2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Driver heads and shafts for Senior Golfers

teespoon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a consistent basis I hit a Lynx regular Aldila shaft 10.5 degree 220yd. When I get relaxed and warmed up on occasion I can hit 250 yd.

I don't know why but on the back nine I seem to tire around the 12th hole so my driving (and game) from there on is marginal. With that I do have to say that I eagled #15 (a par4) from 170 yd out with a 3 hybrid.

Maybe at 71 yrs old I should not expect too much as I am beating my younger partners.

I will be 57 in a few months and am in above average physical condition. I struggle with distance, not because of my age, but because of an annoying habit of releasing the club head too early and often coming over the top.

My guys kept teasing me about my NIKE driver and the fact that I was usually about twenty yards short of their efforts off the tee. I caught a sale on the TM BURNER driver that I now carry and it alone has increased my distance by twenty yards. The addition of the 3,5 and 7 woods has completed the transition and these clubs are LONG. They suit my swing (which is improving) and have been easy to control. The THREE WOOD is the only club that has an aftermarket shaft, as I bought the head from a buddy and had the shaft as a pull-out from an unsuccessful driver combination. It works GREAT in the TM BURNER 3 (FUJIKURA TOUR PLATFORM 26.3, REG flex, not tipped from the driver application).

A recent putting lesson has yielded the best results for me and when it gets warmer, I will be sharpening my short game and hope for a decent season.

66, 225 to 235, r7 Quad TP, Fuji Rombax 6V 05 Reg. Year before last, I bought the Taylor Made Burner TP in both 9.5 and 10.5 and shafted the 9.5 with a Rombax 6X 07, and the 10.5 with a Rombax 4X 07 both in Reg flex.

On the extreme drive, the 2007 Burner TP's were 10 yards longer, and with both 9.5 and 10.5 being equal in distance. However, with the TM r7 Quad TP, my averages are higher by 5 yards, and my fairways hit were twice as many.

I've had (4) different 460 cc headed drivers, and I have trouble getting them all to turn over, whereas the smaller 400 cc models seem to work better for my swing.

This year I'm going to try the TM r9, and the Cally FT-9, just to see what happens. :bb:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• 1 month later...

Interesting reading about what you other older more mature guys are using and how far you are hitting. I was hitting a Ping G10 with a UST Highlaunch Regular shaft and the head at 10.5 degrees. While I liked the club, I still felt like I could do better. I am 62 and have a rather slow swing speed of 80. Have a hard time making a turn sometimes with a stiff lower back. Yesterday I was fitted for a TM Burner 09 model. I hate to say this but I am moving to a HT with a M ( stands for mature not senior ha ) shaft. The launch monitor showed better numbers for me and I was turning over very shot that I made for extra distance.

I will be using the club later this week, if the snow melts! Man I hate winter. I will keep you informed.

Denny

At 73 years of age I'm certainly losing distance and having tried numerous 55 gram shafts (Grafalloy/Aldila/Graphite Design) my current driver head/shaft combination is certainly helping some: Ping G5 12 degree offset/Harrison Mugen (red) 'A' flex' total length - 45 inches. As I cannot hit 'through' the strength of the 'A' flex, I'm thinking of trying the same shaft in the 'L' flex as it has the same 3.8 torque rating.

If your drives are making the 220 yard mark including the run out, the Mugen Red could be worth a try. If your drives are flying 220 in the air, stick with what you've got and let me know the name of your pills ! !

Hello Warbirdlover : Thanks for the tip but I'll pass on those pills.........they give me headache !

Reading through your bag I noticed you have a Speeder 586 in one of your drivers - would appreciate your comments on that particular shaft. I've long been convinced that it's all in the shaft but, being a lefty, trying different shafts can be an expensive pastime. However, having heard some excellent reports/comments about the 586, it's just about at the top of my short list.

I guess I will need a softer shaft than the regular flex you're playing with but would appreciate knowing your swing-speed and whether you consider the 586 plays true to flex...........Thanks in advance.

At 73 years of age I'm certainly losing distance and having tried numerous 55 gram shafts (Grafalloy/Aldila/Graphite Design) my current driver head/shaft combination is certainly helping some: Ping G5 12 degree offset/Harrison Mugen (red) 'A' flex' total length - 45 inches. As I cannot hit 'through' the strength of the 'A' flex, I'm thinking of trying the same shaft in the 'L' flex as it has the same 3.8 torque rating.

If your drives are making the 220 yard mark including the run out, the Mugen Red could be worth a try. If your drives are flying 220 in the air, stick with what you've got and let me know the name of your pills ! !

Jenner,

I cut the shaft on a G5 12* Driver, for a guy who is my age, 68, and the lower swingweight helped him about 8 to 10YDS off the tee. You might find a little swingspeed trying yours at 44 to 44 1/2". Those G5 heads are great.

JMO

teespoon

Hello Warbirdlover : Thanks for the tip but I'll pass on those pills.........they give me headache !

Reading through your bag I noticed you have a Speeder 586 in one of your drivers - would appreciate your comments on that particular shaft. I've long been convinced that it's all in the shaft but, being a lefty, trying different shafts can be an expensive pastime. However, having heard some excellent reports/comments about the 586, it's just about at the top of my short list.

I guess I will need a softer shaft than the regular flex you're playing with but would appreciate knowing your swing-speed and whether you consider the 586 plays true to flex...........Thanks in advance.

