2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What are your biggest pet peeves on the golf course?

Mike116

Slow play, lack of etiquette
I don't like slow play. Golfers who play from the back tees, when they can barely reach the fairway with they're tee shot. Also golfers who remove the ball from the cup with their putter blade. The last group, I offer to remove the ball from the cup for them. Rather than see them ruin the rim of the hole. What are your pet peeves on the course?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people who do not repair ball marks (esp. in tournaments), people who pick tees that are not on par with their skill level though in certain cases I am okay with it (someone is playing bethpage for ex and wants to see what the pros play it like), and def slow play...when people are not ready to hit when its their turn and they have just been fuddling around

Taylormade M3 440
Taylormade M3 15
Titleist 716 T-MB 2
Mizuno MP18
Vokey SM7
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

when people stand right behind me while I'm on the tee box or putting. Can't stand it!!!

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Tensei Orange 1K 70TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro White 70TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider S
TP5X 24'

I don't like slow play. Golfers who play from the back tees, when they can barely reach the fairway with they're tee shot. Also golfers who remove the ball from the cup with their putter blade. The last group, I offer to remove the ball from the cup for them. Rather than see them ruin the rim of the hole. What are your pet peeves on the course?

good point about removing ball from put with putter, I can't stand it when people do that. :russian_roulette: Two others are slow play and people not fixing ball mark, or replacing divots. Their are times when i see monster divots just laying a few feet from the mark and I think how lazy can people be.

People who take forever looking for a ball. On a busy weekend, with both carts steaming back and forth on the fairway for 10 muntes looking for a ball like it's the bleeping holy grail. Drop one, take the penalty and play on for crying out loud.

And people who don't fix ball marks. Actually, in a way I kind of like that, because it gives me the chance to fix a couple extra marks and feel morally superior :)

Not only slow players, but slow groups!!! The last three times I have been to one course in my area I've gotten behind groups that play one shot at at time. For instance when the three-some or four-some ahead gets off the tee, they all drive out together in the fairway and the following happens:

1. Player one gets out of his cart and walks over to check his ball while the others sit in their carts,

2. Player one walks back to the cart to get a club,walks back to his ball,

3. Player one takes some practice swings and walks back to cart to change clubs,

4. Player one takes more practice swings and finally hits the ball, walks back to his cart.

5. All players then drive to player two's ball.

6. Player two gets out of his cart and walks over to check his ball while the others sit in their carts,

7. Player two walks back to the cart to get a club,walks back to his ball,

8. Player two takes some practice swings and walks back to cart to change clubs,

9. Player two takes more practice swings and finally hits the ball, walks back to his cart.

10. All players then drive to player three's ball.

11. Player three gets out of his cart and walks over to check his ball while the others sit in their carts,

12. Player three walks back to the cart to get a club,walks back to his ball,

13. Player three takes some practice swings and walks back to cart to change clubs,

14. Player three takes more practice swings and finally hits the ball, walks back to his cart.

15. All players then drive to player four's ball.

16. Player four gets out of his cart and walks over to check his ball while the others sit in their carts,

17. Player four walks back to the cart to get a club,walks back to his ball,

18. Player four takes some practice swings and walks back to cart to change clubs,

19. Player four takes more practice swings and finally hits the ball, walks back to his cart.

20. All players then drive to the next spots where they have hit their balls and start the whole process over again.

What is worse is when the course marshal won't do anything to the offending group ahead for fear that they will be offended and not come back. (This is what one marshal told me and my playing partners at this course.)

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

A foursome in in carts who both drive up to the farthest ball in the middle of the fairway, stop, get out, look, get back in their carts and both drive 100 yds back to the shortest ball. All 4 get out of the cart until the guy hits and then all 4 drive to the next shortest ball, get out watch that person hit and on and on and on.

Most of mine have been said already so I'll add this one...when playing with people I don't know giving me gimmies from 3-4 feet! Don't touch the ball and don't assume I take gimmies! Man I hate that...almost worse than that is the ranger who speeds up towards our group and tells us to speed up and hit our balls when were 216 away from the green on a par 5 with people putting out....ah man this thread has now made me rage haha...

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

I hate the putter head scoop on the hole too.

I also hate when people stand right behind me when I hit or putt and I can still see them.

People talking when you are over the ball.

People that wait till it is their turn to start reading a putt or start to get a yardage.

Having to tell people that it is their turn to hit in the fairway, but then they steal your honors on the next tee.

Asking me a question about how to fix their slice and then saying I cant do that without even trying.

Telling me great shot before it lands and the balls doesnt even hit the green or I have a 50 footer.

Yelling BINGO! when my putt is 3 foot from the hole

Asking me to try my driver, because obviously it is the club and not all the time I spent practicing

Wow, alot of you guys are legitimately angry ;)

Unrepaired pitch marks tops the list for me. I know how hard our superintendent and his crew works to keep our greens running a a smooth and consistent 12 on the stimp, but unfortunately drunk league guys think their pitch marks will magically disappear by next week. But fixing them gives me something to do while I wait for the next tee to clear, and it makes me feel better that there are some players who care.

Slow play, bad cart management etc doesn't bother me so much. Some people just are oblivious to the world, nothing you can do about that.

[sign here]

Slow play in general, but with particular emphasis on needless delay.

e.g.

People who insist on waiting for a green to clear from 270 yards away - even though they flushed their best drive of the day to get to where they are and it only went 230.

Leaving a trolley in a silly place - which means they have to ponce about walking across or over the green to retrieve it simply because they were incapable of using some common sense whilst playing the hole and didn't take a blind bit of notice of the big sign, in 2 foot lettering, on the opposite side of the green pointing out the next tee. This particular pet hate is ramped up to staggeringly high annoyance levels when the idiot has been a member for thirty-odd years and knows full well where the next tee is.

