, but they only had 6.0 in stock (i will go back to test 5.0 which is r flex) and although it was like swinging a lead pipe, i still hit it good. Actually farther than i hit other irons in test. This does not mean i am a stiff just that in the right flex my gut says it will be a really nice iron. I am in lust and the pics orginally turned me off.

good lesson to see and hit in real life. I wish i could do outside but its too cold in toronto :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gang, I just finished shafting my new X22 tours over the weekend. I installed KBS tour stiff shafts. Now these are tour issued heads I picked up from a fellow WRXer. Some people say there is no difference between tour issue or regular store bought clubs. I lean more toward the tour stuff but that is just me.

I will set the stage a little. I am a die hard Titleist player and have been for years. To be honest I wouldn't consider Callaway clubs EVER...... For some reason the X22 tours caught my eye and I thought I would give them a chance.

Well....

The only thing I have to say is awesome. They are really nice to hit. They set up nice, distance is great and forgiveness is fantastic. I know what you are thinking, how do they feel compared to a forged club. Please keep in mind, I have played forged for 20 or so years. In my opinion they don't feel like a forged club but darn close to it. Everyone agrees Muzuno's are a little softer feeling then Titleist. The X22s defiantly are not buttery soft like the Mizuno's but they do feel close to my Titleist 695s and to me feel way better then the AP2s. I do wish the top line was a little thinner but I will get used to it pretty quick. Now the KB Tours are a great shaft as well and have some bearing on feel as well.

So a really great looking club that is more forgiving then my 695cbs that feels and looks just as good. Hmmm no brainer for me.

I hope this help any of you that are on the fence.

Driver- Adams Speed Line Classic 10.5
Irons - Adams XTD Tour - 4-PW
3 wood-Adams Insight XTD Pro-FP400F 14.5
Hybrid -Adams A12 Pro 20*/23* AXIV 100g stiff
Putter- Scotty Cameron - Circa 3
Wedges - Yamaha 2013 Inpres X - 52*/ 56

I bought the X-22 tour irons with the 6.0 shafts but my swing speed is only 86 MPH should I pay the 285 bucks to switch to the 5.0 shafts will I really gain that much

I'd try to sell them and buy a new set w/ the 5.0. I think there would be less $ loss. And you'd have brand new again.

note: i bought my 4-pw that were a month old for $550. =0) So you could resell for about $78 a club i spose.

I bought the X-22 tour irons with the 6.0 shafts but my swing speed is only 86 MPH should I pay the 285 bucks to switch to the 5.0 shafts will I really gain that much

I'lll bet a call or two to Cally cust serv could get this addressed for you far more reasonable than 285. Depends on who you talk to and how you talk to them. If tell them truth, just bought too stiff, often, at least for me, they reshafted sets for next to nothing, if not nothing.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I called cally 3 times they told me to jump off a cliff and pay them 300 bucks

i talk to a club fitter here and he said that all i will lose is distance about 10 yrds by sticking with these 6.0 if that is true then it is no big deal I hit a 8 iron 150 now so if I have to hit a 7 iron 150 so be it. Will i lose anything else

I now have my X-22 Tours, they look sweet, hit the 7 iron on thier vector thing at the place, if that plays true to outside then I am in love, I am going to the range with them today and going to play next week(hopefully).. Just glad to have them, now I get to play them. I will report back with some results from the X-22 Tours after a range session and a round hopefully

I went out and played a quick nine today, it was windy 20+mph, so distances were hard to compare to what I was expecting because of wind, but they sure felt awesome, no shanks, some fat and some thin shots but the majority of them were good shots. Very happy with the X-22 tours cant wait to play them in better conditions......

I called cally 3 times they told me to jump off a cliff and pay them 300 bucks

i talk to a club fitter here and he said that all i will lose is distance about 10 yrds by sticking with these 6.0 if that is true then it is no big deal I hit a 8 iron 150 now so if I have to hit a 7 iron 150 so be it. Will i lose anything else

well then if that is the case you lied or were wrong on your first post saying you are 86 mph and should you get the 5.0. With that swing speed regardless of style of swing or impact you are a 5.0 or 5.5 at best. You are also not getting 150 with the 8 iron. you would need a 90+ consistent swing for a chance at regularly hitting it that far.

unless you hit all your iron as thin wormburners?

ps cally switched my clubs and shafts for free...guessed i asked nicer ;)