Jenner

I have read the 586 in the FTi is not the "real" Speeder but I'll say this. For me it is perfect. I wouldn't hesitate a moment on recommending it to anyone and it seems to play to flex. I've owned about every driver known to man and almost every shaft also (except the big dollar ones). Other shafts that have worked well for me are the OEM Ping TFC129 in the G10, the NVS and this Speeder. I understand the shaft in the new FTiq is a good one also. Quite similar to the 586. I also have pretty much found out what shafts don't work for me and those are usually the ones the "flat bellys" in here play. I used to play stiff flex also. I've found that you need to put your ego aside and get a shaft that actually bends with your swing speed. Makes a huge difference. My swing speed btw is 90-100. I guess at 62 years old I can live with that. I also have a very high smash factor, usually getting it right on the sweet spot. Shot shape (after working on my swing for two years) is now straight or a slight draw. Used to be a fade or slice. I like a square face.

I am 56 years old with a 88 SS. Carrying about 220 consistently with a Srixon Z-Rw 10.5* with an Aldila NVS 65 R flex shaft. Most importantly, the NVS shaft, torque at 3.6, reduced the strain on my elbow and helped heal my golfer's elbow. And, the Lamkin Stingfree grip I put on the driver is also helping with that quite a bit. Though I have small hands, I use Golf Pride DD2 mid-size grips on my irons as they help tremendously with the bad arthritis I have in my hands. As we get older, its all about finding what works, isn't it gentlemen?

• 1 month later...

i am in the same situation as you were in. i currently hit a ping g 10, 10.5* driver, regular flex. yesterday at demo day at the course i play had a demo day. i hit a 09 tm burner. mt, with a m flex shaft. when i hit the on the range the ball appeared to go further. question, when you took your burner to course did you find longer tee shots. thank you

I recently went to a Ping G10 at 12* with their stock soft regular shaft. Nice increase in launch angle, the ball went further, and really, really easy to hit! In fact I got such a high ball flight that I'm going to drop down to the same G10 in a soft regular as I suspect that it might be THE combination (how many times have I said THAT over the years...???).

Another alternative I've been playing with that works fairly well is the Tour Edge Exotics in 10.5 degrees with the Fuji Vista Pro 60 in an A flex. Easy to hit, forgiving, and the distance has been noticeably improved as well.

I've reached the point where the softer flex shafts with a torque of at least 3.5* in light weights seem to do the trick for me (if you haven't read any of Tom Wishon's books, do yourself a favor and grab 'em), it's now a matter of what head goes at the end of the stick.

• 1 month later...

At 61 and a SS of 90mph I regularly drive about 240 yards. I use a TM Burner 2007 with an Aldila NV65 Stiff shaft. I feel that this shaft/head combination should be too stiff for me and therefore from time to time I try other drivers with regular or A shafts. However I find that to maintain consistency and distance from the tee I need to return to the Aldila stiff shaft.

Thanks for the comments on the Speeder 586, one of the shafts I was thinking of for my new I-Mix FT-9 10* neutral head. I've played an FT-3 10* Neutral with a glued (made for Cally) NVS55-S and noticed some distance loss from around 220 average this year after turning 61. I paid for a LM session and found my SS had dropped to an average 85 with a high of 90. Now I am looking at R flexes with lower kickpoints and mid spin; the opposite of what I was looking for in years past. The stock made for Cally ZCOM 60 for the FT-9 (not tour model) in R surpassed my FT-3 combo but I will be demoing the NVS55-R and a few others in the near future. My swing seems to have developed a shorter arc and a faster...perhaps too fast...tempo with age and I need to consider that in the hopes of recouping my distance. Yes I know, exercises might help.

The FT-9 seems a little spinnier and much more forgiving than the FT-3 for me.

My dad is 62. He's a pretty good iron player, hits his hybrid nicely, but just couldn't hit a driver to save his life. Weak fades were good drives and short slices were not uncommon.

We went to a demo day recently as I was in the market for some new wedges. He wasn't looking to buy anything, that is, until we got the the Adams tent. A rep put the speedline draw 10.5 with an prolaunch axis blue in A flex in his hands and wow. I haven't seen him so happy in years. He was smoking the ball and had no choice but to buy it on the spot.

We've since played 2 rounds and he has hit the ball 250+ on 3 different occasions. That is an absolute bomb for my dad and he never thought he would ever see a par 5 in 2 again until now. I am thrilled that he is enjoying the game again and hitting shots that bring him back to the course. I'd encourage you older fellas who are slowing down a bit to give the speedline a go. In my experience, you won't regret it.

I have just bought a Cobra S9 senior with GD 45 gram shaft. I'm 52, slow swing speed. tried different heads and shafts and this senior model gave me the best ball flight and carry. The head is 11.5 but these modern drivers with the light shafts seem to get the ball into the air ok. Driver is my biggest letdown so lets hope i have made the right choice.

I am 64 and have lost a lot of body turn. I have a Callaway I-Mix FTIQ with a Fubuki 63 regular shaft and it works well for me (most drives between 190 and 220 and almost all straight). I expect that this club will stay in my bag for a long time.

I am 61 and I also have lost a lot of body turn with an occasional big flaw of turning through more than I had turned back.

My driving distance is about the same as yours with my new Callaway FT-9 10N w/Fujikura zCOM 60R shaft in I-Mix. I had played a round each with the zCOM 60R, Cally Fubuki 60R (too high) and 60S (too low with a noticeably higher kickpoint/bend profile), and bought the zCOM because I hit all my fairways that day. That said, I ordered an I-Mix Fubuki Tour 63 in R and expect it next week. I had particularly liked the feel of the Fubuki 60R and hope to maintain the ZCOM distance but gain that smooth Fubuki feel. Good to hear that the 63R is working for you.

Edit 6/24/09: The I-Mix MR Fubuki Tour 63 R arrived and after one range session, it is a clear winner. Nice mid/high trajectory with good rollout and wonderful feel. Thanks for the suggestion Stevearinoarizona.

• 2 weeks later...