People who do anything but have a look at their own line whilst someone else is waiting to putt - before religiously entering into a long-winded routine only when their turn to putt arrives and not a moment before.

People who hold up play by taking umpteen to get out of a bunker when, even from 200 yards away, you can see that their technique's crap and they're trying to scoop it out. These people almost make me want to jog up with a sand wedge in hand, demonstrate a proper bunker shot technique with a spare ball, and remark 'for Christ's sake, give yourself a bloody chance at getting it out today mate' before going back to my ball and sitting for another few minutes whilst they have another flailing session. I know it's harsh, but my father does this, despite being pretty solid at all other aspects of the game, and it infuriates me why he can't just learn the basic bunker technique and just copy it to save us all growing a beard whenever he finds a bunker. I know the 'easiest shot in golf' mantra gets overdone a bit when it comes to greenside bunker shots, and I'm perhaps being a bit sharp since I've always been a decent sand player, but honestly; make some sort of a proper effort at it mate.

Iron covers. Bit of an illogical one this; and there's no scientific basis behind it - but whenever I turn up on the first tee and the group ahead of us is a fourball with a couple of sets of iron covers proudly on display in big trolley bags I can't help but think 'this is going to be a bloody long day then..' A good chance of lots of balls being searched for, and infuriating views of people scrubbing and polishing away with the old brush/then the wet towel/then the dry towel/then the club put back in its allotted spot in the bag, then double checked to be in its allotted spot in the bag/ then the iron cover replaced/iron cover wiped with wet towel/iron cover wiped with dry towel/cord-thing adjusted so it's not twisted obsessive compulsive disorder routine - all in the middle of the fairway and whilst we're sitting on the grass making daisy chains whilst waiting for it all to come to end and hoping that Oswald hasn't cocked up the order of things thus meaning he'll have to start afresh. The only upside to this is when you see Oswald hit a bunker shot - and then examine his club before his knees buckle and we see him having a combined angina attack and nervous breakdown when he realises he's put a scratch on the chrome of his shiny club. The one that's designed to be thumped repeatedly into abrasive sand. First class schadenfreude if ever there was any after you've been behind it all day and never been let through.

People who you play in a scratch medal and, despite you going out and hitting all but one faiway and 16 greens in regulation, beat you by two strokes despite consistently finding places that would have the SAS struggling to survive and hitting all of six greens - since they hole twelve foot putts in their sleep and haven't taken three to get down from thirty yards since one wet Saturday afternoon sometime in the mid 1970s. Shaking their hand and saying 'well played mate. You deserved to win' in a way that sounds remotely sincere is about as easy as shaking the hand of a Nazi war criminal and saying 'it's all in the past now..' Torture. Not quite as bad as Oswald and his iron covers, but bad...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

1. People who don't repair their ball marks and divots annoy me to no end.

2. People who don't play "ready golf"

3. Friends who think any thing inside 5 feet is a gimme but can't make a 3 foot putt to save their lives.

4. The overbearing husband/dad insists on teaching his wife/child during the round and is losing his temper when they don't do what he says. Just let them play and enjoy the game. The range is for teaching. Especially when he should pay more attention to his own game, because he's not breaking 100.

#1 Players who think they are good enough to throw a fit after every fat/thin/shanked/topped/sliced/hooked/short/long shot.

Tied for #1 Courses that don't tell you they punched and sanded the greens that day. It sucks getting on in regulation on the first hole only to find out you're putting on that.

#2 Slow foursomes who don't let fast twosomes go through

#3 Shooting 13 strokes better than a buddy, but still owing him a little bit of money since you gave him 3 a side. (same as above poster, just less severe)

The guy who wont put his cell phone on silent!

Geese sh*t on the greens, in my line, on the fairway! Can we just shoot em all? :lol:

Cigarette butts, ball marks, sunflower seeds on the green. Shoot these guys too! They should know better!

The guy fishing for balls for 10 minutes while u r trying to tee off!

And damn near everthing above my post.

It's Saturday or Sunday, and a tee time is made by one person and they say it is for 4 people. So at 9:10 on Saturday morning, 3 adults and one 7 year old tee off from the Blue tee's. Knowing this 7 year old is going to have to hit it at least 6 or 7 times to even get to the green. And this being if the kid has any talent.

But the child gets to play with Daddy. Never mind how long it takes.

I have two son's who will be 19 and 17 this year. I made them small golf clubs from components from Golfworks when they were about 5. They did not get to play on the course itself, until they could prove to me they could hit the ball farther than 150 yards, and could chip it on the green. Not back and forth, back and forth. And then we would go to the 200 yard marker or even the 150 yard marker to tee off.

I hate parents that drop kids off at the golf course with their clubs, sign the form that says they can drive a cart, and they will pay for damages, expecting the pro's to be all day baby sitters.

People who reload from 200 yards (tin cup) when a group is waiting behind them.

Weekend golfer who thinks 4 to 5 practice swings per shot will fix their problems.

The four letter word guy on the practice range as he moves the earth with his fat chunks.

People late for their tee times.

Driver: Epic, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec
3Wood: Titlest 917, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec
Hybrid: Cobra Fly Z, Fujikura Pro
Irons: 4 - PW, Mizuno MP-15, DG X-flex soft stepped
Wedges: 50" Hogan, 54 Vokey M grind/ 58 SM6 K Grind - KBS Tour
Putter: Scotty, Newport 2.6
Ball: Taylor Made TP5
"How come when some of the most successful people put on golf shoes their IQ drops 50 points?" -Me