2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Scotty Ball Tool - Rules

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.pgatour.com/2008/r/08/12/camero...mark/index.html

Quote from this article:

"Everybody thinks ball markers have to be round, but the rules changed five years ago," Cameron said. "Now you can use anything. It could be a phone book if you want.

This is not correct. There was no change on marking 5 years ago, and a ball can not be marked with a phone book. Where do they get these ideas from?

But a Kevin says, nothing wrong as long as the marker is moved prior to the stroke.

But 44$ ????

Hi,

I was wondering if the Scotty Cameron ball tool can really be used as advertised.

I know it states USGA approved but according to the rules no direction helpers are allowed.

Does anyone know if also R&A approved it.

Thanks

Andy

Scotty has a great, How To Use video that is worth the time to check out.

Click For Video Page

http://www.pgatour.com/2008/r/08/12/camero...mark/index.html

Quote from this article:

"Everybody thinks ball markers have to be round, but the rules changed five years ago," Cameron said. "Now you can use anything. It could be a phone book if you want.

This is not correct. There was no change on marking 5 years ago, and a ball can not be marked with a phone book. Where do they get these ideas from?

But a Kevin says, nothing wrong as long as the marker is moved prior to the stroke.

But 44$ ????

Please show me where you couldn't use a phone book to mark your ball.

Kevin

20-1/16 Method Used to Mark Position of Ball

Q. The Note to Rule 20-1 provides that “the position of a ball to be lifted should be marked by placing a ball-marker, a small coin or other similar object immediately behind the ball.” Is a player penalized if he uses an object that is not similar to a ball-marker or small coin to mark the position of his ball?

A. No. The provision in the Note to Rule 20-1 is a recommendation of best practice, but there is no penalty for failing to act in accordance with the Note.

Examples of methods of marking the position of a ball that are not recommended, but are permissible, are as follows:

• placing the toe of a club at the side of, or behind, the ball;

• using a tee;

• using a loose impediment;

• scratching a line, provided the putting green is not tested (Rule 16-1d) and a line for putting is not indicated (Rule 8-2b). As this practice may cause damage to the putting green, it is discouraged.

However, under Rule 20-1 it is necessary to physically mark the position of the ball. Reference to an existing mark on the ground does not constitute marking the position of a ball. For example, it is not permissible to mark the position with reference to a blemish on the putting green.

When moving a ball or ball-marker to the side to prevent it from interfering with another player’s stance or stroke, the player may measure from the side of the ball or ball-marker. In order to accurately replace the ball on the spot from which it was lifted, the steps used to move the ball or ball-marker to the side should be reversed. (Revised)

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I never thought about a phone book. What was I thinking? I have been using a concrete block for several years and it is getting to be a real pain at times. My wife hates it when I leave it in my pocket and she does the laundry, not to mention what it is doing to my back!

:man_in_love:

I have found it stretches my pockets. I have designed a special back pack that you can use to carry the phone book, and it is not intrusive to your swing as long as you use Stack & Tilt. It may get in the way for a Hogan type Rotory swing, but only if you use a snap release.

You can buy it today for the introductory price of $99.95, and I will include the phone book of your choice, with hand drawn alignment lines in the color of your choice.

Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.

Local sales tax applicable

Lifetime warranty

Your mileage may vary

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The Rules does not specify that you can't use a phone book, a chair or an elephant to mark the ball with, but I'm quite confident that the RB's would not call it precise.

I would not - even to make a joke - suggest that it was OK.

Not even a glove is regarded as a "small object" and the ball must be re-dropped, if it hit the glove in the drop. (D.20-2a/7)

I never thought about a phone book. What was I thinking? I have been using a concrete block for several years and it is getting to be a real pain at times. My wife hates it when I leave it in my pocket and she does the laundry, not to mention what it is doing to my back!

:man_in_love:

I have found it stretches my pockets. I have designed a special back pack that you can use to carry the phone book, and it is not intrusive to your swing as long as you use Stack & Tilt. It may get in the way for a Hogan type Rotory swing, but only if you use a snap release.

You can buy it today for the introductory price of $99.95, and I will include the phone book of your choice, with hand drawn alignment lines in the color of your choice.

Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.

Local sales tax applicable

Lifetime warranty

Your mileage may vary

Kevin

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

A $44 ball marker... You're kidding me right?

The funny thing is, he'll sell millions of them because everyone will see his name on it, and I guarantee that some site will be selling the "Tour Only" Miura forged version of this ball marker made with a stronger metal with lines that were etched on using a special process that ensure that they are accurate to within .0000000000005 microns.

The Rules does not specify that you can't use a phone book, a chair or an elephant to mark the ball with, but I'm quite confident that the RB's would not call it precise.

I would not - even to make a joke - suggest that it was OK.

Not even a glove is regarded as a "small object" and the ball must be re-dropped, if it hit the glove in the drop. (D.20-2a/7)

Not making a joke. Did you even bother reading the posted decision? What does re dropping have to do with the procedure used for marking a ball?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Anyone care to tell me how this thing is supposed to be used?

Here you go:

http://www.scottycameron.com/studio/articl...ails.aspx?id=31

Kevin

Thanks! (Well, no thanks. LOL) It's used exactly as I thought -- you're aligning IT to the line, and your ball to IT (and not the ball to the intended line). I'm not feeling it.

Anyone care to tell me how this thing is supposed to be used?

Here you go:

http://www.scottycameron.com/studio/articl...ails.aspx?id=31

Kevin

Thanks! (Well, no thanks. LOL) It's used exactly as I thought -- you're aligning IT to the line, and your ball to IT (and not the ball to the intended line). I'm not feeling it.

Not my deal either, I can't look at the line on the ball without freaking out. I only want to see white. Probably a great tool for those who think differently about the line. Thank goodness, saved me $44.00! :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I can never used the line on the ball to line up, if I line it up where I think then when I get over it the line isn't right. I just gave up and just putt. But I would like to try the new ball marker see if it help.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic 15
Callaway Steelhead 19
Callaway Steelhead 22
Callaway Apex CF16 5-SW
Callaway MD Forged 58
Rife Two Bar Hybrid Blade
Srixon Z Star XV
Ping Pioneer

I definitely need to use the line on the ball -- but that's it. I don't need to line up something else, and then line up the line of the ball to the marker line. I mean, why add a step?

Whatever works. Some folks like chocolate, some like vanilla, I like them mixed...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The ball marker needs to be used for it's primary purpose. There's a provision in the rules (14-3) about unusual use of equipment. I can't imagine ever being penalized for lining up the ball marker at the hole as long as you pick it up before you address the ball. Now if I could get my hands on a ball marker that shoots out a laser identifying the break of the putt and some glasses with filters so I'm the only one that sees it I'd be good to go :)

This is from the PGATour.com article:

"Cameron got the idea earlier this year after he became aggravated watching professional golfers spend so much time going back and forth between the ball and the hole to make sure their balls were aimed properly at the cup."

....So....he's saying that his new $44 ball marker which is designed to be used with a simple five step alignment process along with the Titeliest's patented A.I.M. system (aka a line on a golf ball) is borne out of frustration with slow play on the greens?

Lord help us. Here comes the 7 hour round. Thanks, Scotty. Way to be.

Not for everybody but it has merit to be usefull.

Good piece of innovation from Scotty, it just shows why he is good as what he does, the guy is always watching and thinking.

Like to know what made him think it was worth $44? :crazy:

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x