2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Time to get rid of hybrid.

vgagolfer

Is it time to get rid of my hybrid.
I got a Cally FT 3H hybrid for Christmas. I don't hit it very well so I decided to change out the shaft with a DG S300 SL and proceed to hit it worse than before. I'm talking about hooking or slicing it 30 yards left, right. It's pretty bad. As for my 5 wood, it's almost perfect. I can hit within a 20-30 ft circle from 200-210 yards away about 80% of the time.

I know that people say to hit down on it and so on. I tried it and results are not much better. My question is has anyone gone through this transition and experience the same thing and fought through it and become better with a hybrid? Or do you think that with my swing, I should just give up on a hybrid and go get a 7 wood?

I had such a high expectation of the hybrid but ended up being so disappointed. But then again, it's probably just my swing.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a Cally FT 3H hybrid for Christmas. I don't hit it very well so I decided to change out the shaft with a DG S300 SL and proceed to hit it worse than before. I'm talking about hooking or slicing it 30 yards left, right. It's pretty bad. As for my 5 wood, it's almost perfect. I can hit within a 20-30 ft circle from 200-210 yards away about 80% of the time.

I know that people say to hit down on it and so on. I tried it and results are not much better. My question is has anyone gone through this transition and experience the same thing and fought through it and become better with a hybrid? Or do you think that with my swing, I should just give up on a hybrid and go get a 7 wood?

I had such a high expectation of the hybrid but ended up being so disappointed. But then again, it's probably just my swing.

I was there for a long while. Just could not hit a hybrid to save my life, kept hooking them or being inconsistent with them. The funny thing is, I finally found a hybrid that I can hit perfectly without any problems and be very consistent with and it is the Cally FT . I personally love those and they fit me well.

That being said, why try to force a swing change to fit a golf club when you can keep your swing and fit a golf club to your swing? If you hit a 5 wood that well and accurate 80% of the time, and I assume that maybe 15% you are off but can live with it and maybe the last 5% are awful, well, I would get the 7 wood.

Maybe if you wanted to turn pro you can work on your swing for the sole purpose of hitting a hybrid, but seriously, why? Go get the 7 wood, keep a hybrid to screw around with on the driving range, and play the club that you can hit more consistently with.

(as for hybrid advice, you may hit the 5 wood better because you swing harder with it. Try to hit the hybrid at 80% of your speed and see if that helps before you try to change your clubs and/or your swing.)

Don't be afraid of the 7 wood...or the 11 wood...or the 13. If you hit your five wood good, there's every reason to believe that you'll hit a seven wood good, too. A Steelhead III 7 wood could be had cheap, too. I've played both hybrids and fairway woods. Hit the hybrids OK, hit the fairways better. I'm not saying give up on hybrids if you're determined, you may yet find one you like. But I can hit any shot with a high lofted fairway wood that others hit with a hybrid or long iron. I just have to put up with the jokes from my playing partners about my "old man clubs."

Problem is likely ball position. Common mistake most folks make with hybrids is treating them like fairway woods especially if they are a sweeper. Play the ball towards the middle of your stance as if you are hitting a 5 or 6 iron making sure you make a descending blow. One of the challenging and rewarding things about golf is the significant variances in shaft lengths and ball positions. Being able to master them all is quite satisfying. Put in the effort on the range and you will conquer it.

Problem is likely ball position. Common mistake most folks make with hybrids is treating them like fairway woods especially if they are a sweeper. Play the ball towards the middle of your stance as if you are hitting a 5 or 6 iron making sure you make a descending blow. One of the challenging and rewarding things about golf is the significant variances in shaft lengths and ball positions. Being able to master them all is quite satisfying. Put in the effort on the range and you will conquer it.

based on personal experience i agree, i moved back the ball in my stance and wa la! everything worked well.

vgagolfer:

You have had this club for less than a month and are already going to give up on it? Have you tried working with a swing instructor for a short lesson to see if they can figure out if it is the club, your swing, ball position or what is going on? Maybe the shaft / head combination is wrong?

My point is maybe give the club time, have someone take a look from the outside and see if they see what is going wrong. Maybe a hybrid isn't meant for you (not all players like or swing well with hybrids) but in less than a month of playing I would be surprised if you have given things a fair chance.

Just my two cent, I hate to see guys sell a club and then wish for it back 3 months later.

I wouldn't necessarily give up on hybrids. I tried a ton of them without much success and had actually gone back to my 5 and 7 fairway woods. I swore I was done, than about midway through last year I stumbled onto the Ping Rapture. Shafted it up with a NV 105 and wow, what a surprise. No snipin damn hooks! No moonballs ...I mean I can actually hit low punchers with these things, and hit them out of damn near any kind of lie. I swear, there oughtta be a law, cuz it's like cheatin!! I like them so much I now own the 18, 21 and 24*. Hell, I'd bag more if they went higher!

If the Cally isn't working for you, try something else. there are a ton of good hybrids on the market today.

To the OP if you need to hit a 4I from the fairway do you take a divot? Todd

No I don't take any divot. I'm pretty much a sweeper.

If you sweep the ball a low-profile 7wd will be much easier to hit IMO.If you are happy with your swing I wouldn't fight it! I couldn't comfortably hit hybrids til I revamped my swing (much steeper and take divot now). Todd